Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Astronaut Scott Kelly Now Has Different DNA Than His Identical Twin Brother After One Year In Space

Theseus

Okay now we know why the grays are so tall!

Astronaut Scott Kelly Now Has Different DNA Than His Identical Twin Brother After One Year In Space

March 13, 2018 at 3:19 pm

Filed Under:DNA, NASA, Scott Kelly, space
CBS Local — Astronaut Scott Kelly set a record for the longest single spaceflight in history and now NASA is saying the trip made him a “new man” as well. A study of Kelly and his identical twin brother found that spending nearly a year in space significantly changed the astronaut’s DNA.

Kelly spent 340 straight days aboard the International Space Station from 2015 to 2016. When the NASA veteran returned to Earth, researchers immediately noted that he had grown two inches in height. A new study comparing Scott to his identical twin, Mark — who is also a NASA astronaut and stayed on Earth during the 340-day trip — has revealed that long-term space travel alters more than just your height.
A

While Scott Kelly’s height and 93 percent of his DNA returned to normal after returning to Earth, NASA confirmed that seven percent of his genes have remained changed and may stay that way. “This is thought to be from the stresses of space travel, which can cause changes in a cell’s biological pathways and ejection of DNA and RNA,” researchers added.

NASA also found that Kelly’s mental reflexes and accuracy dropped off significantly after coming back to Earth. The mental slow down was blamed on “re-exposure and adjustment to Earth’s gravity.

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, Theseus said:

NASA also found that Kelly’s mental reflexes and accuracy dropped off significantly after coming back to Earth. The mental slow down was blamed on “re-exposure and adjustment to Earth’s gravity.

This is a very interesting article. I wonder if Kelly’s mental health will return to normal. I also wonder if there is something that can be done to rectify these issues before they send another person in space for this long. I suspect their number of volunteers for another long term flight has diminished since this report. 🙄

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Bama Girl said:

This is a very interesting article. I wonder if Kelly’s mental health will return to normal. I also wonder if there is something that can be done to rectify these issues before they send another person in space for this long. I suspect their number of volunteers for another long term flight has diminished since this report. 🙄

Mental reflexes not mental health - huge difference. His psychological health (which most equate to mental health) is fine.

6 hours ago, bostonangler said:

Man that is freaky... DNA is the key and when I see those commercials saying send us your DNA and will give you a report on your heritage, I'm thinking "no way an I sending anyone my DNA". Who are these companies and what could they do with my DNA??? No thanks brother!

B/A

No one tampered with or altered his DNA or did an experiment altering his DNA. The change in DNA was a side-effect of being in the relatively low gravity of space for 340 days. The consequence of being in low orbit space, not even in deep space, was the increase in height and the temporary altering of his DNA.  Most if not all of his DNA has returned to normalcy due to effects of gravity.

• Upvote 2

On 3/15/2018 at 3:09 PM, Theseus said:

Mental reflexes not mental health - huge difference. His psychological health (which most equate to mental health) is fine.

Thank you for the clarification.  I obviously used the wrong terminology because I really did not believe he developed mental problems, just was wondering if the mentioned problems would correct themselves in time. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Bama Girl said:

Thank you for the clarification.  I obviously used the wrong terminology because I really did not believe he developed mental problems, just was wondering if the mentioned problems would correct themselves in time. 

Apparently 97% of his DNA returned to normal after coming back to Earth. If there was three more astronauts with changed DNA we could call them the Fantastic Four!

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, nstoolman1 said:

You mean I could get taller if I go into space???? Sign me up. :woot:  :soon:

Toolman

height is not all it is cracked up to be sir.

i am 6’3” and precious little in the world is built for me.

I once dated a girl who was 4’11”  I think you can conceive of the difficulties that came about from that relationship!

Even something simple as washing the dishes can be difficult.

I once lived in a rental house where the cabinetry was built for a woman who was 4 foot three.

I literally had to sit down to help with the kitchen chores!

My younger brother is 6’6”  So it’s even worse for him!

Imagine what life is like for Shaq or wilt the stilt!

Edited by Muleslayer
  • Upvote 3