Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Fox and Friends Meeting of 2 Dictators

North Korean officials didn’t show up for a planned meeting with U.S. counterparts to discuss returning the remains of American war dead, South Korean mediareported, in the latest sign of tensions between the two sides.

U.S. negotiators arrived Thursday at the militarized border between the two Koreas as previously announced by U.S. Secretary of StateMike Pompeo and were kept waiting, the Yonhap News Agency reported, citing diplomatic officials it didn’t identify. The meeting was expected to be the first working-level talks between the two sides since Pompeo’s visit to Pyongyang ended Saturday with North Korea denouncing the U.S.’s “unilateral and gangster-like demand for denuclearization.”

A spokesman for U.S. Forces Korea referred questions Thursday to the Department of Defense in Washington. The Pentagon didn’t respond to repeated requests for comment Wednesday. Pompeo had said when announcing the talks that the meeting could “move by one day or two.”

While the details are unclear, a failure to meet on the issue wouldn’t bode well for broader negotiations about North Korea’s nuclear program. The discussions about returning Americans soldiers killed almost 70 years ago was perhaps the most tangible outcome from Pompeo’s trip, which analysts expected would at least secure the release of some remains.

The Department of Defense estimates that North Korea is holding about 200 sets of remains from some 5,300 American military personnel believed missing in the country. Their recovery has long been among the most emotionally charged issues between the two sides. Caskets that the U.S. shipped to the border last month haven’t been filled, despiteKim Jong Un’s pledge during his June 12 summit with PresidentDonald Trump to immediately repatriate identified remains.

While recovering the war dead would provide Trump a political victory similar to Kim’s May release of three American detainees, it would do little to advance the goal of dismantling the regime’s weapons program. The U.S. also risks giving the North Koreans leverage to continue diplomacy and drag out disarmament talks.

Read more: North Korea Reminds Trump Its Nuclear Weapons Won’t Come Cheap

North Korea’s criticism of talks with Pompeo fueled further doubts about whether Trump will ever achieve his goal of “complete denuclearization,” much less on the timeline of one to 2-1/2 years set out by various administration officials. Although Pompeo called the meetings “productive,” North Korea said the lack of emphasis on security guarantees was “regretful.”

The war dead talks were expected to be led by military officials, not the diplomats who are handling nuclear negotiations. North Korea said Saturday it was seeking the “earliest start of the working-level talks” on the recovery of U.S. remains.

Trump has expressed an eagerness to tout the recovery of the war dead, telling Fox News that Kim was “giving us back the remains of probably 7,500 soldiers.” He also told supporters in Nevada that North Korea had already handed over 200 sets of remains. Pompeo was obliged to correct those claims, telling a U.S. Senate committee June 27 that no exchanges have been made.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/north-koreans-no-show-u-082609309.html

Looks like Rocket Man played the Con Man like a fiddle... Kim gets on the world stage and is given street creds and we get...…..

B/A

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

4 minutes ago, bostonangler said:

Looks like Rocket Man played the Con Man like a fiddle... Kim gets on the world stage and is given street creds and we get...…..

B/A

You know how Donald likes to show up late for his international meetings so that he maintains his center-of-attention status......It's like that.  Kim wants to make sure everybody is watching before he does anything.  It's a narcissistic trait.  As always, just my opinion.

GO RV, then BV

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Pitcher said:

Pretty pathetic giving out red rubies from a month ago.  You need to get a life

Agreed, Pitcher.....A plus from me

And that comes from a Member ( myself) who got negged  with more than 500 negs in the last 3 months for EVERYTHING ( not only Politics-based, I mean) I posted on every topic

Haters will be haters...Which is sad ( and stupid)

Edited by umbertino
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don’t understand the reds.  Just debate the issue and try to get along the best you can. Disagreements doesn’t have to be all out war.  

I tell my kids all the time don’t fill your heart with hate, because more hate will come back at you.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4

Just now, Pitcher said:

It happened to me and you. Stupid. I have no problem with you, BA, or Umbertino.  I disagree with some of your posts but I never give out reds. That’s lazy and cowardly.  

Yeah....I just saw that.  It's happened to me many times....usually over a weekend.  Sometimes the neg giver will go back months into my posts to find new ones to neg.  Pretty sad when somebody has to travel that far back in time to find a post he/she hasn't negged yet.  

GO RV, then BV

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

Real sad.  I have a pretty good idea who it is but I’m not going to report it.  If that’s what that person needs to feel good about themselves then ok, whatever.  I have more important things to worry about, like this freaking stock market. I’m doing well but I’m earning ever buck.  

Have a good day all, even you, neggerator.  Back to work.  

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Pitcher said:

I don’t understand the reds.  Just debate the issue and try to get along the best you can. Disagreements doesn’t have to be all out war.  

I tell my kids all the time don’t fill your heart with hate, because more hate will come back at you.

Awesome and beautiful ..Especially when you pass that on to your kids....Great lesson which will make them great and tolerant Individuals ( that's a quality imho....)

Trump publishes letter from North Korean leader

7/12/2018 11:10:00 AM100 Number of readings

201272018_201272018_kemm.jpg

Khandan -

US President Donald Trump on his Twitter page posted a letter from North Korean leader Kim Jong-un. 

Trump described the letter as "very nice" and talked about significant progress in the course of correcting relations between the two countries. 

Kim said in his message that the joint efforts between Yang and Washington will contribute to opening a new chapter in the future of relations between the two countries, adding that he looks forward to another positive meeting with Trump. 

But Kim did not mention any action by his country toward nuclear disarmament. There has been no sign that North Korea has taken concrete action in this regard since the landmark summit of Trump and Kim in Singapore on June 12. 

In his letter, Kim praised Trump for "your unremitting and extraordinary efforts ... to improve the relations between the two countries and the sincere implementation of the joint statement."

• Upvote 1

Trump now says no 'time limit' to denuclearize North Korea

Washington (AFP) - President Donald Trump said Tuesday there is no hurry to denuclearize North Korea under his accord with Kim Jong Un -- a shift in tone from when the US leader said the process would start very soon.

"Discussions are ongoing and they're going very, very well," Trump told reporters.

"We have no time limit. We have no speed limit."

Trump said he discussed North Korea with Russian President Vladimir Putin on Monday at their summit in Helsinki.

"President Putin is going to be involved in the sense that he is with us," Trump said.

The Republican president met with Kim on June 12 for an unprecedented summit in Singapore during which the North Korean leader pledged to work toward denuclearization of the peninsula.

But the accord did not spell out a timetable for the process or say how it would be carried out. Diplomats are now expected to hammer out the details.

More than a month later, no concrete progress has been reported and North Korea has complained the Americans are making unilateral demands.

Before the Singapore summit, the Trump administration said denuclearization should start "without delay," and after the meeting, it spoke of the process beginning "very quickly."

A day after the meeting, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said the bulk of North Korea's denuclearization should be completed by the end of Trump's term in 2020.

The White House has hailed the summit between Kim and Trump in Singapore as a major breakthrough toward disarming the isolated, nuclear-armed North in exchange for easing of sanctions and other help with economic development.

Pompeo met with Kim's key aide this month during his latest trip to Pyongyang but as soon as he left, the North's foreign ministry berated him over his "unilateral and gangster-like" demands.

Trump last week signaled optimism however, unveiling a letter from Kim in which the young leader hailed the "start of a meaningful journey" and tweeting "Great progress being made!"

In the year 2525.....

B/A

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

North Korea hasn't met its promise to return US war remains

WASHINGTON (AP) — More than a month after North Korea pledged to immediately return some American war dead, the promise is unfulfilled.

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, who traveled to Pyongyang this month to press the North Koreans further, said Wednesday the return could begin "in the next couple of weeks." But it could take months or years to positively identify the bones as those of specific American servicemen.

In a joint statement at their Singapore summit, President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un committed to recovering the remains of prisoners of war and those missing in action decades after the Korean War — "including the immediate repatriation of those already identified."

That was more than a month ago, on June 12. Although Trump said eight days later that the repatriation had happened, it had not. It still has not. So, it was not "immediate," though the Stars and Stripes newspaper reported from South Korea on Tuesday that the North has agreed to transfer as many as 55 sets of remains next week. The Pentagon and the State Department declined to comment on any specifics promised by the North.

"We're making progress along the border to get the return of remains, a very important issue for those families," Pompeo said Wednesday at the White House. "I think in the next couple of weeks we'll have the first remains returned, that's the commitment, so progress certainly being made there."

Likely also to prove untrue is the part of the Trump-Kim statement that said the North had war remains "already identified." It apparently has bones and perhaps associated personal effects, but history shows that any remains handed over by the North are likely to be difficult to identify. In recent days the State Department has changed that phrase to "already collected," suggesting it realized the remains have not been identified.

"There are no missing Americans who have been 'already identified' by the DPRK (North Korea) to be repatriated," says Paul Cole, who has researched POW-MIA issues from the Korean War for decades and served for four years as a scientific fellow at the Pentagon's Central Identification Laboratory in Hawaii. He said this element of the Singapore statement "reflects a near total ignorance of the role of science" in accounting for war dead.

There is even some doubt that any remains turned over would be of Americans. Trump admitted as much in a CBS News interview July 14.

"You know, remains are complicated," he said. "Some of the remains, they don't even know if they are remains."

That's a big step back from his false assertion June 20 in Duluth, Minnesota: "We got back our great fallen heroes, the remains sent back today, already 200 got sent back."

Richard Downes, whose father, Air Force Lt. Hal Downes, is among the Korean War missing, says hopes may have been raised too quickly.

"Yes, the Singapore statement overpromised," he said, "exacerbated by our hope that it was accurate."

Hope has long sustained Downes and thousands of other Americans who seek closure after decades of uncertainty about a relative missing from the war. The Pentagon says 7,699 U.S. servicemen are missing from Korea, including about 5,300 believed to be in the North. Downes, 70, was 3½ when his father's B-26 Invader went down on Jan. 13, 1952, northeast of Pyongyang, the North Korean capital. His family was left to wonder about his fate. Downes is now executive director of the Coalition of Families of Korean and Cold War POW/MIAs, which advocates for remains recovery.

The Singapore statement may yet prove to be an important breakthrough. Bringing its promise to fruition, however, is proving harder than Trump made it seem.

As Mark Fitzpatrick of the International Institute for Strategic Studies put it in a web essay last week, "What was supposed to be the easiest item on the United States-North Korea negotiations agenda — the return of Korean War soldiers' remains — is proving to be yet another sticking point."

Beyond the promised initial return of remains that the North may have been holding in storage for years, the State Department said Sunday the two sides have agreed to restart searches for burial locations of U.S. war remains in North Korea. That effort was suspended by the U.S. in 2005. This raises another delicate issue to be negotiated: how much the U.S. would pay the North for this access. In the past it has paid millions, saying the money was "fair and reasonable compensation" for the North's help, not payment for bones or information.

In Fitzpatrick's view, the North has dangled the promise of war remains as bait to attain political objectives such as progress toward a peace treaty to replace the armistice agreement that ended the fighting on the Korean Peninsula in July 1953. The North sees this political objective as an essential element of ending what it calls Washington's hostile policy toward the North, which in turn is linked to its willingness to give up its nuclear weapons.

The Singapore summit was mainly about Trump's push to rid North Korea of its nuclear weapons. He said afterward there was no longer a nuclear threat from the North, though Kim agreed only to "work toward complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula," and no detailed plan has been worked out. On Tuesday, Trump seemed to reveal his own doubts about timing. He told reporters, "We have no rush for speed," adding, "We're just going through the process."

___

Associated Press writer Ken Thomas contributed to this report

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1