Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Your Best Years ARE ahead of you!

Tiffany23

http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/04/05/study-the-best-years-of-our-lives-could-be-in-our-eighties/

It turns out that rather than reminisce about the "golden age" of youth, we should look forward to turning our grandparents' age to be happy.

There's much more to old age than fading sight, weakening muscles and declining short-term memory. A number of recent studies indicate that happiness is more easily attained after middle age.

A book by Lewis Wolpert, professor emeritus of biology at University College London, sheds some light on the topic. Called You Are Looking Very Well, it argues that people are just "averagely happy" in the first third of their lives and that even that level of contentment declines by midlife.

"But then, from the mid-40s, people tend to become ever more cheerful and optimistic, perhaps reaching a maximum in their late 70s or 80s," Wolpert told the Telegraph.

Several factors are at play, including maturity, diminished responsibilities and the ability to focus on the things that matter rather than chase elusive goals.

A study by the American National Academy of Sciences has found that the mental state of well-being that's associated with youth gradually abandons us as we live through adulthood, hitting rock bottom in our mid-40s. But later, things get better, and our mood probably peaks at the ripe age of 85.

Other research quoted by the Telegraph article seems to suggest that some mental faculties improve with age. Our vocabulary and decisionmaking skills increase, though we lose our math skills.

"Aging is a lot less scary than people are afraid it is," says George Vaillant, 74, curator of the largest longitudinal study on happiness. The study has tracked the lives of 268 young men since their Cambridge years in 1937 and still chugs on today. We sure hope he's right. (via the Telegraph)

That's the Good News. :)

The Bad News is that the Life Expectancy for Americans is only 77.9! :blink:

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/lifexpec.htm

• Upvote 3

girl your such a breath of fresh air. Just now starting to feel the effects of my younger years, working out regular helps ease the sprains broken ribs and so forth but as long as ican ride my cruiser and listen to some old gold on the way to the fishing spot, ill be one happy dude.

Now that i'm gettin up in years I think i'm more at peace with myself & the world,mainly cause all the dangburn meds i gotta take!! Feel like i'm in a haze all the time. Takin between 15-20 pills every mornin just to fool this ol shell of a body into thinkin it can do what it used to. And my mind,oh yeah sharp as a tack as long I don't forget what i'm talking about or open my mouth and just drool.These are both party favs here at the home, not the home your thinkin of, no this is the home where bingo is the highlight of the week and a pool party is when I take a bath.Memories,yeah i got tons when I can remember them. Same goes for loved ones,when they visit or if i can recognize them.Oh yeah these are the times..............................................uhhh what was the subject again?JK but remember this is what happens to many of our treasures,we relied on them,please don't forget or neglect them now.............................................. GO RV 2011 BABY!!!!!!!

I have another year till I'm 70. Take no pills (except a lot of vitamins and supplements) and in good health that I attribute to regular workouts and meditation. Done with young chicks trying to pick me up, and it has led to a much better relationship w/the OL. Don't have to worry about that from her 'cause she's nearly my age.

Retired, 3 pensions +SSA and rental income, all the kids are out of the house finally and we can walk around in our scivvies, if we want. A much more relaxed life. Life is much better than whatever is in second place.

Getting ready to buy a dually diesel P/U and a trailer and start the travelling. Figure to do that till 6 of my friends carry me by the handles. LOL.

Gents, I'm very interested in your postings. Besides studying portfolio theory and theology...I love to research what makes people happy. So don't you agree that the older you get, the more comfortable you get in your own skin...and the less you feel like you have to impress anyone...that's the sense I'm getting from tommyboy.

I remember one time when I went back to the gym after being out of it a couple years, I felt all flabby and that everyone was looking at me...thinking, what is SHE doing there. I confessed this to one of the instructors and he started laughing and said..Tiff, do you honestly think any one of them are looking at you and thinking that? What they are ACTUALLY thinking is, gosh, I wonder if that girl over there is looking at me? And if so, she must think I'm really over weight or that I don't have very big muscles.

That insight has always stayed with me...as a species we seem to be overly concerned with what people think of us...but they in turn are thinking the same thing about everyone else. So the way I figure, by your 80s, your no longer having to impress anyone, and you love the simple things in life (other than waking up each day), like the first taste of coffee, or the warm sun on your face. And like socrates said, live a good life, so that in your old age you can reminisce and live the high points of your life over and over again.

Am I right or am I right? :)

• Upvote 1

Tiff I don't know about everything you say. Men are still vain and tend to still look at younger women and feel self conscious about their looks. Not sure at what age that stops. I can tell you 1 thing I've learned. Getting old is not for sissies!

• Upvote 2

Tiff I don't know about everything you say. Men are still vain and tend to still look at younger women and feel self conscious about their looks. Not sure at what age that stops. I can tell you 1 thing I've learned. Getting old is not for sissies!

My Daddy used to tell me that a woman's as old as she looks, but a man isn't old till he stops looking. And yes, men do look at younger women a lot because they're pretty and please the eye. Even my wife does that.

• Upvote 1

My Daddy used to tell me that a woman's as old as she looks, but a man isn't old till he stops looking. And yes, men do look at younger women a lot because they're pretty and please the eye. Even my wife does that.

Well Tiff, here's my story. I've had an awesome life. I am loved by the One true and living God, Jehovah, and the beautiful wife that he gave me. I've made and lost a lot of money, been a lot of places and met a lot of awesome people. Raised a bunch of wonderful, productive kids, and have 9 beautiful grandchildren. Played competitive soccer for 22 years and loved every minute of it. I quit caring what other people thought when I began to understand, about 15 years ago, the uniqueness that God built into me, as He did into all of His children. And I have wonderful memories that I cherish. But..............when the economy crashed 3 years ago, I lost my business and most of my money. The next year my health began to break down. I can't retire, I work a lousy-paying job just to get by (after being prosperously self-employed for 20+ years), am in constant pain and can't afford health insurance.

Two things keep me going, smiling, full of hope, and looking forward to whatever tomorrow brings: 1) The love of my wife, and 2) The knowledge that if my journey was over, if my destiny had been achieved, my heavenly Father would have taken me home already. But I'm still here! And He still loves me! That means there's more for me to do, or to say, or to see, or to feel, or to experience. And no matter who thinks what about me, it means nothing. All I care about is that I squeeze everything out of this life that God has for me, and that I don't leave this world one minute too soon, (or too late for that matter). His Word is full of promises to them that believe, and I happen to be one who does.

So, again, God bless you in your youth, your confidence, your curiosity, your creative adventures and the pursuit of happiness and human achievement. And just think, if I were to make it to 85, you'd be about my current age! Interesting? My prayer for you is that in your ongoing discovery of life, that He will reveal to you the extent of His love for you, His plan, and your destiny. :)

• Upvote 1

We all die......... shinnidan..........even you.

That's one of the have to's in life.

Dude. who said i was gonna live forever? of course its any inevitable fate, so wots your point? to be honest, i don't think i even want to live that long, and be a burden on my kids...when i'm old, decrepit, & going senile where i can't take myself. not something to really look forward to in your old age. <_<

Dude. who said i was gonna live forever? of course its any inevitable fate, so wots your point? to be honest, i don't think i even want to live that long, and be a burden on my kids...when i'm old, decrepit, & going senile where i can't take myself. not something to really look forward to in your old age.

Being a burden to your kids. That is a statement I do not understand. I am well into my years and a couple of years ago I found myself in the emergency room and a 12 day stay in the hospital. I do not want to be a burden to anyone. In my stay those 12 days, no one did a thing for me that was no paid. Nurses, doctors, ambulance drivers, whoever. I was not a burden on anyone. You do not need to be, I enrolled in an old folks home until I could care for myself, (13 days) and I leaned on no one.

If it stops in my life! Don't ever tell me it happened. Vain is a correct statement to say the least. Looking at women never stops. I've done more damage recently in places like Lowe's, Home Depo, Walmart. You know, just running into stuff. It's easy to get away with though at my age, especially when the little wife is with you.biggrin.gifDo I need new glasses or maybe they're afraid I'll sue them for all the clutter in the isles.biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif.

• Upvote 1

Wow...quiet a range of responses. Thanks everyone for providing additional insights.

rj, your response was one of real interest, with a touch of saddness. The study deals with groupings of numbers, but does not provide specific insights. Your response does. I'm very sorry to hear than as you glide into later (but not late!) stages of your life, that it isn't as pleasant as earlier stages. And yet you still have faith and hope...those are VERY good things to hold on to...not to mention a life partner to travel down these roads of hardship together.

You do me honor Kind Sir for blessing me. Please know that I have taken your words inside and will think deeply on them, so that I may fully appreciate the things I have now and yet too often take for granted like good health, a loving family and good friends.

May the knowledge that you have "enlighten" someone in some small way soften the burden that life has placed upon you. I have no doubt that someday you will find peace of mind, heart and soul in the hands of your divine creator in which you put such loving faith in.

who`s bullcrappin who here. getting old really sucks. Everythings harder then what it use to be. (and i am not talking about whats between your legs ethier) When you wake up in the morning you say cool. I woke up. Yes you do appreciate every day cause you know it may be the last one. some young punk gives ya crap you gotta be honest with them. Kid 20 years ago i would have beat the crap out of you . But if you try to hurt me Im gonna shoot ya. hahaha . its hell being 30 years old

Edited by dog53