Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Preventing children from doing farm chores

GODyesRVmaybe

I usually try not to get political on this site, but this is something that deserves comment. Following is an article about a proposal from this Administration's Department of Labor to ban kids from doing work on family farms. This is an abomination to all who have grown up in our rural and agricultural communities. But it should be a wake up call to even the most urban members of these forums.

Kids who have for generations grown up on family farms are possibly the most balanced individuals that can be found in society (IMHO). This is partly due to the value found in work habits, personal responsibility and family begun at an early age. If more people grew up with these same values instead of waiting for someone else (or government) to provide for them, what a better place this would be. :twocents:

http://dailycaller.com/2012/04/25/rural-kids-parents-angry-about-labor-dept-rule-banning-farm-chores/

• Upvote 8

At the age of ten (1996) my son knew how to drive an old 62 ford truck with a 4 speed. At the age of 18 he had his own business, the largest complaint he had as a young businessman was that he could not find anyone that "knew how to work"! I'll take the farm life any day!

• Upvote 4

Thats the most stupid thing I have ever read. What in the world will they screw with next. I raised four kids on a farm. They had chores that I expected them to do daily. Girls fed the chickens , rabbits , collected eggs. Boys fed the larger livestock. chopped wood. Its called learning how to work. WTF :angry:

Edited by dog53
  • Upvote 2

The right of the parent is being challenged. The government know how to raise your children better than you, the parent.

They also know how to school them better, discipline them better, feed them better, and direct them better. Parents are only a necessary person to bring them into the world (and that's changing), nurture them for a few years, and them hand them over to the government for the rest.

Slaves are not always who we think they are.

• Upvote 2

In KY, everyone in the family helps strip tobacco. The kids pitch in & school breaks are even planned around tobacco season in many townships.

This so the parents can teach & pass on the family farms to their children.

No amount of Obama government intervention will ever change that longstanding tradition in our families & communities.

That barn raising spirit that made our nation great still lives on in KY. We still care about our neighbors.

My brother, someday will pass on to his kids the small family farm but first they'll have to earn that right.

• Upvote 1