Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

'They deserve no mercy': Iraq deals briskly with accused 'women of Isis'

A Baghdad court has sentenced more than 40 foreign women to death after 10-minute hearings

Martin Chulov in Baghdad and Nadia al-Faour

Tue 22 May 2018 05.00 BST

3792.jpg?w=700&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&s=024341d5912c1861150d3f293defa361
French national Djamila Boutoutao at the central penal court in Baghdad, where she was sentenced to life in prison for belonging to the Islamic State group
Photograph: Ammar Karim/AFP

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/may/22/they-deserve-no-mercy-iraq-deals-briskly-with-accused-women-of-isis

• Upvote 4

Interesting article. I hesitate at the quick trials with justice being metted out so quickly. I am quite sure some women were forced to join against their will and will now pay the ultimate price.... death by hanging.  As well what of the children ? Prison is no place for them. For that I have no answer.

pp

• Upvote 7

38 minutes ago, pokerplayer said:

Interesting article. I hesitate at the quick trials with justice being metted out so quickly. I am quite sure some women were forced to join against their will and will now pay the ultimate price.... death by hanging.  As well what of the children ? Prison is no place for them. For that I have no answer.

pp

Agreed and agreed....Thanks, PP

• Upvote 2

Nope!  I don't feel sorry for them.

The women here had in some cases willingly joined the group, travelling alone from Europe and central Asia, or with their partners, to what they believed to be a promised land.

More than 40,000 foreigners from 110 countries are estimated to have travelled to Iraq and Syria to join the jihadist group. Of those, around 1,900 are believed to have been French citizens, and around 800 were British.

“In the minds of Iraqis and the judiciary and the government, by virtue of the fact that you are foreign and chose to live in Isis territory there is a level of agency in what you did and more culpability,” said Belkis Wille, the senior researcher for Iraq for Human Rights Watch. “It is not the same in the case of Iraqi women, where very specific evidence is often lessening sentences. If you buy a plane ticket, cross a border and make your choices, you are far more exposed.”

From another case:  " I didn’t wear hijab back home. Isis is good, it taught me how to cover myself.”

Guards who bring the women from a nearby prison said most were unrepentant. “An Isis prisoner once asked me for something which I couldn’t provide and she called me an infidel.”

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

50 minutes ago, Floridian said:

Nope!  I don't feel sorry for them.

The women here had in some cases willingly joined the group, travelling alone from Europe and central Asia, or with their partners, to what they believed to be a promised land.

More than 40,000 foreigners from 110 countries are estimated to have travelled to Iraq and Syria to join the jihadist group. Of those, around 1,900 are believed to have been French citizens, and around 800 were British.

“In the minds of Iraqis and the judiciary and the government, by virtue of the fact that you are foreign and chose to live in Isis territory there is a level of agency in what you did and more culpability,” said Belkis Wille, the senior researcher for Iraq for Human Rights Watch. “It is not the same in the case of Iraqi women, where very specific evidence is often lessening sentences. If you buy a plane ticket, cross a border and make your choices, you are far more exposed.”

From another case:  " I didn’t wear hijab back home. Isis is good, it taught me how to cover myself.”

Guards who bring the women from a nearby prison said most were unrepentant. “An Isis prisoner once asked me for something which I couldn’t provide and she called me an infidel.”

Floridian, If this is true then they should burn to death like they did to others. I have NO mercy for them!!!!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

They answered ads, is some cases ran away from home, They wanted to rebel and become IS Brides until they figures out it was a huge mistake.....They and they alone made the choice....Good or bad it is on them and there is no one else to blame........They gave comfort to Terrorists, they gave them children, they for all we know killed US Troops. Iraqi civilians and even recruited others......Execute them.

There are a few counties also condemning ladies to death because they left to fight Against IS which I do believe is wrong.

On one hand they went willingly to become whores for IS and the other went willingly to fight against and possibly die to stop them.

Give them a pass now and they will just return to the life they want and that is killing those they hate.

Karsten

• Upvote 2