Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Recent dinar change may have been more than a test.

IMO, the recent dinar change may have been more than a test.

[...testing.....testing...1...2...3...4...testing.....]

Not only do I think it's a "test", but it could also be a warning shot from Shabbi across the bow of the GOI telling them to get their Shiite together. I don't believe the inflation data on the CBI website - I think it's higher than they say it is.

95% of their GDP is oil. They have to BUY EVERYTHING ELSE - food, clothing, construction material, petrol, everything. The countries around them are experiencing MASSIVE inflation, only partially due to sanctions.

If their neighbors are experiencing huge inflation, it is getting passed on to Iraq through the goods that they purchase from them.

Read the line immediately above again, and think about it a bit.

If they haven't felt much of it yet, they will very soon. And that's just the price of goods part of the equation. If they are attempting to control inflation through the purchasing of dinar in the auctions, they are expending their precious USD reserves to do it. This temporary fix cannot go on all year long. Hitting $60 billion in reserves is also a great source of pride for them. Think they want to report next month that it's dropped to $55B? Those bragging articles weren't for the "people". They were to the IMF, World Bank, UNSC, WTO and to their neighboring countries. They don't want to walk that one back.

As for it being a test, I think that holds some water too. Their banking system is still a little creaky, and it's not a bad idea to see where any "leaks" might come from. The amount of the change isn't significant in it's amount, but in it's message: the CBI can do this, see? Shabbi can get away with it now also, what with his neighbor's central banks under seige from the west, a few pips won't hurt. He's also flexing Iraq's muscles, letting them know that HIS currency is going the opposite way that theirs is - the "new kid in town" announcement!

(Umbertino, got any Eagles?)

I don't think anything will happen until after the "Conference", and whether it was successful or not. Even if we wish otherwise, a currency is only as stable as the government that backs it.

Just thought I'd throw that out there....

Edited by fnbplanet
  • Upvote 17
  • Downvote 1

BOTH the Syrian Pound and the Iranian Rial are at their lowest exchange rates since at least 2002, and that's if you even believe what they really should be, and they're slipping very quickly now. A full blown embargo/sanctions against them would cripple their Central Banks (which is the goal, mind you, not hurting their citizens, except to stir up a little unrest....). If prices stayed the same for goods purchased through them, it would actually help Iraq, but that isn't the case, and that is why we're hearing more "inflation" articles - the prices on their goods isn't only climbing to match the currency's drop, but also in anticipation of the situation getting much worse. Imagine a 3LB bag of onions from Syria that cost $1.00 USD three months ago. It's probably $1.25 now, not the $1.14 the currency change reflects.

Remember, the plan for Iraq was to only have 5% inflation this year, and I'd bet that number was used, in part, to write their budget. Now you know why there's calls to speed up the budget lately. They would have to rewrite (as in, start from scratch) the whole thing, further slowing, and diminishing, the flow of monies to the provinces for water, sewers, electricity - thereby threatening their phoney-baloney jobs in the process ( elections coming up, riots around the corner...).

Historic Rates

SYP (Syrian Pound)

Used in the following countries: Syrian Arab Republic

Export to: XML Excel Processing, please wait.

Operational Rate Effective Date

55.26 31 Dec 2011

49.3 01 Nov 2011

48.47 01 Oct 2011

47.4 01 Aug 2011

47.3 30 Jun 2011

47.02 01 May 2011

46.34 01 Apr 2011

46.36 01 Mar 2011

46.26 01 Feb 2011

Historic Rates

IRR (Iranian Rial)

Used in the following countries: Iran

Export to: XML Excel Processing, please wait.

Operational Rate Effective Date

11,012.0 31 Dec 2011

10,844.0 01 Dec 2011

10,681.0 01 Nov 2011

10,736.0 01 Oct 2011

10,570.0 01 Sep 2011

10,546.0 01 Aug 2011

10,874.0 30 Jun 2011

11,702.0 15 Jun 2011

10,567.0 01 Jun 2011

10,404.0 01 May 2011

10,375.0 01 Apr 2011

10,290.0 01 Mar 2011

10,319.0 01 Feb 2011

This is my first response on this site or any other site and probably will be my first and last. I am was only concerned about the RV and information needed to get there.

About this pipeline, I want to be assured, as possible, that is SAFE. Have anyone truly looked at the map of the country that will be most affected if there is an accidental SPILL or LEAKAGE. This pipeline starts at the very end of CANADA (the end closest to the UNITED STATES) and runs down the MIDDLE of the United States. That is my concern.

• Downvote 2

This is my first response on this site or any other site and probably will be my first and last. I am was only concerned about the RV and information needed to get there.

About this pipeline, I want to be assured, as possible, that is SAFE. Have anyone truly looked at the map of the country that will be most affected if there is an accidental SPILL or LEAKAGE. This pipeline starts at the very end of CANADA (the end closest to the UNITED STATES) and runs down the MIDDLE of the United States. That is my concern.

Here at DV, we do not condone the use of illegal drugs or alcohol in excess, especially during the daylite hours when there may be children in the home that are awake.

I recommend that you remove your birthday from your user name, correct your zip code, visit more often and keep up with the news so you do not need a babysitter, and visit this site for the facts on the pipeline: www.nrdc.com

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Give me a break. Is it safer to be dependant on foreign oil? We are idiots as a society. We have enough of our own natural energy resources to sustain ourselves but we will continue to feed terrorists our money through arab oil. Take your choice between rediculous over regulation by the EPA and continuing to feed our enemies with our money or aquire oil from Canada as well as our own sources. By the way, we already have pipelines running through this country from Alaska. That should be a hint at what would be if we have a Canadian pipeline.

Before we had all these environmental scare tactics the average life expectancy was 65. I live in a community where there are droves of 80 and 90 year olds. I guess thats because the air is so bad? Give me a break. No offense meant Barbara 020548. Take it from me (we're pretty close in age by four months...you're older :o ) We are better off now than our forefathers in spite of the supposedly horrendous environmental conjored up calamity that would be caused by our being self reliant in the area of energy sources. Its a joke and we Americans, actually the young ones our children, are being led off like little lambs to slaughter. I hope I am wrong. You and I may not be here when its time for payback. You can thank our worthless politicians for where we find ourselves today. Sorry that i babbled on so much but its frustrating. In the meantime....GO RV.

• Upvote 1

Here at DV, we do not condone the use of illegal drugs or alcohol in excess, especially during the daylite hours when there may be children in the home that are awake.

I recommend that you remove your birthday from your user name, correct your zip code, visit more often and keep up with the news so you do not need a babysitter, and visit this site for the facts on the pipeline: www.nrdc.com

I don't really know if I am capable of being that diplomatic. Thanks for mopping that up!

I do all that writing, and get the thread jacked.

Edited by fnbplanet

OMGosh Carrello...you kill me...ROFL!!!

I found it interesting that the rate was changed like a thief in the night. No media announcements (until after the fact); just...done.

Also neat was how there was NO Ch 7 removal and NO HCL , and NO Parliamentary/GOI permissions & debate needed, No Gazette articles, etc...

Just goes to show that all these benchmarks we set (CH 7, HCL, budget, etc...) means nothing compared to the fact t that it is truly Shabibi's call and he can do whatever he feels.

Sure this was only a 4 pip move...however it is the fact that it was done arbitrarily that's noteworthy.

• Upvote 6

I found it interesting that the rate was changed like a thief in the night. No media announcements (until after the fact); just...done.

Also neat was how there was NO Ch 7 removal and NO HCL , and NO Parliamentary/GOI permissions & debate needed, No Gazette articles, etc...

Just goes to show that all these benchmarks we set (CH 7, HCL, budget, etc...) means nothing compared to the fact t that it is truly Shabibi's call and he can do whatever he feels.

Sure this was only a 4 pip move...however it is the fact that it was done arbitrarily that's noteworthy.

Andy,

So true. We need to remember this from now on and not worry about passing this, fixing that. If it's going to RV, it will just be done. IMO of course.

GO NINERS!!! Happy Saturday,

Kimberlye B)

• Upvote 3

I remember last year from January thru February...the budget was all the rage.

"How can they pass a budget without an RV" "How can they run a country with a worthless currency" "The budget will be the trigger for the RV" etc, etc, etc......

I remember it vividly because I was caught up in the frenzy myself and believed the hype. Well...as we saw in Feb. '11...they did in fact pass a budget with a worthless currency.

Benchmarks, laws, dates...they mean nothing as this 4 pip move demonstrated. The revaluation (if they decide to do one) will happen when the good Doctor feel like it.

I quit watching. I'll check XE on the phone a couple times a week. Read a few posts on DV. Nothing more than that. No point really.

I cannot force Dr. S to do anything. And reading and analyzing and hypothesizing isn't going to make a potential RV happen any faster either.

• Upvote 7

"How can they pass a budget without an RV" "How can they run a country with a worthless currency" "The budget will be the trigger for the RV" etc, etc, etc......

I remember it vividly because I was caught up in the frenzy myself and believed the hype. Well...as we saw in Feb. '11...they did in fact pass a budget with a worthless currency.

Benchmarks, laws, dates...they mean nothing as this 4 pip move demonstrated. The revaluation (if they decide to do one) will happen when the good Doctor feel like it.

I quit watching. I'll check XE on the phone a couple times a week. Read a few posts on DV. Nothing more than that. No point really.

I cannot force Dr. S to do anything. And reading and analyzing and hypothesizing isn't going to make a potential RV happen any faster either.

Finally someone with some common sense!!!!!

• Upvote 2

With that kind of talk you can't be on the welcoming committee. <_<

• Upvote 1

Welcome to the site. Pipelines are nothing new to this country. The whole country is criss crossed with oil and natural gas pipelines. Look in up. Remember the gas pipeline outside Frisco that blew up a while back and took out a neighborhood? None of them are safe. All of our infrastructure is suffering from deferred maintenance. Roads, bridges, levies, etc.

It's a matter of time until our lack of foresight and vision, and planning, catches up to us. New pipelines are not trouble free either. They will eventually suffer the same fate. There are no guarantees and I would not believe anyone's guarantee.

Carlos

Edited by carlos in san diego

Right on the money!

The thing is, those were things that WE thought would trigger the RV. But just what IS the straw that, well, you know.....

Shabbi and Saleh have talked about the inflation factor. Not that they're hangin' out waiting for it, but that they have the power to correct it. It's their job on the defensive side of RVing. They are charged with protecting the value of the currency. But what if it doesn't come? What triggers them on the offensive side? What events, if they were to happen. would cause them to look at each other and say at the same time - "NOW!"?

My guess is that it would have to be a series of accomplishments, such as HCL and a law on how to handle debtors, or Chapter 7 and the seating of the GOI, for example.

I think that they'll get a big surprise in the "inflation over 10%" area, but they will have those numbers far before we will, and then........BANG!