Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

‘ ’USA! USA!’ Victory Chant Deemed Racial Insult

krome2ez

High School Students‘ ’USA! USA!’ Victory Chant Deemed Racial Insult

Posted on March 7, 2012 at 10:16am by Madeleine Morgenstern

A Texas school district has filed a complaint after students chanted "U-S-A! U-S-A!" after their basketball team beat a predominantly Hispanic school in a regional tournament. (Image source: San Antonio News-Express)

In what is being described as an incident of racism, a school district in Texas has filed a complaint after some rival high school students chanted “U-S-A! U-S-A!” to celebrate a basketball victory. And some of the students involved have now been punished and forced to apologize.

Student supporters at Alamo Heights High School started the celebratory chant after their team clinched a regional championship against San Antonio Edison High School on Saturday, the San Antonio News-Express reported.

Edison High School is predominantly Hispanic, and officials at the San Antonio Independent School District took the chant as a racial insult from supporters of the largely white Alamo Heights team. Cause you know only whites come from the USA <_< .

According to the News-Express, the chant lasted only about five seconds before Alamo Heights head coach Andrew Brewer quickly silenced the students. Nevertheless, SAISD athletic director Gil Garza on Tuesday filed a complaint with the University Interscholastic League, which oversees extracurricular activities in Texas public schools.

“Our kids try real hard and work extra hard to get to the regional tournament, and then we have to worry about them being subjected to this kind of insensitivity,” Garza told San Antonio’s KENS-TV. “To be attacked about your ethnicity and being made to feel that you don’t belong in this country is terrible. Why can’t people just applaud our kids? It just gets old and I’m sick of it. Once again, we‘re on pins and needles wondering what’s going to happen.”

Alamo Heights Independent School District Kevin Brown apologized to SAISD officials for the incident, and said some of the students who participated in the chant were Hispanic themselves. The dozen or so students identified will apologize and are barred from attending Thursday’s state semifinal game, local NBC affiliate WOAI-TV reported.

“Obviously, we were disappointed that this happened,” Brown told KENS. “That‘s not who we are as a community and that’s not who we are as a school. It‘s not something that’s acceptable for us. Our kids are very respectable. We have to remember that they’re teenagers, and kids make mistakes.”

He continued, “We have tried to use this as a teachable moment for them. We have talked to our students. We’ve taken responsibility for it, although what happened is not representative of everybody who was there.”

According to the News-Express, Edison coach Art Vela said his players were already in the locker room when the chant erupted and that they didn’t hear it.

Nevertheless, it’s the second year in a row such an incident has occurred after the tournament. Last year, students at a different high school chanted “U-S-A! U-S-A!“ and ”Arizona! Arizona!” after they beat another school. The “Arizona!” chant was in reference to the state’s illegal immigration bill.

“Our kids deserve better than hearing what they did after the game from those Alamo Heights students, even if it was just for a few seconds,” Garza said. “Once it’s out, it’s out.”

Joe “Pags” Pagliarulo — a nationally syndicated radio host based in San Antonio and frequent fill-in for Glenn Beck — on Wednesday blasted the local media coverage of the controversy, saying reporters demonized the “U-S-A!” chant, rather than presenting the story as students misusing it as a taunt. Listen below:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/high-school-students-usa-usa-victory-chant-deemed-racial-insult/

http://www.clipsyndicate.com/video/playlist/18764/3331933

In the context the article presented, yep, definitely racist. I'm from Mn and went to a high school that was in a highly populated Jewish area and when we would play opposing suburban hockey teams sometimes they would through bagels onto the ice. Similar situation would be bananas being thrown at black players in soccer matches. Amazing this stuff still goes on.

• Upvote 10
  • Downvote 10

No apology was necessary! When will we ALL learn the lefties are slowly trying to take away our rights..., even the 1st Amendment. I place the blame of those who complained, not at the feet of the kids, but at the school system or parents who are at war with this country!

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

No apology was necessary! When will we ALL learn the lefties are slowly trying to take away our rights..., even the 1st Amendment. I place the blame of those who complained, not at the feet of the kids, but at the school system or parents who are at war with this country!

Wrong......and enough with the "lefties" junk. You wear your politics like a trucker hat. :angry:

GO RV, then BV

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 9

Wrong......and enough with the "lefties" junk. You wear your politics like a trucker hat. :angry:

GO RV, then BV

You're right and I do...,and proud of it..., with NO apologies! Just like the marxists do who expose their beliefs and flaunt it while serving the obama administration. Example..,. Van Jones the professed communist..., Anita Dunn..., who loves Mao and spewed it out in a speech.., and of all places in a Cathedral. How about these two for starters!

USA...,USA is a chant we sould ALL be proud of as Americans regardless what our backgrounds are..., and, without ANY apology!

Edited by parmenio
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Fine....I got into this thing, I might as well see it thru and take my lumps. This is a High School team. It is not Team U.S.A. What point are they trying to make? Everybody at the school knew they were in the U.S.A. Were they trying to make a point? Did they have a point to make? What were they trying to say? If you're already in the U.S.A, then there is no reason to point out the obvious........I am as tired of the racism card as anybody, but come on. Why were they chanting U.S.A., rather than their school or mascot name? Kids being kids, that's why. Not thinking, just doing. As always, just my opinion. <_<

GO RV, then BV

• Upvote 4

My apologies parmenio. I just reread my response and it was very harsh. You are certainly allowed to have your opinions and for me to stomp on them, I am truly sorry. I try to not let things get personal and in this instance, I failed miserably. Have a good day. ;)

GO RV, then BV

I accept my friend..., I understand!

Many of us have induldged in passion rhetoric and speak from our hearts and not from our heads. I too am guilty of that. Others again, like me, had/have loved ones who paid a price and continue to do so to this very day to serve this country that we may speak freely as we do! Let's hope we can continue to do so in the future for our kids! God bless and GO RV !!

Edited by parmenio

Does this picture bother you?.........It shouldn't, everybody loves chicken......American chicken at that, KFC to boot....:lmao: My family will fight over the Breasts so i have had to run with the bucket too :drool: But Political Correctness has paralyzed

everything we say or do and the way we think, or should I say the way were

forced to think .............................................. Come on people this has gone to far

• Upvote 4

Hello, they said both the high schools are in the USA! What would they like us to chant? It's not like they chanted, "whites, whites, whites". WTH I don't understand how chanting the name of your country is racist? The last i knew Texas was in the USA.

Edited by nettie
  • Upvote 4

Does this picture bother you?.........It shouldn't, everybody loves chicken......American chicken at that, KFC to boot....:lmao: My family will fight over the Breasts so i have had to run with the bucket too :drool: But Political Correctness has paralyzed

forced to think .............................................. Come on people this has gone to far

Political correctness is one big suppository and we are all taking it in the rump. <_<

• Upvote 5

Fine....I got into this thing, I might as well see it thru and take my lumps. This is a High School team. It is not Team U.S.A. What point are they trying to make? Everybody at the school knew they were in the U.S.A. Were they trying to make a point? Did they have a point to make? What were they trying to say? If you're already in the U.S.A, then there is no reason to point out the obvious........I am as tired of the racism card as anybody, but come on. Why were they chanting U.S.A., rather than their school or mascot name? Kids being kids, that's why. Not thinking, just doing. As always, just my opinion. <_<

GO RV, then BV

Shab... unbelievable isn't it? Some people clearly recognize a taunt that's intended only to - show a difference in racial backgrounds as if this is my country not yours - and some are deaf as hell. What is it that makes us interpret the obvious so differently? Nevertheless, it's a lesson for the kids and I hope they will become more sensitive to what the USA should mean.

In the context the article presented, yep, definitely racist. I'm from Mn and went to a high school that was in a highly populated Jewish area and when we would play opposing suburban hockey teams sometimes they would through bagels onto the ice. Similar situation would be bananas being thrown at black players in soccer matches. Amazing this stuff still goes on.

Welcome to online DV... where folks can hide while they throw bricks. Enjoy your posts! Take Care

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

Shab... unbelievable isn't it? Some people clearly recognize a taunt that's intended only to - show a difference in racial backgrounds as if this is my country not yours - and some are deaf as hell. What is it that makes us interpret the obvious so differently? Nevertheless, it's a lesson for the kids and I hope they will become more sensitive to what the USA should mean.

Welcome to online DV... where folks can hide while they throw bricks. Enjoy your posts! Take Care

...,And here comes the Cisco Kid!! :P :P :P

Edited by parmenio

...,And here comes the Cisco Kid!! :P :P :P

Well Parmenio where would you be without me? I make you relevant P.

Hey Mongo, nothing is offensive unless it's meant in an offensive way. I don't relate fried chicken to anything but clogged arteries - but I like to have it 4 or 5 times a year! PC is a state of mind... it's when terms are used for the intent to stereotype.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You have got to be kidding me. Ah someone tell this schools district what country we live in.

Stupid! USA USA USA USA. don't like it. Leave!

LOL! So why would they chant USA when both teams are from um the US. This is blatantly a case of obvious racism, the message is you are not american because you are hispanic even though they are Americans. If some can't see the subtext they are not paying attention.

GOODY TWO SHOES STRIKE AGAIN...........

Maybe we need a new chant here, Hmmm, lets see, "white european settlers", "white european settlers", maybe that would be more politically correct. :lol: Let the kids play, "USA, USA" give me a break....and Im English.

Hmmm I supposed throwing bananas at black futball players is just good old fashion fun too eh. As petty as it is it's still racist.

Hello, they said both the high schools are in the USA! What would they like us to chant? It's not like they chanted, "whites, whites, whites". WTH I don't understand how chanting the name of your country is racist? The last i knew Texas was in the USA.

It's racist because the implication is that the hispanic team are not Americans, why? Because they are hispanic. You don't hear crowds of people chanting USA during the superbowl, why? because it makes no sense, both teams are from the same country. So why when two teams are from the SAME country would the white school chant USA to the brown school? unless one is completely ignorant of racial issues and sensitivities the only conclusion that remotely makes sense is that it's blatantly racist. Im not saying it's "news worthy" but it's still racist.

Thanks friend I enjoy your posts as well, glad to see there is some rational here

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

And when they play Hockey -sometimes they throw baby octopuses on the ice-and that is Racism? give me a break- I f i was the opposing B-Ball coach i wouldve had my guys yell out--U-S-A.also- WHY because we live here to-I would think this wouldve brought A unity factor into this crazy country-WHY DONT YOU TRY IT- instead of saying -Hey there were Bagels on the ice- If you want Racism --go to the track-

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

And when they play Hockey -sometimes they throw baby octopuses on the ice-and that is Racism? give me a break- I f i was the opposing B-Ball coach i wouldve had my guys yell out--U-S-A.also- WHY because we live here to-I would think this wouldve brought A unity factor into this crazy country-WHY DONT YOU TRY IT- instead of saying -Hey there were Bagels on the ice- If you want Racism --go to the track-

Well said!

I did some research of octopi on the ice during Red Wing hockey games (sorry, no link). The first octopus showed itself on the ice in 1952. At the time, a local fish market owner and his brother were big hockey fans and were the ones to start this strange event. The significance of the octopi was to symbolize the victories needed to win the championship. Each tentacle represented a win. Apparently at that time, 8 wins was necessary to take home the cup. Sorry.......nothing racial here. ;)

GO RV, then BV

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1