Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Recording an earthquake in northern Iraq

yota691

Recording an earthquake in northern Iraq

story_img_4f4a0d6dba14f.jpg

Recorded seismic observatories in the General Authority for meteorological and seismic monitoring of the Ministry of Transport earthquake, night, northern Iraq, near the Iraqi-Turkish border.

A statement by the Information Office of the Ministry of Transportation: "The strength of the tremor recorded in the eleventh hour and minute the twenty-seventh of last night, amounted to / 3.5 / on the Richter scale, consisting of nine degrees, the distance / / 80 km northeast of Dohuk There were no reports the presence of damage. "

The statement added: "The Zagros mountain range and its surroundings are the most important sources for earthquakes north and northeast of Iraq because of what they contain the series of geological faults and transverse faults and deep, which are hotbeds of potential seismic activity." / 4

Updating :: 26/02/2012 13:52 http://translate.google.com/translate?langpair=ar%7Cen&rurl=translate.google.com&u=http://www1.alforattv.net/modules/news/article.php%3Fstoryid%3D69295

• Upvote 1

This particular mountain range is of the fold variety, the sedimentary rocks, including large areas of shale, cover the folds that created long parallel ridges, with valleys between and fertile plains to the north. They run sort of east west, sort of. At the one end where Turkey borders Armenia is Mount Ararat were Noah supposedly landed his ark.

This is an area that was formed in part by volcanism so earthquakes here are no surprise. There are more in Turkey, as we have seen with some disastrous results in the past decade or so. But where this quake happened there is very little human habitation, perhaps some herders, so no one was hurt.

One of the things I find interesting about some earthquakes is the fact that in some places a quake at just the right angle and just the right time in terms of centuries or millenia, ... sometimes the quake can create a new mountain. Often it will push in a lateral direction and create a fold off to one side with that pressure. Sometimes, like in the vanishing smoking mountains in the ocean, a quake will happen in an area that is composed of certain kinds of sedimentary layers that will give in an upward direction. If that shove is sharp enough it will cause a rift mountain, sort of slanted on one side but almost sheer on the other. The Rift Vally in Africa is the perfect example of course. But there are smaller, almost unnoticed rift mountains all over the place. I often wonder if the quake that is reported as hitting some large city and causing so much damage and loss of property and life, might somewhere else be responsible for shifting the earth in a pernament way.

Also, another interesting part for me, is that when the earthquake does make the earth move, and shake, with an initial quake and then after shocks, people of ancient times, and even today some of the native peoples in the South Pacific, which is home to a lot of volcanism and shifting earth in smaller quakes, these people did, and in some cases still do, attribute the earth movement to God (or in some case one of several Gods) and try to figure out if He is pleased or displeased with something they have done. That is what led to the ancient rites of tossing sacrificial animals, or virgins into the volcano.

Animals or virgins ... wait a minute. does that mean these natives felt that animals were as important as their virgin daughters, or that their virgin daughters were no better than a goat? Hmmm ... I'll have to give that some thought.

Anyway, that is my bit on mountains and earthquakes. See what happens at almost five in the morning when I can't sleep and your posts make me think of something on which to expound? I should really have someone take my keyboard away at night when I go to bed. Maybe that way I'd get some sleep and not spend my time boring people who wonder if I don't have anything better to do. Actually ... I don't.

:)

smee2

• Upvote 1

Interesting Smee, I think the symbolism of sacrificing a virgin daughter and or a prized goat in the volcano had more to do with they were willing to sacrifice something of great importance to them to their "Gods". A virgin daughter, the future of the tribe. A perfect goat, food for the tribe. They more than likely believed it was more of a requirement of the Gods and they had no choice for the safety and future of the tribe.

Interesting Smee, I think the symbolism of sacrificing a virgin daughter and or a prized goat in the volcano had more to do with they were willing to sacrifice something of great importance to them to their "Gods". A virgin daughter, the future of the tribe. A perfect goat, food for the tribe. They more than likely believed it was more of a requirement of the Gods and they had no choice for the safety and future of the tribe.

I'm willing to throw a bunch of gurus into a volcanoe it it will help. :eyebrows:

I'm willing to throw a bunch of gurus into a volcanoe it it will help. :eyebrows:

That's a great idea! :P

What I found interesting...being a geology buff...was that even through the bad translation, I read a bland, standard geologic media statement, following action from sophisticated sensors and equipment. No malarkey about the Prophet's anger with infidels...just straight science.

Somehow, that's comforting...