Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Obama Signs “Anti-Occupy” Law

40oz

Friday Mar 9, 2012 4:50 pm

Members of National Nurses United demonstrate in front of the White House on November 3, 2011. A bill signed by President Obama this week will increase restrictions on protest in certain parts of the District of Columbia.

(Photo by Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)

In certain corners of the Internet, concern has been gathering about another so-called “Anti-Occupy” bill.

Last week, H.R. 347, otherwise known as the Federal Restricted Buildings and Grounds Improvement Act, passed the House 399-3, and on Thursday it was signed into law by President Obama. In response, bloggers from the libertarian Daily Paul to the leftist Daily Kos accused the federal government of gutting the First Amendment.

Did something important happen while the rest of us were rolling our eyes at Rush Limbaugh?

According to the ACLU, there is indeed something disturbing about H.R. 347—but it had already been part of federal law long before last week.

The new bill modifies a 1971 law that restricted entering or blocking public areas cordoned off by the Secret Service while a protected individual is passing through, or during major public events like the Super Bowl or party nominating conventions. Violators can face up to a year in jail; if they’re carrying a dangerous weapon, it’s ten.

Of course, it’s probably a good thing that the police can arrest strangers with guns who try to get a little too close to the president. But more recently, this law has been used to shunt protestors at major political events into “free speech zones,” isolated from the crowds—and cameras—that might give their constitutionally-protected demonstrations some heft. Another issue is that the Department of Homeland Security has fairly wide latitude in what areas it can declare off-limits.

This has major implications for anyone planning protests at the NATO or G8 conferences later this spring, including Occupy. But that would have been the case whether or not H.R. 347 had passed.

What, then, has changed? First, certain parts of the District of Columbia, like the White House lawn, were added to the list of federally protected areas. (Previously, they had only been covered under DC trespassing statutes.) Second, and somewhat more ominously, it’s now easier for prosecutors to convict people arrested under the law. Before, violators had to “willfully and knowingly” enter a protected area, meaning that they knew the area was protected, and knew that it was illegal for them to be there. H.R. 347 deletes the word “willfully,” meaning that prosecutors no longer need to prove that someone knew what they were doing was illegal to convict them.

In other words, Congress removed a hurdle in enforcing the law without actually adding any new restrictions to the First Amendment. Then again, the restrictions that already exist are enough to concern anyone who believes the right to assembly is a crucial part of the democratic process.

• Upvote 1

500 vets were planning to march on the RNC in Florida along with thousands of liberty-minded republicans. With this new law they will all be subject to 10 years in prison for doing so. Freedom of speech is a thing of the past my friends. SHTF Aug. 27th, if not sooner.

500 vets were planning to march on the RNC in Florida along with thousands of liberty-minded republicans. With this new law they will all be subject to 10 years in prison for doing so. Freedom of speech is a thing of the past my friends. SHTF Aug. 27th, if not sooner.

I say march anyway!!! There is no way that the authorities have the infastructure it would take to detain that many people.... As a Veteran who happens to be a Republican.... I will march!!!!!

• Upvote 2

I say march anyway!!! There is no way that the authorities have the infastructure it would take to detain that many people.... As a Veteran who happens to be a Republican.... I will march!!!!!

If we don't stand together we will fall alone.

• Upvote 1

I like your style! From what I can find, Kokesh hasn't talked about this issue publicly and so far it's game on.

Based on this:

HR 347 makes it a prosecutable offense to knowingly, and without lawful authority, enter

(1) the White House or its grounds or the Vice President’s official residence or its grounds,

(2) a building or grounds where the President or other person protected by the Secret Service is or will be temporarily visiting, or

(3) a building or grounds so restricted due to a special event of national significance.

there could be a lot of tension. I've heard the Feds can organize a FEMA camp in no time flat. But like geman said, "If we don't stand together we will fall alone."

• Upvote 1

I like your style! From what I can find, Kokesh hasn't talked about this issue publicly and so far it's game on.

Based on this:

HR 347 makes it a prosecutable offense to knowingly, and without lawful authority, enter

(1) the White House or its grounds or the Vice President’s official residence or its grounds,

(2) a building or grounds where the President or other person protected by the Secret Service is or will be temporarily visiting, or

(3) a building or grounds so restricted due to a special event of national significance.

there could be a lot of tension. I've heard the Feds can organize a FEMA camp in no time flat. But like geman said, "If we don't stand together we will fall alone."

the outcome of mass detainment in FEMA camps will be catastrophic to this government..... They will have a divided populus to tend with AND a divided military who will refuse to take part in such atrocities!!

Adam agrees:

"I'm well aware of the implications and considering my next move on the issue. Thank you all for your input. Obviously, we will continue organizing as planned. Personally, I can't imagine a better way to go down swinging than surrounded by fellow vets and RP supporters at the RNC. If there are enough of us, they won't be able to arrest/charge/try/process all of us. I hope you'll join me, because I know a lot of the vets feel the same way. THIS is where we make our stand.

http://www.facebook....22975741135078/ "

Edited by 40oz

the outcome of mass detainment in FEMA camps will be catastrophic to this government..... They will have a divided populus to tend with AND a divided military who will refuse to take part in such atrocities!!

they won't use our military:o