Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Unions on Romney’s VP choice: Wrong for America

umbertino

by: John Wojcik

August 13 2012

Unions are condemning Mitt Romney's choice of Paul Ryan as his running mate, calling it "wrong for America."

"Whether it's outsourcing American jobs or picking his running mate, Mitt Romney's proven just how bad his decision making is for working people," declared AFL-CIO President Richard Trumka. "Aligning himself with the poster-child for ending Medicare and Social Security puts to rest any suggestion that Romney has a clue what the middle class needs. We're witnessing the radical Tea Party extremes drive its final nail in what was once the Republican Party."

"Romney's announcement affirms he is a captive of the tea baggers' extremist mentality who have hi-jacked the Republican Party and are firmly in control of the agenda," said United Steelworkers President Leo Gerard. "Social Security, Medicare, veterans, education, and infrastructure - everything is to be offered up on an altar of sacrifice to fund more tax breaks for the rich.

"Over the next few days," added Gerard, "We will expose the Romney-Ryan agenda. We stand with President Obama and Vice President Biden at another major moment in the campaign."

"The distinctions between Obama-Biden and Romney-Ryan couldn't be any clearer," said the American Federation of State County and Municipal Employees in a statement. "President Obama and Vice President Biden are fighting for everyone to have a fair shot at the American Dream. Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan are plotting a nightmare for middle-class families."

Calling the Romney-Ryan ticket the "most out-of-touch national ticket in decades," the American Federation of Teachers said, in a statement, that "Rep. Ryan's record speaks for itself. He would reduce, not expand, real opportunities for all students to have access to high quality public education. He would repeal the health care reform law that is helping millions of Americans gain access to the medical care they need. And he is the architect of the radical Republican budget that would end Medicare as we know it."

The Amalgamated Transit Union said of Ryan, "His policies are those of a class warrior who would drive most Americans into poverty."

"Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan are cut from the same cloth," said the Michigan State AFL-CIO. "As CEO of Bain Capital, Romney made his fortune by hollowing out the dreams of ordinary American workers. The Romney-Ryan budget would wreak the same kind of economic damage on households nationwide."

The Center for American Progress has issued a list of top 10 reasons why the Romney-endorsed Ryan budget, adopted by the full Republican House, is a disaster for working people.

These include: Tax cuts for the rich larger than the windfall they got from President Bush; ending Medicare as we know it; throwing 47 million off of healthcare over the next 10 years; drastic increases in unemployment; cuts of $871 billion in education, job training, scientific research and transportation infrastructure over the next 10 years; handouts of $40 billion in new tax breaks to oil companies over the next 10 years; slashing of Social Security benefits for most recipients - but not for the wealthiest ones.

The Ryan plan runs almost exactly opposite to the opinions of the majority, according to recent polls.

Large majorities think the rich should pay higher taxes, with 70 percent saying Medicare should continue operating as it currently does.

http://www.peoplesworld.org/unions-on-romney-s-vp-choice-wrong-for-america/

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 18

Let's see, all you Union big wigs. What's your salary? How much vacation time do you get? Sick time? Outrageous Pension plans? Are you exempt from BarryCare? And let me guess, you are going on strike at the next available opportunity to get more and more and more for less and less production. How deep into Barry's pants are you with contributions here and contributions there?

Have you considered the second biggest reason for Big Companies to move overseas is you? You've just got to try harder to overtake number 1 - the federal government!

• Upvote 18
  • Downvote 1

Umbertino, I could not tell if you are for or against the article you posted. The article quoted unions, unions, unions, and federal and municipal unions. What part of who is the problem you don't understand THE UNIONS are bad. Government workers and people who are recievers are complaining that to me seems good too. The freedom our forefathers fought for is being stripped away. We are losing to the LOSERS. If the entitlement people win this election you might as well throw your dinars in the fire you won't get to keep much of the profit from them.

• Upvote 6

I have yet to see a union thats worth the powder to blow it to hell. Unions are part of the problem. Most definitly not part of the solution.

In fact, unions make up an enormous chunk of the problems we face in America. There was a place for them early in the 1900's, but that place has long been gone. Now they are the destroyers of American business--although they may add a bit of cash to worker's pockets for a little while, they have pushed so far and shoved business to the background so deeply that unions have now become anathama to business in America. Then they turn around and give the money they fleece from workers to keep Obama and others of his ilk in power, people who are intent on destroying business. What has Obama done for business lately? Nothing. And when they are finished destroying American businesses, the workers will have nowhere else to go to earn their wages, and where will any of us be then?

August 13 2012

Unions are condemning Mitt Romney's choice of Paul Ryan as his running mate, calling it "wrong for America."

"Whether it's outsourcing American jobs or picking his running mate, Mitt Romney's proven just how bad his decision making is for working people," declared AFL-CIO President Richard Trumka. "Aligning himself with the poster-child for ending Medicare and Social Security puts to rest any suggestion that Romney has a clue what the middle class needs. We're witnessing the radical Tea Party extremes drive its final nail in what was once the Republican Party."

"Romney's announcement affirms he is a captive of the tea baggers' extremist mentality who have hi-jacked the Republican Party and are firmly in control of the agenda," said United Steelworkers President Leo Gerard. "Social Security, Medicare, veterans, education, and infrastructure - everything is to be offered up on an altar of sacrifice to fund more tax breaks for the rich.

"Over the next few days," added Gerard, "We will expose the Romney-Ryan agenda. We stand with President Obama and Vice President Biden at another major moment in the campaign."

"The distinctions between Obama-Biden and Romney-Ryan couldn't be any clearer," said the American Federation of State County and Municipal Employees in a statement. "President Obama and Vice President Biden are fighting for everyone to have a fair shot at the American Dream. Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan are plotting a nightmare for middle-class families."

Calling the Romney-Ryan ticket the "most out-of-touch national ticket in decades," the American Federation of Teachers said, in a statement, that "Rep. Ryan's record speaks for itself. He would reduce, not expand, real opportunities for all students to have access to high quality public education. He would repeal the health care reform law that is helping millions of Americans gain access to the medical care they need. And he is the architect of the radical Republican budget that would end Medicare as we know it."

The Amalgamated Transit Union said of Ryan, "His policies are those of a class warrior who would drive most Americans into poverty."

"Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan are cut from the same cloth," said the Michigan State AFL-CIO. "As CEO of Bain Capital, Romney made his fortune by hollowing out the dreams of ordinary American workers. The Romney-Ryan budget would wreak the same kind of economic damage on households nationwide."

The Center for American Progress has issued a list of top 10 reasons why the Romney-endorsed Ryan budget, adopted by the full Republican House, is a disaster for working people.

These include: Tax cuts for the rich larger than the windfall they got from President Bush; ending Medicare as we know it; throwing 47 million off of healthcare over the next 10 years; drastic increases in unemployment; cuts of $871 billion in education, job training, scientific research and transportation infrastructure over the next 10 years; handouts of $40 billion in new tax breaks to oil companies over the next 10 years; slashing of Social Security benefits for most recipients - but not for the wealthiest ones.

The Ryan plan runs almost exactly opposite to the opinions of the majority, according to recent polls.

Large majorities think the rich should pay higher taxes, with 70 percent saying Medicare should continue operating as it currently does.

Anything R. Trumpka wants, I'm against!! Big time against!!

• Upvote 5

The way the big unions have become, if they are against Romney's VP choice that makes me want to be for him even more. The big unions, not all unions, have lost their original purpose. They were supposed to be to protect the worker and create a safe work environment. The big unions today have simply become a democrat mouthpiece and piggy bank. People thought that the big unions were corrupt during the days of Jimmy Hoffa. Personally, I don't even think that the mob would support today's present big unions like the auto unions and SEIU because they would make the mob even look bad.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Oh man....great responses from everyone, nothing else to add

Except I agree 100% and as a few have said, if the unions are

against Ryan, he must be the right guy.

The Unions being the perfect reverse barometer. :D

• Upvote 5

The way the big unions have become, if they are against Romney's VP choice that makes me want to be for him even more. The big unions, not all unions, have lost their original purpose. They were supposed to be to protect the worker and create a safe work environment. The big unions today have simply become a democrat mouthpiece and piggy bank. People thought that the big unions were corrupt during the days of Jimmy Hoffa. Personally, I don't even think that the mob would support today's present big unions like the auto unions and SEIU because they would make the mob even look bad.

oooppsss....meant to say that the unions would make the mobs look good....

It wouldnt have mattered who he picked. The response would still be the same.

He could just about have picked Hillarious Clinton and the article would have been word for word the same.

• Upvote 5

Well I guess it's a matter of which side of the fence your on. I come from a long line of union tradesman/craftsman who worked hard all of their lives and where real pro's at what they did.

My union of 32 yrs (IBEW) was formed in the early days of electrification of our nation as 1 out of 2 electrical workers where getting injured or killed. They where being paid pittance and didn't even have medical insurance for a very dangerous job.

They organized and both the workers and the country benefitted, fair wages and benefits where established along with safety standards and protocols that set the standard for many other industries.

I've heard the same anti-union rhetoric spewed from the mouth of the ignorant uninitiated that don't have a clue concerning the scope of unions.

Granted some unions are outdated and not necessary IMHO. A lot of federal/state employee unions fall into this category the way they are set up now.

Trade unions are absolutely important to the average working stiff and unlike some unions they negotiate with union contractors and don't recieve any taxpayer money.

Corporations/companies created unions out of their greed and lack of concern for their employee's, I live in a right to work (mostly non-union) state and the wages/conditions/benefits are not very good if it wasn't for unions the average working man would still be working 60hrs a week for a lot less money and forget medical/health insurance.

My pension check cashes every month and affords my wife and I a comfortable lifestyle................thank God for unions.

I know I'm greatly outnumbered so bring on the negs!!!!!!!!!!! If you do I hope your light go out............LOL!!

Edited by poppy dinar
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Well I guess it's a matter of which side of the fence your on. I come from a long line of union tradesman/craftsman who worked hard all of their lives and where real pro's at what they did.

My union of 32 yrs (IBEW) was formed in the early days of electrification of our nation as 1 out of 2 electrical workers where getting injured or killed. They where being paid pittance and didn't even have medical insurance for a very dangerous job.

They organized and both the workers and the country benefitted, fair wages and benefits where established along with safety standards and protocols that set the standard for many other industries.

I've heard the same anti-union rhetoric spewed from the mouth of the ignorant uninitiated that don't have a clue concerning the scope of unions.

Granted some unions are outdated and not necessary IMHO. A lot of federal/state employee unions fall into this category the way they are set up now.

Trade unions are absolutely important to the average working stiff and unlike some unions they negotiate with union contractors and don't recieve any taxpayer money.

Corporations/companies created unions out of their greed and lack of concern for their employee's, I live in a right to work (mostly non-union) state and the wages/conditions/benefits are not very good if it wasn't for unions the average working man would still be working 60hrs a week for a lot less money and forget medical/health insurance.

My pension check cashes every month and affords my wife and I a comfortable lifestyle................thank God for unions.

I know I'm greatly outnumbered so bring on the negs!!!!!!!!!!! If you do I hope your light go out............LOL!!

I do not care for unions.I have worked under them and seen them at their worst. But I gave you a plus because I respect your conviction and the way you posed your rebuttal. Good job !.

August 13 2012

The Ryan plan runs almos exactly opposite to the opinions of the majority, according to recent polls.

PROPAGANDA

I know some friends who worked in the N.E part of the country who where part of one of the largest unions. He paid his dues every month like tens of thousands of others for many years. Well when the upcoming contract didn't suit the union at the bargaining table ,they called a strike. The only problem was they only had enough funds to pay strike money for a couple of weeks. It seems the union executive's had been diping into strike money funds using it for extravagant vacations . So the striking workers where left holding the bag. Oh by the way big labor unions don't be seem to be doing so well in greece t,hey one of the reasons greece is in the shape they're in.

• Upvote 2

Iam Not a Union Man.

But if You hate Unions better be prepared!.

1. If Your House is on Fire, You going to put it out? Fire Department

2.Someone Robbed You or attacked Your Family You going to take care of It. Police Department.

3. Having a Stroke or Heart Attack? EMTs. Nurses, Hospital Workers Ect.

4. Lights go out in Your House During a Storm. Power People.

5. Snowing out and You need to get somewhere, Public Works, alot of Jobs.

6. Teach Your Children how to read and write, ect. Teachers.

7. I could go on.

All these People are Union People.

So I would think Long and Hard before I Bad Mouthed theses Folks.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I have yet to see a union thats worth the powder to blow it to hell. Unions are part of the problem. Most definitly not part of the solution.

Unfortunately I have to agree with you, however, unions did not start out that way. They started out for the working people who had a great need for help but then because of getting so much money and power, they have evolved into something gross with lots of power which is used to meet their own agendas of personal gain for a chosen few.

• Upvote 3

unions served a useful purpose at one time--to protect the workers. But they have, for the most part, simply outgrown their usefulness and have become so bloated and enlarged that they have attempted to move into political activity, not for the workers, but for the union bosses, and in doing so, they have become a cancer on the land. They are far more destructive than supportive of their members. And in trying to take over so much ownership, they have shown their reality to the world.

• Upvote 1

Iam Not a Union Man.

But if You hate Unions better be prepared!.

1. If Your House is on Fire, You going to put it out? Fire Department

I have sprinklers

2.Someone Robbed You or attacked Your Family You going to take care of It. Police Department.

Only money making traffic tickets are a priority to the PD....they arent NCIS

3. Having a Stroke or Heart Attack? EMTs. Nurses, Hospital Workers Ect.

My doctor and his staff arent in a Union

4. Lights go out in Your House During a Storm. Power People.

Solar, generator, well, rain catchment

5. Snowing out and You need to get somewhere, Public Works, alot of Jobs.

4 wheel drive

6. Teach Your Children how to read and write, ect. Teachers.

I home schooled my children

7. I could go on.

All these People are Union People.

So I would think Long and Hard before I Bad Mouthed theses Folks.

Got any more Unions that I can summarily eliminate...because with all the money people could save, they could afford to take care of themselves. ;)

Edited by cris
  • Upvote 4