Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

US to Iraq don't blow this opportunity

WASHINGTON | Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:15pm EST

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States has warned Iraq not to "blow this opportunity" to become a prosperous, unified nation, U.S. Secretary of State Hillarious Clinton said on Thursday, saying it must start to act like a democracy and embrace compromise.

Iraq has suffered its worst political crisis in a year with Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki's move to arrest Vice President Tareq al-Hashemi last month, which has raised fears of renewed sectarian violence following the U.S. troop withdrawal.

Speaking in a question-and-answer session with State Department employees, Clinton said U.S. ambassador to Iraq James Jeffrey has taken the lead in urging Iraqi politicians including Maliki, a Shi'ite, to settle their differences peacefully.

"He is constantly ... reaching out, meeting with, cajoling, pushing the players, starting with Prime Minister Maliki, not to blow this opportunity," she said. "This is an opportunity to have a unified Iraq and the only way to do that is by compromising."

Hashemi, a Sunni, was accused of running death squads. He has denied the charges and sought refuge in Iraq's semi-autonomous Kurdish region, where he is unlikely to be arrested.

The current political crisis threatens to break up the country's fragile coalition government, raising fears it could slip back into the sectarian carnage that broke out following the 2003 U.S. invasion.

Clinton said despite the downfall of Saddam Hussein, whose Sunni-dominated regime oppressed Iraq's Shi'ite majority, Iraqis' "minds are not yet fully open to the potential for what this new opportunity can mean to them."

She said the United States would do whatever it could to help "but at the end of the day, Iraq is now a democracy but they need to act like one and that requires compromise."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/26/us-iraq-usa-idUSTRE80P1MG20120126

• Upvote 8

WASHINGTON | Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:15pm EST

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States has warned Iraq not to "blow this opportunity" to become a prosperous, unified nation, U.S. Secretary of State Hillarious Clinton said on Thursday, saying it must start to act like a democracy and embrace compromise.

Iraq has suffered its worst political crisis in a year with Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki's move to arrest Vice President Tareq al-Hashemi last month, which has raised fears of renewed sectarian violence following the U.S. troop withdrawal.

Speaking in a question-and-answer session with State Department employees, Clinton said U.S. ambassador to Iraq James Jeffrey has taken the lead in urging Iraqi politicians including Maliki, a Shi'ite, to settle their differences peacefully.

"He is constantly ... reaching out, meeting with, cajoling, pushing the players, starting with Prime Minister Maliki, not to blow this opportunity," she said. "This is an opportunity to have a unified Iraq and the only way to do that is by compromising."

Hashemi, a Sunni, was accused of running death squads. He has denied the charges and sought refuge in Iraq's semi-autonomous Kurdish region, where he is unlikely to be arrested.

The current political crisis threatens to break up the country's fragile coalition government, raising fears it could slip back into the sectarian carnage that broke out following the 2003 U.S. invasion.

Clinton said despite the downfall of Saddam Hussein, whose Sunni-dominated regime oppressed Iraq's Shi'ite majority, Iraqis' "minds are not yet fully open to the potential for what this new opportunity can mean to them."

She said the United States would do whatever it could to help "but at the end of the day, Iraq is now a democracy but they need to act like one and that requires compromise."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/26/us-iraq-usa-idUSTRE80P1MG20120126

Might be reading into this a bit much but perhaps hidden messages.

Don't blow it! :twocents:

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the post Tony. It's a pity with all the lives lost and money spent over there that these people still won't co-operate. What a waste.

I've always heard you can't teach old dogs new tricks, so in my opinion it'll be the new generation that'll make the big changes to a democratic country.

I would think, that for a Muslim man, having a woman, no matter the position, that these comments by Secretary Clinton to man-up, are not only humiliating, but demasculating. I hope they try to prove her wrong....soon.

You scared me a little by the way you started ( I would think, that for a Muslim man, having a woman, no matter the position ) good thing I don't have a dirty mind. :lol:

• Upvote 1

Alright ... I get what U.S. is trying to do by telling them that they must compromise and get along with each-other.

My problem with this scenario is .... DO YA ACTUALLY THINK THEY ARE GONNA LISTEN TO US WHEN WE (U.S. Goverment) IS GUILTY OF THE EXACT SAME THING RIGHT NOW?

The Democrats and Republicans can't get along, can't agree on anything, are self-serving, and don't give a 'flying U Know What' about the country or it's people.

The Iraqi government was spawned by the U.S. government ...

With that being said ....

Didn't they learn from us and why should WE expect them to act any differently?

Just sayin' .... TwoCents.gif

• Upvote 4

the uncompromising egos of men will never be fully understood. it has gotten in the way of so much progress. this is one reason why i do advocate for more female involvement in our government. they are not as hindered as men with egotistical roadblocks. not saying that they don't have them, just not as rigid.

i am truly hoping iraq can overcome these limitations; the same limitations that our own republic was not able. remember that the southern states stood and walked out of congress sine die (without day), suspending the republic and hence our great republic has operated under a "state of emergency" (executive order) ever since through the act of war powers. the south was pummeled into submission to the union (sectarian violence) but the suspended congress never reconviened and hence the great republic remains, til this day, suspended. since that time every president has had to declare some "state of emergency" to continue its war power (military rule) under the false pretense of a working republic.

perhaps iraq can do us one better..... perhaps, for our investment's sake

if any of this sounds foreign to you, and i'm sure it does to most, there is tons of information out there on the topic. here is a site that does a decent job of covering it.

be blesse my friends. go rv!

• Upvote 2

I would think, that for a Muslim man, having a woman, no matter the position, that these comments by Secretary Clinton to man-up, are not only humiliating, but demasculating. I hope they try to prove her wrong....soon.

And not decide to ignore her & go the other way in spite. Egos make men do irrational things.

KK

• Upvote 1

Aaaughh!!! That word SOON again. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Did it on purpose didn't cha. My head and eyes twitch now when I see that word. :lol: :lol:

i just posted something on this in another thread and then i read this...................for once i agree with Hillarious.......dont blow it is right..........there is too much at stake here...........they will be wealthy beyond our dreams...............talk about the golden oasis.............they will make their neighbors.....jealous........you want a talk about keepin up with the jones'.............and tony thanks for the post appreciate it............GO DINAR

• Upvote 1