Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Angelina Jolie in Mosul One Year After Liberation From ISIS

Pitcher

Angelina Jolie visited West Mosul on Saturday, during the Muslim holiday of Eid al-Fitr, which marks the end of Ramadan. Her visit to what was recently a war-torn city comes nearly a year after Mosul was liberated from three years of ISIS control.

Jolie — a special envoy for UNHCR, the United Nations Refugee Agency — called on the international community to help rebuild and stabilize the Iraqi city, where she said many people still have no running water, medicine or assistance to rebuild their homes.

“This is the worst devastation I’ve seen in all my years with UNHCR,” Jolie said in a video shared by the organization. “These people have lost everything, and the trauma and the loss that they’ve suffered is unparalleled. They’re here on their own with very little support — next to nothing. And they’re rebuilding themselves with their bare hands. They’re moving the rubble with their bare hands.”

There are bodies in this rubble that stay here, and you can smell the bodies, and some of them have family members that are here, and they’re unable to move them. And there is unexploded ordinance,” Jolie said. “And yet they are so happy because the last Eid, they were under occupation and suffering. And this Eid, they have nothing, but they’re free.”

• Thanks 3
  • Upvote 3

None taken. Jolie, imo truly cares about poor people.  She has been helping them for years and has actually put true bucks behind her efforts.  I’m not a big fan of her movies but I give props if deserved.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 6

10 years, you are so right.  The UN, and the leaders of Iraq are worthless.  They are leaders to exploit and enrich themselves and their cronies.  Sounds like our swamp too.  

I wish you you all could see how the people of Houston and surrounding cities and states came to help us during Hurricane Harvey.  Our devastation  and damage was unbelievable but we got through it and are making things better.  Thanks to all who came to our rescue.

• Thanks 4
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Pitcher said:

10 years, you are so right.  The UN, and the leaders of Iraq are worthless.  They are leaders to exploit and enrich themselves and their cronies.  Sounds like our swamp too.  

I wish you you all could see how the people of Houston and surrounding cities and states came to help us during Hurricane Harvey.  Our devastation  and damage was unbelievable but we got through it and are making things better.  Thanks to all who came to our rescue.

Over there Life is dirt cheap . . . Agreed Pitcher with your above statement. Correct me if I'm wrong, didn't assistance both in $$$$ and emergency aid personnel come from all over the US. Americans to the rescue both at home and abroad. It's What We Does. :twothumbs:

• Upvote 2

True, 10 years.  Assistance came from all over the US.  I was raised in Houston and have been here over 65 years.  I’ve seen numerous storms and weather events but I’ve never seen 56 inches of rain in basically 2.5 days.  No city could have absorbed that amount of rain without the massive flooding we saw.  Incredible!!  

We were grateful for the outpouring of $$$ and hard labor from folks all over this great country.  I met 20 young Amish men from Pennsylvania who came to volunteer their building skills and muscle,  Those guys were awesome.  Also met numerous church groups and kids giving up their spring breaks to help families get back into their homes.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Angelina Jolie visits Mosul and expresses her shock at the extent of the devastation

fit

2018-06-16 16:02:31 0 comments

The Special Envoy of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), Angelina Jolie, paid a visit to western Mosul, less than a year after the liberation of the city in June and July 2017. The trip marked the 60th anniversary of Julie's visit to the United Nations refugee agency since 2001. I arrived in the city on the second day of Eid al-Fitr, a Muslim holiday on the occasion of the end of Ramadan.

Jolie wandered among buildings bombed in the narrow streets of the old city and met displaced families to discuss efforts to rebuild the city and the needs of the returning population. West of Mosul was held by a preacher for three years. The battle to regain control of the city was the largest and longest urban battle since World War II, and the debris that Dresden recalls.

Civilians were subjected to aerial bombardment, artillery fire, cross-fire, snipers and unexploded ordnance. Hundreds of thousands of people were subjected to conditions similar to the siege, which were used as human shields or targets as they fled the city. Large areas of western Mosul were flattened.

Many residents are now slowly returning, to scenes of total destruction. Like residents of other pre-existing strongholds, they suffered unprecedented levels of trauma. UNHCR assists many returning families with programs that include cash assistance to rebuild their homes, legal representation of family members who have been arbitrarily detained for misidentification, and assistance in obtaining basic legal documents confiscated, destroyed or denied during the occupation.

"This is the worst destruction I have seen in all my years with the UNHCR," said Special Envoy Angelina Jolie, speaking in front of the rubble of the Nouri Mosque.

http://albaghdadiyagroup.com/news/akhbar-iraq/2nglena-gole-tzor-mdent-almosl-otabr-an-sdmtha-mn-hgm-alkhrab

• Upvote 1

Video .. Angelina Jolie sends a message to the international community from the rubble of Mosul

angi-450x300.jpg

NINEWA, Iraq (AP) - UN special envoy to the United Nations refugee agency Angelina Jolie said during a visit to the Iraqi city of Mosul that "this is the worst destruction I have seen during her years with the United Nations."

"People here have lost everything, and their homes have been demolished. They are deprived, they do not have medicine for their children, and many of them do not have running water or basic services. "

"They are surrounded by bodies under the rubble.After the trauma of the unimaginable occupation, are now trying to rebuild their homes, often with little or no help. "

Jolie called on the international community not to forget Mosul, saying: "As an international community, we often tend to assume that when the fighting ends, the work is done, but the conditions I have observed here in western Mosul are appalling. Displacement continues, and the camps near the city are still full. "

"Enabling people to return and stabilize the city is essential for the stability of Iraq and the region in the future."

It is noteworthy that this visit is the 61st mission of Julie, and her fifth visit to Iraq, since I worked with the United Nations in 2001. End (1)

https://www.iraqpressagency.com/?p=276443

• Upvote 1

LINK

Jolie donates $ 2 million to old Mosul victims

16th June, 2018    VIDEO ON THE LINK

US actress Angelina Jolie, the goodwill ambassador, donated $ 2 million from her personal account to victims of the northern Iraqi city of Mosul on Saturday.

"The American actress arrived Saturday afternoon to the right side of the city of Mosul to provide assistance to the victims of the terrorist who was occupying the city in the period," the statement said. From 2014 until the beginning of 2017."  "Angelina Jolie donated $ 2 million from her personal account to the victims of the old city of Mosul." Jolie wandered among the buildings bombed in the narrow streets of the old city and met displaced families to discuss efforts to rebuild the city and the needs of returning residents. Who blew him up.

"People have lost everything here, their homes have been destroyed, they are destitute, they have no medicine for their children, many have no running water or basic services, they are still surrounded," the statement quoted Jolie as saying. With bodies in the rubble, after the unimaginable trauma of the occupation, are now trying to rebuild their homes, often with little or no help. "  "Despite the grief and shock of the people, they are also optimistic. They are removing their homes with their hands, volunteering and helping each other, but they need our help."

"As an international community, we often tend to assume that when the fighting is over, the work is done, but the conditions I have observed here in western Mosul are appalling, the displacement is still happening, the camps near the city are still full, entire areas of western Mosul are still flat, Of the return and stability of the city is essential for the stability of Iraq and the region in the future. "
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1

excellent that people are moved with compassion , terrorism is absolutely horrible innocence suffer , sure hope maliki the person in charge of iraq's military when the terror group entered the country can be move by the same compassion and return just some of the millions he gained while PM to relieve the suffering for the country ..... cheers dv 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1