Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Affirmed: Study that 'g ay' family children more troubled

delta22

A) The very statement of mine you quoted makes it clear I do NOT suggest falsification, but rather make it obvious that you don't understand what I am saying, but just lashing out at my negative view of this research.

B) This study came out of a Texas university. Do you really think they did not have a personal agenda, expecting to find that kids of same sex marriages were somehow worse off? Really? Do you think this team would have received funding and approval for their project otherwise?

I'm just saying that this kind of scientific bias is VERY common amongst researchers in general, so we all need to be very wary of so-called proofs of this or that without looking hard at the protocols, and the researchers themselves. This study is NOT proof, but it does raise an issue that merits further, unbiased, study.

Peace, Prosperity, and Good Science

Why is it so difficult to understand and accept the fact that we can be different in our sexual orientations and all have the right to express their sexuality as long as they don't abuse others?

I happen to be heterosexual ( I was born that way so there's no merit or anything about it . It's just fate) and I have a few non- hetero friends and I get along great, obviously....

Besides, they're usually very intelligent Individuals but that's not the point. They have the right to love and be loved like everyone else... Not rocket science apparently.

Again... For all harshly judging others homo sexuality.......What if you had an homosexual in your family? Would you have difficulties in keeping on loving them and accept their sexuality? Don't say its impossible because Mom and Dad are real men and women cos it has nothing to do with that and it just can happen anyway.

Edited by umbertino

Why is it so difficult to understand and accept the fact that we can be different in our sexual orientations and all have the right to express their sexuality as long as they don't abuse others?

I happen to be heterosexual ( I was born that way so there's no merit or anything about it . It's just fate) and I have a few non- hetero friends and I get along great, obviously....

Besides, they're usually very intelligent Individuals but that's not the point. They have the right to love and be loved like everyone else... Not rocket science apparently.

Again... For all harshly judging others homo sexuality.......What if you had an homosexual in your family? Would you have difficulties in keeping on loving them and accept their sexuality? Don't say its impossible because Mom and Dad are real men and women cos it has nothing to do with that and it just can happen anyway.

Who said anything about hate or love?....You gayer's are sure quick to

jump on that easy out......The study is about children, try to stay on topic, and

dont go off into whether gayism is right or not.....The children are the concern here,

not your gayrificic ideology. ;)

I forgot to add...Austin is the most Liberal city in Texas,

the University of Texas at Austin is where a lot of them are located. ;)

Edited by cris
  • Upvote 1

A) The very statement of mine you quoted makes it clear I do NOT suggest falsification, but rather make it obvious that you don't understand what I am saying, but just lashing out at my negative view of this research.

cool.gif This study came out of a Texas university. Do you really think they did not have a personal agenda, expecting to find that kids of same sex marriages were somehow worse off? Really? Do you think this team would have received funding and approval for their project otherwise?

I'm just saying that this kind of scientific bias is VERY common amongst researchers in general, so we all need to be very wary of so-called proofs of this or that without looking hard at the protocols, and the researchers themselves. This study is NOT proof, but it does raise an issue that merits further, unbiased, study.

Peace, Prosperity, and Good Science

I interpreted your statement as how people insert disqualifiers into their statements by saying something like, "I'm not saying he beats his wife" or "Bless his heart, he's not the smartest kid on the block." and then go on to criticize whatever the subject matter is they don't agree with.

And to insinuate that "The University of Texas in Austin" has an Anti-g*a*y* agenda, laugh.gif you've NEVER been to Austin, have you!?!? laugh.gif

-

• Upvote 2

Delta, I for one have been enjoying reading your posts (especially the ones with humor, they make my day:) and I thoroughly appreciate your ability to copy and paste, if that is a major contributor to your ability to share! I, for one, am confident in my own abilities to further research anything without a link, if I desire more info.

But mostly I am responding to this to say that as an adult child of a mother who is *** I really appreciated seeing the information you posted. Being in a "***" family actually gave me even more conviction to not be ***, made me extremely more curious and appreciative of men, who around our house were nonexistent and mysterious creatures. It took years of therapy to overcome depression serious enough to have been on disability and through the success of therapy I was thankfully able to return to work and am grateful that I am not in the category of the unemployed in the above research. I'll plead the 5th on the smoking issue but will admit that my over curiosity about men led to an extramarital affair which I felt so guilty about I left my first husband and love of my life without telling him why, because i couldnt bear to hurt him with the truth. So for me, this research rings true that we not just "assume" the kids are all right. Those of us who are adults grew up in a less accepting world and were "closeted" ourselves by not wanting anyone to find out about our parents lifestyle. I realize it is much more "accepted" now.

The flip side for me is that I was moved to Alabama for my mom to be with her partner and it is here that I found and married the father of my children. I can't imagine my life without my two beautiful children, and I would go through it all again just to be with them. So my situation had a silver lining, but I would be curious to know if many children of divorce, not just of those whose parents lived and alternative lifestyle, had similar issues as found in this study. It is my personal belief that the disintegration of the family as a stable home has resulted in many of today's children having to navigate through instability in their home life. I see this first hand every day as a teacher. I began teaching in 1986 and I can tell you the percentage of children from a stable original mom and dad home has declined steadily every year. Its a very small percent of the class I have this year. I pray for my own children and the children that I teach that they will be successful and happy adults, capable of handling whatever comes there way. For my children, going to church, reading and discussing the Bible with them, helping them to know Jesus and have a personal relationship with Him, has been our way of knowing we are loved and learning how to love others. Even though I am a single mother (not by my choice this time, their dad left when my youngest was 3 months old) I feel that with God as the Father of my household, my family is a happy one, full of love.

So thank you for your post Delta, it hit close to home for me, literally. And made me reflect how far I've come from hating my family situation as a little girl to growing up to accept the things I cannot change, having the strength to change the things that I can, and growing in wisdom to know the difference so I can be the loving, happy mother I am today...

• Upvote 2

I'm afraid this study will fall under the general, and well populated, category of "Bad Science" for one simple reason: the researchers went into this "expecting" and hoping for the kind of "results" they got. I am NOT suggesting falsification, but rather the effect this has on "good faith" interpretation of the data.

There is a lot of this kind of "inappropriate" investigation out there simply because we are human. So, what I am saying is that the researchers went into this study with bias, and by definition that makes it bad science. Good science is a study that just wants to see if there really is a difference, and if so, what it is. If you really hope and expect a specific result, you almost always think you found it.

Studies on new drugs are fraught with this problem. There are loads of racist studies that "prove" the inferiority of non-whatever races.

Another issue I have with this study is that it definitely may not have measured what they intended to. Namely, even if kids from same-sex families have more issues, they were probably caused by how others (classmates, teachers) treated them! NOT the actual home environment. Imagine some of the teasing and worse they could have endured (by kids of Good Christian parents?) for example. That's gotta leave a mark!

Just saying, as a person with a very strong scientific background, be wary of any study that expects a result and then finds it.

Peace, prosperity, and respect for ALL human rights, including the right to pursue happiness.

"Bad Science", right. :rolleyes: And yet, one of the very first things that "good scientists" do when researching the beginnings of the universe is throw out the possibility of Creation. No bias there....Nah! :shakehead:

I'm afraid this study will fall under the general, and well populated, category of "Bad Science" for one simple reason: the researchers went into this "expecting" and hoping for the kind of "results" they got. I am NOT suggesting falsification, but rather the effect this has on "good faith" interpretation of the data.

There is a lot of this kind of "inappropriate" investigation out there simply because we are human. So, what I am saying is that the researchers went into this study with bias, and by definition that makes it bad science. Good science is a study that just wants to see if there really is a difference, and if so, what it is. If you really hope and expect a specific result, you almost always think you found it.

Studies on new drugs are fraught with this problem. There are loads of racist studies that "prove" the inferiority of non-whatever races.

Another issue I have with this study is that it definitely may not have measured what they intended to. Namely, even if kids from same-sex families have more issues, they were probably caused by how others (classmates, teachers) treated them! NOT the actual home environment. Imagine some of the teasing and worse they could have endured (by kids of Good Christian parents?) for example. That's gotta leave a mark!

Just saying, as a person with a very strong scientific background, be wary of any study that expects a result and then finds it.

Peace, prosperity, and respect for ALL human rights, including the right to pursue happiness.

I agree with your last statement and about everyone's right to pursue happiness. As a teacher, I take offense at your statement about teachers treating children differently due to their parents lifestyle. I have never known anyone in my profession to do this and I have known many children in various schools in which I've taught to have openly *** parents! As professionals, it would be unethical and it would be repremandible to do so! Furthermore as for your statement about classmates teasing doing "the damage"

so to speak, while I agree it could and does happen, at least in my case my classmates never knew about my mom (that I knew of) and I was never teased. My mom wasn't openly *** for her own reasons and I was sworn to "secrecy" when I discovered the truth at the age of 15. Ten years later when I was considering marrying my college sweetheart, she suggested that I discuss her lifestyle with him before we got married. It took a whole year of therapy to utter the words, "my mom is ***" not because I was afraid, but because I felt ashamed and "different" because of living in someone's secret and being closeted myself. When I finally told my then boyfriend/future husband his response was surprising and wonderful all at the same time! Before he'd ever asked me out he went to his big brother in his fraternity to ask him if he knew me since we had gone to the same high school. His fraternity brother told him that he (my boyfriend) wouldn't want to date me because my mother was ***! So not only did he know about my mother before we ever went out, but apparently people in my high school knew, and regardless of their personal opinions had never once been mean to me or teased me about it! (thankfully)

As I stated in a previous response, my life was similarly affected as with those adult children in the research study and no matter where the study was done or what "bias" was brought to the study, at least someone cared enough about the subject to research, bring the topic to the surface and further research could bring even more understanding. I'm a loving daughter who was forced to live with the issues of how society has mistreated gays and how it affected my mother and my family, but only one other time have seen the topic of the effect this lifestyle had on children brought to light. The last time was twenty years ago when Barbara Walters had a special about it. Her special brought to light the need for children to have positive role models representing the gender not in the home ( in my case a male). (I agreed with her whole heartedly, since their was a lot if "man-bashing" in my home due to their biased views against men.)

It was refreshing to see this study important enough to do and more research could only help make our society a more understanding and perhaps empathetic one where the negative issues surrounding anyone's lifestyle, whatever they may

be, be resolved for all to be allowed to grow up happily.

Actually, the energy for the Big Bang (if there was one) had to come from somewhere. God had to come from somewhere. Absolutely nothing "just is and always has been". Studying the process of creation does not preclude involvement of a deity, but it does assume that the biblical account is a metaphor the ancients would understand and accept.

But even the Big Bang Theory has no answer I am aware of for where the initial singularity came from. The universe may be cyclical, expanding, contracting, re-exploding - but I hate that idea because I really need a beginning that is finite. Yet, no matter what we find is an earlier state of all that is, IT had to come from somewhere. It makes my brain hurt!

As far as discounting Creationism, I'm afraid the evidence is against it, but the study of science can easily be accepted as an investigation into the details of how God made the universe so it will function without constant, conscious manipulation to keep it going. Even if we finally find the smallest building blocks of all matter/energy, and know what their properties are, we will NOT understand WHY those properties exist and work as they do.

Science will NEVER be able to prove that there is no God. Just improve our understanding of His work. I see no real need to make faith and science complete opposites, but I understand why fundamentalists really have to believe that they are. I try to accept this, but in truth that way of thinking (believing) is so foreign to me that I struggle, as I don't really understand it.

I guess all I can say is we much each be true to ourselves, and accept that each "truth" is different (but this goes against my scientific framework of one truth for all).

Peace, Prosperity and Tolerance