Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

My first rifle: how young is too young to operate a gun?

In 30 states, it’s legal for a child to possess a rifle or shotgun, which advocates say teaches them to use guns responsibly – but critics see it laying a path for danger

Jake Nevins in New York

Wed 7 Mar 2018 12.25 GMT

5760.jpg?w=700&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&s=62521f75e391dc3ecedbc9867e414816
A pastor and NRA firearms instructor offers guidance to his eight-year-old daughter at the gun range, in Arizona
Photograph: Dave Cruz / Barcroft Media

My ol' man asked me when I was 8 if I wanted to go hunting. I said yes.

He told be to start saving my money because I was not going to use his.

I worked like a dog and got my 1st rifle when I was 9, $78.00 for a lever action 30/30.

I got my 1st deer when I was 10.

How about that?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7

I shot my first deer when I was 6. My two boys shot theirs when they were 6. My girl waited till she was 7. Her decision. All of them are pretty darn good shots too. I trained all of them on gun safety first then started on .22's. I also made them shoot and prove marksmanship with open sights before using scopes. All of them love and respect the outdoors. We have days we go out and burn up a ton of ammo just having fun. We shoot everything, rifle, pistol and shotgun. My boys were shooting M1 Garands at 8. They love the rifle. "Laying a path for danger", yep, I guess so, especially if your a 10-point buck, a dove or quail, or well, I will just leave it at that.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, 8th ID said:

I shot my first deer when I was 6. My two boys shot theirs when they were 6. My girl waited till she was 7. Her decision. All of them are pretty darn good shots too. I trained all of them on gun safety first then started on .22's. I also made them shoot and prove marksmanship with open sights before using scopes. All of them love and respect the outdoors. We have days we go out and burn up a ton of ammo just having fun. We shoot everything, rifle, pistol and shotgun. My boys were shooting M1 Garands at 8. They love the rifle. "Laying a path for danger", yep, I guess so, especially if your a 10-point buck, a dove or quail, or well, I will just leave it at that.

DA MAN!

also known as Daddy!

• Upvote 3

The title in itself is contradictory. Owning a gun is different than operating a gun. Millions of Boy Scouts operate a 22-rifle every summer as they take up target shooting. These Scouts range from the age of 11 to 18 and are trained every year at those summer camps. If the individual is younger, a parent ;can say they own a gun and allow the youngster to operate the gun. The news story is trying to force a narrative of setting at what age is too young to own a gun by saying that at that age they are also too young to operate a gun. Through proper training and education, responsible parents and youngsters can handle, operate and own a gun legally with few incidents.

Umbertino, you forgot to post the story about how the town who requires gun ownership has had only one murder in the last six years. 

• Thanks 1