Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Iran drafts bill to block Hormuz for Gulf oil tankers

11:21am EDT DUBAI (Reuters) - Iran's National Security and Foreign Policy Committee has drafted a bill calling for Iran to try to stop oil tankers from shipping crude through the Strait of Hormuz to countries that support sanctions against it, a committee member said on Monday.

"There is a bill prepared in the National Security and Foreign Policy committee of Parliament that stresses the blocking of oil tanker traffic carrying oil to countries that have sanctioned Iran," Iranian MP Ibrahim Agha-Mohammadi was quoted by Iran's parliamentary news agency as saying.

"This bill has been developed as an answer to the European Union's oil sanctions against the Islamic Republic of Iran."

Agha-Mohammadi said that 100 of Tehran's 290 members of parliament had signed the bill as of Sunday.

Iranian threats to block the waterway through which about 17 million barrels a day sailed in 2011 have grown in the past year as U.S. and European sanctions aimed at starving Tehran of funds for its nuclear program have tightened.

A heavy western naval presence in the Gulf and surrounding area is a big impediment to any attempt to block the vital shipping route through which sails most of the crude exported from Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Kuwait and Iraq and nearly all the gas exported from Qatar.

A European Union ban on imports of Iranian oil started on Sunday.

(Reporting By Yeganeh Torbati and Daniel Fineren, editing by Jane Baird)

http://www.reuters.c...E8610R920120702

11:21am EDT DUBAI (Reuters) - Iran's National Security and Foreign Policy Committee has drafted a bill calling for Iran to try to stop oil tankers from shipping crude through the Strait of Hormuz to countries that support sanctions against it, a committee member said on Monday.

"There is a bill prepared in the National Security and Foreign Policy committee of Parliament that stresses the blocking of oil tanker traffic carrying oil to countries that have sanctioned Iran," Iranian MP Ibrahim Agha-Mohammadi was quoted by Iran's parliamentary news agency as saying.

"This bill has been developed as an answer to the European Union's oil sanctions against the Islamic Republic of Iran."

Agha-Mohammadi said that 100 of Tehran's 290 members of parliament had signed the bill as of Sunday.

Iranian threats to block the waterway through which about 17 million barrels a day sailed in 2011 have grown in the past year as U.S. and European sanctions aimed at starving Tehran of funds for its nuclear program have tightened.

A heavy western naval presence in the Gulf and surrounding area is a big impediment to any attempt to block the vital shipping route through which sails most of the crude exported from Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Kuwait and Iraq and nearly all the gas exported from Qatar.

A European Union ban on imports of Iranian oil started on Sunday.

(Reporting By Yeganeh Torbati and Daniel Fineren, editing by Jane Baird)

http://www.reuters.c...E8610R920120702

Uncirculd, I could be wrong.. but I could swear there were articles that came out saying that there were ways around Hormuz... inconvenient yes but ways.

You know it would be a tragedy for the Iranian people if this were to happen.....as if they really could shut it down. But in terms of actually doing so????

Go ahead..........and make our day.......This is a fully loaded aircraft carrier group.......one of the most powerful carrier groups in the Persian Gulf......did we launch 5 waves of jet fighters or did we launch six? Well it's your choice..do you feel lucky today? Go ahead and make our day!!

They must be looking to raise gas prices cause they sure as heck don't have the capability to shut down the Strait of Hormuz.............IMO.

• Upvote 3

War games announced after EU curbs

July 02, 2012

TEHRAN: Iran’s Revolutionary Guards announced on Sunday they are to fire ballistic and other missiles at desert targets during three days of war games starting on Monday, as the European Union’s (EU) embargo on Iranian oil went into effect over its controversial nuclear programme.

Britain, meanwhile, on Sunday urged Iran to co-operate with the international community after the EU slapped an oil embargo on Tehran designed to turn up the heat on the regime.

Foreign Secretary William Hague said the sanctions showed the EU’s determination to get tough with Iran.

“Unprecedented oil sanctions on Iran have come into force,” Hague told BBC television.

“These are the toughest measures the EU has adopted against Iran to date. They signal our clear determination to intensify the peaceful diplomatic pressure on the Iranian government.”

The EU embargo on Iranian oil went into effect on Sunday, provoking anger in Tehran, which says the measure will hurt talks with world powers over its sensitive nuclear activities.

“Long-, medium- and short-range surface-to-surface missiles will be fired from different locations in Iran...at replica airbases like those used by out-of-region military forces,” the head of the Guards aerospace division in charge of missile systems, Brigadier General Amir Ali Hajizadeh, said.

“These manoeuvres send a message to the adventurous nations that the Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps is standing up to bullies alongside the determined and unified Iranian nation, and will decisively respond to any trouble they cause,” he was quoted as saying by the Guards’ official Sepah News website.

Although Iran frequently holds war games, these exercises appeared to underline Tehran’s threat to strike US military bases in neighbouring countries if it comes under attack by Israel or the United States.

Tel Aviv and Washington have said that military action against Iran remains an option if diplomacy and sanctions fail to convince Iran to curb its sensitive nuclear programme.

Hajizadeh said the war games, titled Great Prophet 7, would “test the accuracy of missile warheads and systems” by hitting the mock camps in the Kavir Desert in central Iran.

He mentioned two types of ballistic missiles that would be used: the Qiam, which has an estimated range of around 500 kilometres, or 750 kilometres according to Iranian media; and the Khalij Fars anti-ship missile, which has a range of 300 kilometres.

Vice President Mohammad Reza Rahimi said the country has stockpiled the population’s daily needs to reduce the impact of the embargo hitting the oil and banking sectors.

“Today, we are facing the heaviest of sanctions and we ask people to help officials in this battle,” Rahimi was quoted by state television’s website as saying at a religious conference.

He said the “dastardly sanctions” might cause “occasional confusion” in the market, but that the Iranian nation would not be stopped.

Central bank governor Mahmoud Bahmani also told the semiofficial Mehr news agency that Iran has “plans” to deal with the embargo and enough hard currency to meet its import needs.

Mehr published its own analysis listing measures that Iran could take to counter the sanctions, including shutting the vital Strait of Hormuz off its southern coast that handles a fifth of the world’s oil supply — a threat that has repeatedly been made by Iranian officials in the past.

http://gulftoday.ae/portal/89a9a15c-c597-437d-8c76-e1329574f4a2.aspx

Coming war between U.S. and Iran over Strait of Hormuz

If Iran can block Strait of Hormuz for over 112 days, prestige of U.S. as a super power will be damaged.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

PRLog (Press Release) - Jun 30, 2012 -

Top U.S. negotiator in the nuclear talks, Wendy Sherman, is asking Iran to cap enrichment at 5 percent and close the deeply buried Fordow facility, where 20 percent enrichment work is currently under way. Iran has stated it has an “inalienable right” to enrich uranium, and appears unwilling to close its underground facilities. Israel worries Iran soon could enter a “zone of immunity”, in which nuclear materials are beyond reach of Israel's power to stop the construction of a nuclear bomb. A European and U.S. embargo on sale of Iran oil, starting July 1, will cause expected lost sales of over a million barrels a day, a 50% drop. However, even if Iran’s exports are cut by half, its oil revenues will be more than they were in the late 1990s.

Israel has purportedly agreed to allow sanctions time to work, and for Iran to voluntarily stop its nuclear weapons program. P5 +1 (UN Security Council, plus Germany) talks are expected to end by July or August. Senior Israel officials have purportedly said a pre-emptive strike would have to occur by this summer to be effective. By September, if Iran has not voluntarily stopped, Israel will commence preparations for a pre-emptive air attack to destroy Iran’s nuclear program. If Israel attacks Iran, the expected response from Iran would be to launch Shahab-3 ballistic missiles towards Israel, have its Hezbollah and Hamas proxies fire Katyusha missiles from closer range, and close the Straight of Hormuz. If Iran closes the Strait of Hormuz, this would be considered and act of war against the United States, and draw the U.S. into the war.

The Strait of Hormuz connects the Persian gulf with the gulf of Oman, the Arabian Sea, and the open ocean. At its narrowest point, the strait is 21 miles wide, but the deep water shipping lane is two miles wide in either direction, separated by a two-mile buffer zone. 14 crude oil tankers a day, carrying 17 million barrels, pass through the strait, carrying 20 per cent of the world’s traded oil.

During U.S. directed war game simulations, it was anticipated Iran will use their three stealthy Russian-made Kilo-class submarines and small fast boats to mine the Strait of Hormuz and close it to ship traffic. The U.S. and British navy have brought twelve mine sweeper vessels into the theater, plus airborne mine countermeasure helicopters to keep Hormuz open.

Iran controls three fortified islands, Aba Musa, Lesser Tumb and Greater Tumb, which could be used as a base for helicopter, gunboat, and anti-ship cruse missile attacks. Some military experts refer to these Islands, at the entrance of the Strait of Hormuz, as Iran’s three aircraft carriers. They are unsinkable, and will require boots on the ground to neutralize.

If a shooting war breaks out in the Persian Gulf between Iran and the United States, the fortified island of Abu Musa could make front-page news. In addition to building an airstrip there, Iran has Chinese “Silkworm” and Russian made “Sunburn” anti-ship missiles. The Russian Sunburn delivers a 750-pount conventional warhead at twice the speed of sound. It can arrive at target nine feet off the water, and can maneuver to elude enemy defenses. A single missile can sink a large warship, The majority of current U.S. warships are defenseless against the Russian Sunburn missile. U.S. Navy casualties could be large if a shooting war starts.

The Persian Gulf is basically a large lake, with one narrow outlet. U.S. navel vessels may find themselves trapped in the Gulf and venerable to Sunburn missiles, which have a range of approximately 100 miles. With two aircraft carriers in the Indian ocean, the U.S. navy will control the air space over Iran and the Persian Gulf. They will pound Iran military installations, and destroy the Iranian air force. However, without boots on the ground, the Iran Revolutionary Guard will be able to fire anti-ship missiles off the back of movable trucks. The Sunburn missile may be to the U. S. Navy, what the Stinger missiles was to the Soviet helicopter gunship’s and MiGs in Afghanistan in the 1980s.

Dr. Talmadge, a Persian Gulf authority, at George Washington University, estimates it could take 72 days to remove Iran’s threat of missiles attacks, and 40 days for disabling Iran’s navel mines in the Strait of Hormuz. If the Persian Gulf was closed for shipping for 112 days, the price of oil would spike, and throw the world economy into a deep recession. If the U.S. lost several large navel vessels to relatively inexpensive missiles, cheaper to manufacture than an airplane, the traditional navy strategy of big armament would come under review. Given their low cost, Russian and Chinese anti-ship missiles are perfectly suited for close quarter navel conflicts in the pond like environment of the Persian Gulf.

The Sunburn is versatile and easy to use. It can be fired from practically any platform, including the back of a flatbed truck. It has a 100-mile range, which is all that is necessary in the narrow Persian Gulf. If Iran and the U.S. start a shooting war, Russia and China will watch with tremendous interest. The Iranians will have mapped every firing angle along their Gulf coastline. The rugged terrain will not make detection easy. Some suggest it will be like shooting fish in a barrel. The British have deployed the HMS Daring, a billion dollar destroyer, with the world’s most sophisticated naval radar, and defense weapons which can shoot down sea skimming missiles.

If Iran can keep the Hormuz straits blocked for longer than a nominal 112 days, U.S. allies may begin to lose faith in her as the guarantor of the lifeblood of their economies, energy. This loss of confidence would threaten to unravel the U.S. global empire, and its reserve currency status. President Barack Obama may start a war in the Middle East, but President Mitt Romney may have to finish it.

Written by Dr. Stephen Johnston, author of “Tea Party Culture War: A clash of Worldviews.”

For more information on the oil market, and conditions in the Middle East go to: "Tea Party Culture War.com."

For media interviews contact Dr. Stephen Johnston at: 1 (541) 469-2115.

Iran against the world. Okay. It will the second "shot heard round the world" and that will be it ... one shot and bombs away. What Navy?

It consists of 5 flat bottom boats, and they are yellin in arabic, "choot em lizabeth, choot em!"

• Upvote 1

We need to go ahead and nuke Teheran....it will be a show and tell on nuclear energy....

Thats what we need to do, but its an election year, and obama is afraid or purposely allowing iran to have ots moment. why id dont know. this whole problem cohld be solved in 5 minutes....from two operators at a air force base. And if iraq is going after israel, maybe we should add them to the list.

• Upvote 1

JMHO, I think they do this to blow smoke and cause fear in the oil markets so our prices go up. They will show up in the straight of Hormuz to make it look like there serious but they don't have the balls to act cause they know we would hit them so hard and fast they would forget what religion they practiced.

• Upvote 2

Thats what we need to do, but its an election year, and obama is afraid or purposely allowing iran to have ots moment. why id dont know. this whole problem cohld be solved in 5 minutes....from two operators at a air force base. And if iraq is going after israel, maybe we should add them to the list.

I don't think that's in the cards friends. Thank God. You know there are much less harsh ways to fix things. Iran is flexing it's muscles, we just cut them off of major economies. But, they would have to make a serious move before any harsh reply is needed.

I can't wait to see how this plays out.

I don't think that's in the cards friends. Thank God. You know there are much less harsh ways to fix things. Iran is flexing it's muscles, we just cut them off of major economies. But, they would have to make a serious move before any harsh reply is needed.

I can't wait to see how this plays out.

Ditto. Just because we are the hammer, doesn't mean everything has to be a nail.

Iran is not going to do anything because they know or should know by now that it would be a no win situation for their country. Don't let the news fool you there is enough firepower over there in that straight to take care of any thing thazt might arise and what is not there is close by.

• Upvote 1

I honestly hope they will find a peaceful resolution for all of this, and soon. It would be good for everyones sake. My best friend's son just joined the Navy, he is not in Iran yet... but I am so worried about him and all our other kids who are over there.

Well said Uncirculd and Carrello. smile.gif Peace Dears!

They would only need to sink 2-3 tankers at critical place to block the channel ... A couple of suicide boats could do it in the dark. Wouldnt have to be the government , just some radical group.

The Straits of Hormuz are 21 miles wide at it's narrowest point...I think it would take more than 2-3 tankers sunk to close it all the way, but I could see it wreaking a bunch of havoc that would undoubtedly slow the oil supply down somewhat...and I'm sure it's only a matter of time before what you say will happen.

You know it would be a tragedy for the Iranian people if this were to happen.....as if they really could shut it down. But in terms of actually doing so????

Go ahead..........and make our day.......This is a fully loaded aircraft carrier group.......one of the most powerful carrier groups in the Persian Gulf......did we launch 5 waves of jet fighters or did we launch six? Well it's your choice..do you feel lucky today? Go ahead and make our day!!

They must be looking to raise gas prices cause they sure as heck don't have the capability to shut down the Strait of Hormuz.............IMO.

As some other members have stated, it seems unlikely that

they will do anything but talk, and bluster, as they always do.

So IMO no big deal.

The only thing that seems likely, is should they try anything,

whatever Navy they have would be nautical hazards after

they are sitting at the bottom of the Straight.

That entire area is well watched, the only reason I could possibly

see for a tanker to be sunk, is because we need a reason to

finally attack them in force, instead of in stealth, as we are

doing now.

I only chose your quote to respond to because, I think they import

all of their gas...So, that would be hurting themselves. They

could be trying to force oil prices to rise, to punish the West.....

So Im guessing that may be true. Other than that, I agree with

your entire post ;)

Edited by cris
  • Upvote 2

Anyone ever notice the "coincidence" of these articles in conjunction with the dips in the price of a barrell of oil?

On another note: I realize that Iran is an oddly shaped country, but if we could just convince the 70 or so million civilians to leave for a few days, we could turn it into a very pretty ashtray in the blink of an eye.

I honestly hope they will find a peaceful resolution for all of this, and soon. It would be good for everyones sake. My best friend's son just joined the Navy, he is not in Iran yet... but I am so worried about him and all our other kids who are over there.

Well said Uncirculd and Carrello. smile.gif Peace Dears!

Agree! I would always choose a peaceful resolution over death. I really hate the thought of loosing lifes over oil especially when we have plenty here and if we could just tap, drill, frac and Canadian oil then we could cut off the middle east all together and not put lifes in jeopardy so we can drive our vehicles. I have another theory to why we do it besides money but...!!!

Go on Respectron... I am all ears. smile.gif

I agree about us having plenty of oil here. We also have alternatives. smile.gif

Exactly!

My other thoughts are this,

I believe our government is well aware of how much resources we have and wonder if they think its worth all this fuss to get it elsewhere as those resources will eventually run out and then guess what, we will be the one with the most resources in the world and can charge whatever we want and become the richest country in the world many times over as you know it is all about the money to the government. The other countries won't have a choice what so ever as they have ran their resource literally dry. We will have the control that the governments always wanted. Essentially a game of chess, the government will loose soldiers to eventually call checkmat!!! A long and stratigic game with unfortunate consiquences when played as real life events.

JMHO of course. wink.gif

spelled zzzzzzzzz as zzzzzzzzz because the right way caused zzzzzzzzz to show up???

Edited by respectron
  • Upvote 1