Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

RIP, Joe

GODyesRVmaybe

I was pilloried in this forum back in November for posting my feelings on the ill treatment Joe Paterno received from his involvement (or non-involvement as is the case) over the Sandusky child abuse case at Penn State. I really don’t know why the fate of Mr. Paterno’s legacy even matters to me. I live not too far from State College, but did not graduate from, nor attend, Penn State. I listened to Penn State football on the periphery as background noise while working in the office, but have no affiliation with it beyond that. I was even “read the riot act” one year about 5 years ago from a Major League baseball manager who personally phoned me from Florida when he heard I made a statement that Joe should retire because I felt today’s college athlete was out of his control.

I suppose part of why his treatment has bothered me is because of the many, many, many positive impactful things he did for so many young people at that school and away from it. That this one incident (for which he did nothing wrong) would be the cause of so much anger and vile hate directed at him by a one-sided media blitz I found to be horrific. He was for many years fully dedicated to the Special Olympics and to the IFC Panhellenic (dedicated to conquering childhood cancer). He and his family also supported the University beyond measure.

I was directed to an article that says it much better than I, in of all places, the Huffington Post. I wanted to pass it along here:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bob-mckinnon/joe-paterno-dead_b_1222237.html

I also just wanted to take this moment and this space where others feel free to express their personal opinions, to wish Mr. Paterno a restful peace. His real legacy will live on in the lives of all the people he touched. God bless you, Joseph Vincent Paterno.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 4

I was pilloried in this forum back in November for posting my feelings on the ill treatment Joe Paterno received from his involvement (or non-involvement as is the case) over the Sandusky child abuse case at Penn State. I really don’t know why the fate of Mr. Paterno’s legacy even matters to me. I live not too far from State College, but did not graduate from, nor attend, Penn State. I listened to Penn State football on the periphery as background noise while working in the office, but have no affiliation with it beyond that. I was even “read the riot act” one year about 5 years ago from a Major League baseball manager who personally phoned me from Florida when he heard I made a statement that Joe should retire because I felt today’s college athlete was out of his control.

I suppose part of why his treatment has bothered me is because of the many, many, many positive impactful things he did for so many young people at that school and away from it. That this one incident (for which he did nothing wrong) would be the cause of so much anger and vile hate directed at him by a one-sided media blitz I found to be horrific. He was for many years fully dedicated to the Special Olympics and to the IFC Panhellenic (dedicated to conquering childhood cancer). He and his family also supported the University beyond measure.

I was directed to an article that says it much better than I, in of all places, the Huffington Post. I wanted to pass it along here:

http://www.huffingto..._b_1222237.html

I also just wanted to take this moment and this space where others feel free to express their personal opinions, to wish Mr. Paterno a restful peace. His real legacy will live on in the lives of all the people he touched. God bless you, Joseph Vincent Paterno.

An Inconvenient Truth:

Well, maybe you have not read all of the details that have come out in the last two or three months on this issue. As it turns out-Joe Paterno knew a whole lot more than he was telling us he did at first, but to make short work of all the new revelations for you--

-he did indeed know that Sandusky was violating young male children at Penn State but he turned a blind eye toward the entire matter, outside of purveying the information to Administration; but not right away. In one incident of the rape of one young boy (there were many) he waited until later to do so because of the "holidays", as he said.

I know this sort of raw truth makes you and others uncomfortable and I hope you ask yourselves why, at some point. All of the online newspapers that i have read on this subject and comments from the readers have nothing but disdain for this monster that would accomodate the ruin of innocent lives. Joe Paterno was an accomplice to the rape of many innocent children. Do you have any idea what that did to the mind, soul and spirit of these children, then and for the rest of their lives? It is obvious what his true legacy will be.

Let me tell you--Joe Paterno's response to the knowledge of what was going on in that locker room would have been completely different had it been his grandson in there.

I bet you, in retrospect, it was the realization of what he allowed to happen that took him down a few days ago.

I am shocked that you would still carry a 'torch' for this accessory to a crime.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 4

He was JUST a football coach! One of the winningest but there are plenty of great coaches that had they stayed around long enough could be right there with him as far as wins. We can only hope and pray that they would have better judgement than "Joe Pa" had . Just a coach, not a saint. We so be so concerned about the wake of harm and shame left behind.

• Upvote 3

I'm sorry that Mr. Paterno lost his life and the grief that it has caused his family and friends. I wish that I could say that I have respect for him. I don't. To me he is nothing more than a coward. If I had knowledge of sexual abuse of any kind I would report it to the local authorities and District Attorney swiftly.

I hope that the victims in this case receive the justice and counseling that they deserve.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

I'm sorry that Mr. Paterno lost his life and the grief that it has caused his family and friends. I wish that I could say that I have respect for him. I don't. To me he is nothing more than a coward. If I had knowledge of sexual abuse of any kind I would report it to the local authorities and District Attorney swiftly.

I hope that the victims in this case receive the justice and counseling that they deserve.

thanks. someone gave me a neg for my post. makes you wonder about their psyche....

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

An Inconvenient Truth:

Well, maybe you have not read all of the details that have come out in the last two or three months on this issue. As it turns out-Joe Paterno knew a whole lot more than he was telling us he did at first, but to make short work of all the new revelations for you--

-he did indeed know that Sandusky was violating young male children at Penn State but he turned a blind eye toward the entire matter, outside of purveying the information to Administration; but not right away. In one incident of the rape of one young boy (there were many) he waited until later to do so because of the "holidays", as he said.

I know this sort of raw truth makes you and others uncomfortable and I hope you ask yourselves why, at some point. All of the online newspapers that i have read on this subject and comments from the readers have nothing but disdain for this monster that would accomodate the ruin of innocent lives. Joe Paterno was an accomplice to the rape of many innocent children. Do you have any idea what that did to the mind, soul and spirit of these children, then and for the rest of their lives? It is obvious what his true legacy will be.

Let me tell you--Joe Paterno's response to the knowledge of what was going on in that locker room would have been completely different had it been his grandson in there.

I bet you, in retrospect, it was the realization of what he allowed to happen that took him down a few days ago.

I am shocked that you would still carry a 'torch' for this accessory to a crime.

Of course I need you to keep me updated. But please, do it with truth:

You write: "he did indeed know that Sandusky was violating young male children at Penn State but he turned a blind eye toward the entire matter, outside of purveying the information to Administration; but not right away. In one incident of the rape of one young boy (there were many) he waited until later to do so because of the "holidays", as he said. "

As is oft asked on these boards "Link please". You can show me none. He did say something to the affect that he would wait until after the weekend, but that didn't even pan out as he reported on Sunday.

Now, let me tell you (as you want to tell me).......... 1. If Mr. Q, who is a young, strapping football player/coach had "done more" when he witnessed a late 50 year old do what he claims he saw him doing, Mr. Paterno's involvement would have been zero. 2. You can tell me all you want that you would have done more, but I do not believe you. I do not believe that you do everything you can every time you see some crime being done, let alone when you hear of one being committed.

Your inconvenient truth is that you don't know any more about what really happened than anyone else outside of Sandusky and McQueary and Sandusky's victims. But another very inconvenient truth is that Mr. Paterno has had a more positive affect on young people's lives by accident than you probably ever will on purpose.

Hey, don't like Paterno. Don't like me. I really don't give a rip what some anonymous poster on here thinks of me. But the Man whose avatar you have on your profile may one day be asking you how you see the speck in your brother's eye, but do not see the plank in your own.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

Of course I need you to keep me updated. But please, do it with truth:

You write: "he did indeed know that Sandusky was violating young male children at Penn State but he turned a blind eye toward the entire matter, outside of purveying the information to Administration; but not right away. In one incident of the rape of one young boy (there were many) he waited until later to do so because of the "holidays", as he said. "

As is oft asked on these boards "Link please". You can show me none. He did say something to the affect that he would wait until after the weekend, but that didn't even pan out as he reported on Sunday.

Now, let me tell you (as you want to tell me).......... 1. If Mr. Q, who is a young, strapping football player/coach had "done more" when he witnessed a late 50 year old do what he claims he saw him doing, Mr. Paterno's involvement would have been zero. 2. You can tell me all you want that you would have done more, but I do not believe you. I do not believe that you do everything you can every time you see some crime being done, let alone when you hear of one being committed.

Your inconvenient truth is that you don't know any more about what really happened than anyone else outside of Sandusky and McQueary and Sandusky's victims. But another very inconvenient truth is that Mr. Paterno has had a more positive affect on young people's lives by accident than you probably ever will on purpose.

Hey, don't like Paterno. Don't like me. I really don't give a rip what some anonymous poster on here thinks of me. But the Man whose avatar you have on your profile may one day be asking you how you see the speck in your brother's eye, but do not see the plank in your own.

Im sorry. i could not read any more of your post after, "a young strapping...". I am getting sick right now. not kidding. God Bless you, man. Im outta here.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

thanks. someone gave me a neg for my post. makes you wonder about their psyche....

No worries, I gave you a + to even you out.

What is most shameful about this case is that there are many potential victims and their families that are left to deal with the aftermath of Sandusky and those that protected him. Not to mention in a minimal way that the legacy of Penn state has been tainted. This case reminds me of the sexual abuse that occurred in the Catholic Church's in my area and beyond.

This is a tough subject to discuss. Thanks for your post.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

LOL................... have a good day. And thank you for all the negatives. I wear them with honor.

With all of your adoration of Paterno, has it not sunk in that Sandusky has been accused of abusing children as recently as 2009?

That is 7 years of children being abused by Sandusky that Paterno could have very possibly stopped if he had gone beyond the bare minimum required by their state law.

College coaches are essentially surrogate parents for the men/women under their guidance. What does it really tell all of those men that went through his programs over the years that Paterno was given the opportunity to protect more children from having such things happen to them and he failed the moral obligation to do so.

• Upvote 2

With all of your adoration of Paterno, has it not sunk in that Sandusky has been accused of abusing children as recently as 2009?

That is 7 years of children being abused by Sandusky that Paterno could have very possibly stopped if he had gone beyond the bare minimum required by their state law.

College coaches are essentially surrogate parents for the men/women under their guidance. What does it really tell all of those men that went through his programs over the years that Paterno was given the opportunity to protect more children from having such things happen to them and he failed the moral obligation to do so.

Thanks for your thoughts. I disagree of course.

Mr. Paterno was far from the only person that could have done something.

There were, now reported, 3 prior Grand Juries that found no evidence of any wrongdoing in sexual abuse cases at Penn State (so did nothing), a DA that found no crime (so nothing was done), police and an Attorney General that said Paterno did nothing wrong, the attorney for the last victim involved stated he wished the Board of Trustees had not taken this action against Paterno and let's not forget a football coach that (reportedly) saw this incident and did nothing more than call his dad and then Paterno. There were 2 Admistration officials that were in charge of these types of things that were reported to and seemingly dropped the ball (excuse the unintended pun) and a college President who did nothing. There was a Board of Trustees who reportedly knew of this incident but did nothing keep Sandusky, a man BTW that Paterno had no charge over at that point, away from the campus (at the very least). But no, we need to bring down Paterno.

Paterno is also the only one of all those involved that later stepped up and said he wished he had done more. My point is, that over his tenure he did far more than anyone else for the youth and kids in the area (and for athletic programs across the country) than all of these people (and I can probably safely add all his detractors) combined .

I hope you and every other person that hates the man for this one incident are able to live the kind of perfection in your lives that you vilify Mr. Paterno for. The world should be a safer place now that Mr. Paterno is gone.

So here you all go. I have added another post that you will be able to give me a negative for.

Have a good evening.

• Downvote 1

Paterno knew what was going on with Sandusky and the young men that he sexually abused. It's a shame that Paterno is no longer a witness for the prosecution. Oh well, there should be plenty of testimony to convict Sandusky. I'm hoping that the DA gets a slam dunk in this case.

• Upvote 1

Paterno knew what was going on with Sandusky and the young men that he sexually abused. It's a shame that Paterno is no longer a witness for the prosecution. Oh well, there should be plenty of testimony to convict Sandusky. I'm hoping that the DA gets a slam dunk in this case.

If you are really following this case, it is not so much of a slam dunk because McQ has changed his story at least 3 times.

If Sandusky did this (and it sounds he did), my wish is the death penalty would be an option.

• Upvote 1

If you are really following this case, it is not so much of a slam dunk because McQ has changed his story at least 3 times.

If Sandusky did this (and it sounds he did), my wish is the death penalty would be an option.

I am not following this case on a daily basis nor have I read hundreds of documents that have been filed with the county.

The case will play out in the courts, as it should. The truth always prevails.

• Upvote 1

People are afraid of what he "didn't" do. They don't want to admit. You could be the savior of the world, but if you let these things happen, you deserve it. I live in Philly and I have plenty of friends who are upset and plenty who agree with me. He was the school, he was the idol, he was the statue. Not anymore.