Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Economist: Delaying tariff law damaged large productive sectors

Economist: Delaying tariff law damaged large productive sectors

July 3rd, 2012

Baghdad (News)

The Economist said Jamil Antoine, the postponement of the Customs Tariff Act is a blow and a surprise Iraqi industrialists and traders, noting that significant damage to productive sectors.

Said Antoine (News Agency news) on Tuesday that the decision to postpone the tariffs is a blow and a surprise Iraqi industrialists and merchants as a result of the sinking of the Iraqi market and shoddy goods and cheap goods that deprive local merchants and industrialists from drained of their products.

He added: there is no access depends on the transmitting of opportunities for non-application of customs tariffs and the opening of borders to enter foreign goods from all States without specifications, standardization and quality control for satisfying the Iraqi market with shoddy Chinese goods as short-lived.

And Antoine: the border regions unprepared for all the goods and commodities supplies entering international laboratories, calling the Government require States shipped goods to Iraq be given certificates of origin and health certificate and specification of the goods sold to the States, indicating that these actions will protect: Iraqi citizen of shoddy goods.

The Economist: stressed on the need for a package of measures includes the provision of infrastructure for the productive sectors and providing soft loans and the provision of electricity in industrial areas and provide fuel for the operation of laboratories and to create and provide specialized technical cadre of sectors to support and strengthen local productive sectors and to reduce unemployment through labour run, in addition to open factories which are defunct (80%) from the private sector and working to resolve the economic problem and adds Iraqi national product Shi.

My link

ALSO, FROM THE LATEST LAW LIBRARY POSTINGS TODAY.......

Decisions of the Council of Ministers meeting No. (27) in 26/6/2012

1. Council of Ministers approved a bill to postpone the application of customs tariff law upon the fulfillment of the conditions of its application a statement issued by the Council of Ministers.

2.To approve the amendment to the Council of Ministers No. (347) for the year 2011 on the construction of (200) school in Baghdad and the provinces to amend paragraph 2 of resolution and extend the duration of contracts for a period of (3) months because of delays in receiving work and accompanying technical measures that are calculated period from the date of the direct work in the month 12/2011, as well as the amendment to paragraph 5 of the resolution to be the fulfillment remaining amounts of Asalaftin Alchgalitin before submitting Aldhirah final action to give sufficient flexibility to the contractor in the implementation of its contractual obligations and is calculated delay penalties according to the instructions and implementation of government contracts and no more than (10%) of the amount of the contract.

3. Agree to inform the Secretariat of the United Nations through the State Department to extend the mandate of the United Nations Mission in Iraq to help a whole year.

4. Authorize the Minister of Transport the authority to negotiate and sign a draft agreement on air transport between the Government of the Republic of Iraq and the Government of the Islamic Republic of Iran, as corrected and amended by the Council of State based on the provisions of Article (80 / item VI) of the Constitution with the Foreign Ministry to prepare a document authorization required on behalf of the Government of the Republic of Iraq to the Minister of Transport in accordance with the approved contexts and submit to the Secretariat of the Council of Ministers for obtaining the signature of the Prime Minister.

5. Authorize the Chairman of the National Investment Agency the authority to negotiate and sign a draft agreement on the encouragement and protection of investment between the Government of the Republic of Iraq and the Governments of the Republics of Armenia, South Korea and Iran, as amended by the Council of State, based on the provisions of Article (80 / item VI) of the Constitution with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to prepare a document authorization required on behalf of the Government of the Republic of Iraq to the President of the National Investment Agency in accordance with the contexts of approved and submit to the Secretariat of the Council of Ministers for obtaining the signature of the Prime Minister.

6. The Ministry of Youth and Sports donated the tools to backup cars (population) and the total value of $ (194.977.073) Euros to the Ministry of electricity based on the provisions of Article (5 / c) of the Implementing Regulations of the Federal budget for the financial year / 2012.

My link

Edited by fnbplanet

I am wondering if anyone has seen for how long? Just until they get people trained or for another whole year/ Did I miss a date in there or do they not have to do that anymore. So disappointing. sad.gif

Oh Thanks Carrello smile.gif Morning Kids smile.gif

Hi Maggie, I couldn't find a date either..... but look at the date this was approved 6/26/2012 and how long it took us to find out for sure.

wish they would move as fast on things going forward as they do on holding things back !!!!!

• Upvote 1

"wish they would move as fast on things going forward as they do on holding things back !!!!! "

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Thanks Shelley for confirming no dates as of yet...

have a great day everyone... off to work YUK , really late as usual . Come on RV !!!!!!

I am wondering if anyone has seen for how long? Just until they get people trained or for another whole year/ Did I miss a date in there or do they not have to do that anymore. So disappointing. sad.gif

Oh Thanks Carrello smile.gif Morning Kids smile.gif

At the earliest, I would imagine after Ramadan spending, about September 1st. More than likely, if they are indeed NOT ready for this, I would guess the first of the year.

At the earliest, I would imagine after Ramadan spending, about September 1st. More than likely, if they are indeed NOT ready for this, I would guess the first of the year.

Thanks Fnbplanet smile.gif

I just have a hard time believing that it would take very long to "train people" seems like a big ole lie to me. They could have had them trained last year!

IMHO

I just have a hard time believing that it would take very long to "train people" seems like a big ole lie to me. They could have had them trained last year!

IMHO

iRAQ time is a lot like Mexican time......or slower! :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

My eleven year old son had the sense to bring me an ad section from the newspaper, showing a sale on back-to-school items.

He may not be ready to run the country of Iraq, but maybe he could handle, say, Colorado, or maybe even Illinois......

IMHO

First, they are already collecting tariffs on the Jordanian and Syria borders that includes a computerized system. Second, they have contracted with four foreign companies (you know, experts) to work the borders. Third, I used to manage about 600 people that were deployed all over the US to perform different tasks for major corporations. I could send in one, or I could send in 100. I have a grasp on what it takes, and it ain't that much. It takes forethought, organization, and getting the best team for the job.

This is bs and somebody does not want the tariffs implemented. Maybe it's all the guys making all the money off the shoddy crap and rotten food coming across the border, ya think.

Hi Maggie. B)

Edited by Carrello
  • Upvote 2

Imposing tariffs on imports at this time would not be in the best interest of the Iraqi's and our investment. Adam has addressed the issue recently. I agree with him.

Implementing a tariff on imported goods will cause harm to the majority of Iraqi's that are struggling financially.

Tariffs would be beneficial to the GOI from a tax revenue stand point. It sounds good on paper but at the end of the day the average Iraqi with have to absorb the additional cost in the products that they rely on to survive. The Iraqi's can't afford it.

That's my synopsis and I'm sticking with it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The GOI has already proved for the last 10 years they don't care about the poor in Iraq. This is all about the money. there are those that are making tons of money and have the connections to delay the tariff act. I disagree with Adam on this one....

• Upvote 2

The GOI has already proved for the last 10 years they don't care about the poor in Iraq. This is all about the money. there are those that are making tons of money and have the connections to delay the tariff act. I disagree with Adam on this one....

Ok. Do you believe that the tariff laws would be a benefit to the Iraqi's and somehow cause a change in the value of IQD? I don't. In fact, an imposed tariff would not be good for Iraq today. That's my opinion.

Yes I do believe the tariff laws would benefit domestic production in Iraq. Whether or not you activate tariffs now or later the poor will always suffer in Iraq. It's all about the money ,and those who are in control have proven a gross lack of sesitivity to the needs of the poor. NO I don't believe the tariffs have anything to do with activating an R/V.

• Upvote 1

First, they are already collecting tariffs on the Jordanian and Syria borders that includes a computerized system. Second, they have contracted with four foreign companies (you know, experts) to work the borders. Third, I used to manage about 600 people that were deployed all over the US to perform different tasks for major corporations. I could send in one, or I could send in 100. I have a grasp on what it takes, and it ain't that much. It takes forethought, organization, and getting the best team for the job.

This is bs and somebody does not want the tariffs implemented. Maybe it's all the guys making all the money off the shoddy crap and rotten food coming across the border, ya think.

Hi Maggie. cool.gif

Thank you Carrello smile.gif Somehow I missed this earlier today.

Really... Thank You, for pointing out how easy this would be to implement.

There is something really stinky here!

Edited by Maggie123

Good morning Maggie,

As long as Maliki is PM, the corruption will continue. Corruption assuredly will always exist, but his group seems to have gotten very blatant about it. Why can't they get a tariffs system implemented when they have known of the effective date for a long time, and has been moved forward three times. Maybe somebody needs new daily planner to get organized.

Iraq has a computerized system in place at the Jordan and Syrian border and are currently collecting millions in tariffs:

"Iraq’s once restive province earns $144 million from border customs

June 4, 2012

The once restive province of Anbar has earned $144 million from taxes imposed on the traffic of goods passing through border points within its administrative frontiers with neighboring Jordan and Syria."

That is $144 million from one province. What's the problem? Why wouldn't they want to collect more revenue and provide more security and adequate goods for their citizens, and the most important goal of tariffs, further in-country development? The trade at the Iranian border is $5 billion a year. and that would provide an abundance of revenue. But that revenue would go into programs that would implement additional monitoring programs, more restrictions and regulations. That isn't good for a crook, and now we know why there is no computerized system collecting tariffs along the Iranian border. The customs / tariffs system also includes checking of individuals, goods, and vehicles as well. Papers please!

The tariffs were a milestone for us as dinar investors. We assumed a revaluation had to take place so that the poor were not burdened with additional cost of goods. The items the poor purchase, food and clothing, were exempted from the tariffs for now anyway. So why the big harumph over the postponement? It moved our goal line. The tariffs have absolutely nothing to do with the RV we are waiting on. Tariffs do not affect the value of currency directly or immediately and will not affect the value of the RV we are awaiting.

The goal of a tariff is to ensure that the product being taxed is fully developed in-country for the good of the people through employment, building of business, and movement and opportunities to move into the international community. A tariff restricts imports which hinder development. If a 1% tariff is collected on grapes and burkas, how much tax is collected if a product is produced in-country, and what benefits result? My sales tax here in California is 9.75%, and if I have to pay the 1% too, these items get pricey. How many employees does it take to produce the grapes and burkas? Those employees buy clothes, food, pay rent, all items used in a healthy community when employment is high. If those products are produced in-country it results in jobs, tax revenue, and improved services, transportation, and maybe a new strip mall or two to make your buying more convenient, and your communities, government, and your country becomes productive and healthy. Does anyone think that the products being imported currently are quality? No, China is importing shoddy good that will need to be replaced, furthering the cycle. Does anyone think that the imported goods are fairly priced? Supply and demand 101. So, a 1% tariff is the cheapest cost on an overpriced, shoddy product, especially if it is rotting food and expired pharmaceuticals, which is the norm.

The tariffs have nothing to do with our goal of an RV: it is simply a milestone. The tariffs have nothing to do with the value of the currency until the country benefits from what the tariffs have provided: an overall healthier, productive country, and that value pales in the shadow of the natural resources iraq has.

What is one of the major goals of Iraq? Full ascension to the WTO, and you see it over and over again in the news as of late, and this week we saw articles that included a request from Iraq for the US to help them rise to full membership. Must be pretty important, and tariff implementation is one of the biggest requirements to obtain ascension.

Unless you are an economist or lawyer on Maliki's payroll, the experts agree that the postponement of the tariffs was a detrimental move for Iraq. Iraq is a one-pony show with oil being the star. Look at what happened with the budget when oil prices dropped: services and programs were going to be cut. Less employment will be an immediate result of that.

The postponement of the tariffs is now part of the equation as to why Maliki and his corrupt cronies have to go because Iraq development is being smothered by this latest move that is absolutely moronic. In order to see this, take a step back and look at the big picture and the international goals and universal laws that paint that picture.

• Upvote 3