Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Kindness Of The Southern Back Roads

Heavyduty053

Part 1

Near my old home place there is a winding back road. IT was scratched out of an old Indian trail many-many years ago along the banks of a local river and it follows the banks of the rivers path as it twists and turns down the slow slope of the mountain to a town 16 miles away. My dad would always drive this old road in my early years because it just seemed natural and because it was the fastest way to town. We didn't go to town that much because Dad always bought enough to carry us for several weeks. Going to town was for things that we didn't grow in our gardens and meat we raised and killed  from our own little farm. Life was so simple then, of course me and my brother would help with the chores because we understood that if we didn't we would not have enough food to store for winter.

Going to town with our dad and mom was a treat for us boys because we knew that we would get a small sack of candy to divide between the two of us for helping without arguing and fussing about who was supposed to do what. We both knew what our chores was. We might have looked like we were poor in sight but we had a loving mother and father who if he had to punish us do so and without being mad and hugged us and told us how much he hated to. We were rich in love and care from our parents. My dad was one to share what he had with someone if they were in need. Winter time was ruff sometimes more than others but with dad cutting enough wood we were surrounded by warmth of the fireplace. Us boys didn't learn all the different things most kids learned but we learned something more valuable, to think, to care, to act with common sense. Yes we went to school and it wasn't but a couple miles from our house. It was a country school while the city below had their own school. Us boys got up with the chickens as dad used to say, did our chores eat some breakfast and dad would drive us to school in our old car. Then we would walk home in the summer and he would come get us each day in the wintertime. When you grow up knowing what's before you and what is real its amazing how fast you can learn as you age. I wouldn't trade my country upbringing and what it has taught me for anything. It has helped me develop the character that I follow today.......Next week part 2....I don't do many stories on myself so please be kind a drop a note if you like it.....next week part 2

• Upvote 5