Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

The gun numbers: just 3% of American adults own a collective 133m firearms

Facts show owning more than 40 guns is actually fairly common in the United States, and violence falls most heavily on the country’s poorest neighborhoods

Lois Beckett in New York

Wednesday 15 November 2017 07.00 GMT

Vid in link

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/nov/15/the-gun-numbers-just-3-of-american-adults-own-a-collective-133m-firearms

• Downvote 2

President Trump, please listen to a Sandy Hook mom on gun reform

There is also much that federal and state legislation can do to prevent violence, writes Nicole Hockley. We need leaders to embrace sustainable solutions

Wednesday 15 November 2017 07.03 GMT

2355.jpg?w=700&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&s=56b796809ea6cdd9872579b4bfdc9ee7
Dylan Hockley was killed at Sandy Hook elementary school on 14 December 2012
Photograph: Rex/Shutterstock

• Downvote 2

Sorry to enlighten you but here it is for grins.........Life Long NRA Member, I own 11 1911 .45 cal and .38 Super pistols, a few other .38 and .357 Revolvers, 5 AR-15 Rifles, 5 more 12 Gauge Shotguns and to be honest I forget how many other .308/7.63 rifles....I carry a 1911 every day as well as another BUG, 2 folding knives and extra clips....Not once have I threatened anyone, drawn my pistol or had an ill thought towards anyone.

There have been a time or two when I might have had to act but I didn't.

Once in a grocery store I notice some (I will just say Odd) lady wondering around complaining about everything with a guy following her, tossed some produce on the floor and kept on ranting.....Long story short she and her companion were in the next line checking out and she is still ranting only louder.....The gal checking me out muttered something like I hope this doesn't get out of control..........I looked back and said if it does she wont know where it came from and it is over.

She looked back and said, thank you.......we get these kind in all the time and we don't have a clue who to trust after dark.

These days to gals there are all friendly, let me do this or get you down here....I am not the scary guy with the gun but I am the guy in the store that has made it a point to know each and every employee by 1st name.....

A good Guy with a Gun is the last thing anyone needs to fear yet they can Hope and Pray there is a Good Guy with a Gun to stop the Bad Guy when it all goes South.

Karsten

• Like 1
  • Upvote 8

7 minutes ago, Karsten said:

Sorry to enlighten you but here it is for grins.........Life Long NRA Member, I own 11 1911 .45 cal and .38 Super pistols, a few other .38 and .357 Revolvers, 5 AR-15 Rifles, 5 more 12 Gauge Shotguns and to be honest I forget how many other .308/7.63 rifles....I carry a 1911 every day as well as another BUG, 2 folding knives and extra clips....Not once have I threatened anyone, drawn my pistol or had an ill thought towards anyone.

There have been a time or two when I might have had to act but I didn't.

Once in a grocery store I notice some (I will just say Odd) lady wondering around complaining about everything with a guy following her, tossed some produce on the floor and kept on ranting.....Long story short she and her companion were in the next line checking out and she is still ranting only louder.....The gal checking me out muttered something like I hope this doesn't get out of control..........I looked back and said if it does she wont know where it came from and it is over.

She looked back and said, thank you.......we get these kind in all the time and we don't have a clue who to trust after dark.

These days to gals there are all friendly, let me do this or get you down here....I am not the scary guy with the gun but I am the guy in the store that has made it a point to know each and every employee by 1st name.....

A good Guy with a Gun is the last thing anyone needs to fear yet they can Hope and Pray there is a Good Guy with a Gun to stop the Bad Guy when it all goes South.

Karsten

I wish I could give you more than 1 emerald Karstan. We need way more people like you out there.

pp

Edited by pokerplayer
  • Upvote 3

I would imagine there are close to 300m+  guns in private ownership. I have my share, although in recent years I have been culling my collection. Karsten, I too am a 45 fan. Carry my Kimber .45 CDP+ daily. I too am NRA, Benefactor member.

I have been in a situation where I had to almost take a life once in my life,  in defense of my own. I am thankful I didn't have too.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, pokerplayer said:

I wish I could give you more than 1 emerald Karstan. We need way more people like you out there.

pp

PP....They are out there everyday. I am sure there are many here that carry everyday and don't think a second about it......It is a way of life so to speak....Like Ground Hog Day, you just do it over and over again but this time thankfully/Hopefully it never amounts to anything.

More Good  Guys with Guns mean the Bad Guys have more to worry about, more to think about...The typical BG is a coward as well is the typical terrorist.....They want a soft Target so they can rob and get away or blow something up and not be stopped.....Every Bad Guy with a gun that was Confronted by a Good Guy willing to fight back.....Kill Themselves as that just wasn't figured in the plan or Death by Cop.

Just don't be a helpless victim....You fight back and at least you have a chance.

Karsten

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, markb57 said:

I would imagine there are close to 300m+  guns in private ownership. I have my share, although in recent years I have been culling my collection. Karsten, I too am a 45 fan. Carry my Kimber .45 CDP+ daily. I too am NRA, Benefactor member.

I have been in a situation where I had to almost take a life once in my life,  in defense of my own. I am thankful I didn't have too.

But Mark.....That is the whole picture that somehow the liberals don't get....I don't want to hurt anyone nor do you of the thousands of others out there. You carry a Gun, I carry a Gun and a lot of other people carry a gun and for the most part no one would ever know. I really don't even want to have to draw my pistol and I am sure and the rest don't either....None of Us go out daily thinking this is my Day,,,,,More so it is like tying your Tie to finish getting dressed.

Mark....Bad Guy bent for hell on doing Evil Pray to God they don't run into People like us and some many others....I wasn't in the plan and it makes a mess of there day.

If We, I , You or anyone steps up and takes a stand....you have to weight the outcomes and what it could mean but you only have a slit second....Call 911 and wait, wish you had a gun or Pray to God someone is there to protect you.

Just sayin.......You all run it down in you mind....Who do you want and how fast do you want them there when the Crazy Ass goes off and starts shooting.

The Guy pushing up down behind a rack of food, behind a planter in a Mall, rushing in back into a store and drawing a Gun to protect you, give you cover or you can wait 10 plus minutes for the police to get there. For the most part you will never know how we are, the Lady on the Bus next to you, the guy pushing his cart in the store, the couple walking their dog down the sidewalk....Anyone and everyone could be that person hell bent on causing carnage and at the same time the guy or gal behind you in line could be the one that jumps in a saves lives.

Your choice.....Criminals and Terrorists or the guy or gal just shopping for some butter and eggs and you never knew we were even there?.

Karsten

• Upvote 1

Senate's new gun law reuses old ideas and stops short on background checks

Legislation adds accountability measures for entering proper records into the background check system – which was already a requirement passed in 2008

Lois Beckett in New York and Sabrina Siddiqui in Washington

Thursday 16 November 2017 16.18 GMT

4928.jpg?w=700&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&s=5ce2ba4da68bd91672ff219e788dccc6
Federal agencies, including the military, are already required by law to submit records to the gun background checks system.
Photograph: Paul J Richards/AFP/Getty Images

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/nov/16/senates-new-gun-law-reuses-old-ideas-and-stops-short-on-background-checks

3 hours ago, umbertino said:

Senate's new gun law reuses old ideas and stops short on background checks

Legislation adds accountability measures for entering proper records into the background check system – which was already a requirement passed in 2008

Federal agencies, including the military, are already required by law to submit records to the gun background checks system.

And yet they don't. Adding to the problem. 

It is not about the guns. It is about control.

Instead of bringing the people that fail at these laws to task they write and pass more laws.

If the first set is not enforced what makes anybody think this set will be?

• Upvote 2