Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

When is Eid Al-Adha and how is it celebrated? -

Pitcher

When is Eid Al-Adha and how is it celebrated?

Muslims around the world are preparing to celebrate Eid al-Adha, one of the two most important festivals in the Muslim calendar, the Week UK reports. 
The five-day holiday, also known as the Feast of the Sacrifice, or Greater Eid, is distinct from Eid-al-Fitr, which marks the end of Ramadan.
Centred on prayer and animal sacrifice, Eid al-Adha symbolises Ibrahim’s willingness tosacrifice his son as a sign of devotion to Allah.
How many Eids are there?
Two. Eid-al-Fitr, also known as Lesser Eid, marks the end of Ramadan, when Muslims break their month-long fast. The date of Eid-al-Fitr is determined by the confirmed sighting of the new moon. This year, the festival was celebrated on 15 June.
What does Eid al-Adha celebrate?
Islamic scripture tells how Allah commanded Ibrahim – known as Abraham to Christians and Jews – to sacrifice his son as a test of his devotion. Despite his love for the boy, Ibrahim duly prepared to carry out Allah’s command. However, at the last moment, Allah tells Ibrahim to spare the child and sacrifice something else instead. In remembrance of Ibrahim’s willingness to submit himself to the divine will, Muslim families traditionally sacrifice an animal during Eid al-Adha.
Non-Muslims will probably recognise the story from the Bible, where it appears in a similar form. Interestingly, Muslim scholars generally identify the son in question as Ishmael, Abraham’s son by his concubine Hagar, whereas in the Jewish and Christian tradition it is Isaac, Abraham’s son with his wife Sarah.
Another difference is that, in the Islamic version of the tale, Ibrahim tells Ishmael about Allah’s command, whereas the Biblical Abraham did not reveal his intentions to Isaac. As the Koran tells it, Ishmael readily accepts his fate and urges his father to comply with Allah’s will. Therefore, Eid al-Adha is a commemoration of both father and son for their example of obedience and submission to the divine will.
When is Greater Eid this year?
The date of Eid al-Adha also varies in accordance with the Islamic lunar calendar, falling on the tenth day of Dhu al-Hijjah, the 12th month. The exact beginning of the festival varies depending on location, but in the UK, Eid al-Adha begins on Tuesday 21 August and ends on Saturday 25 August.
How is Greater Eid celebrated?
In Muslim countries, Eid al-Adha is a public holiday that involves animal sacrifice, known as Qurbani, prayers and family gatherings. The day begins with morning prayers, followed by visits to family and friends and the exchange of food and gifts. Muslims traditionally greet each other on the day by wishing one another “Eid mubarak” (Blessed Eid) or one of many regional variations on the blessing.
Worshippers who can afford to will slaughter an animal, typically a sheep or a goat, during Greater Eid celebrations as a symbol of Ibrahim’s sacrifice to Allah. This year more wealthier Muslims are choosing to make a biggersacrifice by slaughtering a camel, according to Reuters. All animals have to meet certain standards in order to qualify for sacrifice. They cannot be ill, blind, visibly lame and emaciated and minimum age restrictions apply.
“For Muslims, Qurbani is the most importantsacrifice of the whole year,” said Moulana Yunus Dudhwala, from the UK’s Halal Monitoring Committee. “Abattoirs and butchers must remain vigilant and responsible in ensuring all laws pertaining to Qurbani are adhered to, so that this important spiritual day is not ruined by intentional or unintentional wrongdoing.”
It is common for animals to be sacrificed on the streets in many Muslim countries. 
In Pakistan alone, nearly ten million animals are slaughtered on Eid, the International Business Times reports. In Britain, anyone wishing tosacrifice a sheep has to make arrangements for it to be slaughtered humanely.
Believers are expected to share their food with the less fortunate. Traditionally, the meat is divided into three equal parts: one for the home; one for family, friends and neighbours; and one for the poor. Muslims are also expected to make donations to charity to mark the festival.
The eye-catching centrepiece of the festival, however, is the sight of around two million worshippers dressed in white gathering at Mecca for a five-day pilgrimage called Hajj.
What does the Hajj involve?
The Hajj is the pilgrimage to Mecca, Islam’s holiest site, and is an integral part of the Muslim faith. According to the Koran, all Muslims who can afford to should make the journey to Saudi Arabia at least once in their lifetime. Every year, at least two million will make the pilgrimage, circle the huge black Kaaba shrine - built by Ibrahim, according to Islamic tradition - and pray to Allah. The prophet Muhammad said that a person who performs Hajj properly “will return as a newly born baby [free of all sins]”.
Pilgrims usually fly to Jeddah and then travel by bus to Mecca, where there are two rituals to perform: the lesser pilgrimage, or Umrah, and the main pilgrimage, or Hajj. Pilgrims are expected to wear special white clothes - also called ihram - and to carry out several days of rituals where they pray, repent for past sins and take part in a symbolic “stoning of the devil”.
The sheer number of believers able to carry out their religious duty thanks to modern transporation has made the 21st century Hajj a spectacular sight, but also a nightmare for Saudi authorities trying to keep upwards of two million pilgrims safe. In 2015, more than 2,000 people were crushed to death in a bottleneck of densely packed crowds, the deadliest incident in Hajj history. Since the tragedy, the Saudi government has deployed extra security forces and installed thousands of CCTV cameras to monitor the crowds.

• Thanks 4
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

Yesterday, I read the article above:  "When is Eid Al-Adha and how is it celebrated?"  I thought to myself, well I really hate animal sacrifice, but a lot of religions have rituals and customs that are so different from mine.  That's what makes the world go 'round, I guess.  

This morning, I got a text (below) from a friend who has no interest in dinar, but is very interested in politics.  He saw it on Facebook.  Now, I'm horrified!  I don't even know what to think or say about this:

18052-MMS-1534837624862-attachment1-Screenshot_20180821-034630_Facebook.thumb.jpg.2119983ccd7d3d5da69b9bd5d15624f7.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, Floridian said:

Yesterday, I read the article above:  "When is Eid Al-Adha and how is it celebrated?"  I thought to myself, well I really hate animal sacrifice, but a lot of religions have rituals and customs that are so different from mine.  That's what makes the world go 'round, I guess.  

This morning, I got a text (below) from a friend who has no interest in dinar, but is very interested in politics.  He saw it on Facebook.  Now, I'm horrified!  I don't even know what to think or say about this:

18052-MMS-1534837624862-attachment1-Screenshot_20180821-034630_Facebook.thumb.jpg.2119983ccd7d3d5da69b9bd5d15624f7.jpg

😡😡🤬🤬 Don’t know how to respond...at a loss for words (except for the ones that would probably get me banned from this site). This is Bullsh-t!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Pitcher said:

Wow 

At least they are not killing people

Where is the Animal Rights crowd

The Food Bank or Macdonald’s truck is probably outside with the cow from Chick Filet. 

Theyll get back to killing each other and us soon enough.

P (people) E (eating) T (tasty) A (animals).

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Officiallytook said:

When is the RI/RV and how is it celebrated???

:bump:

:nothingtoadd:

That too, probably w/animal sacrifice. Apparently it’s pretty hip over there and anywhere you find Fun Seekers with goats/sheep and such

I imagine the online orders for “ animal apparel “ slows down after this,  until the stock can be replenished. 

• Upvote 1

800 vets to oversee slaughter of over 1m animals

1291321-1691260057.jpg?itok=toMw4gzK

Rahimi Ahmed Rahimi told Arab News that there will be more than 530 doctors from Sudan, Egypt and Jordan, in addition to more than 270 Saudi and resident doctors, in addition to undergraduate students from Saudi veterinary colleges.
According to Rahimi, the project’s veterinarians will be entrusted to perform six main tasks: “Sorting the cattle in barns and exclusion of animals that are non-compliant with legitimate conditions, exclusion and painting out of ill cattle, ensuring the safety of slaughter medically and legitimately, performing medical examination of the sacrifices, the insulation of improper sacrifices, and cleaning the sacrifices in case of increased workload.”
The project used 225 veterinarians from Sudan, who make up 43 percent of doctors from abroad, and 170 Egyptian doctors, who make up 33 percent. Jordan has 125 veterinarians who make up 24 percent of numbers.
The project also uses 270 Saudi and resident veterinarians from inside the Kingdom and about 90 students who are expected to graduate from local veterinary colleges. He said that after the arrival of animals to the project’s butcher houses, the veterinarian teams would inspect them before and after slaughtering to ensure they fully complied with veterinary conditions.
“A team from the Saudi Food and Drug Authority (SFDA), consisting of eight doctors, is also there for monitoring the process,” he said.
Doctors wishing to cooperate with the project must be at least 21 years old and not over 50. “They should also have a readable passport which is valid for more than six months and be medically fit, Rahimi said.
He said that applicants should have a five years of experience in the veterinary field. They must also submit a copy of their bachelor’s degree in veterinary science along with an up-to-date criminal status.
In addition, the veterinarian should have the “veterinary” profession in his passport and should be present in his country to provide his vital footprint at the approved visa center. “Finally, the candidate should attach his Veterinary Union membership card in his country,” he said.
“The project is responsible for securing entry visas for the veterinarians from outside the Kingdom, paying all the required fees, and securing the means of transportation from the doctor’s country to Makkah. The doctor can also visit Madinah and can be provided with suitable accommodation,” he said.
Rahimi also said there has been an increase in activity of 1,400 percent since the start of Saudi Arabia’s Project for Utilization of Hajj Meat (Adahi) 35 years ago.
Rahimi said that the number of both (hadi) and (Adhiya), Hajj animal sacrifice, carried out by the Adahi Project, which was established in 1983, amounted to 63,000 sheep, while the number in the 2017 Hajj season was 927,480 sheep. Rahimi said the rate of increase is an important indicator of the project’s success and the confidence of pilgrims from all over the world, in addition to the confidence of missions of pilgrims at embassies and consulates in Saudi Arabia, as shown by the statistics.
The Saudi government has entrusted the Islamic Development Bank with managing the project since its establishment.
According to Rahimi, the project is based on a fatwa issued by the Ifta House.

It was approved by the Council of Ministers of Saudi Arabia to authorize mandating the project exclusively to perform this Nusuk on behalf of pilgrims as it is subject to the government’s supervision, which ensures the proper application according to Sharia instructions and to meet health requirements.
The meat is distributed to beneficiaries in more than 25 countries around the world.
These include Arab countries such as Jordan, Palestine, Syria and Iraq as well as countries in Africa and Asia such as Mali, Ghana, Senegal, Bangladesh and Azerbaijan.
About 40,000 people are working with the project as butchers, veterinarians, Sharia supervisors, supporting labor, transportation, food supply, medical care and administration. Sheep are slaughtered, dressed, cut, packed and frozen in just 48 hours.
In 2017, the project announced the launch of the “Electronic Path” managed by the Saudi Ministry of Hajj, which allows Umrah visitors and pilgrims to use the services provided by Adahi.
This year, the project has expanded its offices, use of technology and communication with companies around the world.
Beneficiaries of the electrical path system can buy rites coupons online through the website www.adahi.org using a credit card, via money transfer or by accessing the Saudi Ministry of Hajj’s website.
Coupons are also available with collaborating entities such as Al-Rajhi, Mobily, Hadyat Al-Hajj Wal Moatamer Secure Services Company, as well as with Saudi Posts’ outlets throughout the Kingdom.
The project aims to expand its services in the future to serve any person around the world at any time who wishes to make a charitable sacrifice or rite.

• Upvote 3

• 4 weeks later...