Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Quitting !

Tiffani929

Right on. But don't smoke with the patch on. There's a small chance that could kill you. Just sayin'. You're supposed to wait at least 30 minutes after taking it off. :blink: That's a long 30 minutes too.

• Upvote 1

To all, thank you again for your words of inspiration. I have to say, the patch works wonders. I'm on the lowest dose of 7mg, and have smoked half of a cigarette in 3 days. I really don't feel cravings...it is definitely habit. Doing good, and hopeful this time around. yay! :lol:

You can do it Tiff...takes that made up mind and realizing it really is a killer....21 days and the habit can be broken for good...keep going girl only 18 days left and you will have succeeded in your venture!!!! You will be tobacco free and loving it!!!... You go girl, keep up the good work...

• Upvote 1

I have wanted to quit for a few months and have tried unsuccessfully twice in 3 years. I finally made the decision that tomorrow is the 3rd attempt and the last. Sunday was supposed to be my day but spent the weekend with my best friend and her husband who are are evil creatures that thwarted my plan :lol:

So, a big thanks to Mack and Moose for the inspirational push ...hoping tomorrow goes smooth

EVIL friends. What is up with that?

Edited by R2D2
  • Upvote 1

Good choice Tiff...

There has been some very good advice and opinions shared in this thread. Some things work better for one person and perhaps not at all for others.

I offer a couple of confirmations and more suggestions...

Water - very good = 1/3 your body weight in oz of water daily (ex; 150# - 50oz water), increase to 1/2 body weight in oz to modify weight (less).

Baby carrots - very good

Exercise - generally a good idea

21 days to develop a new habit - Spot On! (Can be instantaneous with intense fully-associated visualization)

1st and foremost that has been overlooked -

LANGUAGE (self-talk)...Do not "QUIT" smoking. We as humans are "programmed" or "hardwired" to always seek more and more. We do not like to lose things or quit. You will be better served to never start something and/or have no experience with it. It may sound like an oversimplification (and it is), but simply "Change your mind". In therapy we state "It is never too late to have a happy childhood".

Basically, we all make everything up every day. We select what we will pay attention to (and retain). An example is when you and a friend attend the same movie, event, party, whatever and discover upon discussing it later that you may have had very different experiences and recollections of/at the same event.

Energy follows thought, thought follows energy...Focus upon how healthy you are feeling as you CONTINUE TO LIVE A SMOKE FREE LIFE (or a life that has no reference to smoking), and emulate the behaviors that that a typical person has (typical people do not smoke). You were born a non-smoker, and you live (and breathe) that same healthy lifestyle yet today.

Fallacies - smoking is a learned behavior NOT AN ADDICTION! If it were an addiction you would be unable to sleep through the night (make a multi-hour flight, etc.) without having to wake up (or stop) for a cigarette every hour (or whatever frequency you use throughout the day).

Smoking actually requires more time, effort, and commitment than not. It is actually MUCH more difficult to smoke than not. Anyone who has ever became a habitual smoker has a very strong will and desire to commit to a behavior. Simply relax and re-channel that energy and commitment to other activities (or none at all).

YOU are NOT your BEHAVIOR! You were born without any experience with a cigarette. You LEARNED that former BEHAVIOR that no longer serves you. Just like any number of other things that were once prominent in your life, and are now no longer, you have effortlessly moved beyond the behavior. Whether it was a hairstyle, clothing choice, musical selection, choice of transportation, etc., you evolved beyond that temporary behavior, and are now living a whole, healthy and balanced life as you were created to enjoy. GOOD JOB!

Congratulations on your continuation of healthy lifestyle.

If you or any other DV's need a little nudge on behavior adjustments I'll be helping PaperBoy find his umbrella...we can chat then! cool.gif

(FYI - I have over 3 decades very successful experience in human communication and behavior modification. Smoking cessation is hardly worthy of addressing it is so easy. The greatest difficulty most people face is overcoming misplaced societal based fears and difficulties...akin to learning that Santa Clause , the Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy may not actually exist?)<br class="Apple-interchange-newline">

• Upvote 2

I have wanted to quit for a few months and have tried unsuccessfully twice in 3 years. I finally made the decision that tomorrow is the 3rd attempt and the last. Sunday was supposed to be my day but spent the weekend with my best friend and her husband who are are evil creatures that thwarted my plan :lol:

So, a big thanks to Mack and Moose for the inspirational push ...hoping tomorrow goes smooth

I quit with the help of Chantix, doctor prescribed, gave me some really strange dreams, but I am smoke free even though a lot of people smoke around me every day. Good luck Tiff. biggrin.gif

• Upvote 1

Good choice Tiff...

There has been some very good advice and opinions shared in this thread. Some things work better for one person and perhaps not at all for others.

I offer a couple of confirmations and more suggestions...

Water - very good = 1/3 your body weight in oz of water daily (ex; 150# - 50oz water), increase to 1/2 body weight in oz to modify weight (less).

Baby carrots - very good

Exercise - generally a good idea

21 days to develop a new habit - Spot On! (Can be instantaneous with intense fully-associated visualization)

Very impressed Caye98.. :bravo:. .I want to add that if you cheat and have a cigarette the 21 days starts all over again. It must be 21 consecutive days without interruption. :o

That holds for true for any new process you are developing as well as an old habit you are trying to kick.

I just did it cold turkey...tuffed it out and warned people. Took me about 3 months to feel comfortable with not smoking and for some reasons my friends (who smoked) didn't support me. They smoked even more around me. Not sure what that does to them psychologically when I quit but they certainly didn't like. Hang in there.... :)

• Upvote 2

Thanks all, and Caye that's a great post. I've been saying, I'm not a smoker, not that I quit, so funny you mentioned language.

The only complaint about the patch I have is it doesn't stay on very well. Oh and the dreams. I'm already a pretty lucid dreamer, waking up has been a bit disorienting. I can't imagine being on Chantix, lol.

• Upvote 1

@Caye, excellent post, something to think about.....@DaveH, I have a doc appt on the 16th and am gonna ask about the Chantix, is it covered by insurance do you know and can you take it with other meds?

Was not covered by my insurance, I was floored. Trying to do something to improve my health and they did not cover. Guess it depends on your insurance carrier.

I got it anyway, it worked and I feel better.

Geux Tigers! laugh.giftongue.gif

Thanks all, and Caye that's a great post. I've been saying, I'm not a smoker, not that I quit, so funny you mentioned language.

The only complaint about the patch I have is it doesn't stay on very well. Oh and the dreams. I'm already a pretty lucid dreamer, waking up has been a bit disorienting. I can't imagine being on Chantix, lol.

Good job Tiff...now take that self-talk to the next level...

Your Un-Conscious mind does not recognize/understand a negative word (such as not, don't, can't, won't, etc.). For example, when you tell someone "Don't eat the cookies on the counter", what they hear is "Eat the cookies on the counter", or "Don't play in the street" becomes "Play in the street". You actually draw attention to that which you prefer to avoid. It is like telling someone NOT to think of a blue tree (which they immediately do).

Evolve into positive self-talk and affirmations. On behavior modification state things positive and own them. "I live a healthy lifestyle." "Taking in deep cleansing breaths feel wonderful." Basically you will be beyond the behavior as soon as you accept that you are. Acknowledging any type of behavior is to empower it. Choose wisely Grasshopper. biggrin.gif

As has often been lightly put forward by others, "Quitting smoking is easy, I have done it several times this month (or today)." The reality is you stop smoking with your last cigarette, and it is up to you when that will be. If you absolutely need to we can provide you with behavior-specific amnesia (so you have no memory of ever smoking), and some clients prefer to have an occasional cigarette or cigar with specific events or behaviors. There is very little doubt that living a tobacco free life is perhaps the single greatest health benefit you can provide for yourself, if that is what you have been doing. However, while true, that is more of an intellectual argument, and has very little to do with why people smoke or quit.

Focus on Desires or moves towards things, rather than away from things you wish to avoid.

So much for Pop-psychology. You are doing great, and you know it. (That's right, this applies to you too, and you know who you are!)

Felize Cinco de Mayo! cool.gif

• Upvote 1

Good job Tiff...now take that self-talk to the next level...

Your Un-Conscious mind does not recognize/understand a negative word (such as not, don't, can't, won't, etc.). For example, when you tell someone "Don't eat the cookies on the counter", what they hear is "Eat the cookies on the counter", or "Don't play in the street" becomes "Play in the street". You actually draw attention to that which you prefer to avoid. It is like telling someone NOT to think of a blue tree (which they immediately do).

Evolve into positive self-talk and affirmations. On behavior modification state things positive and own them. "I live a healthy lifestyle." "Taking in deep cleansing breaths feel wonderful." Basically you will be beyond the behavior as soon as you accept that you are. Acknowledging any type of behavior is to empower it. Choose wisely Grasshopper. biggrin.gif

As has often been lightly put forward by others, "Quitting smoking is easy, I have done it several times this month (or today)." The reality is you stop smoking with your last cigarette, and it is up to you when that will be. If you absolutely need to we can provide you with behavior-specific amnesia (so you have no memory of ever smoking), and some clients prefer to have an occasional cigarette or cigar with specific events or behaviors. There is very little doubt that living a tobacco free life is perhaps the single greatest health benefit you can provide for yourself, if that is what you have been doing. However, while true, that is more of an intellectual argument, and has very little to do with why people smoke or quit.

Focus on Desires or moves towards things, rather than away from things you wish to avoid.

So much for Pop-psychology. You are doing great, and you know it. (That's right, this applies to you too, and you know who you are!)

Felize Cinco de Mayo! cool.gif

Agreed Caye. I never really wanted to quit until now. I don't want tyo be one of those people who says I've quit a thousand times. ANyone who knows me knows when I say I'm done, I'm done. So this is no different. I say I'm done :) Though, it is not easy, the cycle of habit is a b*tch. It really is more mental than physical for me.

• Upvote 1

Tiffani,

Day 3 is done & it sucked!!! (did not smoke)

Nicotine is a hell of a drug. After quitting about 10 times over about 4 years, the longest of which lasted a full year, I decided to do ANYTHING it takes to quit. I quit smoking and started chewing tobacco. My circulation, lung capacity, and general health has improved.

I hope chew is easier to give up than cigarettes were!

Chew has nicotine. Same addiction, different form.

• Upvote 1

The only complaint about the patch I have is it doesn't stay on very well.

Here's something that works for me when I need something to stay put... might be a little "over aggressive" for you though Tiffani!!!unsure.gifrolleyes.gif

277056_146000878827728_963943298_n.jpg

Our continued best hopes for ya'll though... "whatever works"! wink.gif

• Upvote 1

You can do it Tiff! This is my third week without a cigarette. I have smoked for the better part of 18 years and quit multiple times. I joined a gym, started running again and have tried to chew a lot of gum! As I am learning it's a lifestyle and behavior change, it's hard but I am enjoying life without them and you can as well. All the best to you!

• Upvote 2

I hope chew is easier to give up than cigarettes were!

Me...give up my chew???...unsure.gif... Never!!! wink.gifCow-Chewing1.jpeg

... after all, I am from Wisconsin!!! laugh.gif

Of course my chew doesn't have nicotine!!! rolleyes.gif

You can do it Tiff! This is my third week without a cigarette. I have smoked for the better part of 18 years and quit multiple times. I joined a gym, started running again and have tried to chew a lot of gum! As I am learning it's a lifestyle and behavior change, it's hard but I am enjoying life without them and you can as well. All the best to you!

One caution if I may interject Rogue... when your not "18" anymore rolleyes.gif and you go to the gym... take it real easy and break into the weights real nice and slow. It's a lifestyle change, not a sprint, and you are not competing against anybody but yourself. I say this because I injured both of my knees on the leg extension machine while trying to get back into shape. Now I wear two knee braces for my foolishness. I would love to have a "do over" and just ease into the weights so my body could adjust to the change without injury. sad.gif Too late for me... but if that little word of cautionary advice helps anyone else I guess it won't be a total loss. wink.gif

• Upvote 1

One caution if I may interject Rogue... when your not "18" anymore rolleyes.gif and you go to the gym... take it real easy and break into the weights real nice and slow. It's a lifestyle change, not a sprint, and you are not competing against anybody but yourself. I say this because I injured both of my knees on the leg extension machine while trying to get back into shape. Now I wear two knee braces for my foolishness. I would love to have a "do over" and just ease into the weights so my body could adjust to the change without injury. sad.gif Too late for me... but if that little word of cautionary advice helps anyone else I guess it won't be a total loss. wink.gif

Thanks for the heads up, all I have ever done though is work outside in extreme temps under high physical duress. I used to smoke while running in the Army. There's no telling what I could be capable of now...

• Upvote 1