Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

We are proud to be 'rednecks'. It's time to reclaim that term

umbertino

While the term divides us now, its history dates back to a time when mineworkers battled big coal – similar to teachers standing up for funding

Stephen Smith, Wilma Lee Steele and Tina Russell

Sat 14 Apr 2018 08.00 BST

5000.jpg?w=700&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&s=6ce1227b5b9236e5d361bed0056268a3
In West Virginia, the term ‘redneck’ dates back to the early 1900s, a time when mineworkers faced the constant threat of death
Illustration: Sébastien Thibault

I will drop this here to be sure the Guardian gets its facts straight.

From Wiki

Coal miners

The term "redneck" in the early 20th century was occasionally used in reference to American coal miner union members who wore red bandanas for solidarity. The sense of "a union man" dates at least to the 1910s and was especially popular during the 1920s and 1930s in the coal-producing regions of West Virginia, Kentucky, and Pennsylvania.[14] It was also used by union strikers to describe poor white strikebreakers.[15]

I changed the color and underscored the word here. 

Political term for poor farmers

The term characterized farmers having a red neck caused by sunburn from hours working in the fields. A citation from 1893 provides a definition as "poorer inhabitants of the rural districts...men who work in the field, as a matter of course, generally have their skin stained red and burnt by the sun, and especially is this true of the back of their necks".[9]

As political epithet

According to Chapman and Kipfer in their "Dictionary of American Slang", By 1975 the term had expanded in meaning beyond the poor Southerner to refer to "a bigoted and conventional person, a loutish ultra-conservative."[19] For example, in 1960 John Barlow Martin expressed Senator John F. Kennedy should not enter the Indiana Democratic presidential primary because the state was "redneck conservative country." Indiana, he told Kennedy, was a state "suspicious of foreign entanglements, conservative in fiscal policy, and with a strong overlay of Southern segregationist sentiment."[20] Writer William Safire observes it is often used to attack white Southern conservatives, and more broadly to degrade working class and rural whites that are perceived by urban progressives to be insufficiently liberal.[21] At the same time, some white Southerners have reclaimed the word, using it with pride and defiance as a self-identifier.[22]

Outside the United States

Historical Scottish Covenanter usage

In Scotland in the 1640s, the Covenanters rejected rule by bishops, often signing manifestos using their own blood. Some wore red cloth around their neck to signify their position, and were called rednecks by the Scottish ruling class to denote that they were the rebels in what came to be known as The Bishop's War that preceded the rise of Cromwell.[24][25]Eventually, the term began to mean simply "Presbyterian", especially in communities along the Scottish border. Because of the large number of Scottish immigrants in the pre-revolutionary American South, some historians have suggested that this may be the origin of the term in the United States.[26]

Dictionaries document the earliest American citation of the term's use for Presbyterians in 1830, as "a name bestowed upon the Presbyterians of Fayetteville [North Carolina]".[9][25]

• Upvote 2

Mr. Umberto,

I normally do not go into the weeds but when you state, "While the term divides us now, its history dates back to a time when mineworkers battled big coal – similar to teachers standing up for funding", is not even relevant.

It does hit a nerve with an old subject when we had children in public school.

Appropriate funding, ABSOLUTELY!

This is where we part on this subject...

Administrative accountability is the issue with me and others.

With a little research on the various public school district websites you will find the average Superintendent of Schools makes $350,000 to $500,000 per year.

While slightly lower the upper administrative personnel are raking it in as well.

Why?

More money doesn't solve the problem and the teachers get their fiscal house in order.

End of rant, off to more important items.

Good day, Sir.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, nstoolman1 said:

I will drop this here to be sure the Guardian gets its facts straight.

From Wiki

Coal miners

The term "redneck" in the early 20th century was occasionally used in reference to American coal miner union members who wore red bandanas for solidarity. The sense of "a union man" dates at least to the 1910s and was especially popular during the 1920s and 1930s in the coal-producing regions of West Virginia, Kentucky, and Pennsylvania.[14] It was also used by union strikers to describe poor white strikebreakers.[15]

I changed the color and underscored the word here. 

Political term for poor farmers

The term characterized farmers having a red neck caused by sunburn from hours working in the fields. A citation from 1893 provides a definition as "poorer inhabitants of the rural districts...men who work in the field, as a matter of course, generally have their skin stained red and burnt by the sun, and especially is this true of the back of their necks".[9]

As political epithet

According to Chapman and Kipfer in their "Dictionary of American Slang", By 1975 the term had expanded in meaning beyond the poor Southerner to refer to "a bigoted and conventional person, a loutish ultra-conservative."[19] For example, in 1960 John Barlow Martin expressed Senator John F. Kennedy should not enter the Indiana Democratic presidential primary because the state was "redneck conservative country." Indiana, he told Kennedy, was a state "suspicious of foreign entanglements, conservative in fiscal policy, and with a strong overlay of Southern segregationist sentiment."[20] Writer William Safire observes it is often used to attack white Southern conservatives, and more broadly to degrade working class and rural whites that are perceived by urban progressives to be insufficiently liberal.[21] At the same time, some white Southerners have reclaimed the word, using it with pride and defiance as a self-identifier.[22]

Outside the United States

Historical Scottish Covenanter usage

In Scotland in the 1640s, the Covenanters rejected rule by bishops, often signing manifestos using their own blood. Some wore red cloth around their neck to signify their position, and were called rednecks by the Scottish ruling class to denote that they were the rebels in what came to be known as The Bishop's War that preceded the rise of Cromwell.[24][25]Eventually, the term began to mean simply "Presbyterian", especially in communities along the Scottish border. Because of the large number of Scottish immigrants in the pre-revolutionary American South, some historians have suggested that this may be the origin of the term in the United States.[26]

Dictionaries document the earliest American citation of the term's use for Presbyterians in 1830, as "a name bestowed upon the Presbyterians of Fayetteville [North Carolina]".[9][25]

Thanks for  contributing, nstoolman1....Appreciate.....Ciao

32 minutes ago, CaptainBVI said:

Mr. Umberto,

I normally do not go into the weeds but when you state, "While the term divides us now, its history dates back to a time when mineworkers battled big coal – similar to teachers standing up for funding", is not even relevant.

With a little research on the various public school district websites you will find the average Superintendent of Schools makes $350,000 to $500,000 per year.

While slightly lower the upper administrative personnel are raking it in as well.

Why?

More money doesn't solve the problem and the teachers get their fiscal house in order.

Good day, Sir.

Yes lets give those public school teachers more money so they can molest our children :huh:

From Wikipedia

In their 2002 survey, the AAUW reported that,

of students who had been harassed, 38% were harassed by teachers or other school employees.

One survey that was conducted with psychology students reports that

10% had sexual interactions with their educators;

in turn, 13% of educators reported sexual interaction with their students.

[11] In a national survey conducted for the American Association of University Women Educational Foundation in 2000 found that roughly 290,000 students experienced some sort of physical sexual abuse by a public school employee between 1991 and 2000.

And a major 2004 study commissioned by the U.S. Department of Education found that nearly 10 percent of U.S. public school students reported having been targeted with sexual attention by school employees.

Indeed, one critic has claimed that sexual harassment and abuse by teachers is

100 times more frequent than abuse by priests.[12]

And that was 16 years ago

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, CaptainBVI said:

Mr. Umberto,

Why?

Good day, Sir.

Hello Mr. Capt....It's not me stating that...I just (as it's easy to see and check) report articles...which are written by other Folks  (journalists, usually...of various papers...Mainly the Guardian but not only....) I do not write them...

Ciao and have a great weekend

37 minutes ago, umbertino said:

Hello Mr. Capt....It's not me stating that...I just (as it's easy to see and check) report articles...which are written by other Folks  (journalists, usually...of various papers...Mainly the Guardian but not only....) I do not write them...

Ciao and have a great weekend

Mr. Umberto,

Thank you for the clarification.

The sun is shining, it's 5:00 somewhere and a beer is calling me.

I shall toast you.

Have a great weekend.

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, ladyGrace'sDaddy said:

Yes lets give those public school teachers more money so they can molest our children :huh:

From Wikipedia

In their 2002 survey, the AAUW reported that,

of students who had been harassed, 38% were harassed by teachers or other school employees.

One survey that was conducted with psychology students reports that

10% had sexual interactions with their educators;

in turn, 13% of educators reported sexual interaction with their students.

[11] In a national survey conducted for the American Association of University Women Educational Foundation in 2000 found that roughly 290,000 students experienced some sort of physical sexual abuse by a public school employee between 1991 and 2000.

And a major 2004 study commissioned by the U.S. Department of Education found that nearly 10 percent of U.S. public school students reported having been targeted with sexual attention by school employees.

Indeed, one critic has claimed that sexual harassment and abuse by teachers is

100 times more frequent than abuse by priests.[12]

And that was 16 years ago

Mr LGD,

Good to hear from you and hope all is well.

Yes, that's another very disturbing subject.

Thanks for sharing.

Good day, Sir.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1