Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

ARAB Summit 2012

George Hayduke

Iraq says Arab summit to be held on schedule (Reuters)

25 February 2012, 10:27 PMBAGHDAD - Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri Al Maliki said on Saturday an Arab League summit would take place as scheduled in Baghdad next month, despite security fears after violence killed at least 60 people this week.

Maliki’s announcement came after Al Qaeda’s affiliate in Iraq threatened a new wave of attacks against Shia Muslims, whom the Islamist militant group accuses of persecuting Sunni Muslims in post-Saddam Iraq.

The Islamic State of Iraq, an umbrella group for Al Qaeda-linked Sunni insurgents, claimed responsibility for a string of coordinated attacks that mainly targeted police forces in Shia areas and killed at least 60 people across the country on Thursday.

The violence highlighted the threat Al Qaeda and other militant groups continue to pose to vulnerable security forces after the withdrawal of US troops in mid-December.

The summit has been twice delayed by regional turmoil and acrimony between Baghdad and some Sunni Arab Gulf states over Bahrain’s crackdown on Shia protesters a year ago.

Maliki said all Arab countries had agreed to attend the March 29 summit, including 13 kings and presidents.

‘I thank these Arab countries frankly, some of whom said ‘By god, we will go to Baghdad, even if on foot’,’ said Maliki in a speech to Iraqi researchers.

‘Even after the attacks that happened some days ago, their aim was to give a message to prevent the summit from taking place, but thanks be to God, it did not have an effect.’

Maliki said the Arab League had inspected security measures Baghdad had taken to secure the safety of dignitaries going from the airport to the meeting venue and back, which they ‘highly approved of and were satisfied with’.

The Islamic State in Iraq warned that war between Sunnis and Shia s was inevitable.

‘There is no way out of it and there is no swerving from it,’ the group’s spokesman Abu Muhammad Al Adnani was quoted as saying in an audio message released by the U.S.-based SITE Intelligence Group late on Friday.

‘Know that the coming stage is a stage of real confrontation and war against the despicable (Shia s), whether you like it or not.’

The summit in Baghdad will take place as Sunni and Shia powers jockey for influence in a region increasingly split along sectarian lines over the turmoil in Syria and Western sanctions against Iran.

Iraq has strong ties to Syria and Maliki enjoys strong support from Shia Iran.

• Upvote 4

Thanks George. Anyone that thinks Iraq will host their most important event in decades with their currency on par with Charmin, is quite simply WRONG. This is their time. This is our time. Go RV!

Exactly, I just don't understand how they can have a show 'n tell without having something to show 'n tell...

...and, I can't believe all of these dignitaries are going to show up in an environment where real danger exists just to hear Maliki tell them that he has a plan he is going to impliment in the near future. But, if it goes down that way then I will be convinced those people are dumber than a sack of hammers...

GH

• Upvote 2

Lol - ya, I doubt you'll see any leg there BUT come Vegas Baby... if you got the gamms, you can strut yo stuff with capris all night long B)

GH

o we gonna be poppin them bottles in the club with the fine ladies here at DV dress to impress i always say :)

Im bringin out all the stops its vegas BABY!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by easyrider
  • Upvote 3

Thanks George. Anyone that thinks Iraq will host their most important event in decades with their currency on par with Charmin, is quite simply WRONG. This is their time. This is our time. Go RV!

I simply cannot wait!! I'm practically shaking with excitement!! Yes, it is their time. And yes, it is our time. And I am soooo ready!!

• Upvote 2

Yes I agree with you. Their currency is an embarrassment to their country.

• Upvote 1

By George I think you've got it!!! emot-woot.gif Fine post.. and really and truly I believe this is to be their coming out party.... why else would all the other Arab leaders be so anxious to get there? Things are gonna start looking up for Iraq anytime now.... and we get ring side seats! As Alex says... saweeeeet!!!wink.gif Now for my final comment... git-r-dun boyz... just git-r-dun!!!biggrin.gif

Come On RV Baby!!!cool.gif

• Upvote 1

Maliki said all Arab countries had agreed to attend the March 29 summit, including 13 kings and presidents.

‘I thank these Arab countries frankly, some of whom said ‘By god, we will go to Baghdad, even if on foot’,’ said Maliki in a speech to Iraqi researchers.

On Schedule

GH

why is everyone so hype off of this, could it just mean that they are still doing a RD not RV..*not a LOPer*.. just try to find some answers on how this is good news

Edited by welcome007
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1