Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Video: Middle East expert discusses Arab League summit

Stryker365

Stryker, that was a good find! Well informed commentator and guest. Of course, the guest is just stating and opinion, but it is an educated opinion. He doesn't seem to be expecting that Iraq or the Arab League will get much from the Summit. Let's hope he is wrong and there are a lot of "happy campers" after the Summit.

• Upvote 3

Listen again, he said if it goes on it will be good for Iraq but he doesn't think it will be held. I disagree, I believe it will unless they can't pay for it, so they need to RV IMO.

Professor didn't seem too optimistic on the summit outcome... :huh:

Right but he did for Iraq if it gets held.

He felt like the Arab Summit wouldn't have a good outcome but Iraq putting it on would be good for Iraq...

Edited by Stryker365
  • Upvote 4

I know he's an expert and I'm not, but I think he could be wrong. No mention of Chap. VII, or anything else besides the bombings. Now I hope he's wrong about them even having the summit. I hope they can pull it off. We know there is a lot going on in Iraq. They were very vague, and did not hit the points we probably would have asked him about. I don't mean just about currency either. :)

• Upvote 2

IMHO

I do not think there is anything that can be done to stop it! that said, I think it will not accomplish much, as the professor said, each country has their own agenda, and lets face it, they have no real power, with way to many issues on the table... Syria, Iran, and Egypt, not to mention how to continue pushing Iraq in the right direction.

it will happen and it will be most beneficial to Iraq!!!!

GO RV

• Upvote 1

Great find! Stryker, you got some game! :bow:

Here's a thought, the GOI has a "few" dollars stashed under the mattress that they could pay for the security bill.

I know this blows the "it has to RV so they can pay for this party" theory, but like the prof said, Iraq could come out the other side in a better position.

At this point ANYTHING in a forward direction is a good thing...

I hope your right, but it was stopped last yr. And that only days before.

JF, last year they were able to get away with it due to the unrest in the ME blah,blah,blah.... Iraq wasn't getting the blame then.

If it gets cancelled this time , it's all on Iraq and their incapabilities... JMO but I don't think they will let that happen. I think a lot of compromising will be done to save face, and their hopes to be the power players of the ME... again JMHO.

• Upvote 1

great find stryker! wow

Thanks Trinity,

I had to watch it several times last night because it has so much info in it and after reading some of these peoples comments I re-watched it again this morning and it is apparent that they are missing some great info. Because they are focused on looking for things like Erbil, HCL, Chapter VII or anything that says RV and are missing the best parts. I know this because I too did the same thing, its called human nature.

The Professor is giving his opinion but what a great opinion it is, I'll point out a few that I think that are being missed but I would suggest that everyone re-watch this several times because I think it will make you feel better. But listen to every word that comes out of both the Professor and the Commentator's month because he is speaking directly in defense of Iraq and pointing out some facts as well.

Listen carefully to the Professor at the very beginning because he says that it will be great for Iraq to hold the summit.

Commentator; as a symbol of Iraq repairing as a nation, how much is riding on Iraq hosting this Summit

Professor; very much, quite a lot and one of the problems is with these bombing's is you have two really complex messages one is saying the current government cannot guarantee peace and security in the country at the same time it doesn't seem that there is national unity because there are some parties opposition parties in Iraq that are not very happy about the way the country is going politically or economically, foreign relations as well as where there independence with America relations and with other countries and with Iran.bla bla bla..he talk way to fast thru this part...a suspension that there are people that don't mind it happening which leads to the second point that is a message to the Arab countries that this is dangerous so that the people that are behind this are hoping at lest some of the Arab countries won't attend or hopes that they (Iraq) will not hold it.

The Summit will put Iraq back on the main stage with the rest of the Arab World....

You guys/gals that care too, can listen to the rest but keep in mind that this Professor may not know how much we know about how much security that we are reading about now that they are doing to make sure it goes off well.

He may not know that they could have all the Erbil ready to be announced, Chapter VII may be released or a possible RV coming either because he may not own dinar so doesn't look at it the way we do.

I think this is great because it shows me that Iraq is determined to put this show on.....but they need their DFI funds and the only way they are going to get them to pay for this big party is to have Chapter VII released and we know what happens after that.

Edited by Stryker365
  • Upvote 10

Is there another way ? B) Sounds good to me.

Carrello, great question I do not know. I have gone through all their press statements and public viewing meeting items and there is nothing. Though there were several numbers missed in between items. Love the fact that they have numbers on everything. Follow the order and you see missing items. It is very possible that it will be released later for "security reasons." They have done it in the past. So I keep checking. We will see. :)

• Upvote 1

Listen again, he said if it goes on it will be good for Iraq but he doesn't think it will be held. I disagree, I believe it will unless they can't pay for it, so they need to RV IMO.

Right but he did for Iraq if it gets held.

He felt like the Arab Summit wouldn't have a good outcome but Iraq putting it on would be good for Iraq...

Stryker - they don't have to RV to pay for the summit IMO. I usually agree with all you say and love your analysis, but they could pay as they always do, with USD. Why not? Or pay in billlions of dinar. Either way. Perhaps their egos will take a dump, but perhaps not. These arabs know what's coming...they will wait until after the summit. It's just a dog and pony show - real work is behind the scenes

Stryker - they don't have to RV to pay for the summit IMO. I usually agree with all you say and love your analysis, but they could pay as they always do, with USD. Why not? Or pay in billlions of dinar. Either way. Perhaps their egos will take a dump, but perhaps not. These arabs know what's coming...they will wait until after the summit. It's just a dog and pony show - real work is behind the scenes

Well thanks for the complement hame55.

I don't want everyone to agree with everything I say anyway because I like it when people challenge my opinion the way you just did, it's the ones that do it with attitude that I don't care for and don't think I need to name names we know who those people are. They are the ones with over 5,000 post and only 300+ reputations.....:P ...

OK I like what you have brought here and I too have thought about these as I always try to play devils advocate before making post if I can.

Here are some of my reasons I think they need to RV before;

1) the UN still controls their DFI funds because they are not out of Chapter VII and they need there funds

2) they had to get a loan from the Cabinet of 100 million in USD, why wouldn't they give them all 450 million at once to pay all of what it's taking to put this dog and pony show on, because they don't have enough IMO

3) why haven't they spent the other 75 to 73% of their 2011 budget, because they don't have it and it is here in banks in the States, again because they cannot have it until out of Chapter VII.

4) they don't want to spend the dinar for obvious reasons, it is going to RV and they do not want to spend it at today's value

5) they do not have enough if my and others theory is correct and they have sucked in as much as Shabibi needs to RV, keep in mind that they need enough in circulation to keep the artificial economy going thru the daily auction thus keep the artificial rate of 1166, same goes with the USD.

6) yes they can spend and have spent the USD but they also say it is leaving the country as fast as it comes in, see the USD is the revenue from oil sales that the UN lets them have, the rest is left in the banks here in the States.

7) several articles about how much they owe on their contracts to companies like Exxon, if they had all their money to play with we would not hear about all of these. Again they worked the debt out to get the terms of the IMF done to get them out of VII, Exxon also said it was to hard to get money out of the GOI because they don't have it, it's here.

8) why would they have surpluses from ever budget that has been past if they had access to the funds

9) why are members of parliament asking why they haven't started the re-building process when they say that the budget has been past and the amendments should not hold all these project up, IMO it's because they can't spend what they don't have access to.

I can go on and on put I think this should give you and everyone my points on why they are not or can't spend what they don't have yet.

Here are a few things that point me in the direction of the urgency to get out of Chapter VII which will get them access to their funds.

1) settled the debt with Kuwait, hence an article yesterday that stated from the PM of Kuwait that all agreement were made and it was up to the UN to release Iraq from VII

2) the IMF states that a country must have all debt settled before they can make a change in the exchange rate, in this case IMO a revaluation of the Iraqi Dinar...I just like saying it...The Revaluation of The Iraqi Dinar....boy that makes me feel good..

3) payment by wire transfer to Egypt to settle debt that should arrive in the Central Bank of Egypt by the 25th from a Citibank account here in the States.

4) ambassador of Iraq meet with ambassador of Saudi Arabia to settle debt and work out bilateral relationships earlier this week

Again there is much more but I think this highlights the bigger ones

Now here is why I think the times good if they have everything worked out as in the Erbil Agreement which I think they do...

1) security will never be better, Shabibi has stated that this ia a must to RV

2) time to educate the citizens

3) banks close for transitional reasons, what a better time than next week

4) as JustNTime stated, the merchants will have plenty of time to re-price goods, they don't know it yet but they may need to close for a few days to do this.

5) must the invited guest have relieved debt to Iraq and are there to talk about investment projects, what better timing IMO

If anyone has others to add or if you think I've lost my mind just let me have it, I would get offended....:D

• Upvote 4