Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Vietnam: Dong strengthens on central bank moves

cbs71

Now, I know it was up for discussion as to whether or not the DONG was going to RV or not, but this is interesting to say the least:

VietFinanceNews.com – The Vietnamese dong rose in unofficial trade on Monday after the government urged the State Bank of Vietnam to take strong action to control the currency and the central bank granted additional gold importing quotas.

The dong rose to 21,270/21,350 a dollar at a major gold shop in Hanoi from 21,400/21,470 a week earlier. The unofficial ask rate dipped to a record 21,600 per dollar on December 1, before clawing back, state media reported.

Traders attributed the dong strengthening to the central bank’s recent granting of gold import quotas for banks and gold companies, which discouraged speculators from accumulating dollars to smuggle the precious metal into Vietnam.

“Those who had speculated in dollars had to sell because they can’t hold them for a long time, so prices fell,” a currency trader at a Vietnamese bank said.

The State Bank of Vietnam granted additional quotas for domestic companies to import gold between November 25 and the year’s end in a bid to cool domestic gold market prices, after giving eight banks and gold bar producers quotas in early November.

Currency speculation, which helped push the dong down in recent weeks, has eased over the past few days, the trader added.

Another trader with a different partly-private Vietnamese bank said the government’s recent forecasts and messages had also injected optimism into the foreign exchange market.

“I think the government’s forecasts have reduced speculators’ expectations of changes in the rates,” he said.

Vietnam may receive $7.3 billion of overseas remittances this year, an increase of $1.9 billion from 2009, central bank governor Nguyen Van Giau said.

He said foreign indirect investment this year will rise to $712 million from $500-600 million last year, state media reported.

The prime minister has asked the central bank to take “strong” steps to stabilise the foreign exchange and gold markets [iD:nSGE6B002M], while the Ministry of Industry and Trade also revised its trade deficit estimate for this year down to $12 billion from $13.5 billion.

Trade and budget deficits, high inflation, speculation and a general lack of confidence in the dong have resulted in a steady slide over the past three years, economists say.

Dollar transactions have been stable in the official market in the past week, with the dong rate quoted on Monday at the weak limit of the trading band.

This was still more than 8 percent weaker than the official trading band permits.

“Trading has risen very little from the previous weeks despite the fact that it is the end of the year now,” the trader said, adding the quiet market resulted from businesses’ reluctance to import goods or to expand operation at a time of inflation and the fall of the local currency. (Reuters)

http://bit.ly/dMZi7Q

• Upvote 1

Great post cbs71! I personally believe the Dong is one of the many currencys that will revalue simultaneously with the Dinar. My opinion it will rise to .05-.20 cents to the dollar. It would be very unwise to theme to not because when the dinar hits all eyes will be on investing in currencys and the Dong will get swallowed up by the world. They will be one of the most under valued currencys. wink.gif

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Great post cbs71! I personally believe the Dong is one of the many currencys that will revalue simultaneously with the Dinar. My opinion it will rise to .05-.20 cents to the dollar. It would be very unwise to theme to not because when the dinar hits all eyes will be on investing in currencys and the Dong will get swallowed up by the world. They will be one of the most under valued currencys. wink.gif

Very good point....hadnt thought of that, but it sure makes sense....glad i invested in it when i did

The official bank rate is 19,500 to the dollar. When the dollar strenghened recently, dollars became scarce and the dong dropped to about 22,500 on the black market. The reported rise is just a partial recovery.

Companies that bought dollars on the black market were warned that they had to use the official rate in their accounts and account for the loss separately or they would be in breach of the currency regulations.

Vietnam's foreign currency reserves are too low to support a revaluation. They have devalued 9 times in the last few years and another one is more likely.