Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Bitcoin: is it a bubble waiting to burst or a good investment?

umbertino

Disciples of the cryptocurrency plan to hold on for dear life but traditional finance is getting twitchy

Richard Partington Economics correspondent

Saturday 2 December 2017 07.00 GMT

3500.jpg?w=700&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&s=c89f301136949219f17729c2d2668650
Bitcoin has risen 900% in value in 2017.
Photograph: Dado Ruvic/Reuters

More pics in link

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Bitcoin investors hoping to make billions may end up with a sack of fool’s gold

The cryptocurrency may not be a threat to the world economy, but that should not stop regulators from protecting investors from it

Sunday 3 December 2017 07.00 GMT

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/dec/03/bitcoin-investors-hoping-billions-sack-fools-gold

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Bitcoin: UK and EU plan crackdown amid crime and tax evasion fears

Cryptocurrency close to record high despite news Treasury plans to end traders’ anonymity

Julia Kollewe

Monday 4 December 2017 15.01 GMT

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/dec/04/bitcoin-uk-eu-plan-cryptocurrency-price-traders-anonymity

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Venezuela to launch cryptocurrency to combat US 'blockade', Maduro says

President claims digital currency called the ‘petro’ will be backed by Venezuelan reserves of gold, oil, gas, and diamonds

Reuters

Monday 4 December 2017 03.27 GMT

2953.jpg?w=700&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&s=1573701bd38b141166b653112052e978
Venezuela’s President Nicolas Maduro speaks during his weekly radio and TV broadcast Los Domingos con Maduro
Photograph: HANDOUT/Reuters

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/dec/04/venezuela-to-launch-cryptocurrency-to-combat-us-blockade-maduro-says

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Make a fast million from bitcoin? I don’t want any more damage to my soul

The lure of cryptocurrency makes me fear the Faustian pact of speculative finance. But the awful truth is we’ve all signed up to it already

Tuesday 5 December 2017 13.39 GMT

By  Julian Baggini

4347.jpg?w=700&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&s=4c24b27a678ca741adaba21111715cb0
‘Bitcoins bought for about $1,000 a year ago are worth over $11,000 today.’
Photograph: Chesnot/Getty Images

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 12/3/2017 at 7:06 AM, ladyGrace'sDaddy said:

I guess everyone has the right to be stupid. But the real reasons that Libretards don't like cryptos is because it can't be controlled by their 

demonic leaders. 

Took away your neg.

You are correct.

There are three European countries scheduled to totally eliminate cash within the next two years, and I believe it was the Netherlands that removed cash this year or last.

It's all about control.

While bitcoin is the highest valued crypto, it is no longer worth mining, as the difficulty of finding shares goes up exponentially with every blockchain that is mined.

Besides, CPU mining is expensive, GPU mining hardware cost has gone crazy in the last year, and game card manufacturers play it for every cent, but even so, the cost of operating  GPU rigs are about 50% of the CPU.

Add to that if you pick coins that are starters it's easy to mine several hundred pretty quick, that is how thousands of teens and college kids became millionaires overnight.

I bought a bunch of cards and equipment last year but have only had time to modify two of the servers and build three card racks. Even so, those rigs are running 24/7 mining mostly Ethereum, and my profit after electricity is equal to my house payment.

Once I have the rest of the equipment running it will cover 70% of my total monthly expenses.

I'll just use the generated crypto to finance more equipment until I have a farm big enough to retire without losing a penny of the income I have now.

The value is very fluid, this afternoon my ether was worth just over $500, and now they are worth $449.15, but they were only worth $100 when I started mining.

The value will trend up, you just have to be intelligent about when you decide to sell as with any stock, and, as more people are accepting their currency is just as equally fictional as crypto except the government gets to steal more of your cash than your crypto, they will also start using it, which will only increase its value.

Unlike the USD, which our government prints by the truckloads every day, and in so doing erodes the value of every dollar you have ever earned and saved in your life.

Besides, unlike our USD, the blockchain is transparent. It is finite. It can't be cheated, forged, or hidden.

What that means is each coin will eventually play out, and other coins will be needed, thus ensuring there will always be a speculators market.

There are stores that accept cryptos, you can exchange for face value of almost any stock, and there are apps to exchange with another smartphone for POS, or point of sale exchanges.

Once Japan officially recognised crypto as a currency the wheels were set in motion.

The only thing stopping the US from accepting is they want to figure out a way to monitor and tax every transaction.

After all, we are still considered their property, and they cant be lettin us slaves go and get all uppety, we might just finally decide to take back our power, and just what would all those leeches in DC do for free money then?

It's a learning curve from hell, but you don't even need to know CMOS anymore, and there's a lot of walkthroughs online  that will take you step by step from zero to monitoring your workers progress.

I strongly suggest to everyone to either invest in some coins, or some hardware and mine their own.

There are hundreds of crypto's, each one is a potential bitcoin. It's almost like having the opportunity to invest in microsoft when it was a penny stock.

Most will be non-starters, but, some will win, and holding those coins could mean overnight millionaire.

I invested less in cryptos than I did in Dinar, and already I have almost made my entire investment back.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 5

Bitcoin: $64m in cryptocurrency stolen in 'sophisticated' hack, exchange says

Mining marketplace NiceHash suspends operations while it co-operates with authorities over ‘professional attack’, urging users to change passwords

Samuel Gibbs

Thursday 7 December 2017 10.38 GMT

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/dec/07/bitcoin-64m-cryptocurrency-stolen-hack-attack-marketplace-nicehash-passwords

Umb's note. I just found out  an ATM has been opened in a little town (Rovereto) about 15 miles south from where I live and also in that same town there's a bitcoin shop.....

https://coinatmradar.com/city/253/bitcoin-atm-rovereto/

Bitcoin surges over $15,000 despite 'Dante's Inferno' warning – business live

Royal Bank of Scotland’s chairman says central bankers should hang an ‘abandon hope’ warning over bitcoin

Graeme Wearden

Thursday 7 December 2017 14.44 GMT

4572.jpg?w=700&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&s=d887ba242cce796db562fffc2b895dfc
The offices of the bank “La Maison du Bitcoin” in Paris this week.
Photograph: Chesnot/Getty Images

https://www.theguardian.com/business/live/2017/dec/07/pound-sterling-ftse-brexit-bitcoin-economics-business-live

Bitcoin ends dramatic week with 20% slump followed by recovery

Amid warnings of bubbles and infernos, currency hits new high of $16,660, crashes, then recovers to $15,350 as London closed

Jill Treanor

Friday 8 December 2017 18.53 GMT

3820.jpg?w=700&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&s=b22b4d948f342f20f067b3479552d232
To many people Friday was a rollercoaster of bitcoin trading. But investors in the cryptocurrency are used to wild fluctuations in its value
Photograph: Charlie Riedel/AP

Chart in link

Traders brace for bitcoin futures launch after wild week for currency

While some welcome regulated way to bet on or hedge against bitcoin, others warn risks remain to more than just investors

Reuters in New York

Sunday 10 December 2017 15.20 GMT

4319.jpg?w=700&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&s=07bec418f2475f86fe4ab95515c05972
Chicago Board Options Exchange website announces that bitcoin futures will start trading on the Cboe on Sunday evening
Photograph: Kiichiro Sato/AP

Bitcoin price surges as futures trading begins, despite bubble warnings – business live

Bitcoin has made its hotly anticipated launch onto the futures market, but some analysts and central bankers are still urging caution

Graeme Wearden

Monday 11 December 2017 10.15 GMT

Key events:

Bitcoin buyer beware: US SEC warns 'extreme caution' over cryptocurrency investments

Head of US financial regulator concerned by lack of protections saying there are ‘substantial risks of theft or loss, including from hacking’

Alex Hern

Tuesday 12 December 2017 11.25 GMT

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/dec/12/bitcoin-buyer-beware-us-sec-warns-extreme-caution-over-cryptocurrency-investments

On 12/3/2017 at 7:27 AM, ladyGrace'sDaddy said:

Also with a market cap of over $347 BILLION dollars 

the only way one doesn't see what is going 

Today the crypto coins I have are now worth $850 each.

That's almost double on two days.

Good chance they will be back down to $500 tomorrow, but once it jumps like that they will level out at least 25-50% higher than the previous plateau. 

It's the wild wild west with crypto, yehaa..

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Fly said:

Current market value of 1 BTC is about 17,000.00 USD

850.00 USD is about 0.050124 BTC

For current market values: https://www.coindesk.com/calculator/

True,  but the difficulty of the equations increases with every block solved.

There's like 16 M already confirmed  which only leaves 5M to solve the entire chain.

Wall street is solely responsible for this bubble, total panic hysteria, the exact same thing that has caused massive economic crashes, like when oil futures pushed a barrel to 200 or 300 and we had rationing,  silver still hasn't recovered from the Hunt bros attempt to takeover. The only reason it happened to BTC is no sec regs to cap trading volume.

In the mining community it was accepted btc was played out for us independents, and only the farms were still going. 

Actually Bitcoin is in the process of a splint, and most exchanges are only accepting one Bitcoin,   they don't even know which one of the coins is going to get to keep the BTC label.

At the split all holders of btc will get an equal number of new coins. 

And that is where my head starts spinning around in circles and make nasty growling sounds, I just don't understand the math to be able to explain exactly why.

I had six enterprise servers running, each with 24 CPU's for a total of 144 processors mining 24/7.

I had grown weed for the last 4 years to make a topical cream, and grew enough for at least the next 3 or 4 years. So i took down the hydroponics and turned the greenhouse into my server room.

I already had a 240v panel with commercial grade HVAC and had built a custom enviromental control system, it is outside and very well insulated so noise was not an issue.

Even running the servers on 240 volts with the temp kept to  a constant 68 degrees after 2 weeks I only had like .00000045765 of one BTC.  ( not an exact number,  but close to same numbee of digits below zero).

I got bunch of 7950's and R9's and started GPU mining, and was doing as much as 1 or better coin a day on ethernium.

One day those ethers will probably hold the same value as BTC.

At which time with my luck the usb with my hard key will get too close to a magnet and my wallet will be locked away  forever...

• Upvote 3

16 hours ago, divemaster5734 said:

True,  but the difficulty of the equations increases with every block solved.

There's like 16 M already confirmed  which only leaves 5M to solve the entire chain.

Wall street is solely responsible for this bubble, total panic hysteria, the exact same thing that has caused massive economic crashes, like when oil futures pushed a barrel to 200 or 300 and we had rationing,  silver still hasn't recovered from the Hunt bros attempt to takeover. The only reason it happened to BTC is no sec regs to cap trading volume.

In the mining community it was accepted btc was played out for us independents, and only the farms were still going. 

Actually Bitcoin is in the process of a splint, and most exchanges are only accepting one Bitcoin,   they don't even know which one of the coins is going to get to keep the BTC label.

At the split all holders of btc will get an equal number of new coins. 

And that is where my head starts spinning around in circles and make nasty growling sounds, I just don't understand the math to be able to explain exactly why.

I had six enterprise servers running, each with 24 CPU's for a total of 144 processors mining 24/7.

I had grown weed for the last 4 years to make a topical cream, and grew enough for at least the next 3 or 4 years. So i took down the hydroponics and turned the greenhouse into my server room.

I already had a 240v panel with commercial grade HVAC and had built a custom enviromental control system, it is outside and very well insulated so noise was not an issue.

Even running the servers on 240 volts with the temp kept to  a constant 68 degrees after 2 weeks I only had like .00000045765 of one BTC.  ( not an exact number,  but close to same numbee of digits below zero).

I got bunch of 7950's and R9's and started GPU mining, and was doing as much as 1 or better coin a day on ethernium.

One day those ethers will probably hold the same value as BTC.

At which time with my luck the usb with my hard key will get too close to a magnet and my wallet will be locked away  forever...

Your a little bit off base about Bitcoin forks IMHO, though I do agree it's an issue.

So Bitcoin Cash and Segwit2X were the most controversial forks, however Segwit2X never happenned and Bitcoin Cash happenned back in August and we can see Bitcoin (Bitcoin Core) has kept the Bitcoin brand, has kept the value, and has kept the hash power. 

We've since had Bitcoin Gold, Super Bitcoin, and Bitcoin Diamond and at this point it seems everyone knows which is the real Bitcoin, the novelty of getting free money has worn off, people don't really care anymore. Could a better cryptocurrency unseat Bitcoin, absolutely but it doesn't look like it's going to happen anytime soon seeing as how almost every cryptocurrency is "better" than Bitcoin but Bitcoin still remains king. 

Mining is way over my head but something I find very interesting. That setup you have of 7950's and R9's, that is different from an Asic miner right? What does something like that cost? How much would you say it costs in electricity per day? I'm not very tech saavy but have always had an interest in trying out mining to learn the ins and outs of crypto better, however everyone I've asked online says it's not cost effective just buy coins. Would love to hear more about your setup, how much it costs, and how difficult it would be for a dummie to setup

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, RVWITHME said:

The reality is this:

Let's go back to 2007:

1 Dinar: Cost $0.0012

1 Bitcoin: Cost $0.50

10 years later:

1 Dinar: Value $0.0012

1 Bitcoin: Value $16,409.00

That's one heck of an "RV"

I can't believe someone actually just said it; what the reality of a global cryptocurrency truly is...and it's just getting started. But...do you actually believe what you are saying, can you truly...believe!...what it is, you're saying? I'm wondering...?

Because that might be a pretty big pill to swallow just a few years down the road...wouldn't it? 

• Confused 1

A bubble? We don’t even know how to value Bitcoin

The Bitcoin market is only just maturing as an investment and the underlying value of the cryptocurrency is still unknown

Alicia (Lucy) Cameron and Kelly Trinh for the Conversation

Thursday 14 December 2017 00.39 GMT

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/commentisfree/2017/dec/14/a-bubble-we-dont-even-know-how-to-value-bitcoin