Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Five years on, Sandy Hook families recall gun horror – but is anyone listening in Washington?

Newtown shooting shocked the world – yet gun control seems further away than ever. But a band of loyal activists are convinced the fight is winnable

Lois Beckett in Washington

Saturday 9 December 2017 13.14 GMT

3000.jpg?w=700&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&s=a4e691e29b270baf1d5392cc00aa534c
In Newtown, an 20-year-old local man obsessed with mass shootings had burst into an elementary school with an AR-15-style rifle and murdered 20 young children and six educators
Photograph: Spencer Platt/Getty Images

• Upvote 1

I am still in question of what really went down there if anything at all. As for gun laws I carry every day and not Once have I even thought about Harming anyone.....It is not the Gun but rather the sick and twisted mind that grew up believing that somehow what ever they do is going to be alright....It starts with parenting and/or the lack of one Getting their Ass Kicked for Lack of Respect.

Quite honestly I see a lot of dead kids in the future for that same reason....they have no Respect, they are Accountable to No One, They have no One to Hold them Accountable yet after it is all said and done....Due to Piss Poor Parenting and losing their (long Forgotten) Child they feel Empowered to Sue the City and Police, the Firearm Manufacture and so many others to make a Buck off of Something that would have never happened if they Were Responsible.

In this case the mother Actually did try to have here son get the help he needed rather than just keep him drugged up.

It all starts at Home and from there it turns into a success story or a failed life.

Karsten

• Upvote 1

Newtown was a sad example of a "law abiding" gun owner who wasn't responsible enough to keep those guns out of the hands of her deranged son.....and it cost her and dozens of others their lives.  Many families destroyed.  Oh well, sucks to be you says the NRA, or Fake News says the Breitbart conspiracy hacks.  <_<

GO RV, then BV  

• Upvote 1

This is like blaming Budweiser or Coors for the Intoxication Manslaughter CRASH where a drunk driver hits a car and kills someone. I believe with Shabs on this, it was a deranged individual that pulled the trigger. While sad and horrific, it does not mean we have to start adding more laws. Enforce the ones we have. And I agree with Mark, makes me wanna stockpile for these nuts that think the government should be our protector and overseer.

• Upvote 2

Sandy Hook families post video on how to spot signs of potential mass shooting

Nonprofit founded by some of the family members of victims release video with message that it’s possible to see signs of a potential act of violence ahead of time

Lois Beckett

Monday 11 December 2017 19.07 GMT

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/dec/11/sandy-hook-families-post-video-on-how-to-spot-signs-of-potential-mass-shooting