Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Should Mitt Romney worry about Ron Paul

TPSprayduster

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/DC-Decoder/2012/0505/Should-Mitt-Romney-worry-about-Ron-Paul

Ron Paul has the proverbial snowball’s chance in Hades of becoming the Republican presidential nominee this year. Compared to presumptive front-runner Mitt Romney (switching clichés) the image of gnat vs. elephant comes to mind.

Ron Paul beat Mitt Romney in 10 states! Kind of.

Why Ron Paul is still in the presidential race

Are you a true Ron Paul supporter? Take our quiz!

Texas congressman Paul has yet to win a primary election or caucus. Romney has accumulated 10 times as many delegates as Paul (847-80). And yet long after the withdrawal of Rick Santorum and Newt Gingrich (both of whom had won more than twice as many delegates as Paul before quitting), the dedicated libertarian keeps on keepin’ on.

Should Romney be worried about Paul, nipping at his heels as the former Massachusetts governor pivots from the primary season to take on incumbent Barack Obama?

RECOMMENDED: The roar of Ron Paul: Five of his unorthodox views on the economy

As he’s said many times, Paul is promoting a movement as much as a candidacy. In a nutshell, that means anti-big government and anti-war, eliminating five federal departments (Commerce, Education, Energy, Interior, and Housing and Urban Development), refusing to engage in foreign wars, cutting way back on foreign aid to Israel and other countries.

To keep his message out there he needs to stay a player, and 2012 probably is Paul’s last chance to do that on a national scale.

His chosen venue? Holding the Republican Party to its often-arcane delegate selection rules, especially in state party conventions.

In Maine and Nevada this weekend, Paul’s strategy gets another test. There, state conventions are scheduled to affirm the naming of delegates. In both states, GOP party officials clearly are worried that Paul supporters – always an energetic force to be reckoned with – could use state rules to gain delegates in a way that’s sure to rankle the Republican National Committee (RNC).

“The national Republican organization is increasingly anxious over the ability of the Paul campaign to take over state-level organizations, especially in states like Iowa and Nevada that have outsized importance on the nominating process,” the Hill newspaper reports. “National Republicans worry that if grassroots party loyalists aren't supporting the presumptive nominee, the party could struggle against President Obama's fundraising and organizational efforts.”

Paul and Romney reportedly have a good personal relationship, But that hasn’t hampered Paul’s effort to rail against conventional GOP positions – or his enthusiasm for the fight.

1 | 2

"Just look at this last week,” Paul told Bloomberg TV. “The news is very favorable to us. We could even end up winning Iowa, ironically enough. In Minnesota, we're doing well, and Maine, Nevada, and Missouri. We're doing very, very well. Some of the states we could very well win or come up very much because the delegate process is completely different than these straw votes.”

In Nevada, political analyst Jon Ralston of the Las Vegas Sun puts it this way: “The RNC fears that mischief at the Sparks convention this weekend could result in Ron Paul delegates taking Mitt Romney slots and then not abiding by GOP rules to vote for the presumptive nominee on the first ballot in Tampa,” site of the Republican convention in August.

Even though RNC chief legal counsel John R. Phillippe Jr. warned state party chairman Michael McDonald that the Nevada delegation might not be seated in Tampa if Paul delegates take too many slots, Ralston writes, “I don't think these Paul folks respect authority too much.”

In Maine, meanwhile, Paul supporters hope to stage a takeover at the state GOP convention this weekend.

"Paul's supporters have always been very energetic and very enthusiastic, very dedicated to the cause," Mark Brewer, political science professor at the University of Maine, told the Associated Press. They are willing to take the extra steps and attend caucuses, conventions and other party events, he said.

The Paul insurgency comes two years after tea party activists attended the GOP convention in large enough numbers to reject the party platform and put in place their own statement of conservative principles, the AP notes.

Elsewhere around the country, Paul has successfully asserted himself.

Although they’re pledged to back Romney (who won the state’s primary), 17 of 27 delegates selected at the Massachusetts caucuses last weekend support Paul.

Paul won 20 of 24 delegates allocated at congressional district conventions in Minnesota, and they did very well in Louisiana last weekend – winning four and a half of six congressional district caucuses, which gives them 74 percent of the delegates to the state convention next month.

Paul supporters now co-chair the party in Alaska, and they include a majority in the Iowa Republican State Central Committee.

“Taken together, these victories and those yet to happen forecast a prominent role for Ron Paul at the RNC,” Paul campaign manager John Tate told the Washington Post. “They also signal that the convention will feature a spirited discussion over whether conservatism will triumph over the status quo.”

If Paul were to end up with a plurality of delegates from five states, he could be nominated from the convention floor.

This is unlikely to happen, but his effort could win him a prime-time speaking slot and major input to the party’s platform.

ROFLMAO!

RP has some very good points, but he doesn't have what it will take to defeat O. Better hope Romney does, or a second term with O will be devastating.

For those holding out a glimmer of hope for RP, I will vote for him (along with almost everybody I know) IF he becomes the nominee.

Good luck!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

ROFLMAO!

RP has some very good points, but he doesn't have what it will take to defeat O. Better hope Romney does, or a second term with O will be devastating.

For those holding out a glimmer of hope for RP, I will vote for him (along with almost everybody I know) IF he becomes the nominee.

Good luck!

How about this vote for him anyways, even if he is not a nominee for the republican party. It is so funny everyone votes on contention instead of for there beliefs.

How about this vote for him anyways, even if he is not a nominee for the republican party. It is so funny everyone votes on contention instead of for there beliefs.

It's because many people don't have the gumption to seek change. Change is scary to some people and we witness it every four years. Many people can't get past the superficial issues politicians continue to argue about instead of demanding attention to the real issues.

It's because many people don't have the gumption to seek change. Change is scary to some people and we witness it every four years. Many people can't get past the superficial issues politicians continue to argue about instead of demanding attention to the real issues.

The problem is they do not see that it is bad enough. Just wait until something really bad happens then they will be in panic mode. They wait until it is too late. Sad society, very sad.

Just hope the RP supporters are smart enough to vote for romney if RP runs as a third choice otherwise they will be contributors to the demise of freedom as we know it because Obama will win no doubt.

Smart enough to vote for Obama number 2, doubt it. RP all the way, we do not compromise our beliefs. No wonder why the US is in bad shape, people like you who vote just because you have fallacy that has been embedded into your brain to believe that voting for a candidate just because you do not want what is there now. It is not about getting anyone in office, it is about getting the right person in office. When are you going to wake up? You will not switch the opinions of RP supporters.

• Upvote 1

I don't think you are ready yet.

Yep i think so. He will wake up when a family member is huled off to a fema camp, or he is arrested for debt, or the government come knocking to take his guns, or a false flag attack happens near him, or Mitt Romney gets in office and there is no change. Many more examples for bad things on the way. Idiots will not wake up until it is to late. Then the ones that are sending the message have to go through the sh*t because of the idiots that did not pay attention. LD it is always our fault, not theirs. We are not good enough to show them that reality is not as it seems.

I hear ya, tell someone they are being poisoned on purpose and they ridicule you. But we don't need all of them, we will do it without them.

Yes the revolution was supported by 25% and won. They will never wake up. Well like the bible says, his people will die because of lack of knowledge. I will not be one of them.

• Upvote 1

Yes the revolution was supported by 25% and won. They will never wake up. Well like the bible says, his people will die because of lack of knowledge. I will not be one of them.

Excellent quote from the Bible. Obviously, Jesus is talking about salvation, but His words also apply to every day life. Just like when Jesus says that people are willfully ignorant. It's easier to go on about life without a care than to think about and take actions towards the things that are imprisoning us.

• Upvote 2

Scrum, if we all voted for him and he is not the nominee and split the vote. Don't you think that would propel the current president into another 4 years. If we supported the nominee regardless of who he is don't you think the the sheer numbers would prevail instead of going off on a tangent and voting for other than the nominee? Wouldn't that be a dumb move scrum, serioulsly i cannot believe you want all RP supporters to vote RP regardless even if he is not the nominee. I think Dr Paul would say himself he would support the GOP nominee and ask you all not to do something stupid like split the vote!!!!!!! I know you will come back with you off planet comment but it is crunch time and i think it is time you woke up and face the fact that Dr Paul is not going to be the nominee and the libertarian party has already choose their candidate. It is almost time for the NASCAR. Have a great day folks. Don't let Scrum lead you further astray.

Scrum, if we all voted for him and he is not the nominee and split the vote. Don't you think that would propel the current president into another 4 years. If we supported the nominee regardless of who he is don't you think the the sheer numbers would prevail instead of going off on a tangent and voting for other than the nominee? Wouldn't that be a dumb move scrum, serioulsly i cannot believe you want all RP supporters to vote RP regardless even if he is not the nominee. I think Dr Paul would say himself he would support the GOP nominee and ask you all not to do something stupid like split the vote!!!!!!! I know you will come back with you off planet comment but it is crunch time and i think it is time you woke up and face the fact that Dr Paul is not going to be the nominee and the libertarian party has already choose their candidate. It is almost time for the NASCAR. Have a great day folks. Don't let Scrum lead you further astray.

You are completely and utterly incompetent.

Edited by Scrumdiddles
  • Upvote 1

Well....I like that. The Libretarian Party has a guy, so Ron cant go that way.

Like you, I hope he does the right thing in the end ;)