Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Copy and Paste Problems In Chat

Okay, I have found a solution and can now copy/paste in chat and copy the chat to notepad. However, this is not for the faint of heart

when it comes to computers so my warning is: attempt only if you feel confident about making the changes.

What actually happened is that they removed copy and paste as a security feature, but you can turn that feature back on.

There is a program in Java called policytool that sets permissions for applets.

In Linux you can type 'policytool' in the terminal. Then follow the instructions ** below.

See instructions below for Windows Systems.

I run windows so these are the instructions for making the change in Windows Vista -

If you are using Windows7, XP, or any of the other Windows OS - this should be similar.

Click on the Windows globe (start) - go to "computer",

open OS (C:),

double click on Program Files,

double click on Java,

double click on folder "jre6"

double click on folder "bin"

scroll down to file "policytool"

double click on "policytool"

another window will open (black - command prompt screen) immediately another window will open on top

Now you can follow the remaining instructions)

**When the program is open click on add policy, then click add permission. And for Permission choose AWTPermission from the list,

and then Target Name should be accessClipboard. Then click OK, then Done.

After you click done there will be a window left open, click on the far left top "File" and it will say "save" or "save as" click on save and

type in the instructions ,when you get to your name make sure it's the name you put in your computer when you first fired it up and filled

in your information.

The file should be named .java.policy (beginning with a dot) but should be saved in a different place

depending on what system you have.

Windows 7 and Vista: C:\Users\(your name)\.java.policy

Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\(your name)\.java.policy

Linux: /home/(your name)/.java.policy

Once that's done you need to restart your browser, and you should be able to copy and paste from the chat to other programs and back.

If when you restart your browser the chat no longer works and you get an error, try restarting your computer. If it still won't run,

delete that file you just created and restart, and it should be back to normal.

This worked for me with the latest version of Java so there is no longer a reason to use the older version. Also, as long as this

policytool file is located in your "user" folder (not in the Java Program folder) you should not have to re-do this the next time

you upgrade to the latest/greatest Java version.

If you have problems or do not understand instructions, please post a question below and I will try to help.

Good luck - Texas Granny :hug:

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

"After you click done there will be a window left open, click on the far left top "File" and it will say "save" or "save as" click on save and

type in the instructions ,when you get to your name make sure it's the name you put in your computer when you first fired it up and filled

in your information.

The file should be named .java.policy (beginning with a dot) but should be saved in a different place

depending on what system you have.

Windows 7 and Vista: C:\Users\(your name)\.java.policy

Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\(your name)\.java.policy

Linux: /home/(your name)/.java.policy"

The instructions you are entering is the: name of the file [.java.policy]

The directory the file is to be saved in.

You will need to enter the name for the file ".java.policy"

You will need to save the file to a directory that is different from the Java Program directory.

The directory you save to depends on the OS on your computer, i.e. Windows7, Vista, XP

Remember to use the name that your computer was originally formatted when you first set it up.

I hope this helps, if not, give me a little info about the computer you are using and I will try again. :unsure:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

However, this is not for the faint of heart

Read more: http://dinarvets.com.../#ixzz1W5gykPtXHowever, this is not for the faint of heart

Read more: http://dinarvets.com.../#ixzz1W5gykPtXHowever, this is not for the faint of heart

Read more: http://dinarvets.com.../#ixzz1W5gykPtX

WHEW! Lucky!

I can already Copy n' Paste!

XP

Note: The links get pasted in automatically.

Edited by estewart
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

TexasGranny,

I just bought a new computer with windows 7. I can't copy and paste on this site. I did what you said but I couldn't get past step three. I don't have Java. Could that be the problem?

Thanks

If you don't have java, you can not enter the chat room. Copy and paste on the forum is not part of java. I also have Windows 7 on this laptop and have no trouble with copy/paste in the forum.

The instructions above are only for copy/paste in the chat room and have nothing to do with the rest of the forum. If you are having trouble in the forum, it is most likely something to do with your settings on your computer or your internet browser. You might try a search on google for copy/paste problems in Windows 7.

:cowboy2:

• Upvote 1

socaljeepnut - yes, if you are Platinum or just plain VIP, you can access the VIP Forum.   If you can get into some of it, you should be able to access all of it.   I've never heard of someone just being able to access a portion of the VIP forum.   

If you were VIP prior to upgrading to Platinum, then you'll have the same access that you had before.  Nothing should change other than now, you're a lifetime VIP member.  No additional VIP fees.   :)