Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Documents: Iraq proposed to extend a pipeline to Kuwait

Pitcher

“I once rescued a friend from drowning when he was swept away by the force of the current as we were swimming in the Diyala river,” says Qasim Sabti, a painter and gallery owner in Baghdad. 

“That was 50 years ago,” he recalls. “I went back there recently and the water in the Diyala is so shallow today that a man could walk across it with his dog.” 

The rivers of Iraq, above all the Tigris and Euphrates, are drying up. The country is becoming more arid, and desertification is eating into the limited amount of agricultural land. 

Dams built upriver in TurkeySyria and Iran since the 1970s have reduced the flow of water that reaches Iraq by as much as half and the situation is about to get worse. 

mosul-9.jpg

“On 1 July, Turkey will start filling the Ilisu dam on the Tigris and this will cause another decline in the inflows to our country of about 50 per cent,” Hassan Janabi, minister of water resources, told The Independent.

He says that Iraq used to get 30 billion cubic metres of water a year from the Euphrates, but now “we are happy if we get 16 billion cubic metres”. 

As Iraq begins to recover from 40 years of wars and emergences, its existence is being threatened by the rapidly falling water levels in the two great rivers on which its people depenIt was on their banks that the first cities were established cities 8,000 years ago and where the flood stories of Gilgamesh and the Bible were first told.

Such floods are now a thing of the past – the last was in 1988 – and each year the amount of water taken by Iraq’s neighbours has been rising.  

iraq-rivers-2-0.jpg Rivers that have supported civilisations for thousands of years are being choked off (Getty/iStock)

This pattern started in the 1970s when Turkey and Syria built dams on the Euphrates for hydroelectric power and vast irrigation works. It is the latter which choke off the water supply to Iraq.

The same thing happened a little later to the Tigris, whose major tributaries are being dammed by Iran.

Iraqi protests have been ineffectual because Saddam Hussein and successor government in Baghdad were preoccupied by wars and crises that appeared more important at the time.  

hasankeyf-1.jpg

By now it is getting too late to reverse the disastrous impact on Iraq of this massive loss of water.

“This summer is going to be tough,” says Mr Janabi, a water resources engineer by training who was in charge of restoring the marshes in southern Iraq after 2003.

Some smaller rivers like the Karun and Kark that used to flow out of Iran into Iraq, have simply disappeared after the Iranians diverted them. He says: “We used to get five billion cubic metres annually from the Karkhah, and now we get zero.” 

Iraq was once self-sufficient in food, but now imports 70 per cent of its needs. Locally grown watermelons and tomatoes are for sale beside the road or in the markets, but most of what Iraqis eat comes from Iran or Turkey or is purchased by the government on the world market.

This amount is set to increase this year because the filling of the Ilisu dam in Turkey is forcing the Iraqi government to restrict the growing of rice and wheat by farmers in order to conserve water used for irrigation. 

This man-made drought is only the latest blow to hit Iraqi farmers.

Imad Naja, a returned colonel in the Iraqi air force, inherited his small family farm near Awad al-Hussein village outside Taji, north of Baghdad, 15 years ago where he at first grew wheat and other crops as well as taking up bee-keeping and fish farming. He produced half a ton of honey a year and dug a fish pond close to his house. 

iraq-rivers-3.jpg The Tigris river in Baghdad (Getty/iStock)

“I feel sad that I put so much work into my farm and look at it now,” he says, explaining that three-quarters of his land is no longer cultivated because it cannot be irrigated. He grows alfalfa for sale as animal feed in the remainder but his beehives lie discarded in one corner of his garden and there are no fish in the pond.

He says: “I get some water from a well that we drilled ourselves, but it is salty.”

He makes more money from hiring out a football pitch he has built behind a high-wire fence than he does from agriculture. 

Iraq has a complex network of irrigation channels built over the last century to carry water from the Tigris and Euphrates.

One such channel, named 43, runs close to Mr Naja’s house and, on the day we visited, was full of muddy water that comes from the Tigris. Mr Naja says this may look good, but he is only getting the water for two days each fortnight, which is not enough to cultivate all his land.

“I could manage if I got water for seven days out of 14 but not less,” he says.

As with everything else in Iraq, security or the lack of it plays a central role in the villages around Taji. This is a Sunni area which used to be a stronghold of al-Qaeda in Iraq and later of Isis. Mr Naja had been the local leader of al-Sahwah, the paramilitary Sunni movements allied to the US against al-Qaeda a dozen years ago. As Isis advanced south after capturing Mosul in 2014, Taji was heavily fought over, with checkpoints blocking the roads and making travel dangerous.

Mr Naja looks relaxed about his own security, but he has moved his wife and five sons and daughters to Irbil in Iraqi Kurdistan, not only for their safety but because he wants his children to go to good schools not available locally.

A problem is that Irbil used to be two hours’ drive from Taji, but clashes between Kurdish and government forces last year cut the main road and Mr Naja has to make a long diversion so the trip now takes six hours. Nevertheless, he is planning to restock his fish pond. 

Can anything be done by Iraq to cope with Iraq’s chronic shortage of water? The government does not have enough political leverage in Turkey and Iran to get a greater share of the water which previously flowed into Iraq. Mr Janabi shows a report on how to successfully manage water in Iraq over the next 20 years. It is a hefty volume, but he said that it is merely the introduction to a complete study of the water crisis that weighs 35 kilos. This apparently explains how Iraq’s water problems could be alleviated, though at a cost of $184bn (£140bn) that the government does not have.  

Iraqis are all too aware that the failing supply of water is changing the very appearance of their country. Mr Sabti has just opened an art exhibition in Baghdad in which 90 landscape paintings by Iraqi artists show pastoral views of rivers, lakes, marshes, palm groves, crops and vegetation. “We need to preserve the memory of these places before the Tigris and Euphrates dry up,” he explains. “Some of them will disappear next year because there will be no water.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/iraq-water-rivers-shortage-drought-baghdad-war-isis-a8426766.html

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 3

Iraq's treasured amber rice crop devastated by drought

BY HAIDAR INDHAR (AFP)     2 HOURS AGO IN ENVIRONMENT

Standing on his farm in southern Iraq, Amjad al-Kazaali gazed sorrowfully over fields where rice has been sown for centuries -- but which now lie bare for lack of water.

For the first time, this season Kazaali has not planted the treasured amber rice local to Diwaniyah province.

Facing an unusually harsh drought, the agriculture ministry last month suspended the cultivation of rice, corn and other cereals, which need large quantities of water.

The decision has slashed the income of amber rice farmers, who usually earn between 300,000 and 500,000 dinars ($240 to $400) a year per dunum (quarter-hectare, 0.6 acres).

With a black-and-white chequered keffiyeh scarf wrapped around his head, 46-year-old Kazaali was distraught at the absence of green shoots on his 50 hectares.

"Our eyes can't get used to the yellowish colour of the earth, it's too hard to look at my fields without my amber (rice)," he said, on his farm in the village of Abu Teben, in the west of Diwaniyah province.

The long-grained variety takes its name from its aroma, which is similar to that of amber resin.

An Iraqi man uses a shovel on dry field in an area affected by drought in the Mishkhab region  centr...
An Iraqi man uses a shovel on dry field in an area affected by drought in the Mishkhab region, central Iraq, some 25 kilometres from Najaf, on July 2, 2018
Haidar HAMDANI, AFP

More than 70 percent of the amber crop is grown in Diwaniyah and neighbouring Najaf province, and in total, the variety makes up over a third of the 100,000 tons of rice grown in Iraq every year.

Fondly dubbed "royal rice" by Iraqis, many Shiite pilgrims travelling between the holy cities of Karbala and Najaf stop to stock up on the popular grain.

Exports are banned, although some of the rice is smuggled through the Iraqi city of Basra to the Gulf.

- Scent of the Euphrates -

Of the thousands of rice producers in Diwaniyah province, just 267 are dedicated to the centuries-long tradition of growing the amber variety.

"As my parents and my grandparents have done for hundreds of years, since the Ottoman Empire, I've been used to touching the grains of amber with my feet during planting and taking them in my hands during the harvest," said Kazaali.

"It's the water of the Euphrates River which gives it the fresh scent that we can smell for kilometres."

But Iraq has seen its water resources dwindle in recent years -- a problem soon to be compounded by the inauguration of Turkey's controversial Ilisu dam on the Tigris River.

Planting was due to take place between May 15 and July 1, with the harvest set for late October.

Iraq's agriculture ministry had planned for 350,000 hectares of crops this season, including staples such as rice and corn, spokesman Hamid al-Naef said.

But after the ministry for water resources warned it would not be possible to irrigate these key crops, the forecast was slashed to 150,000 hectares, mainly set aside for less water-intensive vegetables and palms.

"The ministry has therefore asked farmers not to cultivate rice, yellow or white corn, cotton, sesame, sunflower," Naef said.

An Iraqi man checks a dry field in an area affected by drought in the Mishkhab region  central Iraq ...
An Iraqi man checks a dry field in an area affected by drought in the Mishkhab region, central Iraq, some 25 kilometres from Najaf, on July 2, 2018
Haidar HAMDANI, AFP

In Diwaniyah, the agriculture ministry's provincial director, Safaa al-Janabi, said the changes represent a total loss of 50 billion dinars ($42 million, 36 million euros).

Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi has said the government will compensate farmers, particularly rice producers. But Kazaali feared that promise would not be kept.

"We could be forced to leave agriculture and the region," he said.

"Some farmers have tried to carry on regardless and plant their rice anyway, but the ministry for water resources has removed their pumps, which has destroyed their crop."

Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/news/world/iraq-s-treasured-amber-rice-crop-devastated-by-drought/article/526201#ixzz5KCOsZTmk

• Thanks 1

I guess they’ll have to buy rice to make up the difference. Be good idea to RV so they could BUY that commodity-but they’ll plead and beg crying “ Crisis “. . . Then the humanitarian thing kicks in-they’ll steal half of it and sell it at some outrageous profit on the Black Market- then demand more rice and the cycle begins again. Meanwhile, people starve.

• Upvote 3

Catastrophic drought threatens Iraq as major dams in surrounding countries cut off water to its great rivers

Iraq after Isis: After decades of war – including the last battle against Isis – Iraq is in danger of losing the waters of the Tigris and Euphrates. In the first part of a new series, Patrick Cockburn reports that as Turkey, Syria and Iran dam its rivers, parts of the country are turning into desert  (this is the headline on the above link posted by Pitcher)

OH COME ON!!!!  Just when we think Iraq is finally free to move forwad and finally do the RV, this happens!  Going off point for a moment, Michell Whitedove is known as "America's psychic" (I guess she's done TV shows where she earned that title).  A month or 2 ago she was asked about the Iraqi dinar and she said she didn't see people getting rich from it.  I'm not usually one to rely on psychics, but there is something to them, although even the best psychics only get it right 80% of the time at best......  But geeze louise!!!  if Turkey, Syria and Iran cut of Iraq's water, that'g gotta be catastrophic for Iraq and maybe it will never get to RV.  Boy am I gonna big sick if this psychic turns out to be right about this.  Still, I'm not giving up so I'm gonna keep hopin' and a prayin'!

Thanks for sharing this Pitcher.  Though it's bad news, I'd rather know about it sooner than later.

GOOOOOO RV!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

KristiD,

I went to see a psychic a few months back.  I had a few questions that I needed answers to and been trying to solve for several months.  I have only gone twice in over 30 + years.  (She is very reliable and very accurate).  I showed her a picture of the dinar and asked her if she could please provide information for me.  She said you will have a “windfall” and to exchange when equal to our dollar and not wait for it to raise higher. . . . she said I did not have the patience anymore because I’ve been waiting for 6 years.  She smiled and said buy your house “outside of this state” and do not finance it, pay with cash...... And to stop worrying about your kids future, that’s what wills are for.

P.S. the other two questions I asked have already come to light.  

And Mr. Unlikely’s post showing that a revaluation actually already occurred is enough for me.  I’m not going to be “rich” but I will be comfortable and frugal with “my windfall”.  

There is a reason we are all still here, it’s called faith and belief.

Gods morning to y’all and enjoy Independence Day ❣️

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4

20 hours ago, ScaryMary said:

KristiD,

I went to see a psychic a few months back.  I had a few questions that I needed answers to and been trying to solve for several months.  I have only gone twice in over 30 + years.  (She is very reliable and very accurate).  I showed her a picture of the dinar and asked her if she could please provide information for me.  She said you will have a “windfall” and to exchange when equal to our dollar and not wait for it to raise higher. . . . she said I did not have the patience anymore because I’ve been waiting for 6 years.  She smiled and said buy your house “outside of this state” and do not finance it, pay with cash...... And to stop worrying about your kids future, that’s what wills are for.

P.S. the other two questions I asked have already come to light.  

And Mr. Unlikely’s post showing that a revaluation actually already occurred is enough for me.  I’m not going to be “rich” but I will be comfortable and frugal with “my windfall”.  

There is a reason we are all still here, it’s called faith and belief.

Gods morning to y’all and enjoy Independence Day ❣️

LOVE IT!!!!  Thanks for saying this.  Kim Clement, a well respected prophet, has said that the RV will happen too.  I didn't lose hope when I heard what Whitedove said, but I was rattled just a bit.  Like I said, even the best psychics are wrong 1 in 5 times, so I've been counting on this to be one of those times for Whitedover.  I will wait until it happens or the money becomes worthless, but optimism sure helps make the wait easier.  I got in in 2011, so I'm going into my 8th year.  But that's nothing compared to those who got in around 2004.

GOOOOOO RV!

• Like 1

• yota691 changed the title to Iraq starts buying water from countries in the region

8847.jpg

money and business

Economy News _ Baghdad

The Ministry of Transport, on Wednesday, the government's intention to buy water through the vessels of the basin of neighboring countries to satisfy the thirsty residents of Basra province, the junction of the Tigris and Euphrates, in the latest indication of the magnitude of the worsening crisis in Iraq called the country of the two rivers.

A statement issued by the ministry said that "under the direction of the Prime Minister, the pelvic vehicles of the Ministry of Transport will go to Basra to provide fresh water and distribute it free of charge to the residential districts throughout Basra. holy".

"The vessels assigned to bring water to the ports of the region have been assigned to do the same task quickly."

He pointed out that "the companies affiliated to the Ministry of Transport, will be equipped with residential areas fixed pools fill with fresh water, from time to time, and periodically in the basins of the ministry."

Views 1   Date Added 07/11/2018

8839.jpg

Reports

Economy News _ Baghdad

The Central Bureau of Statistics announced on Wednesday that the annual revenues of the Tigris and Euphrates rivers amounted to more than 40 billion cubic meters in 2017.

"The annual revenues of the Tigris and Euphrates rivers amounted to 40.53 billion cubic meters in 2017," the agency said in a report, read by Al-Iktissad News. "These revenues were lower than the previous year of 54.75 billion cubic meters."

He added that "the annual revenues of the Tigris River amounted to 13.81 billion m3, while the annual revenues of the tributaries 13.56 billion m3," noting that "the total of these quantities in the Tigris River and its tributaries amounted to 27.37 billion m 3 and by 67.5%."

He pointed out that "the annual revenues of the Euphrates River amounted to 13.16 billion m 3, and by 32.5%."

Turkey has built 14 dams on the Euphrates River and its tributaries within its territory and 8 dams on the Tigris River and its tributaries. Turkey needs several years to fill the artificial lakes behind these dams. Syria has built five dams, three of which were built in the mid-1960s. In these releases, which are often few except in the flood season.

Views 14   Date Added 11/07/2018

Release date: 2018/7/11 9:28 • 893 times read
Iraq starts buying water from countries in the region
[Ayna-Baghdad] The 
Ministry of Transport, the government's intention to buy water through the vessels of the basin of neighboring countries to satisfy the thirsty people of Basra province, the junction of the Tigris and Euphrates, in the latest indication of the magnitude of the worsening crisis in Iraq called the country of the two rivers.
"Under the direction of the Prime Minister, the Iraqi Ministry of Transport's vehicles will go to Basra to provide fresh water and distribute it free of charge to the residential districts throughout Basra, and will be joined by the tanks belonging to the naval command to perform this duty," a ministry statement said. Holy National. " 
"The vessels assigned to bring water to the ports of the region have been assigned to do the same task quickly." 
He pointed out that "the companies affiliated to the Ministry of Transport, will be equipped with residential areas fixed pools fill with fresh water, from time to time, and periodically in the basins of the ministry." 
The Council of Ministers, issued yesterday several urgent decisions to address the water shortage in the province of Basra, namely:
1- The formation of a government delegation headed by the Minister of Oil and the membership of the Ministers of Construction, Housing, Municipalities, Public Works, Electricity, Water Resources, Transport, the Advisor of the Prime Minister and the General Secretariat of the Council of Ministers and the crisis cell will go to Basra urgently and deal with the problems facing the governorate. 
2 - Increasing the wheels of the tank conveying water for the net distribution of water to the citizens. 
3 - Link the Basrah water project in Al-Haritha with the current pipelines and study the possibility of pumping water during the experimental operation and provided by the project consultant. 
4 - The executive body of the water project in Basra in coordination with the British side for the purpose of allocating the amount required for the consulting company. 
5 - Increase the releases in the channel of innovation and prevent abuses. 
The Ministry of Water Resources has also announced the dispatch of water discharges to Basrah to address its water scarcity and salinity will arrive within a week.

Regional experiences provide solutions to economic problems

17/7/2018 12:00 am 

In light of development trends 

Baghdad / Al-Sabah 
Regional and international experiences have been the source of solutions to the country's economic problems, although some of these problems can be hastened to avoid their effects with the least allocations as the country has the tools to treat them. 

"The drastic drop in water levels of the Tigris and Euphrates rivers will have significant negative effects on agricultural production and low agricultural productivity, resulting in significant unemployment in the agricultural sector and mass exodus to large cities," said Abdul Aziz al-Khudairy. 
Livelihoods , 
he added , if we assume that 35 percent of Iraq 's population work in agriculture and horticulture sector, the water scarcity in Iraq will lead to large unemployment accompanied by a mass exodus from the countryside to the city, and can not predict the minute this migration preparing, which can reach millions of peasants who choosers them To stay in their current positions of disruption of livelihoods in the field of agriculture that they are familiar with. Accurate studies

Al-Khudairi called on ministries of planning, agriculture and irrigation to conduct accurate studies and take all the possibilities into account in order to find solutions to the issue of migration and demographic change, which will negatively affect a number of joints. It creates great pressure on services in Iraqi cities and unemployment of all kinds and social, security and political problems. The housing crisis in large cities, and the need for the required services from schools, hospitals and other public facilities in all cities of Iraq. "And 
Baidu that many cities and bronzes and villages began to move out of these agricultural sites towards the cities Rh in search of jobs and a decent standard of living adequate. Economic policies

"The investment in irrigation and water supply for agriculture should be given precedence in the coming budgets. The provision of agricultural mechanization, seeds, fertilizers and pest control materials is one of the most important duties of the Ministry of Agriculture, as well as the development of economic and administrative policies to receive agricultural crops, On scheduled dates ". Large cities between the "management of the economy of water and methods of modern agriculture must be one of the most important priorities of the ministries of agriculture and irrigation, and can benefit from regional experiences in several countries such as Jordan and Saudi Arabia and others to provide water for agriculture in places of Ataatovr where no rivers," How can big cities like Kuwait, Riyadh, Jeddah, Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Oman and other water supply to its citizens or residents and prepare them in millions without having collapsed around or near these modern cities? . Desalination project

He then said: "The start of desalination of water in the Arabian Gulf is one of the main solutions to the problem of drinking water shortage in the southern provinces and the Ministry of Oil to accelerate the completion of the desalination project, which has been long talked about for years, which will lead to a significant rise in the rates of extraction of crude oil in Basra and architecture Nasiriyah, that such a large project can provide safe water to drink in the provinces through which this  large project 

• Upvote 3

Release date: 2018/7/17 13:03  639 times read
NASA warns of life-threatening disaster on Earth
{International: Euphrates News} NASA has warned the world of a life-threatening disaster on Earth.
"The continued depletion and depletion of groundwater and surface water on the planet is the real threat to existence," she said in a study published by the agency in May. 
"The scarcity of water has become a major challenge facing this century," NASA said. 
"Around five billion people live in areas threatened by drought and water depletion, including the people of the Middle East," the study said
  • Upvote 1

Government Media Cell: Chairman of the Ministerial Committee and the Minister of Oil announce the proximity of the installation of new water purification units and directly pumping large quantities of drinking water

17/7/2018 1:48 PM 

The head of the ministerial committee responsible for improving the service situation in Basra province announced the intensification of contacts with specialized companies to process urgent orders for stations to clean up and provide safe drinking water, including mobile and commercial stations, as well as receiving a number of offers to implement urgent service projects for the people of the province.

The chairman of the ministerial committee in charge of oil minister Jabbar al-Luaibi said that through his meetings and intensive contacts he is working to encourage specialized international companies to accelerate the contracting with the concerned parties away from bureaucracy, routine, instructions, corruption, bargains, conflicts, political intersections and narrow interests that have hindered many of the service projects that are urgent for the people of the governorate. Stressing the need to leave the methods and mechanisms sterile and backward, and put the interest of the homeland and the citizen above all considerations.

Al-Luaibi said that a number of specialized companies have expressed their readiness to set up mobile and mobile water treatment plants in the province of Basra in a record period not exceeding two months, during which they will provide large amounts of potable water, stressing that all this will be presented to the Council of Ministers to make the necessary decisions. In order to accelerate the implementation of these vital projects and necessary during the short period to come.

The head of the ministerial committee that one of the Kuwaiti companies have initiated the pumping of large quantities of drinking water per day to the province of Basra until the installation of new water purification units in a number of districts and districts and villages of the province of Basra, praising the initiative of brothers in the promotion of bilateral relations.

Al Luaibi concluded that the committee is working on addressing the necessary and urgent needs to maintain through realistic solutions that are among the priorities that aim at upgrading the services provided to the people of the governorate.

http://www.cabinet.iq/ArticleShow.aspx?ID=8407

• Upvote 1

E4776090-6403-4228-B47E-365838D88825-620

Documents: Iraq proposed to extend a pipeline to Kuwait

In a local  July 20, 2018 on documents: Iraq proposed to extend a pipeline to Kuwait closed  69 visits

BAGHDAD (SNG) - Activists on social networking sites have circulated old documents showing that in the 1950s, Iraq had proposed supplying Kuwait with safe drinking water .

The old documents circulated by activists recently on social networking sites reveal that in 1956, Iraq proposed the extension of a sweet water pipeline from Basra to Kuwait, while Basra suffers today from the scarcity of drinking water after rising salinity and asks Kuwait to supply it.

This comes in spite of the suffering of many cities in the south of Iraq, including Basra water scarcity and dry rivers, which threatens millions of acres of crops and palm trees to death and thousands of livestock to be destroyed, where some see that the issue of water scarcity due to several reasons, including the establishment of Turkey and Iran for dams and projects, The launch of Iraq's quota of water, as well as excesses of water quota by the neighboring provinces.

It is noteworthy that the crisis of water scarcity Tigris and Euphrates exacerbated during the summer of this year because of the problem of pollution and the high rate of salinity, which peaks in the province of Basra.

D2D146BE-1571-463A-8758-3A50322D9AF1.jpe 354EBFDD-0F1E-4BA4-A24F-E2F8EC3C3188.jpe

• yota691 changed the title to Documents: Iraq proposed to extend a pipeline to Kuwait