Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Mary, the mother of Jesus, was not Mary Magdalene. Mary Magdalene was a follower of Jesus and financial supporter, but not his mother. Some say she was his wife, others say she was one he loved dearly. Somewhere along in the 6th or 9th century after Christ (I forget which) the Catholic Church combined two women's stories and she became seen as a prostitute.

As for prayers: God is love. Simply put. If you send out a prayer to God asking for help for someone, then you are standing with the love of the universe under whatever name you call that love.

• Upvote 3

Smee, you are correct, and thanks for pointing that out. There is big difference between Mary Magdeline who was caught in sin, and Mary the mother of Jesus, who was a virgin at the time of the Lords birth.

GOD BLESS!!! LORD SEND THE RAIN!!!

Mary Magedline was NOT "caught in sin." She was a friend and a disciple of Jesus', but the other disciples were jealous of her. Then in the 4th century, one of the early popes called her a prostitute because the early church fathers were defining the church, and they didn't want a woman to have as much power and trust as Jesus had for her.

• Upvote 2

Smee and Bama...I love both of you lil dumplins....one thing is certain...as long as there are humans there will be difference of opinions about many things and each of us are protective of our own views and beliefs...we are influenced, manipulated, and programmed by outside influences since birth so where do our beliefs actually originate???? maybe we should all take some "think" time...the Creator seems to have blessed us with something besides a hat rack...blessings :)

• Upvote 1

Yes many catholics are christian the only problem i have is when they pray to the mother mary. 1st thing is they need to understand yes Mary magdalan was jesus Christ's mother. She was a carrier for GOD's son. She is very special in that sense, but She should NOT be prayed to. Jesus christ is the only one that will answer your prayers NOT mary. This all goes back to worshipping idols. Dont do it. Like markinsa had a thread up, God is a very jealous God thats just the way it is because we are HIS creation no one elses. He expects praise and worship from his creation which is US. This is what I know and my opinion. Praise Jesus christ and no one else.

Hey Easy.... not singling out your quote.... yours just happened to be the last one I read of a similar mind-set or belief about another's religious beliefs.....

Your sentiment is a very common misunderstanding voiced by many who have perhaps not really taken the time to understand what they may think they understand.... and actually, from the looks of it, it appears there may be a Catholic or two who may need to do a conceptual brush up as to what they think they are doing......

To any Catholic who may have misunderstood the foundational teachings of your faith..... you do not pray TO Mary or any saint... If you are for whatever reason praying TO Mary or any saint, please do NOT state that you are doing so as a Catholic.... or as an aspect of the Catholic faith....

"In the words of the Vatican, ...."Prayer is an important part of the Catholic faith. It is the official position of the Roman Catholic Church that Catholics do not pray to saints or Mary, but rather that Catholics can ask saints or Mary to pray for them".

I don't remember who wrote this explanation, but I have it in my files, and it seems fitting given the apparent misunderstandings of more than a few folk:

I have an Evangelical friend who said "When I go to a doctor I don't want to talk to his mother." That is an interesting analogy. However, this Evangelical talks regularly with his pastor and asks the pastor to pray for him. The pastor doesn't turn him away by saying, "Don't talk to me! Don't ask me to pray for you! Go straight to Jesus!" The pastor has compassion and "intercedes" (stands in the gap) for him. He prays for the congregation and for individuals. He has compassion and wants to assist people in their relationship with Christ. This in no way diminishes Jesus' role as the Lord and Saviour.

Catholics ask Mary to pray to Jesus for us. She is interceding, kind of in the way a pastor might pray for you or me. In the Rosary we ask Mary to "Pray for us sinners." And we think she s quite good at that.

Mary is a "born again" Christian who received the Holy Spirit at the Pentecost and spoke in tongues 2000 years before Pentecostals got the gift.(Acts 1:14, 2:3) She knows how to pray - yes even in tongues!

I personally don't have a dog in the fight.... though do have a hope for accurate understandings of one another lest we cast stones at our own glass houses.... :)

• Upvote 2