Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Kurdish militants vow 'new resistance' against Iran following missile attacks

Pitcher

Iran Conducted Missile Attack on PDKI, KDP-Iran Inside Kurdistan: 

Iran Conducted Missile Attack on PDKI, KDP-Iran Inside Kurdistan: Report

ERBIL - Iran has conducted the missile offensive on the twin Kurdish opposition groups in the Kurdistan Region "only 15 kilometers away" from two parties' headquarters, a report said on Saturday evening.

The attack was conducted on the Kurdistan Democratic Party of Iran (PDKI) and Iranian Kurdistan Democratic Party (KDP-Iran) headquarters, bases, and refugee camps where the Kurdish Peshmerga forces' families live in the past decades on Saturday morning in which at least 15 people were killed, while 39 more wounded, among whom were leading members from both parties.

However, according to Ava Today news agency, citing "confidential sources outside Iraq", the missiles were fired by the Iranian Revolutionary Zelal 2 and Fajr artillery rocket launcher inside the Kurdistan Region.

The report further claimed that Iran either has a military base in the region to have carried out the attack or it had sent a special military vehicle to do so, and in both cases the security forces in Sulaimaniya province are responsible.

The report claimed that the pro-Iranian Shi'ite forces in Iraq had used their drones to coordinate with the Iranian forces in receiving geographic information before the military campaign.

Reuters had previously reported that Iranian had transferred ballistic missiles to Iraq, but the report was soon refuted by Tehran.

http://www.basnews.com/index.php/en/news/kurdistan/464526

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 6

13 minutes ago, Pitcher said:

Iran has conducted the missile offensive on the twin Kurdish opposition groups in the Kurdistan Region "only 15 kilometers away" from two parties' headquarters, a report said on Saturday evening.

Thank You for the Great Articles, Pitcher, AND The Best Of Your Weekend To You!!! :tiphat:

Looks like a desperate move here by the Insanians. May be a last ditch distraction for something else. If true that the Insanians are doing this, I can not imagine the UN allowing this. I suspect The United States Of America will be all over this while this may unify Kurdistan with the rest of Iraq so the newly forming Parliamentary may just get done what they need to get done like Article 140 and the HCL so everybody can put the hurt on the Insanians in Iraq. Israel likely has a watchful eye on all this to ensure things do not get out of hand and to ensure this is not some kind of diversionary tactic.

I suspect this is putting even more intense pressure on the blocks to get together and do what they need to do PRONTO before there is more blood in the streets. The Bicraqi Iraqi sabres are already rattling!!!

In The Mean Time........................................................

Go Moola Nova!

:pirateship:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 6

No doubt, it’s all about the oil.  Oil is money and money is power.  

The instability is orchestrated by Iran and their Iraqi Politicians.  Iraq should just pull the trigger on the RV, maybe it will help. 

It surely can’t make things any worse than it has been in Iraq the last 10-15 years. 

• Upvote 7

22 minutes ago, Donziman said:

Trouble in the north.trouble in the south. This doesn't look

like the Stability everyone is looking for to launch the RV. IF it

wasn't for the oil nobody would care about this God forsaken 

pile of rocks .

Donziman, agreed this doesn't look like the stability an right environment the CBI was talking but will disagree about your oil accesment.

If it wasn't for their DINAR I could care less about this God forsaken place. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, DoD said:

Donziman, agreed this doesn't look like the stability an right environment the CBI was talking but will disagree about your oil...

If it wasn't for their DINAR I could care less about this God forsaken place. 

You took the words out of my mouth DoD. If the Dinar ever increases in a substantial amount, I hope to never hear Iraq again. 😊

But, of course, we will since anything over there affects the U.S. one way or another. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Pitcher said:

You are all spot on.  RV the Dinar or the Dong or both and I’m out.  

In 18 months I’m moving to Hawaii.  Maybe if this thing pops I retire in fine style.  

If not I’m still going to be in good shape to hang ten🤙

Sounds nice, lived there for two years. 

• Upvote 2

• Iran accused of hijacking Basra protests after a week of violence that shook Iraq

• Rival Shiite factions trade blame for who drove the burning of buildings
  • Muqtada Al-Sadr in talks to try and defuse the crisis that has left 12 dead

BAGHDAD: Even for a week of violence and bloodshed the discovery of four bodies dumped in a street in central Basra on Saturday morning sent shockwaves through the city.

The four men were identified as followers of Muqtada Al-Sadr, the powerful Iraqi cleric who has masterminded an anti-Iranian coalition poised to take control the country’s parliament.

Two of the dead had participated in the protests that started as a new wave of demonstrations against woeful services and corruption in the province that provides most of Iraq’s oil.

But the demonstrations spiraled into a chaotic week of clashes that killed at least 12 people, left the Iranian consulate and other political buildings ablaze and Iraq facing its latest political and security crisis as the country struggles to regain its feet after the war with Daesh.

Security officials and prominent figures in Basra told Arab News that the protests have been hijacked to provide cover for political and armed conflict between the pro and anti Iranian rivals competing to control the next administration.

Security sources also accused Iran of attempting to sow chaos, disrupt oil exports and pave the way for an administration in Baghdad that supports Tehran. 

A second wave of US sanctions will come into effect in November targeting Iranian oil exports and dealing another blow to the country’s ailing economy. 

Shiite leaders and security officials suggest Tehran is attempting to encourage fighting between factions to destabilize Basra because the province could be the source of crude that would make up the shortfall on global markets left when Iranian exports are disrupted. 

“Our intelligence suggests that the aim is to drag the Shiite factions into fighting each other in Basra,” a senior national security official told Arab News.

“It is all about blocking oil exports, so they have to take Basra out of Baghdad’s control to reach that goal. There are no clear details so far but we have been connecting the lines.”

The discovery of the four bodies was reminiscent of the violence that erupted in the country after the 2003 US invasion. Except this time the conflict lines are not Sunni and Shiite, but between the Shiite factions that divide along the lines of pro and anti Iran. The pro-Iran groups were significantly bolstered during the Daesh occupation when thousands of fighters were mobilized to help the military halt the extremist’s advance.

Tehran poured in money and weapons leaving the groups as some of the country’s strongest military and political forces. Now they have become a key tool in the battle between the United States and Iran, which has played out in Iraq since the downfall of Saddam Hussein. 

Those Iran-backed groups contested the parliamentary election in May as part of the Al-Fattah alliance, which has been desperately trying to put together a coalition of MPs that would be able to form the next government.

But Al-Sadr, who is backed by the US, has been in the stronger position after his Sairoon alliance won the most seats.

Both coalitions claimed they had formed the largest bloc last week and asked to be registered at the first session of the parliament on Monday. The matter was sent to the supreme federal court to be settled.

In June, soon after the election, demonstrations started in Basra to protest against the lack of electricity and clean drinking water and a lack of jobs. They spread across southern Iraq and even reached Baghdad.

But they lost momentum and turned into small, scattered sit-ins. The situation suddenly erupted on Monday when hundreds of demonstrators, some using Molotov cocktails, tried to storm the local government building in Basra. Police responded with live bullets and tear gas, seriously injuring two. One of the injured died of his wounds hours later.

The next day, the situation became more serious when a demonstrator attacked a group of police with a grenade, killing one of the officers and injuring eight others. Other groups attacked troops stationed near the local government building and by the end of the day, nine demonstrators were shot dead and scores wounded, including many members of the security forces. A number of governmental buildings were also set on fire.  

On Thursday, troops deployed in Basra received orders not to clash with protesters as long as they remained away from oil facilities. This encouraged the demonstrators to attack and burn more than 20 buildings acting as headquarters to various political groups and their associated media stations.

The next day, the burning continued, and ended with the torching of the Iranian consulate building in south-eastern Basra.

The attack has been seen by many as anger finally boiling over at Iranian interference in their country.

Most of the heads of tribes, local activists and politicians called for people to withdraw from the demonstrations after they turned violent.

Many have referred to “masked” demonstrators leading the masses to carry out the attacks on the buildings without knowing their identity.

“As the demonstrations turned to be violent and infiltrators joined it, we ask all our sons to withdraw,” Sheikh Adil Al-Mayah, the head of Mayah tribe said. 

The different factions have traded blame over who has been driving the riots. Because of its crude production of more than 3.5 million barrels per day, destabilizing security in Basra is in the interests of many local and regional parties.

Several Shiite political leaders accused the followers of Al-Sadr, saying that the headquarters of his movement were not affected.

But witnesses told Arab News that the demonstrators had tried to burn the base for his movement’s armed wing, Sarraya Al-Salam, but were blocked by unarmed Sadrists who had  formed a human barrier.

“We know that they accuse us of carrying out these fires, even though they know that we stood up to the saboteurs and said that they should burn us first before burning the building,” Sa’ad Al-Maliki, a Sadrist leader in Basra told Arab News.

“They also say that no one dares to burn the Iranian consulate other than us, but the fact is that we are surprised by what is happening and wonder who has the nerve to burn the headquarters of some armed factions that people are usually scared just to mention by name.”

The headquarters of Badr organization and Assaib Ahl Al-Haq, the most prominent Shiite armed factions, were among those burned without any resistance. The same scenario was repeated with the Iranian consulate, which was stormed by the demonstrators and set on fire without a single bullet fired to defend it.

“The situation is complicated and many parties are involved in creating this mess,” a senior federal security official told Arab News. “We have some indications suggest that the burning of the Iranian consulate and many other headquarters are managed and served a specific purpose.”

Local and federal security officials contacted by Arab News said that the consulate building was empty and was completely evacuated on Thursday and even the private guards of the consulate were pulled out on Friday.  

A senior security official told Arab News that a Twitter account belonging to a well-known Iraqi close to Iran may have been directing the attackers.

There were more worrying developments on Saturday when Basra airport was targeted by rocket fire. No one was harmed and it was unclear who was responsible.

A curfew was imposed on Saturday afternoon to try and stem the violence. Troops deployed in Basra received orders to open fire on anyone who attacks security forces or government institutions. 

At the same time, Prime Minister Haider Al-Abadi, who is trying to secure a second term, replaced the police and security operations commanders in Basra. More troops arrived in Basra by Saturday evening.

Al-Sadr has resumed negotiations with the leaders of Al-Fattah “to find a compromise to defuse the crisis,” politicians familiar with the talks told Arab News.

http://www.arabnews.com/node/1369051/middle-east

• Thanks 3
  • Upvote 2

Chuck,  I’ve lived there for awhile 45 years ago.  Loved it.  Visited many times since.  I’m going back but will probably only stay a few years. I’m going to be living in a number of places in my retirement.  In other words I’m going to do whatever I want whenever I want. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Pitcher said:

Chuck,  I’ve lived there for awhile 45 years ago.  Loved it.  Visited many times since.  I’m going back but will probably only stay a few years. I’m going to be living in a number of places in my retirement.  In other words I’m going to do whatever I want whenever I want. 

You and I have a simular philosophy. Mine is I want to be able to do what I want to do when I want to do it.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pitcher said:

You are all spot on.  RV the Dinar or the Dong or both and I’m out.  

In 18 months I’m moving to Hawaii.  Maybe if this thing pops I retire in fine style.  

If not I’m still going to be in good shape to hang ten🤙

Well now Pitcher, be sure and leave us your address so your “friends” can visit.😌😊

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Iraq ‘disapproves’ of Iran’s bombing of Kurdistan, says ‘violated Iraqi sovereignty’

22 minutes ago

Iraq ‘disapproves’ of Iran’s bombing of Kurdistan, says ‘violated Iraqi sovereignty’
Iranian rockets targeting the Kurdish opposition groups’ headquarters in the Kurdistan Region, Sep. 8, 2018. (Photo: social media)

ERBIL (Kurdistan 24) – Iraq’s Foreign Ministry on Sunday labeled Iran’s bombardment of the Kurdistan Region’s town of Koya a violation of the country’s sovereignty.

“The Ministry affirms Iraq’s keenness for the security of its neighbors and its refusal to allow its territory to be used to threaten the security of those countries. It [Iraq], however, categorically rejects the violation of Iraqi sovereignty by bombing any target within Iraqi territory without prior coordination with the Iraqi authorities, to spare civilians of the effects of such operations,” Ahmed Mahjoub, spokesperson for the Iraqi Foreign Ministry said in a statement.

On Saturday morning, Iranian rockets targeted the headquarters of two Iranian Kurdish opposition groups, the Kurdistan Democratic Party – Iran (KDP-I) and the Democratic Party of the Iranian Kurdistan (PDKI), as well as an Iranian Kurdish refugee camp in the Kurdistan Region’s Koya town.

The bombardment killed 14 members from the two parties and injured 40 more, with two other members still missing, believed to be trapped under the rubble of destroyed buildings, the KDP-I said in a statement issued Saturday evening.

It is the largest attack on the KDP-I’s headquarters since 1996. The party split from the PDKI in 2006 following an internal dispute.

The two parties reignited a conflict with the Iranian government in June 2016, 20 years after laying down their weapons to prevent jeopardizing Kurdish gains made in northern Iraq.

Following Saturday’s bombardment, both the Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG) and Kurdistan Parliament condemned the Tehran-sanctioned attack and called on Iranian Kurdish groups to avoid using the Kurdistan Region’s soil to attack neighboring states.

Editing by Nadia Riva

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, trident said:

22 minutes ago

Iranian rockets targeting the Kurdish opposition groups’ headquarters in the Kurdistan Region, Sep. 8, 2018. (Photo: social media)

Did Iraq do away with its military? What did they do with all the billions of military equipment they bought? How do you let a rouge country shoot missiles into your country an bomb your cities an the only reaction is you "Disapprove" of it? The corruption in Iraq is worse than I ever thought it was....

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

IRAN’S ATTACK ON KURDS IS A MESSAGE TO WASHINGTON, RIYADH AND JERUSALEM

People stage a protest against the execution by Iran of up to 20 Kurds. (photo credit: REUTERS)People stage a protest against the execution by Iran of up to 20 Kurds. (photo credit: REUTERS)
Iran has been fighting Kurdish opposition for years and in Iran there have been increasing clashes.
The Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) in Iran claimed credit for a missile attack on Kurdish opposition groups in Koya in northern Iraq. The attack on Saturday killed a dozen and wounded numerous others. It was the first time Iranian forces had used this kind of precision missile attack deep inside Iraq. The brazen daylight missile attack is a message from Tehran to the region that it can do what it wants, not only in neighboring Iraq, but throughout the Middle East. In the last year Iranian missiles and Iranian-supported groups using Tehran’s technical advisors have targeted Saudi Arabia from Yemen and Israel from Syria. As Washington seeks to pressure Iran, the missile threat is clear indication that Tehran is flexing its muscles in the face of sanctions.

The IRGC attempted a decapitation strike against the Kurdish KDP-I, an opposition group that has a headquarters in Koya. Numerous senior leaders were present and a missile crashed into the building where they were meeting. This was a precise and unprecedented strike. Although Iran has targeted Kurdish groups in Iraq before, and it has fired missiles at other opposition groups, the missiles used in this attack were precise and showcases Iranian intelligence operations and know how.

The missile attack on Koya should not be seen as an isolated Iran regime attack on an opposition group. Iran has been fighting Kurdish opposition for years and in Iran there have been increasing clashes. But the missile strike was an escalation and should be seen in the context of the Iranian-backed Houthis using ballistic missiles to target Riyadh, flying some 900 km from their launch point. Iranian forces from Syria have also targeted and tested Israel’s defenses. They flew a drone into Israeli airspace in February and fired a salvo of missiles in May. Recent satellite images show missile production facilities in northern Syria. Reports also indicate that Iran has transferred missiles to the Hashd al-Shaabi, or Shia militias, in Iraq. And Iran has armed Hezbollah with missiles for years and also supplied Hamas with technical support

• Upvote 2

US Team Suspicious About Iran Claim on Koya Attack

US Team Suspicious About Iran Claim on Koya Attack

ERBIL - The results of an investigation launched by a US special team into Iran's missile attack on the two Kurdish opposition groups in Koya district near Erbil province, refuted the information claimed by Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) on the story, a source said.

Earlier on Sunday, the IRGC claimed that it had targeted the twin parties' headquarters "by seven surface-to-surface rockets on Saturday by the missile department of the Guards' aerospace force," in which at least 17 Peshmerga forces were killed while 40 more were wounded from both the Kurdistan Democratic Party of Iran (PDKI) and the Iranian Kurdistan Democratic Party (KDP-Iran).

According to the information obtained by BasNews from a reliable source, the US team has refuted the allegation of using this type of rockets, saying that if such missiles were used, they would’ve resulted in much more casualties and damages, and noting that such claims by Iran are to protect their relations with the Kurdistan Region especially since such collaborations are highly considered by Kurds as betrayal.

The team pointed out that the rockets were launched only 20 to 40 kilometers away from the targeted spot, the source added.

The source further revealed that the drones were controlled from Kirkuk, a city where the pro-Iranian Hashd al-Shaabi militias are dominant since October, last year.

http://www.basnews.com/index.php/en/news/kurdistan/464766

• Upvote 5

7 hours ago, Hotcurl said:

:bump:  ......  to the top on this news.

Must be desperate times for the "Insanians".  "1"

Semper Fi:salute:

RV  there yet ?:pirateship:

"1" -  Synopsis

You Go, Girl, HotCurl, AND The Best Of Your Upcoming Week To You!!! :tiphat:

Well, OK, I assume You are a Girl, HotCurl. If so........................................

:twothumbs:   :twothumbs:   :twothumbs:

If NOT...........................................

:blush:        :blush:       :blush:

Thank You for ALL Your valued comments, HotCurl!!! :D

In The Mean Time.............................................................................

Go Moola Nova (YEAH AND YEE HAW, BABY, READY WHEN YOU ARE BROTHER (OR SISTER) - LET 'ER BUCK!!!)!!!

:rodeo:   :pirateship:

• Haha 1

Kurdistan

Iranian missiles hit Kurdish opposition in ‘message to Trump’

An hour ago

Iranian missiles hit Kurdish opposition in ‘message to Trump’
A Peshmerga fighter at the scene of the attack in Koya, Saturday 9 September (Photo: Wladimir van Wilgenburg)

ERBIL (Kurdistan 24) – Senior Iranian Kurdish officials say ballistic rockets that targeted Iranian Kurdish opposition groups and killed 18 last Saturday is a message to the Trump administration.

An official of the Democratic Party of Iranian Kurdistan (PDKI) and several Peshmerga fighters on Sunday showed Kurdistan 24 the damage the rockets created, pointing to large craters in the ground in which a Peshmerga fighter could easily stand.

On Saturday morning, Iranian rockets targeted the headquarters of two Iranian Kurdish opposition groups, the Kurdistan Democratic Party – Iran (KDP-I) and the PDKI, as well as a refugee camp for Iranian Kurds in the Kurdistan Region’s Koya town. 

The attack reportedly killed 18 people, and injured another 49. So far, 15 were buried. 

Iranian Kurdish officials claimed the attack was an indirect message to Trump.

“It was Iran’s way of showing the world that they can do whatever they want in the region without fearing any consequences,” Loghman Ahmedi, a senior PDKI official, told Kurdistan 24.

“If the world does not have prompt and decisive answer to this brutal violation of international law, we will see Iran become even more aggressive than they are now,” he added.

One of the seven missiles launched directly hit the KDP-I’s building during a leaders meeting.

“Trump earlier warned about Iranian missiles, and now Iran is using them,” one official angrily stated, condemning international silence.

Hassan Jazaeer-Chi, a KDPI member, informed Kurdistan 24 that the US has a large base near Koya, some-45 minutes away from where the missiles struck.

The base was reportedly set up within the framework of the fight against the Islamic State (IS), near the Kirkuk province, where helicopters are often seen.

“The ground and the air [here in the Kurdistan Region] is supposedly under the US’ protection. There are large US centers here. The attack is a message to [Washington] that Iran can pose a threat to a region where the US has a presence, attacking their interests,” Jazaeer-Chi told Kurdistan 24. 

“The message could be for the US, for the KRG [Kurdistan Regional Government] or even for neighboring countries, as well as a serious message to Israel and Saudi Arabia. If they can attack here, then they can attack other places,” he added.

The KDP-I official claimed Iranian drones were used to gather intelligence. “Two Iranians drones were in the skies today, flying over the Haibat Sultan mountain, observing the funeral process. We were even expecting new strikes today,” he said.

“Ahead of the missile strike, drones flew over us, twice,” he added.

Alireza Nader, an Iran specialist based in Washington, agreed the attack was a display of power by Iran.

“This is the first time I can think of that the regime has used such missiles to target Kurdish groups in Iraq,” he said, adding that the missiles seem to have been relatively accurate. 

“These missiles can be used to target US and allied bases near Iran which the regime has threatened to attack for years. But I also think that the regime is deeply worried about instability in Kurdish inhabited areas of Iran as it faces major unrest throughout the country,” he said. 

“The missiles attacks and the execution of [three] Iranian Kurdish activists is a message to the regime’s internal and external enemies: don’t mess with us,” he concluded.

“This was a message to the US, Israel, and the coalition. Iran may not dare to confront the Western axis but it does and is able to strike Western allies on the ground. Devastatingly,” Ceng Sagnic, Coordinator of the Kurdish Studies Program at the Moshe Dayan Center in Israel, told Kurdistan 24.

One KDP-I official, Reza (56), claimed the US army visited the PDK-I after the attack to investigate the strike. “I don’t know if our party contacted them or not,” he said. However, another official said he was not aware of any official US visit. 

Chancellor of the Kurdistan Region’s Security Council (KRSC), Masrour Barzani, on Saturday discussed the Koya attack with senior coalition officials in Erbil.

Back in June, Mustafa Hijri, head of the Kurdistan Democratic Party of Iran (KDPI), and Abdullah Mohtadi, head of the Komala Party of Iranian Kurdistan, completed an extended visit to Washington. At the time, Arash Saleh, KDPI representative in Washington, told Kurdistan 24 that the Iranian Kurdish leaders had been very satisfied with their visit.

“The current policy of the US toward Iran, which is to put more pressure on the regime, is the right path,” they believe.

Saleh emphasized they were not asking for “US boots on the ground,” but “what we want is for the US to see and hear the Iranian people, who are asking for the overthrow of this regime.”

There were also reports that the US would give more support to Iranian Kurds, including through the newly appointed Iran expert, US Consul Steven Fagin. However, diplomatic sources say the appointment was a coincidence.

“They say we have support from Saudi Arabia, Israel, or the US, but we don’t have support from anyone,” PDKI official Ahmedi said.

Those on the ground said they hope for more support from US President Donald Trump in the aftermath of Iran’s missile attack. Earlier this summer, Saleh had argued Kurds could “strongly contribute to the new approach of the US in containing Iran.”

“We would like to have support, but we haven’t seen any from anyone,” Ahmedi lamented.

Editing by Nadia Riva

• Upvote 2

Kurdistan

Iran executes two Peshmerga shortly after wounding them in battle

Iran executes two Peshmerga shortly after wounding them in battle
Naser Azizi and Ahad Shabab were PDKI Peshmerga from the city of Mahabad in Kurdistan Province. (Photo: Hengaw)

ERBIL (Kurdistan 24) – An Iranian Kurdish (Rojhilati) party on Sunday claimed the regime’s forces had executed two of their Peshmerga fighters, announcing it a day after Iran launched missile strikes on the headquarters of opposition groups deep within the Kurdistan Region.

Early Saturday, Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) ambushed Peshmerga fighters on Kileh Shin Mountain, near a village of the same name in the Kurdistan Province’s Saqqez County. 

During the ensuing battle, six members of the Peshmerga were killed and two were wounded. Iranian forces allegedly captured the wounded fighters and subsequently executed them, Kurdish rights group Hengaw reported.

“Naser Azizi and Ahad Shabab had been wounded in an ambush and subsequently taken as prisoners of war,” read a statement released by the Democratic Party of Iranian Kurdistan (PDKI) on Sunday. 

The two “were executed by the IRGC, which is a flagrant violation of the Geneva Conventions,” the statement argued. 

Shortly after the ambush and 124 kilometers westward, Iranian missiles landed in strongholds of the PDKI and Kurdistan Democratic Party - Iran (KDP-I) in the Kurdistan Region’s town of Koya, reportedly killing 18 and wounding 49.

The largest of its kind since 1996 on the two groups—then a single party—the attack was carried out using seven short-range surface-to-surface missiles, according to Iranian media.

Iran executed three Kurdish prisoners on Saturday as well, drawing condemnation from rights group.

Editing by Nadia Riva

• Upvote 2

Masrour Barzani discusses Iranian attack on Koya with US-led Coalition

13 hours ago

Masrour Barzani discusses Iranian attack on Koya with US-led Coalition
Chancellor of the Kurdistan Region Security Council recieved a delegation from the US-led Kurdistan Training Coordination Center (KTCC) in Erbil, Kurdistan Region on Sept. 9, 2018. (Photo: KRSC)

ERBIL (Kurdistan 24) – The Chancellor of the Kurdistan Region Security Council (KRSC) affirmed that Kirkuk is occupied and the current situation in the city is not acceptable, as he stressed the necessity of resolving the problems in that city within the framework of the Iraqi Constitution

On Sunday, Masrour Barzani, KRSC Chancellor, received Col. Gregory Anderson, the Director of the Coalition’s Kurdistan Training Coordination Center (KTCC), and his accompanying delegation in Erbil, said a statement from the KRSC.

Barzani expressed his concern over the bombardment of the headquarters of the Iranian Kurdish opposition parties in Koya. He expressed his condolences to the families of the fallen and wished a speedy recovery for those who had been wounded, the statement explained.The two men also discussed other political, security, and military developments in the region.

Both sides emphasized the importance of enhancing coordination between the forces of the Peshmerga and the Coalition more broadly.

According to the KRSC statement, the meeting highlighted the reorganization of the Peshmerga forces, as well as increasing their training, while it affirmed that strengthening the Peshmerga forces would lead to stability in the region.

The meeting also included a discussion of the security situation in areas beyond the Kurdistan Region’s administration, particularly the situation in Kirkuk.

Barzani expressed his concern over the deterioration of security there, saying that the reasons for that need to be eliminated.

“For us, Kirkuk is occupied and the events [happening there] are not acceptable,” the KRSC statement said. “It is necessary that the situation of Kirkuk be resolved within the articles of the Constitution,” the statement added.

Furthermore, both sides discussed the relationship between the Kurdistan Region and the US, stressing the need to affirm and strengthen the strategic ties between the two sides.

The meeting also shed light on the increasing activities of terrorist groups, warning that if serious steps were not taken to resolve the problems, terrorist groups may reappear in different names or forms and destabilize the situation, the KRSC statement concluded.

Editing by Laurie Mylroie http://www.kurdistan24.net

• Upvote 2