Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Need Some Computer/Wireless Help Please

andy3978

Was hoping to get some help with a computer issue. Any help would be appreciated. Here's the deal:

I have Optimum Online and am currently getting their 'Boost' package which guarantees 50Mbps down & 8Mbps up.

On my Desktop which is wirED via ethernet to the router, I am getting these speeds. In fact I get closer to 60M down.

Problem is when I jump on the laptops (wireless) I see at best 15Mbps down however I am getting the 8Mbps up speed.

I tried plugging the laptop directly into the router via ethernet and I have no problems seeing the 60/8 speeds. Problem only happens wirelessly.

I tried 3 laptops (2 newer Compaqs and 1 Dell) and my cell phone (via wifi) Droid Bionic 4G from VZW. Poor Down speeds persists across all devices.

All the computers have 2-4 gigs of memory and processors 2gig or better.

I tried 2 different routers, one being a Belkin F5D9230-4 Wireless G Plus MIMO router and a Netgear WGT624v3 (supposedly capable of 108Mbps). Tried relocating the routers thinking maybe there's intereference--no help. Tried changing channels on the routers--no help. Tried turning off any type of security on the network--no help.

I understand I won't see 60Mbps down wirelessly due to overhead etc...however I am seeing 1/3 of the wired speeds and I believe this is unacceptable. Called Cablevision; they said since I am getting the promised speeds via ethernet the problem is not the service. Tried calling Belkin & Netgear and after the going through the basics, they were stumped. Cablevision said I should be seeing at least 40Mbps wirelessly since I am getting 60 wired. I'd be happy even getting 30 on the laptops!

Do I need to go to an N router? Any ideas?

Imo it is your router.

wireless g can attain speeds up to 54mb under perfect conditions, ie not obstructed etc.

wireless n will go faster with much farther distance reliability.

You may have settings in your current router that can be set to achieve better speeds. There should be an http/address with a username/password to acces the router.

Imo it is your router.

wireless g can attain speeds up to 54mb under perfect conditions, ie not obstructed etc.

wireless n will go faster with much farther distance reliability.

You may have settings in your current router that can be set to achieve better speeds. There should be an http/address with a username/password to acces the router.

Thank you for the response. I did go through all the settings in the router (both the Belkin and Netgear) on my own and with the help of tech support all to no avail. The Netgear tech said since we tried everything he could think of, the only thing that could be the problem is interference. Well I moved the router around--no help. And there's nothing around my place that can cause that sort of interference. Hell I even had the laptop 2 inches away from the router. Still nothing

How old is your cable modem. I would try a new one since you already tried multiple routers. There are settings inside the cable modem if you have the address to access it. Docsis levels of modems have changed and you might just need an upgrade. You didnt mention the brand of cable modem you have. I believe its up to docsis 3 now , so it could quite possibly be your modem. Good luck.

I just got the new Dual-band Belkin 750. ( $99.00 at Staples )

One band is for streaming TV or games while the other band is for surfing the net.

The company promises no drop in speed either up or down if you want to run all 3

simultaneously. I have found it to be true.

This modem is a beast. The downloading of music on Itunes and streaming

from Hulu and Netflix is unreal. We have 4 Macs in our house with several TVs

so there is always cross-over. Not a problem for the Belkin.

That is my experience.

Was hoping to get some help with a computer issue. Any help would be appreciated. Here's the deal:

I have Optimum Online and am currently getting their 'Boost' package which guarantees 50Mbps down & 8Mbps up.

On my Desktop which is wirED via ethernet to the router, I am getting these speeds. In fact I get closer to 60M down.

Problem is when I jump on the laptops (wireless) I see at best 15Mbps down however I am getting the 8Mbps up speed.

I tried plugging the laptop directly into the router via ethernet and I have no problems seeing the 60/8 speeds. Problem only happens wirelessly.

I tried 3 laptops (2 newer Compaqs and 1 Dell) and my cell phone (via wifi) Droid Bionic 4G from VZW. Poor Down speeds persists across all devices.

All the computers have 2-4 gigs of memory and processors 2gig or better.

I tried 2 different routers, one being a Belkin F5D9230-4 Wireless G Plus MIMO router and a Netgear WGT624v3 (supposedly capable of 108Mbps). Tried relocating the routers thinking maybe there's intereference--no help. Tried changing channels on the routers--no help. Tried turning off any type of security on the network--no help.

I understand I won't see 60Mbps down wirelessly due to overhead etc...however I am seeing 1/3 of the wired speeds and I believe this is unacceptable. Called Cablevision; they said since I am getting the promised speeds via ethernet the problem is not the service. Tried calling Belkin & Netgear and after the going through the basics, they were stumped. Cablevision said I should be seeing at least 40Mbps wirelessly since I am getting 60 wired. I'd be happy even getting 30 on the laptops!

Do I need to go to an N router? Any ideas?

I used to troubleshoot internet connection problems for the local cable company.

An "N" router won't help unless your laptops have N cards in them. G class wireless cards will only carry into the 20 Mbps range max. So, if you have wireless G in your laptops changing routers will not increase your speed.

Check your laptops before upgrading your router.

Hope this helps.

Edited by MrFnHappy
  • Upvote 2

I used to troubleshoot internet connection problems for the local cable company.

An "N" router won't help unless your laptops have N cards in them. G class wireless cards will only carry into the 20 Mbps range max. So, if you have wireless G in your laptops changing routers will not increase your speed.

Check your laptops before upgrading your router.

Hope this helps.

I was thinking this after I posted last night.

I have had success with a netgear wireless N DUAL BAND USB device. Model no. is WNDA3100 v2 I think.

I downloaded Windows 7 Ultimate at a variable speed of 140MB to 195MB into a 64 bit duo core laptop

that I picked up cheap during a seminar in Wyoming last year. I used a Holiday Inn wireless connection

that was part of the room price while I was there. The 2 to 3 Gigabyte download took 2 to 3 hours to

download. I would guess that your laptops could use the DUAL N BAND USB upgrade and work at the

limits of your modem or desktop router. Hope this helps.

NMGarand

How old is your cable modem. I would try a new one since you already tried multiple routers. There are settings inside the cable modem if you have the address to access it. Docsis levels of modems have changed and you might just need an upgrade. You didnt mention the brand of cable modem you have. I believe its up to docsis 3 now , so it could quite possibly be your modem. Good luck.

Sorry i should have mentioned it earlier. The modem is an Aris, its the newest and best one Optimum Online offers. This is a new one as they sent me one recently thinking this may be the speed issue. It was not though :(

Sorry i should have mentioned it earlier. The modem is an Aris, its the newest and best one Optimum Online offers. This is a new one as they sent me one recently thinking this may be the speed issue. It was not though :(

It's not your modem, it's your "G" routers....but. as I stated, if your laptops aren't "N" then buying another router won't change anything.