Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Dictator Nouri al-Maliki

k98nights

Dictator Nouri al-Maliki

18/04/2012 13:25

By Bedran Ahmed Habeeb

ERBIL, April 18 (AKnews) - Any two people do not disagree that having issues with Baghdad is not good for the Kurdistan Region, in particular in these current risky circumstances that the Middle East is undergoing. And any two people do not disagree that for the first time in history the Kurdish issue in Iraq is heading towards a solution.

A huge budget also flows in to the region, though the budget is the rightful entitlement of Kurdistan from the Iraqi budget and also part of it comes from the region's own sources of income. And thanks to the harmony and peace that we have in Kurdistan, we are building our region and are heading towards an advanced stage. Apart from all that, for the first time in history, Kurds are part of the authority in Baghdad.

The above statements are true. But it is also true that the situations in Baghdad raise our concerns and worries day after day. Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki’s authorities in his two terms in office have not taken a single step towards democracy. On the contrary, it is quite obvious that the man has chosen dictatorship. We Iraqis know very well how a dictator rises: self-arm, control of income, neglecting the rights of others, not making efforts to provide the basic services like water, electricity and other stuff, are all signs.

During the Arab summit in Baghdad last month, we found out that if the authorities wanted to maintain security in Iraq they would have long ago done that to prevent the bleeding of Iraq. Maliki is becoming a dictator in broad daylight. If he tried to control the Kurdistan Region’s share of the budget today, he would definitely attack it with his army tomorrow.

No ethnic or religious group in Iraq benefits from the rise of a new dictator. Even the Shiite brothers, who form two thirds of Iraq and Nouri al-Maliki is one of them, do not wish that. It was just yesterday that Saddam Hussein fell. Iraqi Sunni Arabs got nothing from his rule or after his rule other than agony. The Sunni Arab areas in Iraq are considered to be the most backward areas in Iraq these days. Therefore, I emphasize that the rise of dictatorships in Iraq is not in the interest of anybody.

It is the Kurds' right to try to develop the democracy that was brought about after the fall of Saddam's regime in Iraq. It is also a duty on the Kurds to do so because the Kurdish political movement in Iraq throughout the 20th century has been leading the democracy movement in Iraq. President Massoud Barzani has spent most of his life in this Kurdish political movement and has more responsibility than any other Kurdish leader in facing dictatorship in Iraq. Despite being the President of the Kurdistan Region and someone who speaks and acts for all Kurds, Massoud Barzani has also gained the trust of the Iraqis as one of the symbols of Iraqi patriotic struggle.

Barzani’s defense of Vice President Tareq al-Hashemi is not protection of some accused man as some people think. The issue is bigger than just the case of an accused person. The President is responsible for the laws and a constitution that he has sworn to protect, and these laws and constitution have come for building a democratic country and society.

Nouri al-Maliki’s authorities and the media close to him want to mispresent the issue to the Iraqis. It is regrettable that sometimes the Kurdish media, out of short-sightedness and ignorance, fall prey to them. Nobody will defend Tareq al-Hashemi if he is guilty, for which he will be punished someday. Saddam Hussein did not get away with his crimes, who is Hashemi to get away? But the issue between Baghdad and Erbil is a bigger one and it has to be seen as it is. The re-emergence of dictatorship will take us back to the first point.

I hereby support Barzani’s position. The president has to settle the issues with Maliki here and now before he becomes a dictator who is out of control. The budget that comes from Baghdad is Kurdistan’s own rightful income. Baghdad does not recognize Kurdistan’s oil and gas law, Baghdad does not approve of the Kurdistan Region having Peshmarga forces, it does not support the idea of Kurdistan having its own independent sources of income, it does not approve of the disputed areas, which Saddam Hussein occupied by force, being incorporated back into the Kurdistan Region. These rights of the Kurdistan Region have all been stated in the Iraqi constitution. The Prime Minister behaves in a way as if all others beg at his door.

Maliki is buying weapons to build a large arsenal. For whom is he building it? Of course to use it against Iraqis not anyone else. We should remember that the Middle East is stepping into a very big conflict. The Iraq-Turkey conflict in this time of the weakness of the Arab forces is a conquest conflict for control of land and water of the region. This is a historic conflict between Shiite and Sunni Islam, the emergence of which dates back some 500 year.

Kurds are not part of the sectarian conflict. They have a national and social issue. Kurds struggle for national rights and the removal of social injustice. As the region is heading towards the sectarian conflict day after day, they will treat Kurds as Sunnis (being mainly followers of the Sunni faith) even if they do not want to behave like Sunnis in the conflict.

This is a risky future for all the Iraqis who have been for decades oppressed by dictatorships from Erbil to Basra. Therefore, Iraqis from Erbil to Basra have to be standing behind Barzani in his efforts to block the rise of dictatorship again. The people of Iraq from Erbil to Basra need a contemporary life so that they can live in safety and prosperity on their land, not returning to narrow nationalist slogans and sectarian mindsets.

Bedran Ahmed Habeeb is the director general of the Erbil-based Kurdistan News Agency (AKnews) and Aras Publishers.

http://www.aknews.com/en/aknews/9/302402/

• Upvote 2

Dictator Nouri al-Maliki

18/04/2012 13:25

By Bedran Ahmed Habeeb

ERBIL, April 18 (AKnews) - Any two people do not disagree that having issues with Baghdad is not good for the Kurdistan Region, in particular in these current risky circumstances that the Middle East is undergoing. And any two people do not disagree that for the first time in history the Kurdish issue in Iraq is heading towards a solution.

A huge budget also flows in to the region, though the budget is the rightful entitlement of Kurdistan from the Iraqi budget and also part of it comes from the region's own sources of income. And thanks to the harmony and peace that we have in Kurdistan, we are building our region and are heading towards an advanced stage. Apart from all that, for the first time in history, Kurds are part of the authority in Baghdad.

The above statements are true. But it is also true that the situations in Baghdad raise our concerns and worries day after day. Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki’s authorities in his two terms in office have not taken a single step towards democracy. On the contrary, it is quite obvious that the man has chosen dictatorship. We Iraqis know very well how a dictator rises: self-arm, control of income, neglecting the rights of others, not making efforts to provide the basic services like water, electricity and other stuff, are all signs.

During the Arab summit in Baghdad last month, we found out that if the authorities wanted to maintain security in Iraq they would have long ago done that to prevent the bleeding of Iraq. Maliki is becoming a dictator in broad daylight. If he tried to control the Kurdistan Region’s share of the budget today, he would definitely attack it with his army tomorrow.

No ethnic or religious group in Iraq benefits from the rise of a new dictator. Even the Shiite brothers, who form two thirds of Iraq and Nouri al-Maliki is one of them, do not wish that. It was just yesterday that Saddam Hussein fell. Iraqi Sunni Arabs got nothing from his rule or after his rule other than agony. The Sunni Arab areas in Iraq are considered to be the most backward areas in Iraq these days. Therefore, I emphasize that the rise of dictatorships in Iraq is not in the interest of anybody.

It is the Kurds' right to try to develop the democracy that was brought about after the fall of Saddam's regime in Iraq. It is also a duty on the Kurds to do so because the Kurdish political movement in Iraq throughout the 20th century has been leading the democracy movement in Iraq. President Massoud Barzani has spent most of his life in this Kurdish political movement and has more responsibility than any other Kurdish leader in facing dictatorship in Iraq. Despite being the President of the Kurdistan Region and someone who speaks and acts for all Kurds, Massoud Barzani has also gained the trust of the Iraqis as one of the symbols of Iraqi patriotic struggle.

Barzani’s defense of Vice President Tareq al-Hashemi is not protection of some accused man as some people think. The issue is bigger than just the case of an accused person. The President is responsible for the laws and a constitution that he has sworn to protect, and these laws and constitution have come for building a democratic country and society.

Nouri al-Maliki’s authorities and the media close to him want to mispresent the issue to the Iraqis. It is regrettable that sometimes the Kurdish media, out of short-sightedness and ignorance, fall prey to them. Nobody will defend Tareq al-Hashemi if he is guilty, for which he will be punished someday. Saddam Hussein did not get away with his crimes, who is Hashemi to get away? But the issue between Baghdad and Erbil is a bigger one and it has to be seen as it is. The re-emergence of dictatorship will take us back to the first point.

I hereby support Barzani’s position. The president has to settle the issues with Maliki here and now before he becomes a dictator who is out of control. The budget that comes from Baghdad is Kurdistan’s own rightful income. Baghdad does not recognize Kurdistan’s oil and gas law, Baghdad does not approve of the Kurdistan Region having Peshmarga forces, it does not support the idea of Kurdistan having its own independent sources of income, it does not approve of the disputed areas, which Saddam Hussein occupied by force, being incorporated back into the Kurdistan Region. These rights of the Kurdistan Region have all been stated in the Iraqi constitution. The Prime Minister behaves in a way as if all others beg at his door.

Maliki is buying weapons to build a large arsenal. For whom is he building it? Of course to use it against Iraqis not anyone else. We should remember that the Middle East is stepping into a very big conflict. The Iraq-Turkey conflict in this time of the weakness of the Arab forces is a conquest conflict for control of land and water of the region. This is a historic conflict between Shiite and Sunni Islam, the emergence of which dates back some 500 year.

Kurds are not part of the sectarian conflict. They have a national and social issue. Kurds struggle for national rights and the removal of social injustice. As the region is heading towards the sectarian conflict day after day, they will treat Kurds as Sunnis (being mainly followers of the Sunni faith) even if they do not want to behave like Sunnis in the conflict.

This is a risky future for all the Iraqis who have been for decades oppressed by dictatorships from Erbil to Basra. Therefore, Iraqis from Erbil to Basra have to be standing behind Barzani in his efforts to block the rise of dictatorship again. The people of Iraq from Erbil to Basra need a contemporary life so that they can live in safety and prosperity on their land, not returning to narrow nationalist slogans and sectarian mindsets.

Bedran Ahmed Habeeb is the director general of the Erbil-based Kurdistan News Agency (AKnews) and Aras Publishers.

http://www.aknews.co...knews/9/302402/

Wasn't it just the other day that Obama said that he approved of the way Maliki was handling things over there. Well i guess he would agree with him since O is trying to do somewhat similar things here piece by piece day by day. So why wouldn't these two have something in common.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

Wasn't it just the other day that Obama said that he approved of the way Maliki was handling things over there. Well i guess he would agree with him since O is trying to do somewhat similar things here piece by piece day by day. So why wouldn't these two have something in common.

you can't be serious...... :blink:B)

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 6

I believe this was posted in news incorrectly. It should have been posted in opinions. Maliki is an elected PM (fact) never has been or currently is a dictator. The title of this post is an opinion not a fact. Posts should not be misplaced. If they are, they only lead to confusing the membership as to what is fact and what is opinion. ;););)

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

Here in Canada, we have ten provinces and the North West Territories. I think there may be another territory that has been introduced since I went to high school and took Canadian Geography, some territory like Iqualaluut ... something far north. We also have, since I went to high school, one of our provinces wanting to be separate from Canada. That province is Quebec. The separation debate has gone on for decades now, with the province wanting their own distinct culture which also means no english on billboards, only french, and even though they want to be individual, they want more than their fair share of Canadian tax money. Why am I writing about Quebec? Because it seems they have a similar situation in Iraq.

It sounds like the Kurds, in Kurdistan, want their share of Iraq's money and services and perhaps global "pull" if any exists, They seem to be separating themselves from Iraq, at least in the mind of the writer of this post. Also, at least I got the feeling from this writer, that the kurds feel it is their duty or job to keep Maliki from becoming a dictator.

Well hallellujah! ... It is time someone put into words what a lot of us have been thinking. Maliki is on the fast track to dectatorship and doesn't seem to be hiding any of the prime moves. He just keeps doing what he keeps doing, and as listed in the post, they are all things that helped Saddam become a dictator, and now seem to be working the same little wonder for Maliki.

Personally, I am glad to see someone voicing this opinion. My main interest of course is the RV ... that is what will change my life the most. But the people of Iraq are the ones who are going to suffer the most if Maliki is not reigned in before too long.

Thanks for posting ...

:)

smee2

• Upvote 1

I believe this was posted in news incorrectly. It should have been posted in opinions. Maliki is an elected PM (fact) never has been or currently is a dictator. The title of this post is an opinion not a fact. Posts should not be misplaced. If they are, they only lead to confusing the membership as to what is fact and what is opinion. ;););)

With everything going on and you're worried about where it's posted. Only one word for you. WOW

• Upvote 1

With everything going on and you're worried about where it's posted. Only one word for you. WOW

Dude, you keep drinking the kool-aid :rolleyes: . I prefer to drink water until it's time to pop the champagne. :tiphat:

Edited by rmason
  • Upvote 1

you can't be serious...... :blink:B)

really... you can't REALLY BE SERIOUS, right? obama is putting together a dictatorship, piece by piece??? he may only be in office for a few more months or a few years at best, but DICTATOR, OBAMA??? LOL. you're kidding, right?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

I believe this was posted in news incorrectly. It should have been posted in opinions. Maliki is an elected PM (fact) never has been or currently is a dictator. The title of this post is an opinion not a fact. Posts should not be misplaced. If they are, they only lead to confusing the membership as to what is fact and what is opinion. ;) ;) ;)

Uh really? He was not elected! He lost, they gave it to him through Erbil and he refuses to implement it. He should be thankful to them. He didn't win. Go back and read the history of how he became to hold the PM position for his 2nd term.

• Upvote 1

You have a point actually. I should have at least put in a subtitle which identified this as an editorial or opinion piece. Thanks for the reminder. :twothumbs:

jmo but i do not believe the kurds want anything extra from bagdad. I think they would much rather be to themselves period. Bagdad is holding all the cards however. I do believe i saw something awhile back stating if erbil wasn't done by the end of last year...the oil/gas law would revert back to 2007. In regards to obama...obamacare.

really... you can't REALLY BE SERIOUS, right? obama is putting together a dictatorship, piece by piece??? he may only be in office for a few more months or a few years at best, but DICTATOR, OBAMA??? LOL. you're kidding, right?

Are you fr**king kidding me, dude, put down the pipe and get real............................... OMG = (OBAMA MUST GO)

• Upvote 2