Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Member of the Finance Committee: World Trade Organization has set tough conditions

6 - 8- 2012

According to a member of the Finance Committee, the National Alliance Deputy//Abdul Hussein Al-yasseri, that Iraq did not enter in WTO membership, due to the harsh conditions established by the organization.

He said Al-yasseri (News News Agency): the WTO has set tough conditions prevented Iraq from entering as a member, stating that the conditions include a large tax on materials and goods imported by Iraq service.

He added: there must be a suitable tax system in Iraq, where a few tax on foodstuffs, but in its current state does not serve Iraq's economic situation.

And between: the Iraq request membership to the WTO, but not approve membership only accept conditions which affect the interest of the country

My link

Member of the Finance Committee: World Trade Organization has set tough conditions prevented Iraq from entering as a Member

June 8th, 2012

Baghdad (newsletter) … According to a member of the Finance Committee, the National Alliance Deputy//Abdul Hussein Al-yasseri, that Iraq did not enter in WTO membership, due to the harsh conditions established by the organization.

He said Al-yasseri (News News Agency): the WTO has set tough conditions prevented Iraq from entering as a member, stating that the conditions include a large tax on materials and goods imported by Iraq service.

He added: there must be a suitable tax system in Iraq, where a few tax on foodstuffs, but in its current state does not serve Iraq’s economic situation.

And between: the Iraq request membership to the WTO, but not approve membership only accept conditions which affect the interest of the country .

My link

This is a most confusing article that I have questions about:

Can the WTO set tougher conditions for one country over another?

Was this a decision that was part of the IMF meeting held on the 6th? Is there a press release to a factoid of denial of acession?

Harsh conditions of large taxes on goods and materials? I defer to question one.

Suitable tax system? There is an Iraqi tax schedule (736 pages long) of tariffs on goods which has been around for a long time. Now they say it is unsuitable?

Membership request denied? They are a member, they just have not gotten to a level of full membership.

I think we need more info, and possibly from another representative for another perspective. Anybody?

"I think we need more info, and possibly from another representative for another perspective. Anybody?"

I agree KK, I hope they left that meeting and gave them a "checklist" - here's what you have to do to become a "full member".

1. RV your currency before the 15th.

2. fully seat your government.

3. Implement the Erbil agreement.

4. get chapter 7 fully lifted on the 15th.

5. get your **** together!

hope the list isn't any longer than that, because they can't even complete that list.

WM13

Edited by waterman13
  • Upvote 2

Last month June was looking so promising...now not so much. We still have the UN meeting on the 15th to look foward to. Maybe they will pull a fast one on us and get everything in order. Im still hopefull!!!

Last year June was looking good too, lol.... I am still hopeful too!!

"I think we need more info, and possibly from another representative for another perspective. Anybody?"

I agree KK, I hope they left that meeting and gave them a "checklist" - here's what you have to do to become a "full member".

1. RV your currency before the 15th.

2. fully seat your government.

3. Implement the Erbil agreement.

4. get chapter 7 fully lifted on the 15th.

5. get your **** together!

hope the list isn't any longer than that, because they can't even complete that list.

WM13

WM13, Are we now starring out the GOI... Just kidding , I use shiite, it makes me feel good B)

Last June looked good, then the end of the year looked good. Now we are back to this June. It will never be perfect, if the UN and Iraq are waiting on perfect, then it will never happen. Sometimes people have to work the problems out as need be. We have had our gov in place and it is still screwed up, taxes are screwed up, spending.... etc. Let them out of Ch 7, RV there money, and work out the problems. Simple!

• Upvote 3

Last June looked good, then the end of the year looked good. Now we are back to this June. It will never be perfect, if the UN and Iraq are waiting on perfect, then it will never happen. Sometimes people have to work the problems out as need be. We have had our gov in place and it is still screwed up, taxes are screwed up, spending.... etc. Let them out of Ch 7, RV there money, and work out the problems. Simple!

I agree biggrin.gif. I have been thinking along these lines for awhile.

• Upvote 1

Simple, lol.... go RV!!!

This is a most confusing article that I have questions about:

Can the WTO set tougher conditions for one country over another?

Was this a decision that was part of the IMF meeting held on the 6th? Is there a press release to a factoid of denial of acession?

Harsh conditions of large taxes on goods and materials? I defer to question one.

Suitable tax system? There is an Iraqi tax schedule (736 pages long) of tariffs on goods which has been around for a long time. Now they say it is unsuitable?

Membership request denied? They are a member, they just have not gotten to a level of full membership.

I think we need more info, and possibly from another representative for another perspective. Anybody?

Thanks for the article KK.

I believe the WTO will negotiate accession rules with each new member based on the following page on their website.

How to join the WTO: the accession process back to top

Any state or customs territory having full autonomy in the conduct of its trade policies may join (“accede to”) the WTO, but WTO members must agree on the terms. Broadly speaking the application goes through four stages:

First, “tell us about yourself”. The government applying for membership has to describe all aspects of its trade and economic policies that have a bearing on WTO agreements. This is submitted to the WTO in a memorandum which is examined by the working party dealing with the country’s application. These working parties are open to all WTO members.

Second, “work out with us individually what you have to offer”. When the working party has made sufficient progress on principles and policies, parallel bilateral talks begin between the prospective new member and individual countries. They are bilateral because different countries have different trading interests. These talks cover tariff rates and specific market access commitments, and other policies in goods and services. The new member’s commitments are to apply equally to all WTO members under normal non-discrimination rules, even though they are negotiated bilaterally. In other words, the talks determine the benefits (in the form of export opportunities and guarantees) other WTO members can expect when the new member joins. (The talks can be highly complicated. It has been said that in some cases the negotiations are almost as large as an entire round of multilateral trade negotiations.)

Third, “let’s draft membership terms”. Once the working party has completed its examination of the applicant’s trade regime, and the parallel bilateral market access negotiations are complete, the working party finalizes the terms of accession. These appear in a report, a draft membership treaty (“protocol of accession”) and lists (“schedules”) of the member-to-be’s commitments.

Finally, “the decision”. The final package, consisting of the report, protocol and lists of commitments, is presented to the WTO General Council or the Ministerial Conference. If a two-thirds majority of WTO members vote in favour, the applicant is free to sign the protocol and to accede to the organization. In many cases, the country’s own parliament or legislature has to ratify the agreement before membership is complete.

http://www.wto.org/english/thewto_e/whatis_e/tif_e/org3_e.htm

Edited by SocalDinar
  • Upvote 1

I cannot find a WTO or IMF press release, or any other information on the denial of ascension for Iraq. Iraq has been working with the IMF and WTO for years moving towards this ascension to the final step of WTO full membership. Why, three weeks prior to the finalized law and previously postponed law, be rejected now?

I ain't buying this article.

Edited by KamelKeeper
  • Upvote 1

I think 90% of the stuff we hear / read is changed up as it is told. Almost like saying something, and by the time it gets told 100 times over, it is nothing like you said it. Our own media cant even get a story right on things that are happening here.

I say lets sit back and wait. We have been waiting for years, we can make it a little longer. cool.gif

The Iraq committee has been working on this (with WTO) for so long, there shouldn't be any suprises. Point is, their house is still not in order ~ they are not out of Chapter 7 yet, their tariff will only be implemented July 1st..and their exchange rate is still at 1166........