Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

chapter 7 removal

truthful1

Ive read many opinions that iraq can or may be released from ch.7 at any time.

How is that possible before the next scheduled unsc meeting?

Without an official meeting with an official vote, how can we expect removal before the next meeting this summer?

With all the gathering of support iraq is trying to obtain is there still a vote to be made?

Would the unsc not want the world stage to announce such event themselves?

I really have no clue. thats why im asking. thanks for all comments

Edited by truthful1

For sure the UNSC has to vote (at least I think its just the SC, not the full GA) to remove them. Just when that might happen I don't know. So when Iraq articles talk about removal from Chapter 7 I think they are talking about doing what is needed to allow such a vote to succeed.

Edited by dvforumuser

Ive read many opinions that iraq can or may be released from ch.7 at any time.

How is that possible before the next scheduled unsc meeting?

Without an official meeting with an official vote, how can we expect removal before the next meeting this summer?

With all the gathering of support iraq is trying to obtain is there still a vote to be made?

Would the unsc not want the world stage to announce such event themselves?

I really have no clue. thats why im asking. thanks for all comments

Maliki is scheduled to go to Kuwait later this month, and this is to discuss the outstanding issues with Kuwait, and will likely try to attempt to work out a deal where Kuwait would agree to work with Iraq bilaterally to resolve the outstanding issues. There was actually an article that came out just today about this:

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&langpair=ar|en&rurl=translate.google.com&twu=1&u=http://www.aladalanews.net/index.php%3Fshow%3Dnews%26action%3Darticle%26id%3D92915

"Iraq and Kuwait being the middle of this month and talks at the highest levels of dealing with a range of bilateral issues of mutual interest,

Where will the Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki's official visit to Kuwait to discuss the files to remove Iraq from Chapter VII and file missing Kuwaiti prisoners and border problems and remedies."

These are the key issues, as well as the debt owed to Kuwait for the remaining 17B. In order to get out of Vii they would need to resolve all of these items, and complete the next 16 or so quarterly payments to Kuwait, which would take about 4 years. If they can get Kuwait to agree to work with them bilaterally, rather than through the UN, then maybe come the next UNSC meeting in June they will potentially see some progress, but it would be a hard sell since there is not anything to gain by Kuwait by doing this. They have openly expressed their concerns in the past about working with Iraq in a bilateral agreement without UN support, and fear that Iraq will not meet their obligations to them if they do not have the support and pressure of the UN to see to it that they do.

I guess we will see if Maliki does make the trip there later this month, if they can come to some agreements, and if it will help them in the next meeting where they would need to vote to remove Iraq from Vii..

Edited by JayP
  • Upvote 3

Yes I agree Totally that is to discuss and then put to paper and sign first before it will RV so would be nice if can be done by June or the end so then at the next UNSC meeting in June thats a big ask from Iraq anyone else would go all out and wrap it up but they just plug along very casual and look at to many negatives I know they have been told to hurry up and sort out but they have cotton wool in their ears at times they just dont trust any one when they should be going for it as the world is helping them and they keep asking for investment the quicker the better and investment will come as soon as they prove themselves and thats only fair but tell them that ? cheers :P

For sure the UNSC has to vote (at least I think its just the SC, not the full GA) to remove them. Just when that might happen I don't know. So when Iraq articles talk about removal from Chapter 7 I think they are talking about doing what is needed to allow such a vote to succeed.

From what I have read, the UN General Assembly has nothing to do with the UNSC voting, UNLESS someone petitions the UN stating that they have basically been ignored and then such a measure can be taken. But given that the UNSC has been receptive to changes in the situation in Iraq, removing them from a number of resolutions over their past several meetings, any request from Iraq on that level would probably do more harm than good for them.

Hopefully, Iraq will have met enough of the criteria put to them by the next meeting and review of the situation of Iraq by the UNSC in June... Iraq definitely could have done more sooner to achieve resolution to these issues, but if they truly do want out of the stigma of those resolutions then now is the time to show it...