Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Quitting !

Tiffani929

I quit 6 or so years ago, and I'll tell you my personal opinion: It is the BEST thing I EVER did for myself other than marrying my wife. I am thankful EVERY time I smell the stench of a cig these days.

My clothes smell better, I smell better. I breathe easier, I don't run out of breath like I used to. I know I won't suffer from all the nasty cancer and other crap that comes with smoking. (Not to mention the money I save!) :)

Good luck! It's truly worth it, but it's not easy... just when you think you have it licked, you give in and have "just one". That "just one" is the death kiss... when you quit, it's 100% or not at all.

:twocents:

Oh! P.S. Unless you need to gain weight, stock up on baby carrots. You can munch on them when you need to do something with your hands and mouth, and they are fairly insignificant in terms of calories, fat, sugar, etc... they are kind of a "free food".

:twothumbs:

P.P.S. I wish I had that advice when I quit, I gained 30 lbs and it took me a year to lose it. :lol:

• Upvote 3

Heres to you Tiffy!! :lol:

tequila_shot153231442_std1.jpg

Good luck...me quit this past Nov....lasted until three weeks ago...not very inspiring but it is possible...just depends on your determination to stay off it. the first couple of weeks is the hardest.....but GOOD LUCK sweetie!!! :twothumbs:;)

ahhh.....i stopped smoking........ahhh......long time ago......ahhh.......my wife say......ahhh..... you buy cigarets....ahhh.......we dont have money for chiken.......ahhhh......so she said......ahhhh.........cigarets or chiken.....ahhhh......so i say........ok i buy chiken.......ahhhh.....so no more cigarets......ahhh......very hard.....ahhh.......very good for you.......ahhh.......so you no buy more cigarets.....ahhh....good for you.

• Upvote 1

In my office, I offer several different forms of holistic and alternative medicine.

For smoking, I do a course of acupuncture, chinese herbal formula's, homeopathy and self hypnosis.

For those patients with a 100 percent commitment level, I have close to 90 - 100 percent success rate.

For those patients that would like to quit smoking but are not 100 percent committed, the majority of them

will continue to smoke but generally will decrease the smoking by about 50 percent.

Acupuncture really helps you get thru the withdrawls, a combination of acupuncture, hompeopathy and chinese herbs will generally

help you with your mood and emotions.

Some patients will be done in 5 treatments and others may need 20 treatments, very few patients may need some help

along the way with 1 or 2 treatments per month to maintain.

Others, may need some emotional work because most addictions will have an underlying emotional components, some patients are

aware of this and others are not, usually its been blocked from their mind for what ever reason but is still in the self consious mind.

As you see, I combine several therapies in each treatment to have the best success in the shortest amount of time.

I have included a few links.

The link below will give you more information, although if you have a qualified Licensed Acupuncturist, most of us have learned the protocols in

school so do not be hesitant if you do not see their name on this site:

http://www.acudetox.com/

The next website below will have a list of diplomates or Licensed Acupuncturists that have been properly trained in acupuncture.

This is real important to know the qualifications of the individual giving you acupuncture since the education and training is vastly different.

I will also include my website so that you can read more on acupuncture training and the education.

You can also print out the free report on how to choose an acupuncturist which will give you alot of information.

If you have tried acupuncture, 100 percent committed and acupuncture did not work for you, try a different acupuncturist, we all have different

techniques and different styles of treatment.

http://www.nccaom.org/

http://www.stgeorgeacupuncture.com

Good Luck

B.

You can do it Tiff....... :twothumbs:

I quit on 12-10-11 at the request of my 9 year old and she is so proud of dad!!! I smoked for 20 years

It seems that everything I walk by nowadays I feel the need to see if its edible... :lol:

Just remember when you really have that urge how bad and for how long you wanted to quit and what you have accomplished so far......

You can do it.... Praying for ya +1

God Bless

Jeff

P.S. Bama, I'm still praying you will join the quitters club.... :D

• Upvote 2

I have wanted to quit for a few months and have tried unsuccessfully twice in 3 years. I finally made the decision that tomorrow is the 3rd attempt and the last. Sunday was supposed to be my day but spent the weekend with my best friend and her husband who are are evil creatures that thwarted my plan :lol:

So, a big thanks to Mack and Moose for the inspirational push ...hoping tomorrow goes smooth

I quit a year ago when i had a heart attack... A lovely repercussion of smoking i might add. What helped me along with the patch was to keep an unlit cig in my hand and taking frequent drags on it. I did that for about a week until i just didnt need it any more... Of course My mind was made up that I was now a non smoker and lighting it wasn't an option... It worked for me... YMMV. I wish you the best.

It is such a great choice to stop smoking.

I loved smoking. I started when I was seventeen and smoked a pack a day until I was thirty five. My wife didn't smoke and endured the stench of my smoking. But I didn't want to raise a child in a house with a smoker.

One of my clients mentioned that several people in her office had tried acupuncture and gave me a name. I called, made an appointment. He suggested that I also book a vacation immediately following the acupuncture session so I would disrupt the routines I used as cues for smoking- getting out of the subway, having a drink or after eating, to slow down the pace at work to give me time to make a decision.

I had the acupuncture session on a Friday afternoon and we left for a Club Med the next day. I thought I was handling it pretty well but my wife had different memories of that week. But I went the week without smoking. Was it just nicotine withdrawal that made me want to punch out the camp consoulrs?

When I went back to work the temptations to smoke were still there but the physical craving was manageable. I was amazed at all the smells there were in the World that I had been missing. And tastes! I had also made a deal with myself that I could start smoking again Afghan I hit sixty five and I could have a cigar when I wanted. In the twenty five years since I've not been smoking I've averaged about three cigars a year. And I don't really think I'll be starting cigarettes again.

You can do this- you can not smoke. When I am down and need motivation I remind myself that if I can choose not to smoke, dammit, I can do anything.

Except, apparently edit text on my phone!

Edited by magawatt
  • Upvote 1

CHANTIX was the answer for me Tiff. It's been 40 days and counting. I'm not out of the woods yet.....but well on my way. I had to give up my favorite little drinking hole (secret smokers heaven) until I am comfortable with the smell. Also, Chantix has provided me with some spectacularly crazy and sometimes obscene dreams.....It's a really cool side effect. Good luck friend. Remember, you can continue to be smoken without actually smokin. ;)

GO RV, then BV

Edited by Shabibilicious
  • Upvote 1

Wow, thanks all for the advice and encouragement!! I've been up a few hours and haven't smoked :)

Adam, I should have thought about buying carrots instead on a 1lb bag of twizzlers :D

I've heard that acupuncture works wonders, but I don't think I'll need it. I've also heard that Chantix works, though like Shabi said, gives wicked crazy dreams.

• Upvote 2

Wow, thanks all for the advice and encouragement!! I've been up a few hours and haven't smoked :)

Adam, I should have thought about buying carrots instead on a 1lb bag of twizzlers :D

I've heard that acupuncture works wonders, but I don't think I'll need it. I've also heard that Chantix works, though like Shabi said, gives wicked crazy dreams.

Twizzlers and wicked crazy dreams. Shamone!! :blush:

I've successfully quit, here's a few tips: Three's play prominently - the first 3 days are hardest, after 3 weeks it gets easier, then 3 months, and after 3 years you won't be tempted when around other smokers. During the first three months it's crucial to avoid smokers. I also found when cravings hit to take deeps breaths, drink lots of water, go for walks. Every time you inhale smoke your adrenals get a hit and cause an energy surge, to help offset that Hall's menthol cough drops helps alot. Good luck - it's worth it in the long run as you'll feel so much better. ;)

It ages you. Have you seen those women who have been smoking for years. Old, yellow skin, lines around their face, eyes and forehead. It sucks the life right out of you.

That did it for me. Never looked back and the smell of it never entices me at all.

I learned to hate it which helped me kick the craving for it. I also popped a lifesaver every time I wanted a cigarette. Oh and start working out. You will find you will add a few pounds because your metabolism changes. :D

Good luck Tiff.... :)

• Upvote 1

Nicotine is a hell of a drug. After quitting about 10 times over about 4 years, the longest of which lasted a full year, I decided to do ANYTHING it takes to quit. I quit smoking and started chewing tobacco. My circulation, lung capacity, and general health has improved.

I hope chew is easier to give up than cigarettes were!

• Upvote 1

While I was reading this thread it struck me once again how amazing the members of DV really are......everyone is always so supportive whenever another member is in need of it.....okay, everyone stop what you're doing and give yourself a pat on the back, you deserve it!! Good luck today Tiffani and Moose!!

• Upvote 3

Nicotine is a hell of a drug. After quitting about 10 times over about 4 years, the longest of which lasted a full year, I decided to do ANYTHING it takes to quit. I quit smoking and started chewing tobacco. My circulation, lung capacity, and general health has improved.

I hope chew is easier to give up than cigarettes were!

Just a quick tip 40.....switch to the herbal chew. It doesn't taste quite the same.....but your face won't fall off.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I substituted cigarrettes with "sugar free" jelly belly's. "Sugar free" doesn't equal "calorie free" unfortunately :lol:

P.S. I love Jelly Bellys :D

• Upvote 1

Just a quick tip 40.....switch to the herbal chew. It doesn't taste quite the same.....but your face won't fall off.

Thanks shabi. I'll give it a shot. Do you have to spit that stuff out? One time my girlfriend took a swig because she thought my spitter was her coke. Needless to say I had to do a good amount of dodging and weaving to survive that incident. I think SHE wanted to rip my face off! I don't want my face to fall off or be ripped off.

Thanks shabi. I'll give it a shot. Do you have to spit that stuff out? One time my girlfriend took a swig because she thought my spitter was her coke. Needless to say I had to do a good amount of dodging and weaving to survive that incident. I think SHE wanted to rip my face off! I don't want my face to fall off or be ripped off.

Hahaha....that sucks for her. I am surprised you survived that. My son has a bad habit of coming home for visits and then leaving his spit cup under his bed when he leaves. We usually shut that part of the house off from heating or cooling when he is not around.....so needless to say....finding a putrid spit cup 3 months later is pretty nasty. And I believe you can swallow the herbal stuff....not sure though. I haven't been able to convince my son to switch, to find out. Good Luck :D

GO RV, then BV

To all, thank you again for your words of inspiration. I have to say, the patch works wonders. I'm on the lowest dose of 7mg, and have smoked half of a cigarette in 3 days. I really don't feel cravings...it is definitely habit. Doing good, and hopeful this time around. yay! :lol:

Edited by Tiffani929
  • Upvote 1