Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Russia to boost arsenal to protect resources,Putin says

umbertino

Personal note. That's about 600 BILLION Euros .... One wonders how many problems and issues could be solved with wiser, more enlightened and basically ethical usage of all that money... Putting that amount where the People needs are... Creating jobs, creating social structures, creating funds for workers and persioners, housevives, children, disabled Individuals...And lots of other useful things....So much to do...But they always tell us they lack the funds for the things that really matter to the People....Not only in Russia but in every Country ( depending on each Nation's resources) including yours and mine......But... They say that's the way...Besides...I can only imagine the kind of bribery going along with such a huge amount availability to pick the Contractors etc...

I very simply think it's OBSCENE....JMHO.

Government plans on spending hundreds of billions on military modernization

The Associated Press

Posted: Feb 20, 2012 5:48 AM ET

Russia needs to modernize its military arsenals to deter others from grabbing its resources, Russia's Prime Minister Vladimir Putin says in an article published Monday.

Putin, who is running to reclaim presidency in March 4 election, didn't name any specific nation eyeing Russian mineral riches, but in the past he had repeatedly accused the United States of trying to weaken Russia in order to sideline a rival.

"We mustn't tempt anyone with our weakness," Putin wrote in the government daily Rossiyskaya Gazeta.

Putin said the government plans spending about 23 trillion rubles (about $770 billion US) over the next decade to purchase more than 400 intercontinental ballistic missiles, more than 600 combat aircraft, dozens of submarines and other navy vessels and thousands of armoured vehicles.

"Amid global economic upheavals and other shocks there always is a temptation to solve one's problems by using force to apply pressure," Putin wrote, pointing at arguments that resources of global significance shouldn't be subject to national sovereignty and should be shared.

Putin didn't specify who is making such claims, but some Russian officials and lawmakers had alleged in the past that the West is eyeing Russia's rich mineral resources.

He said that Russia will respond to the planned U.S. missile defence by developing weapons capable of penetrating it.

Putin has dismissed the U.S. claim that the prospective shield is intended to counter the Iranian missile threat, saying that its real goal is to erode Russia's nuclear deterrent.

Putin said Russia also needs to look 30 to 50 years ahead to foresee threats posed by prospective new weapons technologies.

While a nuclear conflict looks unlikely, scientific progress leads to the emergence of new weapons that could change the character of war, Putin said. He specifically referred to precision long-range non-nuclear weapons, saying they emerge as key instrument of modern warfare.

While Putin on Monday stopped short of naming any nation developing the technology, Russia has long voiced concern with U.S. plans to re-equip some of its long-range nuclear missiles with conventional warheads.

Experts have warned that the obsolete equipment and aging workforce at Russian defence plants put a challenge to the ambitious weapons modernization program.

Putin said the government would need to focus on modernizing weapons-making plants, promising to encourage private investments in arms production.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2012/02/20/russia-arsenal-putin.html

Edited by umbertino

Having served as a B-52 pilot for 10 1/2 years of my 20 year military career, and thus having sat through innumerable intelligence briefings about the then-Soviet Union, I see this is just same song, umpteenth verse when it comes to Russia. They have a centruies-long cultural inferiority complex, wanting to be regarded as a true world power, but possessing the ability to do so only by arming themselves to the teeth so other nations will fear them. That's the essence of their definition of power. The excuse of resource protection (from who?) is just that, an excuse. Russia's vast size and strategic inaccessability (remember the fate of both Napoleon and Hitler) are natural protection for them. Putin's rearming rhetoric is a cover for Ruissia to become, once again, the neighborhood bully. Here we go again. <_<

• Upvote 4

Having served as a B-52 pilot for 10 1/2 years of my 20 year military career, and thus having sat through innumerable intelligence briefings about the then-Soviet Union, I see this is just same song, umpteenth verse when it comes to Russia. They have a centruies-long cultural inferiority complex, wanting to be regarded as a true world power, but possessing the ability to do so only by arming themselves to the teeth so other nations will fear them. That's the essence of their definition of power. The excuse of resource protection (from who?) is just that, an excuse. Russia's vast size and strategic inaccessability (remember the fate of both Napoleon and Hitler) are natural protection for them. Putin's rearming rhetoric is a cover for Ruissia to become, once again, the neighborhood bully. Here we go again. <_<

I could not have stated this any clearer than you have. Thanks for your insight.

• Upvote 1

They need to spendmoney on sobering up their troops. Their conscript army is a mess.

• Upvote 1