Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Ban urges Iraq to fulfil commitments to Kuwait – UN chief hails Amir’s visit to Iraq

NB2D

UN chief Ban Ki-moon said yesterday that HH the Amir will attend the Arab summit in Iraq, hailing progress in ties and urging Baghdad to fulfil longstanding obligations for its 1990 invasion of the state. “The relationship between Iraq and Kuwait has always been very sensitive, and there are many pending issues that have not yet been resolved. I urge Iraq to fulfil its longstanding obligations to Kuwait…especially in regards with the missing people, Kuwaiti property, compensation” and maintenance of border marks between the two nations, Ban said at a press conference at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The UN chief welcomed the “progress in the normalisation of relations between Iraq and Kuwait”, adding that the visit of Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri Al-Maliki to Kuwait earlier this month was a positive step.

Regarding the Arab summit, Foreign Ministry Undersecretary Khaled Al-Jarallah said “Iraq insisted on having the summit in Baghdad, which we supported. Their persistence confirms Iraq’s sincerity to contribute actively in the work of the summit.” He added, “The relationship between Kuwait and Iraq is important, and is based on mutual understanding.” Sheikh Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Sabah is to attend the summit today in Baghdad, in the first visit by a Kuwaiti head of state since Saddam Hussein’s invasion of Aug 1990, Ban said following talks. Earlier, Ban and Sheikh Sabah held talks on the crisis in Syria, relations with Iraq and the Arab summit, the UN chief told a press conference in the Kuwaiti capital on his way to also attending the summit.

Ban insisted yesterday that Syria implement Kofi Annan’s six point peace as soon as possible, “I urge Assad to put these commitments into action immediately; there is no time to waste.” Syria will be the focus of the summit, set to take place today in Baghdad, “I will meet with key leaders in Baghdad to discuss how the UN can further efforts to implement the six-point peace plan,” said Ban. “This is an important step that could bring an end to the bloodshed and violence,” he added. The plan includes calls for the cessation of armed violence, for humanitarian assistance to be provided to affected areas and better media access and freedom of movement.

“The Arab summit is taking place at a crucial time and will discuss various issues of importance in the region,” said Ban, adding, “the leaders of the League of Arab States will have an important opportunity to take stock of what has happened in the region, especially in the wake of the Arab Spring.” Whilst regarding the acceptance of the six-point peace plan as promising, Ban noted “the Middle East peace process is at a dangerous impasse”.” There are still huge challenges for the Arab League to take a lead in,” he said.

http://news.kuwaittimes.net/2012/03/28/ban-urges-iraq-to-fulfil-commitments-to-kuwait-un-chief-hails-amirs-visit-to-iraq/

I think this is going to go all the way to June or September, beofre we see an RV. I sure hope I am wrong for all of our sakes, and I cannot for the life of me understand how it is better for their country to wait longer and longer.

Maliki is a doofus blink.gif and will do everything he can to drag everything out as long as possible, Talabani is a kind and sweet little round man mellow.gif but won't grab a shoe and pound the desk to get things finalized and keep Maliki on a short leash, the UN is not going to let Iraq off the hook until they do the whole enchilada, and Shabbi I think is scared to make a move sad.gif . As a matter of fact it seems to me that fear is a big part of this whole process, maybe the entire bunch is so used to being pushed around and dictated or controled that they are afraid to make a move of real worlwide importance.

They seem to be all related to Oma Isheetmydraws ohmy.gif . I am sure to get blasted for my comments but OMG how much more of a better situation does one have to have before you do a deal. Time to go boys, grow a pair make a decision.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

listen what you guys are mising is that chapter 7 is NOT reliant on if a country can revalue their currency or NOT so to me chapter 7 doesnt matter if its done at the meeting or in june they dont need it lifted to revalue. Watch what they do not what they say.

Edited by easyrider
  • Upvote 6

It seems that the UN continues to issue on the issue of Ch. 7 release. They will never find all of the missing bodies and antiquitis. I thought the border issue was resolved. Will it take more $ to Kuwait????????

Everything and I mean everything has a price. In other words, these things may have to be solved monetarily.

• Upvote 1

listen what you guys are mising is that chapter 7 is NOT reliant on if a country can revalue their currency or NOT so to me chapter 7 doesnt matter if its done at the meeting or in june they dont need it lifted to revalue. Watch what they do not what they say.

BINGO-watch the IMF...when they move Iraq's monetary status from IMF Article 14, back to IMF Article 8, then you can GET EXCITED....IMF Article 8 is when the money will be classified as "internationally tradeable"....CH7 are UN sanctions-has nothing to do with their currency status.

• Upvote 8

BINGO-watch the IMF...when they move Iraq's monetary status from IMF Article 14, back to IMF Article 8, then you can GET EXCITED....IMF Article 8 is when the money will be classified as "internationally tradeable"....CH7 are UN sanctions-has nothing to do with their currency status.

Sounds good Gent and Easy. I'm waiting to see what happens after the National meeting on the 5th. No matter what it's all a bunch of waiting.

• Upvote 1

Looks like Iraq has some work still to do for Chapter 7...anyone else surprised?

No. Not in the least. Moon would never have made an announcement at the Summit regarding the removal of Ch 7. It will be handled at the UNSC, in thier forum, not this one.

We've heard that M made a deal with Kuwait regarding the borders, but obviously there's more to be done. I haven't seen Parliment vote on the demarcation yet.

I've said this 100 times, but IMO, until Erbil is fully implemented the UN will not release Iraq from Ch 7. The UN understands the need for the power sharing arrangement.

• Upvote 4

Somehow I keep reverting back to the article that said June. Iraq would be removed in June. Now that would work perfectly. June is when the tariffs are to be in place, and that is in the gazzettes. But they can't put the tariffs in place until they RV. Or they will have more inflation for the citizens on goods. So to put this together you would think it would have to RV at least a month or so before the tariffs take place. (soon) JMHO

• Upvote 1