Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

California okays driving licenses for some illegal immigrants

uncirculd

This just gripes me. Illegal and now a license to vote. All those who went through the LAW of immigration and not illegally did it for not. All we had to do was just hide for years and then they give me a license? Never mind that I had to wait 3 years for the papers to finish. I am documented legally and this takes the cake. I am seeing a pattern here. All those states requiring an ID to vote are being pushed aside and called unconstitutional. Bull! So this is? It's breaking federal immigration laws giving them a license and work permits. All this I had to go through and it was hell. All papers had to be in order. And all I had to do was hang out for a while and get it anyways??? This country is hypocritical. This country is turning so dark that most can't see forest for the trees. Anyone see Jericho? Watch it, cause that's probably what our country has in store for us. Since we are run by big business who are so disconnected with life in general, and got control of this ridiculous 2 party country. My problem on this election this year is which one is slower at giving up our sovereignty. Both are bought and paid for. Ya know, I hadn't look at the website lately to see what all our presidents have made in their executive orders. Not to mention that calif & new york seem to set the trend of evils.

This article here is telling me that we don't have immigration laws. It's telling me that everyone illegal can get documented, work, and vote. Never mind all those who went through the system and did it right and waited for work permits and WHO CANNOT VOTE BECAUSE THEY ARE RESIDENTS NOT CITIZENS!!! So show ID! That law is a joke too. Anyone can get an ID. This is voter fraud at it's finest, and our government is helping it. I see the big picture. They are dividing us again. They get what they want (UNREST) and then they come up with a global ID. Chip in you, tattoo or whatever. Does anyone see this as EVIL as I see it?? All those getting license and work permits don't have a clue what the government is doing. They are DOCUMENTING THEM. Hello, getting a census to know just who is here. Doesn't mean this folks are bad, well, some are but that's not the point I am getting at. Where is the rule of LAW. Presidents can do what the heck they want with executive orders. I think it would be better than ALL laws be voted "BY THE PEOPLE". Congress needs to go away. They are not on our side.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/08/31/us-usa-immigration-licenses-idUSBRE87U08520120831

By Mary Slosson

SACRAMENTO | Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:29am EDT

(Reuters) - California lawmakers approved a bill on Thursday to allow some young illegal immigrants who came to the United States as children to obtain driving licenses, in a move that could appeal to Hispanic voters in the heavily Democratic state.

The bill, which passed the state Assembly by a 55-15 vote before being sent to the desk of Democratic Governor Jerry Brown, was introduced following the announcement of a federal program to relax deportation rules and grant some young immigrants temporary legal status in the United States.

"It is a victory for those who were brought here through no fault of their own, played by the rules, and are only asking to be included in and contribute to American society," the bill's sponsor, Assembly member Gilbert Cedillo, said in a statement

He added that he was confident Brown would sign it into law.

The bill's passage marks the latest chapter in a long-running national battle over how to handle illegal immigrants that has seen California's legislature emerge as a major proponent of integration into mainstream society of undocumented migrants who came as children.

California's stance on the matter has been in stark contrast with other states such as Arizona that have passed laws that sought to clamp down on such immigrants. California has the largest population of undocumented immigrants in the United States, with nearly 2.6 million at the start of 2010.

The "deferred action for childhood arrivals" permits shield them from deportation for at least two years so long as they were younger than 16 when they came to the United States, have lived in the country since June 15, 2007, and have not been convicted of a felony. They must be at least 15 years of age and no older than 30 when they apply.

As many as 1.7 million people could qualify for the program, which enables them to apply for work permits, Social Security cards and driver's licenses, according to the Pew Hispanic Center. But some states, such as Arizona and Nebraska, have said they would not grant benefits including driver's licenses to "deferred action" migrants.

California's driver's license bill had already passed the state Senate in a 25-7 vote on Wednesday.

President Barack Obama, whose administration has aggressively deported illegal immigrants with criminal backgrounds, said in June that he was moving to help this group of youth - many of them Hispanic - who have become increasingly vocal in calling for immigration relief.

Republicans have criticized the policy nod to young undocumented immigrants as a political ploy in an election year to help win the Latino vote.

Three U.S. states currently allow undocumented immigrants to obtain a driver's license: New Mexico, Utah, and Washington.

The bill follows a series of pro-immigrant measures passed by California in the current legislative session. California lawmakers have also passed an immigration bill that activists have dubbed the "Anti-Arizona" that would shield some illegal immigrants from status checks by local police.

Earlier this week, the governor also signed into law a bill encouraging state schools to teach the history of a post-World War Two guest worker program that brought close to 5 million Mexican agricultural laborers into the country over two decades.

• Upvote 1

It is really pathetic that we have lawmakers that believe the word illegal means a free pass as long as it ensures them votes. I am not against immigration, just illegal immigration and I just do not fathom why our appointed lawmakers believe it is okay to overlook what is right. Whatever happened to them representing the good of the people?

• Upvote 1

California is getting what they are deserving. They are going broke. Yet California has been able to spend billions and billions to illegals, families, children, medical, benefits, education, scholarships, and other expenses. California is also filing for bankruptcy city after city. Now California is trying to overlook legal verses illegal and give driver's license. California has been basically giving money by the semi loads to Mexico through the illegals.

• Upvote 2

It's sad because it is a beautiful state. I miss it as it was in the 60's. Still had orange groves and open space. The pacific is an awesome spot. But beach houses are cheaper in San Onofre, we used to get some right on the beach for vacation.

Anymore, I wonder. Don't have a clue. Loved watching the sunset at the beach. Looks like it falls off the earth. Oh wow, I am dreaming now. Miss that freezing cold water with awesome waves for surfing/boogie board. Or whatever your poison is for the ocean.

The local governments there are so corrupt. It ain't funny. Cities are going broke and I thought it was bad when I was there. I bet the violence has stepped up and police force down.

• Upvote 1

California is getting what they are deserving. They are going broke. Yet California has been able to spend billions and billions to illegals, families, children, medical, benefits, education, scholarships, and other expenses. California is also filing for bankruptcy city after city. Now California is trying to overlook legal verses illegal and give driver's license. California has been basically giving money by the semi loads to Mexico through the illegals.

Yes, and now governor Brown is crying for more money for schools, the ones that are filled up with illegal aliens, the ones that get instate tuition, grants (government and private)Then spend the rest on a bullet train when we are in debt up to our eye balls. Insanity at it's greatest. :blink: