Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Baghdad curfew imposed and phone lines blocked due to Arab summit

k98nights

Baghdad curfew imposed and phone lines blocked due to Arab summit

28/03/2012 14:21

BAGHDAD, March 28 (AKnews) - Baghdad has witnessed unprecedented security procedures today that include the imposition of an unannounced curfew in several areas, in addition to closed bridges and streets and the blocking of phone services for more than six hours.

Local citizens were surprised at not being able to drive to where the curfew was imposed in the areas adjacent to the airport road in Amil, Jihad, Amiriya and other districts. Sniffer dogs were used to inspect the belongings of those who were allowed to pass.

Baghdad appeared almost empty of people and vehicles this morning, while the streets were filled with barbed wire and concrete barriers. Security forces strengthened their presence during the second day of the Arab summit meetings in anticipation of an emergency.

Baghdad resident Khalaf Ahmad from Bayaa area said: "The government should have announced about imposing a curfew instead of closing roads after people left their homes and got stuck on streets."

Ahmad added that patients, doctors and paramedics faced difficulties in crossing particular roads and some of them preferred to return to where they came from.

The Ministry of Interior announced plans to block all mobile phone networks in different areas of Baghdad to prevent the communication of terrorist groups. The move is part of a security plan approved by the Office of the Commander General of the armed forces.

Some 100 Iraqi helicopters are expected to safeguard the governmental Green Zone in Baghdad.

Arab economy and finance ministers met yesterday in Baghdad. Foreign ministers are meeting today and the Arab summit will be held tomorrow in the presence of presidents and kings.

By Afrah Shawqi

RN/DM/AKnews

http://www.aknews.com/en/aknews/3/298361/

I can confirm both the restricted movement around Baghdad as well as the mobile phone communication restrictions mentioned in the article.

As far as them having their stuff together, nothing could be further from the truth.....

• Upvote 2

I can confirm both the restricted movement around Baghdad as well as the mobile phone communication restrictions mentioned in the article.

As far as them having their stuff together, nothing could be further from the truth.....

I'd have to agree with you on that.....I was there for 3 years, never really seen any progress while I was there. I am just hopeful for a quick RV.

• Upvote 1