Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

How Snowfall effects different regions...

moose 57

My stepdaughter and wife are from Minnesota. When they moved here, the stepdaughter was in the 5th grade. I remember when we had about 4 inches of snow overnight one time and my stepdaughter asked "Do you think we'll get a snow day?" I told her I was sorry, but I had never seen a snow day.  In the next 9  years of school (she graduated in 2015) - she had exactly 1 snow day. A Couple of late starts - but only 1 true snow day - and yeah - I had to go to work...

• Upvote 5

Well, in South Texas just an inch will have everything shut down. Luckily the 1-4 inches last week occurred in the evening after most got off work and were at home. If not, it would have been caos and a complete societal breakdown. People around here can barely drive in wet rainy weather, you surely don’t want to be on the road with them in the ice and snow. 🤣

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, 8th ID said:

Well, in South Texas just an inch will have everything shut down. Luckily the 1-4 inches last week occurred in the evening after most got off work and were at home. If not, it would have been caos and a complete societal breakdown. People around here can barely drive in wet rainy weather, you surely don’t want to be on the road with them in the ice and snow. 🤣

Not to mention that we don't have the infrastructure/equipment(snow chains, tires) to handle freezing conditions for extended periods of time.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/traffic/article/Icy-road-causes-car-pile-up-on-Loop-410-ramp-12415676.php#photo-14671434

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, pokerplayer said:

Interesting, and all this time I thought various locations in the states got more than just a skiff of snow.  :)

pp

Being Canadian dear define “skiff”

ok I will skiff must be a metric term.

if you convert skiff to SAE somewhere around a foot and a half!

jk dear!

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

13 hours ago, 8th ID said:

Absolutely correct.  Here in the south we get more ice than anything else.  So driving on ice is nerve racking.  The snow that we get is just a teaser for the kids, never last long or even enough to build a snowman.  I made a snowman for my grandkids, 12 inches tall, but when you take a close up pic of it, it looked  huge.  LOL!!! They came over with all their gear on, I was so tickled how Mom bundled them up.  The joy in their faces is something I will never forget.  Let It Snow...again!!!!

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, tankdude said:

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/skiff

Skiff - noun 

1.any of various types of boats small enough for sailing or rowing by one person

Therefore it logically follows that a skiff of snow is a boatload...

:pirateship:

I think here in Texas you could say we saw plenty of skiff's when Harvey visited us in August,  I like the logic that a skiff of snow is a boatload.. that would of been a laugh to see here!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, tankdude said:

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/skiff

Skiff - noun 

1.any of various types of boats small enough for sailing or rowing by one person

Therefore it logically follows that a skiff of snow is a boatload...

:pirateship:

9 hours ago, tankdude said:

509d6b96bced8.image.jpg

This is a skiff of snow here....

5 hours ago, tankdude said:

looks-fine-to-me_o_1123775.jpg

You are on a roll brother!:twothumbs:

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1