Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Kindness of the Southern Back Roads

Heavyduty053

I'm sure you've heard the old saying, you can take a person out of the country, but you can't take the country out of a person

Country living especially in the South is not for everyone and sure not for the faint of heart. It takes a lot out of a person but it adds back lessons in life while living in that atmosphere that can't be taught anywhere else. Our house was built to where it was a straight shot from the front door down the hall to the back door. This was done so during the summer days and night times a breeze would enter front or back and cool the whole house then out in went. Sorta like a natural air conditioner. Yes we left the doors wide open all night long for the cool air beside back then there was no cause for alarm, we didn't have no bad folks around. Dad had a double barrel shotgun standing right by his bed and mom had one to and she knew how to use it if need be for anything that wanted to cause harm.

Country living had its rewards but it also had some very difficult times to go with it. My brother and I developed our own little world, there was no TV, there was no laying out at night and sleeping till noon. The world we built and lived in, we was content. Weekdays and weekends was the same when you know what your jobs is and when it 's got to be done. Done get me wrong, our parents was not slave drivers, the only time that chores was added to us was as we grew older otherwise dad had to do them. We had free times during the summer days to walk down to the creek and catch some catfish and if we caught enough dad would clean them and that was a treat for supper. That's when mom set in to singing and cutting some potato's for fries and a big fresh head of cabbage for slaw. I remember when the fall was about to turn into winter and the cool was turning to cold Dad would select one of our hogs we had been fatting up and slaughter it for our winter time meat. Watching this process was not sickening because we knew it was for survival and mighty tasty at that. When it was time to cut the portions of meat the smokehouse had a big fire going and was barreling hickory smoke getting ready for the new meat. Shoulders, Hams and slabs of Bacon was hung from the rafters and smoked day and night for several days to cure the meat and also I might add once the meat was smoked there wasn't a bug or fly for miles around that would try to even land on it. What wasn't in the smokehouse went into a big salt box and covered with salt until needed. Salt pork when along good with honey and biscuits. Mom always had some biscuits or cornbread on the kitchen table for snacks in case we got hungry after school. When you understand the importance of why these things had to be done that way, you quickly learn that God gave us these things to waste but so we could feed ourselves.

During the hot summers while we tended the garden vegetables we would pull a turnip or two and take the heads wash them off, add a little salt and it was a great snack while we worked. After the chores was done we would head out to climb some trees and sit up in there and imagine being on top of the world. The world of imagination could pass time pretty quickly. I remember once even falling asleep sitting in the fork of a tree about 20 foot up. I guess the breeze was cool and I was tried. We had our work to do and we had a free times. Mom and dad made sure we were loved and cared for. Well I guess I will have a make a part three. Until then let me know what you think........ God bless everyone.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

Heavyduty053 you and I are the same age an I like you was born an raised in Alabama. All the things you mentioned I also had the pleasure of experiencing (it wasn't such a pleasure back then though). I guess his work ethic an respect for my mother was the 2 greatest things my father instilled me that I passed down to my children.

Southern living now days are a lot different in most areas compared to way back then but some things never change....love for God, country and family was always priority. Respect your elders an stand when a woman walks into a room. You always stand to shake another mans hand an you better have a good grip. I could go on an on with my learning but won't because I'm sure you had the same upbringing....

Enjoyed your post an look forward to your next.

Edited by DoD
  • Upvote 1

This is not meant to take anything away from your post Heavy...

I did not grow up in the south. My father was from Missouri and he ran that little spot in Orange County, Calif like you describe. We grew up respecting people. When we were not at the dinner table, doing dishes, mowing the yard, tending the garden that my mom had or going to school we were reading a book, playing outside(hide and go seek, army or riding around the block.) We kept busy.  My point is that back in the early 60's to 70's we took care of each other, you knew your neighbors(and they new your parents) You said please and thank you. I think the Spirit of the South was all over the nation. Today I don't think as much. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

I wished the spirit that we grew up in was still the rule of the day. Kids today have no real discipline and love to take with them as they grow into adulthood. Over the years they are not shown love along with discipline to fit the what they have done when they have misbehaved or just the kindness of hugs for no reason.....this is what builds character in a child and its true value will be passed on to their future children. These acts of kindness has faded away and it's destruction of the family unit is taking a terrible beating. Unless we fall on our knee's and seek God's help we will be pushed over the cliff.    JMO

• Upvote 6