Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

WE NEED TO START A NATURAL CURE PAGE

Many of us will be headed to the beach this summer and you know the problem that crops up sometime, it is the dreaded sting of a jellyfish. Make sure you carry some mustard packets or malt vinegar with you. Mustartd or malt vinegar will neutralize the stings and take away the discomfort. You should make it standard in your beach cart.

Ok Heavy...lets give it another shot....for sore throat, keep neck warm...take Vitamin C...use equal amounts of honey and lemon juice, take 1 teaspoon as needed...also another possible remedy is to make a compress by placing hot, mashed, unpeeled, boiled potatoes in a linen or cotton cloth, and then apply to affected area of throat...keep in mind, these are 'HOME REMEDIES' and not a method prescribed by doctors... B)

There is a black salve called Can-X. You apply it topically to any abnormal or growth spots, age spots, birth marks, etc. It pulls abnormal and possibly cancerous cells to the surface. I have personally used this and it has worked! It is a painful process (about 5-7 days worth) it feels like your skin is on fire or being stung by 100 wasps. I'm doing it now, and it's amazing how fast it works.

I would not recommend for sensitive skin or ANYWHERE on your face as it can leave a scar.

I have been trying along with some others to keep this page alive for all the family members who might read it to maybe benefit from it some way but i now see that it is hard to do. The interest is not there. Thanks for all who posted, replied and added different things that has long been forgotten. So i will add one more time and if it stays alive so be it and if there are no interest i will let it fade off into the forums.

Vicks metholatum rub or vicks vapor rub: i have used this for years when i have a headache or my eyes fell tired and red i will rub vicks on my eye lids and it gives a cooling effect and helps bunches. It doesn't harm the eyes i have been doing this for years..

Thanks Heavy...we have spent a lot of time trying to keep this one alive...really hope people will contribute their valuable input for 'natural cures' for afflictions...

Another good way to help those tired eyes is to slice thin pieces of cucumber and put them on the eyes...it is cold and refreshing and takes away tiredness and any burning you may be experiencing...

another hearty "THANK YOU" Heavy for starting this page...

• 3 weeks later...

Cinnamon and Honey

Whoever thought?

Honey is the only food on the planet that will not spoil or rot. What it will do is what some call 'turning to sugar'. In reality, honey is always honey. However, when left in a cool dark place for a long time it will "crystallize". When this happens loosen the lid, boil some water and sit the honey container in the hot water, but turn off the heat and let it liquefy naturally. It is then as good as it ever was. Never boil honey or put it in a microwave. This will kill the enzymes in the honey.

Cinnamon and Honey

Bet the drug companies won't like this one getting around. Facts on Honey and Cinnamon:

It is found that a mixture of honey and Cinnamon cures most diseases. Honey is produced in most of the countries of the world. Scientists of today also accept honey as a 'Ram Ban' (very effective) medicine for all kinds of diseases. Honey can be used without side effects for any kind of diseases.

Today's science says that even though honey is sweet, when it is taken in the right dosage as a medicine, it does not harm even diabetic patients. Weekly World News, a magazine in Canada, in its issue dated 17 January,1995 has given the following list of diseases that can be cured by honey and cinnamon, as researched by western scientists:

HEART DISEASES:

Make a paste of honey and cinnamon powder, apply it on bread instead of jelly and jam and eat it regularly for breakfast. It reduces the cholesterol in the arteries and saves the patient from heart attack. Also, those who have already had an attack, when they do this process daily, they are kept miles away from the next attack. Regular use of the above process relieves loss of breath and strengthens the heart beat. In America and Canada, various nursing homes have treated patients successfully and have found that as one ages the arteries and veins lose their flexibility and get clogged; honey and cinnamon revitalize the arteries and the veins.

ARTHRITIS:

Arthritis patients may take daily (morning and night) one cup of hot water with two tablespoons of honey and one small teaspoon of cinnamon powder. When taken regularly even chronic arthritis can be cured. In a recent research conducted at the Copenhagen University, it was found that when the doctors treated their patients with a mixture of one tablespoon Honey and half teaspoon Cinnamon powder before breakfast, they found that within a week (out of the 200 people so treated) practically 73 patients were totally relieved of pain -- and within a month, most all the patients who could not walk or move around because of arthritis now started walking without pain.

BLADDER INFECTIONS:

Take two tablespoons of cinnamon powder and one teaspoon of honey in a glass of lukewarm water and drink it. It destroys the germs in the bladder..

CHOLESTEROL:

Two tablespoons of honey and three teaspoons of Cinnamon Powder mixed in 16 ounces of tea water given to a cholesterol patient was found to reduce the level of cholesterol in the blood by 10 percent within two hours. As mentioned for arthritic patients, when taken three times a day, any chronic cholesterol is cured. According to information received in the said Journal, pure honey taken with food daily relieves complaints of cholesterol.

COLDS:

Those suffering from common or severe colds should take one tablespoon lukewarm honey with 1/4 spoon cinnamon powder daily for three days. This process will cure most chronic cough, cold, and, clear the sinuses.

UPSET STOMACH:

Honey taken with cinnamon powder cures stomach ache and also clears stomach ulcers from its root.

GAS:

According to the studies done in India and Japan, it is revealed that when Honey is taken with cinnamon powder the stomach is relieved of gas.

IMMUNE SYSTEM:

Daily use of honey and cinnamon powder strengthens the immune system and protects the body from bacterial and viral attacks. Scientists have found that honey has various vitamins and iron in large amounts. Constant use of Honey strengthens the white blood corpuscles (where DNA is contained) to fight bacterial and viral diseases.

INDIGESTION:

Cinnamon powder sprinkled on two tablespoons of honey taken before food is eaten relieves acidity and digests the heaviest of meals.

INFLUENZA:

A scientist in Spain has proved that honey contains a natural 'Ingredient' which kills the influenza germs and saves the patient from flu.

LONGEVITY:

Tea made with honey and cinnamon powder, when taken regularly, arrests the ravages of old age. Use four teaspoons of honey, one teaspoon of cinnamon powder, and three cups of water and boil to make a tea. Drink 1/4 cup, three to four times a day. It keeps the skin fresh and soft and arrests old age. Life spans increase and even a 100 year old will start performing the chores of a 20-year-old..

RASPY OR SORE THROAT:

When throat has a tickle or is raspy, take one tablespoon of honey and sip until gone. Repeat every three hours until throat is without symptoms.

PIMPLES:

Three tablespoons of honey and one teaspoon of cinnamon powder paste. Apply this paste on the pimples before sleeping and wash it off the next morning with warm water. When done daily for two weeks, it removes all pimples from the root.

SKIN INFECTIONS:

Applying honey and cinnamon powder in equal parts on the affected parts cures eczema, ringworm and all types of skin infections.

WEIGHT LOSS:

Daily in the morning one half hour before breakfast and on an empty stomach, and at night before sleeping, drink honey and cinnamon powder boiled in one cup of water. When taken regularly, it reduces the weight of even the most obese person. Also, drinking this mixture regularly does not allow the fat to accumulate in the body even though the person may eat a high calorie diet.

CANCER:

Recent research in Japan and Australia has revealed that advanced cancer of the stomach and bones have been cured successfully. Patients suffering from these kinds of cancer should daily take one tablespoon of honey with one teaspoon of cinnamon powder three times a day for one month .

FATIGUE:

Recent studies have shown that the sugar content of honey is more helpful rather than being detrimental to the strength of the body. Senior citizens who take honey and cinnamon powder in equal parts are more alert and flexible. Dr. Milton, who has done research, says that a half tablespoon of honey taken in a glass of water and sprinkled with cinnamon powder, even when the vitality of the body starts to decrease, when taken daily after brushing and in the afternoon at about 3:00 P.M., the vitality of the body increases within a week.

BAD BREATH:

People of South America, gargle with one teaspoon of honey and cinnamon powder mixed in hot water first thing in the morning so their breath stays fresh throughout the day.

HEARING LOSS:

Daily morning and night honey and cinnamon powder, taken in equal parts restores hearing. Remember when we were kids? We had toast with real butter and cinnamon sprinkled on it!

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Thought I bring this back to the board. I am in need of some remedies for severe Migraine headaches.

Heavy posted one on #53 that I will be looking into.

As most of you know I am a 4 yr. cancer survivor and any natural remedy to help me stay that way I would appreciate. Although we all know it's in God's hands.

I will be having a CAT SCAN of my head/brain this week due to severe migraines. The oncologist want to cover their bases just to make sure nothing is happening in my pretty little head. So if all turns out well then I will lean more toward the natural way, rather than the chemical way. ;)

This thread is great to fall back on when your health could use a natural way of healing.

Many thanks to Heavy for getting it started. :twothumbs::woot:

Has anyone had problems with Poison Oak or Poison Ivy??? Most of us probably have at one time or another if we spend any amount of time outside (depending on where you live I suppose). I have found the best way to deal with it is to help "prevent it, rather than have to try and cure it"... I would much rather not get it then have to endure the discomfort while treating it in other words. I had a tree trimmer tell me about this one, and now I order one bottle of "Oral Ivy", it lasts the year, I take 5 drops of it with a small glass of water every day (during ivy season) and presto... no problems with the ivy's. I could tell you horror stories about treating it after I got severe cases in the past. But since I have been taking the Oral Ivy drops (as long as I'm faithful) I haven't had a bit of problem. There are many places you can get it, just Google it and you can have it shipped right to you.

Oral-Ivy-Liquid-56254.jpg

• Upvote 1

(edited)

Thanks Patty and Rod...Patty, maybe look into the Budwig diet...not sure if it is the end all but is a natural way to work against cancer...of course there are never any guarantees and only God knows our appointed time...I just thought the diet was worth a try myself...God Bless...

Edited by Linda
  • Upvote 1

Thought I bring this back to the board. I am in need of some remedies for severe Migraine headaches.

Heavy posted one on #53 that I will be looking into.

As most of you know I am a 4 yr. cancer survivor and any natural remedy to help me stay that way I would appreciate. Although we all know it's in God's hands.

I will be having a CAT SCAN of my head/brain this week due to severe migraines. The oncologist want to cover their bases just to make sure nothing is happening in my pretty little head. So if all turns out well then I will lean more toward the natural way, rather than the chemical way. ;)

This thread is great to fall back on when your health could use a natural way of healing.

Many thanks to Heavy for getting it started. :twothumbs::woot:

Patty I had this done about a month ago, for the same reason, and I never suffer from headaches so it worried me, turned out my sinuses were swollen?????? Went away day of procedure, of all days...go figure.....

and the Cancer thing, I've hear the old folks in the family say " you young people don't eat enough root veggies...the ones you have to knock the dirt off of.... sweet potato, rutabaga, carrots, onions, etc. and on top head veggies like cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower. These folks are into their eighties and nineties and swear by it...they say eat some of it everyday...good luck to ya at the docs office....smile.gif

LF

• Upvote 2

Patty i am replying to your request for help with your Migraine headaches: According to Dr. Joseph Prendergast migraine headaches are caused by blood vessels in the head trying to reduce in size for a certain amount of time because of stress or a number of others issues. The restriction of blood flood is what causes the pain. L-Arginine and D3 spray can drastically reduce or even stop these type headaches in most people. L- Arginine is a blood flow Amino Acid, Nitric Oxide which opens up blood vessels and helps clean out the arteries and keeps them open. There is a new product on the market that has L-Arginine plus D3 together called ProArgi 9 Plus.

Note::I am a firm believer in L-Arginine because i have suffered with Migraines since i was a kid to the point of sometimes losing everything i had in my stomach if you know what i mean. I had one coming on about every two weeks or a month if i was lucky. I have been on L-Arginine for three years now and i haven't had a single one, thank God.

This being a natural blood flow helper it makes the blood vessels soft where they have become hardened over the years, thus later in life it may help with Dementia and harding of the arteries. Being a blood flow derivetive can lower blood pressure and a host of other ailments. The only drawback i have seen with L-Aginine is if you start taking it do not forget to take it dailey or you will feel a slight headache nothing like the real one or be sluggish. Heart patients or people with severe ailments should check on this before taking it to be sure.

It has helped me even though i will have to take it the rest of my life. It is cheap compared to suffering that kind of headache. Probably yours is stress and it will calm you down. This is a natural way to help does not interfere with other meds that i know of. I urge you to get on the internet and research it and see if this is right for you. I have turned several people on to this and it works for them.

I don't know what dosage you will need, i take 1000mg a day. It goes everywhere i go. Since this is a natural it takes about 2 to 4 weeks to get into your system good so your blood can depend on it arrival. You should feel better, have more energy and think better while taking this. Body builders take 4 to 6000mg daily for strength blood flow. So it doesn't hurt your system in any way that i have found. Give it a try and let me know if its helps. Have a blessed day.

• Upvote 1

Black Moles on the skin:: I can testify to this myself because i tryed it and it worked. I had a black mole behind my ear that really bothered me being there. It didn't hurt, it didn't itch or anything i just wanted to get rid of it so a took a small amount of Apple Cider Vinegar and put it on a paper towel. then i took a pin and kinda ruffed up the outer skin inside the mole so the vinegar would penetrate and get down to the roots. I took the paper towel soaked in Apple Cider Vinegar and held it on the mold for about an hour. It burned but wasn't unbearable so i knew it was working. I did this again two times a day for three days then quit to see what would happen.

After about a week it formed a scab across the mole and i scratched it off, just a drop of blood came out. After about three or four more days a scratched off another scab. Each time the mole got smaller. It killed the roots and it was dying. I repeated this every few days until it is level with the skin and almost completly gone.....this took about a month and a half but it is gone.

• Upvote 2

Littlefeet, thanks for your tips on my migraines. Yes, we should take the advise of our elderly. Their filled with tons of wisdom. ;)

Heavy, I appreciate you information as well. Lot's of good stuff for me to look into. As soon as these migraines go away. I will be doing lots of reading. It's hard right now for me to read long periods. I take lot's a breaks in my reading. :) I'm struggling with my vision.

Linda. I will check into the Budwig diet. Thanks for responding to my needs. ;)

Oh Heavy, that apple cider is a miracle worker. Maybe we need to invest in apple cider stock. lol :D

• Upvote 1

Patty, hope you are feeling better soon...gotta love the ACV! it is so useful for many ailments...hope you find benefits in the diet...change of diet will definately help...Since I changed my diet (not as strict as I should be on the budwig) I have also lost 12 pounds...not that I really needed to but it sure didn't hurt...I am trying to get better at changing diet all the way, off red meat and reduced intake of chicken and seafood...mostly lots of fruits and veges, make smoothies most days and they are really filling...even ventured into adding some veges to the fruit and it is surprisingly very good!...Take care Patty...trusting in the best to come your way...God Bless...

• Upvote 1

(edited)

A CURE FOR THE BLUES AND NOT SO GREAT DAYS ----> gather a few good friends around ,,, get a cooler full of your favorite drinks { either kind wine or beer is a good start } get food that can be cooked on a open fire ----> go too a great location { like a camping area or a better spot near water with the view of the sun set ;) and just have a great time being away from every day messes like puter, television, phones,, traffic ,,, ------ can`t ever tell might work out too be a super weekend stay not sure if this is the kind of cures you were looking for ?

Edited by jeepguy
  • Upvote 1

• 5 months later...

Nature's flu shots

Heard many people from the south taking this and says it really works while helping the systoms.

Juice of 6 Fresh Lemons

1 bulb of Garlic (mashed good or minced)

2 tsp Ginger Powder

2 tbsp pure Honey

3 cups of Pineapple Juice

1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper powder

Whiskey is optional ( but will burn out the jerms)

Blend all ingredients thoroughly and store in a glass jar. Take 1 cup 4 times a day until systoms are gone. This is amount will not last for long but you should feel a good bit better. If it helps make some more

Come on guys lets bring this back alive and keep it going. We need this remedies now more than ever since Obamacare has entered the picture. Wouldn't you agree.

• Upvote 3

Here's one Heavy, sent to me from a friend. Sorry no link to verify.

1. The pineapple is a member of the bromeliad family. It is extremely rare that bromeliads produce edible fruit. The pineapple is the only

available edible bromeliad today. It is a multiple fruit. One pineapple is actually made up of dozens of individual floweret's that grow together to form the entire fruit. Each scale on a pineapple is evidence of a separate flower.

2. Pineapples stop ripening the minute they are picked. No special way of storing them will help ripen them further. Colour is relatively

unimportant in determining ripeness.

3. Choose your pineapple by smell. If it smells fresh, tropical and sweet, it will be a good fruit. The more scales on the pineapple, the sweeter

and juicier the taste. After you cut off the top, you can plant it. It should grow much like a sweet potato will. This delicious fruit is not

only sweet and tropical; it also offers many benefits to our health.

4.Pineapple is a remarkable fruit. We find it enjoyable because of its lush, sweet and exotic flavour, but it may also be one of the most

healthful foods available today. If we take a more detailed look at it, we will find that pineapple is valuable for easing indigestion, arthritis or sinusitis. The juice has an anthelmintic effect; it helps get rid of

intestinal worms.

Let's look at how pineapple affects other conditions.

5.Pineapple is high in manganese, a mineral that is critical to development of strong bones and connective tissue.

6. A cup of fresh pineapple will give you nearly 75% of the recommended daily amount. It is particularly helpful to older adults, whose bones tend to become brittle with age.

7.Bromelain, a proteolytic enzyme, is the key to pineapple's value. Proteolytic means "breaks down protein", which is why pineapple is known to be a digestive aid. It helps the body digest proteins more efficiently.

7. Bromelain is also considered an effective anti-inflammatory. Regular ingestion of at least one half cup of fresh pineapple daily is purported to relieve painful joints common to osteoarthritis. It produces mild pain relief.

In Germany , bromelain is approved as a post-injury medication because it is thought to reduce inflammation and swelling.

8. Orange juice is a popular liquid for those suffering from a cold because it is high in Vitamin C. Fresh pineapple is not only high in this vitamin, but because of the Bromelain ,it has the ability to reduce mucous in the throat. Ifyou have a cold with a productive cough , add pineapple to your diet.

9. It is commonly used in Europe as a post-operative measure to cut mucous after certain sinus and throat operations. Those individuals who eat fresh pineapple daily report fewer sinus problems related to allergies. In and of itself, pineapple has a very low risk for allergies.

10. Pineapple is also known to discourage blood clot development.

This makes it a valuable dietary addition for frequent fliers and others who may be at risk for blood clots.

11. An old folk remedy for morning sickness is fresh pineapple juice.

12. It really works! Fresh juice and some nuts first thing in the morning often make a difference. It's also good for a healthier mouth. The fresh juice discourages plaque growth.

• Upvote 2

Just a ?????

Heavyduty053 ARE you the original heavyduty {skooter bro) or the other HD

There was a Heavyduty on here before me but mine is Heavyduty053.....some contraversary came up several years ago about a topic i did aand somehow it got distorted.

(edited)

Health Benefits of Iodine

Iodine is an essential trace element that is essential for the normal growth and development. Around 60% of the iodine in the body is stored in the thyroid gland. The health benefits of iodine play a very important role in the normal functioning of the thyroid glands, which secretes thyroid hormones that control the basic metabolic rate of the body.

Iodine controls the functioning of thyroid glands in human body, which in turn has a significant influence on the metabolic processes in the body. The health benefits of iodine help in the optimum utilization of calories thereby preventing its storage as excess fats. Other benefits of iodine are removal of toxins from the body and assistance for the system in utilizing calcium and silicon.

Deficiency symptoms: Deficiency of iodine can have serious effects. The symptoms of iodine deficiency include frustration, depression, mental retardation, poor perception levels, goiter, abnormal weight gain, decreased fertility, coarse skin, chances of still birth in expectant mothers, constipation and fatigue. In severe cases mental retardation associated with diseases such as cretinism, characterized by serious physical malformations, could be the result. According to WHO reports, iodine deficiency is one of the leading causes of mental retardation all over.

Important Sources: Iodine is present in large quantities in both marine plant and animals, including shellfish, white deep-water fish, and brown seaweed kelp, which can absorb iodine from sea water. Make sure to include abundant quantities of canned sardines, canned tuna, lobster, oyster, clams, cod, haddock, halibut, herring perch, salmon, sea bass, and shrimp. Dulse, kelp, and seaweed also contain dietary iodine. Garlic, lima beans, Swiss chard, summer squash, sesame seeds, soybeans, turnip greens and spinach are rich in iodine. Iodized salt is another important source of iodine. Bakers add iodine to bread dough as a stabilizing agent.

Benefits: Iodine is required to ensure proper development and metabolism in human beings. Some of its benefits include:

• Metabolic rates: Iodine influences the functioning of thyroid glands by assisting in production of hormones, which are directly responsible for controlling the basic metabolic rate. The hormones, like thyroxin and triodothyronine, influence heart rate, blood pressure, body weight and temperature. The body maintains the BMR (Basic Metabolic Rate) with the help of these hormones, which also helps in protein synthesis.
  • Energy level: It also plays an important role in maintaining optimum energy levels of the body by ensuring optimum utilization of calories, without allowing them to be deposited as excess fats.
  • Healthy nails, hair and teeth: The health benefits of iodine include formation of healthy and shiny skin, teeth and hair. Iodine is an important element for haircare as lack of this mineral can result in hair loss. Moreover, it also aids hair growth.
  • Reproductive system: Iodine helps in the normal growth and maturity of reproductive organs. Sufficient quantity of iodine in pregnant women is essential to prevent still births or neurocognitive conditions like cretinism in the babies. It also ensures proper movement and growth, along with speech and hearing in babies.
  • Fibrocystic disease: Iodine can significantly reduce conditions like fibrosis, turgidity and breast tenderness. Iodine acts as a relief for fibrocystic diseases and is widely used even in therapies.
  • Iodine programmed cell death: Iodine ensures the apoptosis or the programmed cell death which is essential in the formation of new organs as well as in the removal of malignant cells like cancer cells or diseased cells, which might prove harmful to the individual.
  • Anti-cancer properties: Probably, the most important health benefits of iodine apart from thyroidal influence are its anti-cancer properties. Studies have shown that cancer cells when administered with iodine shrink.
  • Iodine removes toxic chemicals: Iodine can flush out chemical toxins like fluoride, lead, mercury etc., apart from biological toxins and can strengthen immune system. It also prevents the proliferation of harmful bacteria in the stomach.
  • Thyroid and Goitre disorders: Iodine deficiency is the basic cause of Goitre as widely known. You can have eggs, salt, sea food, dairy products to facilitate the reduction of iodine deficiency which works as a cure for enlarged thyroid gland.

Iodine overdose of more than 2,000 mg could be dangerous especially in people suffering from kidney ailments or tuberculosis. When taken in excess it might result in thyroid papillary cancer. Pregnant women and nursing mothers should be cautious not to take iodine more than the prescribed dosage.

***Informational purposes only!

"Kiwi Fruit" REPAIR DNA & PROTECT AGAINST CANCER

Dr. Andrew Collins of the respected Rowett Research Institute in Aberdeen, Scotland, in the United Kingdom, conducted research to look at the ability of kiwifruit to prevent damage to DNA, which is an early step in the process that leads to cancer.

Dr. Collins is an internationally respected research worker in this field who has been working on a method to measure DNA damage inside cells. Called the comet assay, it is a technique involving electrophoresis that is a very sensitive and reliable method for measuring DNA breaks and base oxidation. In addition, the levels of a number of anti-oxidants were measured, including vitamin C, various carotenoids and vitamin E, in blood plasma.

The results of the work were published in the authoritative journal, Carcinogenesis, in March 2003 and show that eating kiwifruit daily can provide substantial protection against the kind of DNA damage that may cause cancer. This was shown by significantly lower levels of oxidized bases in DNA after consumption of kiwifruit, and an increased anti-oxidant capacity, with elevated levels of vitamin C in the plasma.

There are several novel findings from this work that makes it significant.

• <LI class=MsoNormal>First, kiwifruit has a dual protective role, limiting the amount of oxidative damage that is done to the DNA, and also stimulating cellular repair of the damage that does occur. There are no previous reports of changes to the base repair activity associated with the consumption of a particular food. <LI class=MsoNormal>The effects of kiwifruit consumption on DNA damage and repair were seen when kiwifruit was added to the normal diet. Restrictions on the consumption of other fruits were deliberately not imposed during the trial as the researchers were interested in the effects of including kiwifruit in a normal diet. Therefore the effect was due solely to the addition of kiwifruit to the usual diet of the volunteers.
  • The effects were seen across the whole group of volunteers and in a short time. The statistical analyses of the results show that although the number of volunteers were quite small, the effect has a very high level probability that it is very real – any larger number of volunteers would only give a small increase in this already high level of confidence in the results. There can be seasonal variations, perhaps as different foods become available. However, this effect was taken care of by randomly dividing the volunteers into three groups taking kiwifruit in different orders of dose. Washout samples were included at regular intervals which would have shown up any seasonal changes.

A significant increase in DNA repair was seen even after eating just one kiwifruit a day. However, after three kiwifruit per day, the rate increased by two-thirds. Dr. Collins was extremely excited by this new finding to such an extent that he has become a daily kiwifruit eater!

Study Methodology

Large-scale trials using humans have given variable results when looking at the protection afforded by individual micronutrients, including anti-oxidants. These compounds, in isolation, may behave differently from mixtures of anti-oxidants and other phytochemicals that would be found naturally in fresh fruits and vegetables.

Dr. Collins therefore decided that he would investigate the effects of kiwifruit as a particularly rich source of nutrients, including vitamin C, and other potentially active phytochemicals on oxidative DNA damage in human lymphocytes, using the comet assay technique, as well as measuring plasma levels of antioxidants.

Volunteers took different amounts of kiwifruit over 3-week periods. Concentrations of dietary anti-oxidants were measured in their plasma as well as the resistance of lymphocyte DNA to oxidative attack as measures of anti-oxidant status. The second line of defense against oxidative DNA damage is DNA repair so this was also investigated.

The volunteers were healthy non-smokers who were not taking anti-oxidant supplements or medication. Each volunteer consumed 1, 2 or 3 kiwifruit a day for successive three week periods separated by 2-week washout periods. Otherwise they maintained their normal diet. They were allocated randomly to three groups, each of which was given a different order of kiwifruit doses. Early morning, fasted, blood samples were taken at the start of the study, at the end of each washout period and at the end of each 3-week phase. The blood samples were then separated into different components for the different tests. link to the study.

Edited by respectron

More on Cinnamon:

Cinnamon is a small tree that grows in India, Sri Lanka, Indonesia, Brazil, Vietnam, and Egypt.

It's one of the oldest known spices. To prepare it, the bark of the cinnamon tree is dried and rolled into cinnamon sticks, also called quills. Cinnamon can also be dried and ground into a powder.

The characteristic flavor and aroma of cinnamon comes from a compound in the essential oil of the bark called cinnamonaldehyde.

Although there are four main varieties of cinnamon, Ceylon cinnamon and Cassia cinnamon are the most popular.

Ceylon cinnamon is sometimes called true cinnamon. It is more expensive and has a sweet taste. The quills are softer and can be easily ground in a coffee grinder. Ceylon cinnamon is sold in specialty stores.

Most cinnamon sold in supermarkets in North America comes from the less expensive variety, Cassia cinnamon. It has a darker color and the quills are harder. Unlike Ceylon cinnamon, it can't be easily ground into a powder using a coffee grinder.

How Is It Used?

Besides using it in cooking, cinnamon is also thought to have health benefits.

In traditional Chinese medicine, Cassia cinnamon is used for colds, flatulence, nausea, diarrhea, and painful menstrual periods. It's also believed to improve energy, vitality, and circulation and be particularly useful for people who tend to feel hot in their upper body but have cold feet.

In Ayurveda, cinnamon is used as a remedy for diabetes, indigestion, and colds, and it is often recommended for people with the kapha Ayurvedic type.

It's a common ingredient in chai tea, and it is believed to improve the digestion of fruit, milk and other dairy products.

Research on Cinnamon for Health

Recent studies have found that cinnamon may have a beneficial effect on blood sugar.

One of the first human studies was published in 2003 in a medical journal called Diabetes Care. Sixty people with type 2 diabetes took 1, 3, or 6 grams of cinnamon in pill form daily, an amount roughly equivalent to one quarter of a teaspoon to 1 teaspoon of cinnamon.

After 40 days, all 3 amounts of cinnamon reduced fasting blood glucose by 18 to 29%, triglycerides by 23 to 30%, LDL cholesterol by 7 to 27%, and total cholesterol by 12 to 26%.

For more information about cinnamon and diabetes, read Is Cinnamon a Proven Diabetes Remedy?

Preliminary lab and animal studies have found that cinnamon may have antibacterial and antifungal properties. It's active against Candida albicans, the fungus that causes yeast infections and thrush, and Helicobacter pylori, the bacteria responsible for stomach ulcers.

Safety of Cinnamon

People taking diabetes medication or any medication that affects blood glucose or insulin levels shouldn't take therapeutic doses of cinnamon unless they're under a doctor's supervision. Taking them together may have an additive effect and cause blood glucose levels to dip too low.

Also, people who have been prescribed medication to manage their blood sugar should not reduce or discontinue their dose and take cinnamon instead, especially without speaking with a doctor. Improperly treated diabetes can lead to serious complications, such as heart disease, stroke, kidney disease, and nerve damage.

Cassia cinnamon, the kind of cinnamon normally found in grocery stores and in supplement form, naturally contains a compound called coumarin. Coumarin is also found in other plants such as celery, chamomile, sweet clover, and parsley.

At high levels, coumarin can damage the liver. Coumarin can also have a "blood-thinning" effect, so cassia cinnamon supplements shouldn't be taken with prescription anti-clotting medication, such as Coumadin (warfarin), or by people with bleeding disorders.

Cinnamon can also be found in a concentrated oil form that comes from cinnamon bark. Some of these products are not intended for consumption, but instead are used for aromatherapy essential oils. Also, the oil is highly potent and an overdose can depress the central nervous system. People should not take the oil to treat a condition unless under the close supervision of a qualified health professional. Pregnant women should avoid excessive amounts of cinnamon and shouldn't take it as a supplement.

• Upvote 1