Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Parliament speaker meets US counterpart in Washington

yota691

A "secret" visit ... Jubouri leaves for US !!

13-11-2017 01:00 PM
Readers
image.php?token=e92453c033a11f4511b8daa282c86c93&size=

Baghdad News -

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - Parliament Speaker Salim al-Jubouri left Baghdad on Thursday for a two-day official visit to the United States.

Jabouri is scheduled to meet US Secretary of State Paul Ryan and US administration officials to discuss the situation in Iraq, the region and issues of mutual concern.

Al-Jubouri will hold a number of lectures at US institutes and research centers to shed light on the political situation in Iraq and the challenges that threaten the security and stability of the region.

• Upvote 3

Saleem-1.jpg

The Speaker of the House of Representatives heads to the United States for an official visit

Speaker of the House of Representatives Dr. Salim al-Jubouri left Baghdad on Monday for a two-day official visit to the United States.

He is scheduled to meet US House Speaker Paul Ryan and US administration officials to discuss the situation in Iraq, the region and issues of common concern.

The Speaker of the House of Representatives will also give a number of lectures at US institutes and research centers to shed light on the political situation in Iraq and the challenges that threaten the security and stability of the region.

information Office

To the Speaker of the Iraqi Council of Representatives

13/11/2017

http://ar.parliament.iq/2017/11/13/رئيس-مجلس-النواب-يتوجه-الى-الولايات-ال/

• Upvote 2

• yota691 changed the title to The Speaker of the House of Representatives heads to the United States for an official visit
5 minutes ago, Butifldrm said:

He is scheduled to meet US House Speaker Paul Ryan and US administration officials to discuss the situation in Iraq, the region and issues of common concern.

I know an "issue" that is of common concern. How 'bout the value of Iraq currency ?? And while they're at it, how about you get those GOI clowns together and do 'something, anything' that will benefit the poor citizens as they head into a harsh winter. Maybe start by meeting more than once a month. Just sayin'.

;)

• Upvote 1

Middle East

Iraqi Parliamentary Speaker flies to US to discuss future of Sunnis in post-IS Iraq

Sangar Ali Sangar Ali |
4 hours ago

Share share

Iraqi Parliamentary Speaker flies to US to discuss future of Sunnis in post-IS Iraq
Speaker of the Iraqi Parliament, Salim al-Jabouri delivers a speech during a press conference in Baghdad, Iraq on November 26, 2016. (Photo: Murtadha Sudani / Anadolu Agency)

ERBIL, Kurdistan Region (Kurdistan 24) – Iraqi Parliamentary Speaker Salim al-Jabouri on Monday traveled to the United States to discuss the future of Iraq in general and the Sunni population in particular in a post-Islamic State (IS) Iraq.

Jabouri is a senior Sunni Arab leader from Diyala Province. His visit to the US came after the Vice-President of Iraq, Osama al-Nujaifi, who is also a Sunni official, held a series of talks in Washington DC a few days ago.

During his meeting with senior US officials, Nujaifi discussed the Sunni population's situation in Iraq since the fall of Saddam, criticized Iran's role and influence in the country, and called for the Shia Hashd al-Shaabi militias, also known as the Popular Mobilization Forces (PMF) to be folded into the Iraqi armed forces.

The office of the Iraqi Parliament in a statement said that Jabouri left Monday for the United States “on an official visit that would last several days.”

Jabouri is expected to meet US House Speaker Paul Ryan and other administration officials to address the situation in Iraq, according to his press office.

The statement also added that Jabouri would hold seminars and panels at US institutes and research centers to further explain the political and security situation in the country.

Jabouri and Nujaifi are among the most prominent Sunni leaders in Iraq. Both belong to the same political entity but are competing to represent the Sunni community.

Awatif Ne’ma, an Iraqi Shia lawmaker from the former Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki's bloc, accused Nujaifi’s visit to Washington DC of “sparking sectarian sedition.”

Nujaifi, who is from Mosul, during his visit to Washington DC last week, called on the US administration to arm Sunnis in Iraq.

Sunni officials ramping up their visits to Washington DC coincides with the war against the Islamic State (IS) coming to an end after nearly three years of heavy combat. Iraq is also planning to hold elections in spring 2018.

Sunnis have greatly suffered in Iraq after the fall of the former dictatorial regime in 2003. They repeatedly accuse the Iraqi Shia-led government of marginalizing and excluding Sunnis from taking part in ruling the country.

Editing by Nadia Riva

http://www.kurdistan24.net/en/news/799ace04-7b92-4195-ae78-f3f2626642a8

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, yota691 said:

Jabouri is scheduled to meet US Secretary of State Paul Ryan and US administration officials to discuss the situation in Iraq, the region and issues of mutual concern.

37 minutes ago, Half Crazy Runner said:

??? 😜

Yeah, I hear You, Half Crazy Runner, and The Best Of Your Monday To You! :tiphat:

I suspect ole Jabouri would much rather speak with Paul Ryan in a US Secretary of State capacity rather than ole T Rex who just may invite Mad Dog Mattis for the meetin'!!!

:o       :o       :o

Go Moola Nova!

:pirateship:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

WTF ! He was just there - :facepalm:  it's just not Iraq: the governments all over the world 🌎 are ALL JACKED UP......is it any small wonder the World is in a World of Shiite ? F*^K NO ! 

Morons, Mutant Screw Heads & Career Criminals run the damn show and all we can do is strap in tight on the Monster Roller Coaster of Doom  :D  Eeeesh 

• Upvote 2

You cant trust jabouri.. when he first took office i thought he was a go getter and it turns out he was a member of the muslim brotherhood that he supposedly now denounces and joined a new party. He has made way to many trips to iran than any sunni i have ever seen. When nujafi was the head of parliament you never saw him go to iran. Allawi cant stand iran and neither can most in the goi except the shia and shiite led coalitions. Jabouri, as far as im concerned, is helping the shiite's in the questioning of abadi's cabinet members in an effort to stall the government or get his ministers ousted. He will probably end up speaking to the brooking's institute which they usually do because its a way to have their ego stroked. As far as meeting with ryan i think the big concern with the house and senate is the fact that baghdad went after the sunni's and kurds with weaponry that we gave to iraq. Remember the arms we have given them since mosul fell has been done by an mou. Iraq has not paid for the equipment yet, and the popular crowd is not suppose to be using the equipment in the first place. They have probably violated the rules of the mou, and im sure that members of the congress would like some answers. I would not be surprised if abadi doesnt end up making a trip to the u.s. or for the u.s. to make another surprise visit again. ;)

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, mylilpony said:

You cant trust jabouri.. when he first took office i thought he was a go getter and it turns out he was a member of the muslim brotherhood that he supposedly now denounces and joined a new party. He has made way to many trips to iran than any sunni i have ever seen. When nujafi was the head of parliament you never saw him go to iran. Allawi cant stand iran and neither can most in the goi except the shia and shiite led coalitions. Jabouri, as far as im concerned, is helping the shiite's in the questioning of abadi's cabinet members in an effort to stall the government or get his ministers ousted. He will probably end up speaking to the brooking's institute which they usually do because its a way to have their ego stroked. As far as meeting with ryan i think the big concern with the house and senate is the fact that baghdad went after the sunni's and kurds with weaponry that we gave to iraq. Remember the arms we have given them since mosul fell has been done by an mou. Iraq has not paid for the equipment yet, and the popular crowd is not suppose to be using the equipment in the first place. They have probably violated the rules of the mou, and im sure that members of the congress would like some answers. I would not be surprised if abadi doesnt end up making a trip to the u.s. or for the u.s. to make another surprise visit again. ;)

I really appreciate Your posts and comments MyLilPony! The Best Of Your Evening To You! :tiphat:

Here is an article I posted earlier that shows Salim al-Jabouri has dual citizenship with Qatar. 

If You care to share and in Your opinion, could Salim al-Jabouri's interests be compromised with having Qatari dual citizenship? I am wondering if there will be any influence on Salim al-Jabouri when he visits the US for either relinquishing his Qatari citizenship and ties or being influenced to influence Qatari issues away from the recently noted Qatari terrorism ties to bring about a sustainable Qatari accord with regional countries and the US?

Overall, past history seems to support Salim al-Jabouri's interests in Iraq but this Qatari dual citizenship may compromise his role in Iraq.

Go Moola Nova!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Synopsis said:

I really appreciate Your posts and comments MyLilPony! The Best Of Your Evening To You! :tiphat:

Here is an article I posted earlier that shows Salim al-Jabouri has dual citizenship with Qatar. 

If You care to share and in Your opinion, could Salim al-Jabouri's interests be compromised with having Qatari dual citizenship? I am wondering if there will be any influence on Salim al-Jabouri when he visits the US for either relinquishing his Qatari citizenship and ties or being influenced to influence Qatari issues away from the recently noted Qatari terrorism ties to bring about a sustainable Qatari accord with regional countries and the US?

Overall, past history seems to support system" rel="">support Salim al-Jabouri's interests in Iraq but this Qatari dual citizenship may compromise his role in Iraq.

Go Moola Nova!

Yes i agree totally that he is compromised and im sure he is going to get a talking to about his association with qatar. Could he be used to help the qatari issue? Maybe but honestly i dont think he has that much clout. They are looking for bigger fish to help with that matter and I think that is why we saw sadr go to saudi arabia. Could sadr be the go between maybe, but really i think we will probably see the kuwaiti's play a bigger role in all of this. After all they are in charge of all the money so far for the reconstruction and we all know that he who holds the pot gets the gold. Tillerson has a plan and i havent seen enough articles yet to quite figure all of it out yet, but i really do feel that its coming to a head. Now that the Asia trip is over im looking for Tillerson to play a more hands on role with iraq now. They keep talking in the articles that they are concerned for the elections because of the popular crowd , and now we have all the issues with lebanon. Im getting the feeling that something is coming down the pipe in regards to iran and their schemes and it has to do with lebanon and the rocket they fired from yemen that the saud's shot down. New sanctions are coming for iran very soon here but i got a weird feeling that the u.s. is planning more strikes in lebanon, libya, and yemen because they are not only after isis they are after the yemeni rebels that iran is supporting..When you finally start hitting them hard it takes alot of money to sustain them and with new sanctions coming they arent going to handle that very well. I think that trump gave putin a heads up as to what is coming, or maybe i should say a warning as to what is coming because if you notice trump pivots from north korea to iran and now they are starting to mention syria. So the chess pieces are moving again, and qatar has a lot to do with that. The flow of money if being disrupted and its got them having to transfer money the old way which is just as easy to catch and they cant transfer it fast enough. Putin can only sustain syria for so long along with their other quests in crimea, etc. That is why everyone is watching the bitcoin so much because many believe that the north korea, iran, russia, etc are using the bitcoin to do their dirty work because they think that its not as easily traced, but they just had on fox business the other day that they are considering putting the bitcoin on a cme platform (lmao), which will make it traceable and trackable. Ya gotta give manuchin some credit for that one!!

Sorry i got a lil off track there, i guess i needed a brain dump, lol..but sometimes when we only look at iraq we miss what happens around their borders and that has just as much to do with the security as their army does. A countries currency is their security and if you cant have good relations with your neighbors or if some of your neighbors have evil plans for you then their security is in threat and i dont mean just the borders. Another big thing we have to watch is for is whether the popular crowd members start to leave and become citizens because they may well try to make a political bloc and try to run in the elections. We need that new election law amendment because it just may have in it that anyone from the army that resigns has to wait x amount of time  before they can go into a political career. Dunno will have to watch that one. Im hoping that they have something in the news about jabour's visit but if they dont im sure that the brookings institute will have something on their website. Hope that helps, and thanks for all your input.. ;)

• Upvote 4

22 minutes ago, mylilpony said:

Sorry i got a lil off track there, i guess i needed a brain dump, lol..

Oh, NO, MyLilPony - don't You be sorry about Your Brain Dump(s)!!! :twothumbs:   :twothumbs:   :twothumbs:

Your comments are very, very insightful and very, very appreciated!!! :tiphat:

Thank You!!!

Go Moola Nova!

23 hours ago, mylilpony said:

Yes i agree totally that he is compromised and im sure he is going to get a talking to about his association with qatar. Could he be used to help the qatari issue? Maybe but honestly i dont think he has that much clout. They are looking for bigger fish to help with that matter and I think that is why we saw sadr go to saudi arabia. Could sadr be the go between maybe, bu

If I knew you better, I'd say brain dumps can be correlated to bad weather. Lots said there and lots to agree with. Keep in mind the elections are coming and we'll see lots of visits from the Iraqi contingent here in the U.S. to drum up support for their campaign. Jubouri will definitely need to be a Sunni candidate regardless if he wants to run or not. What we'll see in the U.S. visits is election candidates seeking our approval to support their position(s). Expect Kurds, Sunni, and Shia alike (not sure what Abadi has planned) to figure out the US position on the Kurds, PMU, and like the windy LilPony said, on Iran. What really makes it dicey is Saudi becoming conformist to a Trump plan, Turkey being a loose canon and the power struggle in the Kurdistan region between the Barzani heirs. 

LilPony - have you seen the condolences Masoud Barzani has sent to Suleimani for his father's passing ... calling him "Dear Brother"????? Has the man lost it?

Then their's oil to discuss in the U.S.; Iraq is aligning with OPEC on production. And now it looks like Shell is unhappy with Iraq operations which can be an indication the IOC contract model is flawed. Regardless another big talking point with whoever will listen to Iraqi delegates in the U.S.

Next to discuss is economics. Lots going on with Baghdad paying salaries direct to Kurdish State workers. This could generate alot of support for Abadi among the Kurds. But then there's the Central Bank calling on in-country banks not to sell foreign currency to Kurdish based banks; this sounds like something only Maliki could come up with. If this is enforced, then the USD auctions would be off limits to the Kurd banks. 

So much going on. But I can't concur more that Iran is a Iraq & world problem. 

5 minutes ago, SynTurf said:

If I knew you better, I'd say brain dumps can be correlated to bad weather. Lots said there and lots to agree with. Keep in mind the elections are coming and we'll see lots of visits from the Iraqi contingent here in the U.S. to drum up support system" rel="">support for their campaign. Jubouri will definitely need to be a Sunni candidate regardless if he wants to run or not. What we'll see in the U.S. visits is election candidates seeking our approval to support system" rel="">support their position(s). Expect Kurds, Sunni, and Shia alike (not sure what Abadi has planned) to figure out the US position on the Kurds, PMU, and like the windy LilPony said, on Iran. What really makes it dicey is Saudi becoming conformist to a Trump plan, Turkey being a loose canon and the power struggle in the Kurdistan region between the Barzani heirs. 

LilPony - have you seen the condolences Masoud Barzani has sent to Suleimani for his father's passing ... calling him "Dear Brother"????? Has the man lost it?

Then their's oil to discuss in the U.S.; Iraq is aligning with OPEC on production. And now it looks like Shell is unhappy with Iraq operations which can be an indication the IOC contract model is flawed. Regardless another big talking point with whoever will listen to Iraqi delegates in the U.S.

Next to discuss is economics. Lots going on with Baghdad paying salaries direct to Kurdish State workers. This could generate alot of support system" rel="">support for Abadi among the Kurds. But then there's the Central Bank calling on in-country banks not to sell foreign currency to Kurdish based banks; this sounds like something only Maliki could come up with. If this is enforced, then the USD auctions would be off limits to the Kurd banks. 

So much going on. But I can't concur more that Iran is a Iraq & world problem. 

Thanks for the heads up with the weather. lol

This part here: LilPony - have you seen the condolences Masoud Barzani has sent to Suleimani for his father's passing ... calling him "Dear Brother"????? Has the man lost it?

Nope he hasnt lost it, he's playing his cards so the u.s. can see it. He feels very betrayed by the u.s. and congress is stepping in because of it. Barzani is not a stupid man. He played that referendum because like he said in his speeches that came out recently in articles and that was he knew that abadi and the pmu were coming for the disputed areas and that they would do it by force if necessary. So there was never going to be any negotiations by baghdad to begin with. So really he had nothing to lose with the referendum. Remember that the kurds are very prideful people and they have waited decades for a place to call their own or to be treated with more respect than they have been. I agree with your assessments that we are going to see many in the u.s. pushing their agenda, but i think jabouri wants in the goi more than the u.s wants him there. The saudi's arent to keen with the guy because of his relationship with qatar, but how it all plays out is anyone's guess. Let the chess games begin. 

check out the new 2nd amendment to the cbi law that was passed today and the un convention on arbitration. lmao...we have had many discussions about those ones. Oh..isnt it past your bed time. ;)

• Upvote 1

• yota691 changed the title to Parliament speaker meets US counterpart in Washington