Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Nuclear Summit: Barack Obama Tells Russia's Dmitry Medvedev More Flexibility After Election

delta22

SEOUL, March 26 (Reuters) - President Barack Obama was caught on camera on Monday assuring outgoing Russian President Dmitry Medvedev he will have "more flexibility" to deal with contentious issues like missile defense after the U.S. presidential election.

Obama, during talks in Seoul, urged Moscow to give him "space" until after the November ballot, and Medvedev said he would relay the message to incoming Russian president Vladimir Putin.

The unusually frank exchange came as Obama and Medvedev huddled together on the eve of a global nuclear security summit in the South Korean capital, unaware their words were being picked up by microphones as reporters were led into the room.

U.S. plans for an anti-missile shield have bedeviled relations between Washington and Moscow despite Obama's "reset" in ties between the two former Cold War foes. Obama's Republican opponents have accused him of being too open to concessions to Russia on the issue.

Leaning toward Medvedev, Obama was overheard asking for time - "particularly with missile defense" - until he is in a better position politically to resolve such issues.

"I understand your message about space," replied Medvedev, who will hand over the presidency to Putin in May.

"This is my last election ... After my election I have more flexibility," Obama said, expressing confidence he will win a second term.

"I will transmit this information to Vladimir," said Medvedev, Putin's protege and long considered number two in Moscow's power structure.

The exchange, parts of it inaudible, was monitored by a White House pool of television journalists as well as Russian reporters listening live from their press center.

Russia strongly opposes the U.S.-engineered bulwark being built in and around Europe against ballistic missiles.

The United States insists it is intended as protection against a missile attack by countries such as Iran, but Russia says it fears the system could weaken its nuclear deterrent.

The White House, initially caught off-guard by about the leaders' exchange, later released a statement recommitting to implementing missile defense "which we've repeatedly said is not aimed at Russia" but also acknowledging election-year obstacles on the issue.

"Since 2012 is an election year in both countries, with an election and leadership transition in Russia and an election in the United States, it is clearly not a year in which we are going to achieve a breakthrough," U.S. deputy national security adviser Ben Rhodes said.

"Therefore, President Obama and President Medvedev agreed that it was best to instruct our technical experts to do the work of better understanding our respective positions, providing space for continued discussions on missile defense cooperation going forward," he said. (Reporting By Matt Spetalnick; Editing by Robert Birsel)

Also on HuffPost:

SEOUL, March 26 (Reuters) - President Barack Obama was caught on camera on Monday assuring outgoing Russian President Dmitry Medvedev he will have "more flexibility" to deal with contentious issues like missile defense after the U.S. presidential election.

Obama, during talks in Seoul, urged Moscow to give him "space" until after the November ballot, and Medvedev said he would relay the message to incoming Russian president Vladimir Putin. As you roast the current sitting president you will be inflamed and enthused about this instead of the price at the pump and high unemployment!!!!!

The unusually frank exchange came as Obama and Medvedev huddled together on the eve of a global nuclear security summit in the South Korean capital, unaware their words were being picked up by microphones as reporters were led into the room.

U.S. plans for an anti-missile shield have bedeviled relations between Washington and Moscow despite Obama's "reset" in ties between the two former Cold War foes. Obama's Republican opponents have accused him of being too open to concessions to Russia on the issue.

Leaning toward Medvedev, Obama was overheard asking for time - "particularly with missile defense" - until he is in a better position politically to resolve such issues.

"I understand your message about space," replied Medvedev, who will hand over the presidency to Putin in May.

"This is my last election ... After my election I have more flexibility," Obama said, expressing confidence he will win a second term.

"I will transmit this information to Vladimir," said Medvedev, Putin's protege and long considered number two in Moscow's power structure.

The exchange, parts of it inaudible, was monitored by a White House pool of television journalists as well as Russian reporters listening live from their press center.

Russia strongly opposes the U.S.-engineered bulwark being built in and around Europe against ballistic missiles.

The United States insists it is intended as protection against a missile attack by countries such as Iran, but Russia says it fears the system could weaken its nuclear deterrent.

The White House, initially caught off-guard by about the leaders' exchange, later released a statement recommitting to implementing missile defense "which we've repeatedly said is not aimed at Russia" but also acknowledging election-year obstacles on the issue.

"Since 2012 is an election year in both countries, with an election and leadership transition in Russia and an election in the United States, it is clearly not a year in which we are going to achieve a breakthrough," U.S. deputy national security adviser Ben Rhodes said.

"Therefore, President Obama and President Medvedev agreed that it was best to instruct our technical experts to do the work of better understanding our respective positions, providing space for continued discussions on missile defense cooperation going forward," he said. (Reporting By Matt Spetalnick; Editing by Robert Birsel)

Also on HuffPost:

Give him some space Dimtri, i am sure this going a long way. Yes it will be his last election because he can't run for a 3rd term because we are giving him a second term because we cannot focus on the main issues long enough to make issues. Let's focus on the BS and cursing out other reporters than the issues at hand. :)

Edited by TPSprayduster
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

TP you are one confused individual!!! What this proves is that he is a traitor to the country. Caught by his own mouth.He wasn't talking about meeting the russian in the mensroom for his preffered form of diversion but selling out the safety of the U.S.A. and it's people . Unfortunatly we have a treasonous House and Senate also otherwise they would be calling for impeachment and arrest.

• Upvote 2

Obamas been selling us down the river the minute he to the Oath of Office. We have been cheated by the Double Tongues..(The Outlaw Josey Wales)...Obamas policies take effect after the next election and if he wins again...GOOD-BYE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA...hello...commieville :(:angry:

• Downvote 1

Give him some space Dimtri, i am sure this going a long way. Yes it will be his last election because he can't run for a 3rd term because we are giving him a second term because we cannot focus on the main issues long enough to make issues. Let's focus on the BS and cursing out other reporters than the issues at hand. :)

Don't be so sure that this will be, if elected, his last term. There will be efforts to remove the term limits if Pres. Obama remains in the White House. Yes, that is an opinion, but there have already been individuals that have suggested that scenario. Thankfully, it was shot down. Look for it's revival.

In my estimation, this President has been campaigning for three years and not running the country. Leadership in any form is concern for the needs of the people and the submission of the ego to what is right and good for them. Or, put in another way, his own desires are subservient to the needs of the country. I have not seen this in the present President.

The two/three party system of government where discussion and debate on policies, laws, and procedures are essential to good government. Decisions are then made based on what is good or best for the nation. Those in office who highjack the process with the assumption that the office they hold has no accountability are working under the delusion of intoxication by authority. Everyone in the congress needs to be scrutinized, called into accountability and either allowed to remain in office or removed. IMO.

Our president's confidence in winning a second term is in jeopardy.