Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Oil and gas legislation deadlocked

Oil and Gas Legislation Deadlocked

04/03/2012 04:40:00RUDAW

ERBIL, Iraqi Kurdistan -- Adil Barwari, Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki’s adviser for affairs of the Kurdistan Region, does not think that Iraqi Parliament will pass the oil and gas legislation this year.

Barwari told Rudaw, “Due to political disagreements, it is hard to see the oil and gas legislation resolved this year.”

Maliki’s State of Law coalition in parliament said that the issue of oil and gas would be finalized this year.

The oil and gas legislation has been the major point of dispute between the Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG) and Baghdad for several years.

In 2007, Erbil and Baghdad agreed on a draft law for the country’s oil and gas that was supposed to be sent to parliament for approval, but later the central government abandoned the agreement and prevented the draft from being referred to parliament.

Last summer, the Iraqi Ministry of Oil unilaterally prepared another draft to be reviewed by parliament for voting, but the Kurdistan Region strongly rejected the drafted document and demanded a return to the 2007 agreement.

Following the 2010 elections in Iraq, the Kurds lent their support to Maliki’s government on the condition that he would pass and abide by the points of the 2007 agreement.

But two years on, the oil and gas law still lies in the drawers in Baghdad.

Prime Minister Maliki has indicated in the past that he is willing to finalize the issue and his Ministry of Oil says the draft is in parliament and only needs the blessing of the political parties.

Asim Jihad, a spokesman for the Ministry of Oil, told Rudaw, “My ministry’s duty was to prepare the draft. It is now finished and has already been sent to parliament. That’s why it is not our concern anymore.”

But Farhad Atrushi, a Kurdish member of the oil and gas committee in the Iraqi Parliament, said, “The draft that has been sent to parliament was prepared by the Iraqi Council of Ministers. We, the Kurds, will not approve this document because it is against the constitution and Kurdish interests.”

Atrushi admitted that, “Lack of political agreement has caused the oil and gas legislation to reach a deadlock. It will be difficult to resolve this issue right now.”

On the other hand, Qasm Muhammad Qasim, a Kurdish MP in Iraqi Parliament, said, “There are currently two drafts for oil and gas in Iraq. One prepared by the Iraqi government and the other by the parliamentary oil and gas committee.”

According to Qasim, the different blocs in parliament are in dispute over the two drafts and that is one of the reasons for the delay in passing the country’s oil and gas law.

“According to Resolution 111, priority will be given to the draft law that has been prepared by the committee of oil and gas and we have consulted on this matter with the legislation committee,” Qasim said.

The major difference between the two drafts, Qasim said, is that, “The file prepared by the Ministry of Oil will give more power to the central government and the prime minister, and that goes against the constitution.”

Kurds advocate for the passing of the original draft law that would give provinces and federal regions authority to run their own natural resources without referring to the capital.

Ali Shalla, a close aide to Prime Minister Maliki, told Rudaw, “Passing the legislation will not be delayed another year.”

“The parliament will approve the drafted legislation this year, as the KRG and the central government are both serious about resolving

http://www.rudaw.net...kurds/4491.html

• Upvote 1

Ali Shalla, a close aide to Prime Minister Maliki, told Rudaw, “Passing the legislation will not be delayed another year.”

“The parliament will approve the drafted legislation this year, as the KRG and the central government are both serious about resolving

That's a good way to finish reading the unpleasantness that went before.

• Upvote 1

They put this article out for us.. They know we are watching. :P One hand not going to pass this year, other hand going to pass this year. Well, we know it will, if it hasn't already. :eyebrows: Once they get out of the prep meetings it will be easier to know the score. Just my 2 :twocents:. But time is running out for them. I don't think they know that we know that. Here's to the bologna coming out in the news. :twothumbs: We know better than that.

They say that the difference: "The major difference between the two drafts, Qasim said, is that, “The file prepared by the Ministry of Oil will give more power to the central government and the prime minister, and that goes against the constitution.”

If it is unconstitutional, why would the committe put forth something to fight about? This is strictly political. The PM doesn't need to handle oil and gas laws, he has enough to do with all the positions

he is holding. PM alone is a big job. Why hang on? Maliki can't stay out of matters that are not

his problem. I think he is a power freak.

• Upvote 1

That's a good way to finish reading the unpleasantness that went before.

MD, this is a case of save the best for last... What I don't understand is, if the government is trying gain confidence from the Iraqi citizens, how can they with articles like this ??

They put this article out for us.. They know we are watching. :P One hand not going to pass this year, other hand going to pass this year. Well, we know it will, if it hasn't already. :eyebrows: Once they get out of the prep meetings it will be easier to know the score. Just my 2 :twocents:. But time is running out for them. I don't think they know that we know that. Here's to the bologna coming out in the news. :twothumbs: We know better than that.

They say that the difference: "The major difference between the two drafts, Qasim said, is that, “The file prepared by the Ministry of Oil will give more power to the central government and the prime minister, and that goes against the constitution.”

If it is unconstitutional, why would the committe put forth something to fight about? This is strictly political. The PM doesn't need to handle oil and gas laws, he has enough to do with all the positions

he is holding. PM alone is a big job. Why hang on? Maliki can't stay out of matters that are not

Right on, I too believe this is a smoke screen.

This articles states there having problems passing hcl.

Heres to the bologna coming out in the news???? How can you decipher whats real or not when your using the same media to determine its legit. do you seperate by positive news is real, and negative news is bologna.

MD, this is a case of save the best for last... What I don't understand is, if the government is trying gain confidence from the Iraqi citizens, how can they with articles like this ??

Shelley, IMO I don't think they are trying to gain confidence with the citizens.

The officials are all negotiating to their rivals through the press.

HCL is about power & anyone with a veto has power to fight/delay for the best deal possible.

I don't think it's the politicians that needs this as bad as the people and as their back isn't against the wall they probably

won't cave in as easily as someone who does.

Nice to see Ali Shalla reaching out to Adil Barwari. Hopefully when their people are ready to formally talk again it will be with less destructive intentions.

That's me trying to stay positive.