Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Masoum calls for delaying the adoption of the Personal Status Law and the completion of late legislation

Butifldrm

Draft law legalizing marriage of 9-year-olds in Iraq draws UN ire

By Rudaw 21 hours ago 
1652Views

Draft law legalizing marriage of 9-year-olds in Iraq draws UN ire
A schoolgirl passes a banner promoting the Jaafari Personal Status law in 2014. The banner states that the law "saves my rights and my dignity." File photo: Karim Kadim/AP
ERBIL, Kurdistan Region – The United Nations in Iraq has criticized a draft Iraqi law that would allow girls as young as nine years old to be married and has asked for wider consultations in order to ensure women’s rights are fully respected and protected.

“I call upon the Council of Representatives to seize this opportunity of the process to amend the Personal Status Law," said Jan Kubis, the special representative to Iraq of the UN Secretary-General through a statement on Thursday.

The draft, based on the Jaafari school of Shiite religious jurisprudence, is again on the table for Iraqi lawmakers. The House of Representatives voted “in principle” on Nov. 1 to approve amendments which could allow girls as young as 9 to marry. 

If passed, the law would only apply to the country's Shiite citizens and residents.

Versions of the bill, which was also proposed in 2014, have included provisions that prohibit Muslim men from marrying non-Muslims, legalize marital rape by stating that a husband is entitled to have sex regardless of his wife’s consent, and prevent women from leaving the house without permission from their husbands, according to Human Rights Watch.

Kubis called upon the Council of Representatives to "conduct a wider consultation on the draft amendments in a participatory manner to recommit to and ensure the full respect, protection and fulfillment of women and girls’ rights in Iraq in relation to matrimonial and other matters."

The suggested changes could violate child protections enshrined in the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child. The 1994 treaty defines a child as any human being under the age of 18 unless the age of majority is decided through national legislation. Iraq is a signatory of the Convention. 

Women’s rights campaigners have protested the law, including Yezidi victims of ISIS. Others have complained that this is the Iraq the world wants Kurdistan to remain a part of. 

UNAMI said it was the public outcry that spurred its statement. 

The Kurdistan Region’s Women’s Affairs department has worked with the United Nations to combat child marriage

http://www.rudaw.net/mobile/english/middleeast/iraq/091120173

• Upvote 2

Forget about passing the VERY REAL & IMPORTANT . . . WE gotta push legalizing marriage of 9 year girls to the front if the line !

I can't express adequately my revulsion of this  - but I can begin with - PURE EVIL ! . . . for an opener. . . made me sick to my stomach. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 9

11 hours ago, 10 YEARS LATER said:

Forget about passing the VERY REAL & IMPORTANT . . . WE gotta push legalizing marriage of 9 year girls to the front if the line !

I can't express adequately my revulsion of this  - but I can begin with - PURE EVIL ! . . . for an opener. . . made me sick to my stomach. 

Me too! 

• Upvote 4

11 hours ago, 10 YEARS LATER said:

10YL,  2nd that motion...👍👍.....Really sad indeed.

• Upvote 5

23 minutes ago, tigergorzow said:

10YL,  2nd that motion...👍👍.....Really sad indeed.

Too right . . . I told my wife about this and her EYES GOT REAL BIG & her face turned Scarlett. Even the description of Disgusting doesn't due service to tho issue

• Upvote 5

CHILD RAPE IS CHILD RAPE !!!  Passing a law so the CHILD RAPISTS  can save their dignity ... arrgh. Bleeping stinking sick. Sick and demented. Kind of tells me these poor excuses for men already know their perverted thoughts and actions are wrong. It sounds like the kind of club RAPE atmosphere that the Harvy Weinsteins, Louis CK , Bill and Hillarious types would all like to join. They probably would join if they became Shittes. Sick ... perverts. If they pass this law yet another reason I would exchange all my IQD one it hits a good rate.

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, new york kevin said:

CHILD RAPE IS CHILD RAPE !!!  Passing a law so the CHILD RAPISTS  can save their dignity ... arrgh. Bleeping stinking sick. Sick and demented. Kind of tells me these poor excuses for men already know their perverted thoughts and actions are wrong. It sounds like the kind of club RAPE atmosphere that the Harvy Weinsteins, Louis CK , Bill and Hillarious types would all like to join. They probably would join if they became Shittes. Sick ... perverts. If they pass this law yet another reason I would exchange all my IQD one it hits a good rate.

1 hour ago, boosterbglee said:

Another good reason to cash in and wash my hands of these filthy pigs!

If I wasn't already invested ....

Oh what a world! 

This makes me so sad for the innocent children.... filthy, filthy evil thinking people. Anyone tak8ng part in this should be shot and hung by their b***s for all to see!! WH

• Upvote 8

Let's think on this one a moment.

I know and everyone else knows in the civilised world that a child, especially under 10 years of age, to be married to a man much older than her is sick and disgusting.  I know the muslim talking points on this topic because it has been widely debated. If we were to explore where we find this law in the Islamic culture we do not have to venture too far from the Hadiths. What is new to me is that Aisha, "the mother of Islam", is said to have been married to their so-called prophet at the tender age of six and her marriage, not new to me, consummated at the ripe old age of nine, although some say eight. Now the KSA, after 9-11, when this first gained steam removed from online sources this passage in the Hadiths. For the longest time you could find the verse that Aisha had her marriage consummated but what was missing was her age. Why? To appeal to the Western female, they removed Aisha's age. The goal for a male muslim is to marry, or take as spoils of war, a female non-muslim, convert her faith to Islam and bear children, with her, to become muslims. If there was credible evidence, such as the Hadiths, from credible Islamic scholars making the tradition strong, then when these Western women got wind of it, they were usually put off. Ironic because there are so many other things in the Quran and Hadiths that can put women off, like the verse on beating. The mullahs and sheikhs say to beat them, their wives, lightly with a toothbrush, or toothpick.. However, a book was written by a muslim, whom subsequently went to jail,  in Spain around the year 2000 on beating your wife correctly in order to not leave a mark on her from their effort. Or the shiekh, around the year 2000, in Iran who said it is perfectly fine to sleep with an infant. Or the passage in the Quran where women are "tilth" and men can go sow the land as they see fit. Or the clause where a woman is one-fourth of a witness to a man. Or even the inheritance law where again she gets less than her male children. I digress. The point of the matter is that muslims are to model their lives after their so-called prophet and if he could marry and consummate the marriage with Aisha at the age of 9, so could his followers even to this day. While this is labeled primitive, followers of their so-called prophet continue this tradition today and it's not the only tradition carried forth from the Seventh Century. The Dome of the Rock remains in muslim hands because they believe it's where their so-called prophet ascended to heaven to speak with their god and get the number of times they pray each day. Or how to divorce your wife, all you have to do is say "I divorce you" three times. Or mutah marriages. Think about that one you have to marry the prostitute before you can sleep with her, then say I divorce you three times. Imagine if that was done in America today? Prostitutes would only need one wealthy Senator or movie star and they would be set for life! A man, and only a man, can marry a 9 year old. A woman could not marry a nine year old male. Women claim to have rights under the umbrella of Islam and when that umbrella is lifted, the truth springs forth. 

Muslims will counter the above dialogue with: It was legal for people in America to be married at a young age. And they are right except, America has evolved and adapted and the tradition is no longer practiced except in rare cases with parental permission. Even then, most laws limit that age to thirteen or fourteen. The discussion will proceed to the Holy Mother Mary whom researchers, Christian and non-Christian alike, believe she was fourteen when she was impregnated by the breathe of the Holy Spirit. The counter to this argument is that biologically there is a great difference between a girl 9 and a girl 14. Secondly, the Holy Mother Mary's age has never been quite established even after 2,000 years. Christians put the earliest a woman may marry at the alleged age of the Holy Mother. Muslims put the age of marriage at the age of the consummation of the marriage of Aisha. While we all agree this is disgusting in either case one fact remains, Christianity and the civilised world has evolved and adapted; whereas, Islam is still stuck with the ideals and principles of the time the faith was ill-conceived and beholden to a man who thought he saw visions in the fits of epilepsy.

Edited by Theseus
  • Upvote 7

UNAMI Urges Wider Consultation on Draft Law Amending Personal Status Law to Ensure Respect and Protection of Women’s Rights [EN/AR/KU]

from UN Assistance Mission for Iraq
Published on 09 Nov 2017

Baghdad, 09 November 2017 In response to the public reaction to the draft law amending the Personal Status Law Number 188 of 1959, the United Nations Assistance Mission for Iraq (UNAMI) believes that inclusive and wide consultations over these amendments are necessary to ensure women’s rights are fully respected and protected.

Attaining equality between women and men and eliminating all forms of discrimination against women and girls are fundamental human rights and United Nations values.

Women and girls in Iraq have suffered violations of their basic human rights and violence in armed conflict, in particular under the terrorist group Daesh. They aspire that the realization of their rights should be prioritized with a view to achieving equality with men. This requires a comprehensive understanding of legal and judicial remedies that sometimes hinder the realization of this equality. There is also a dire need for legal and institutional strategies to eliminate discrimination against women and girls.

“I call upon the Council of Representatives to seize this opportunity of the process to amend the Personal Status Law, repeatedly criticized by the United Nations treaty bodies, and conduct a wider consultation on the draft amendments in a participatory manner to recommit to and ensure the full respect, protection and fulfillment of women and girls’ rights in Iraq in relation to matrimonial and other matters,” Special Representative of the Secretary-General for Iraq Ján Kubiš said.

UNAMI Urges Wider Consultation on Draft Law Amending Personal Status Law to Ensure Respect and Protection of Women’s Rights Baghdad, 09 November 2017 – In response to the public reaction to the draft law amending the Personal Status Law Number 188 of 1959, the United Nations Assistance Mission for Iraq (UNAMI) believes that inclusive and wide consultations over these amendments are necessary to ensure women’s rights are fully respected and protected. Attaining equality between women and men and eliminating all forms of discrimination against women and girls are fundamental human rights and United Nations values. Women and girls in Iraq have suffered violations of their basic human rights and violence in armed conflict, in particular under the terrorist group Daesh. They aspire that the realization of their rights should be prioritized with a view to achieving equality with men. This requires a comprehensive understanding of legal and judicial remedies that sometimes hinder the realization of this equality. There is also a dire need for legal and institutional strategies to eliminate discrimination against women and girls. “I call upon the Council of Representatives to seize this opportunity of the process to amend the Personal Status Law, repeatedly criticized by the United Nations treaty bodies, and conduct a wider consultation on the draft amendments in a participatory manner to recommit to and ensure the full respect, protection and fulfillment of women and girls’ rights in Iraq in relation to matrimonial and other matters,” Special Representative of the Secretary-General for Iraq Ján Kubiš said.

https://reliefweb.int/report/iraq/unami-urges-wider-consultation-draft-law-amending-personal-status-law-ensure-respect-and

• Upvote 1

ACTIVISTS PROTEST DRAFT LAW TO AMEND IRAQI PERSONAL STATUS LAW

Activists protest draft law to amend Iraqi Personal Status Law
Member of the Iraqi parliament, Rezan Sheikh Dler

8 hours ago

SULAIMANI – A number of civil society organizations and women activists in Sulaimani gathered on Sunday (November 12) in protest of amending the Iraqi Personal Status Law and measures to affect women and girls’ matrimonial matters.

The protesters read a statement to the public cautioning the Iraqi parliament that amendments to this law will go against attempts to attain equality between men and women and against laws ratified by the constitution [specifically Article 14 which states that all Iraqis are equal before the law and forbids any discrimination based on gender, race, religious, sect, etc.]

The Iraqi Personal Status Law 188 of 1959 is an amalgamation of liberal Islamic rules as well as some divergences. It restricts child marriages (by setting the legal age of marriage at 18 years), bans forced marriages and restricts polygamy; it curtails men’s prerogatives in divorce, expands women’s rights in divorce, extends child custody to mothers, and improves inheritance rights for women.

It remains one of the most liberal laws in the Arab world with respect to women’s rights. Moreover, the law is meant to be applied across all social and sectarian groups on Iraq. It does not differentiate between the various religious communities and thus sustains social and communal coexistence and national unity.

Since 1959, the Iraqi personal status law has been opposed by many religious leaders, who believe that it contradicts Islamic Shari’a Law. They object to the standardization of personal status laws to cover all sectarian communities. They consider that personal status matters should be dealt with by clerics and not civil servants.

The draft law, called the Jaafari Personal Status Law, is based on the principles of the Jaafari school of Shia religious jurisprudence, founded by Imam Jaafar al-Sadiq, the sixth Shia imam. Approved by the Council of Ministers on February 25, 2014, it must now be approved by the parliament to amend the Personal Status Law.

The Jaafari law proposes to reduce the legal age of marriage for girls from the current 15, to 9 years old. It makes the father the only family member that can accept or deny a marriage request, leaving the mother powerless to stop the union. The law would also legalize marital rape by stating that a husband is entitled to marital sex with or without the wife's consent.

“Kurdish blocs in the Iraqi parliament are against the amendment of the law, considering it a unilateral decision that has been imposed by Shiite lawmakers against others,” said a Kurdish member of the Iraqi parliament, Rezan Sheikh Dler.

If amended, the Personal Status Law will no longer remain in effect, she added.

Rezan said that Kurdish blocs in the Iraqi parliament have called on international rights advocacy organizations to condemn the amendment of the law and prevent its second reading to take place.

Earlier on Nov. 9, the United Nations urged the Iraqi government to “conduct a wider consultation on the draft amendments in a participatory manner to recommit to and ensure the full respect, protection and fulfillment of women and girls’ rights in Iraq in relation to matrimonial and other matters.”

(NRT)

http://www.nrttv.com/en/Details.aspx?Jimare=17475

• Upvote 1

“Minors marriage law is moral support for ISIS thought “

12.11.2017 12:45   News, Women

BERUT-DAXUYANIYA-JINAN-620x364.jpg

BEIRUT – The Kongra Star in Lebanon has condemned the amendment in the Personal Status Law to allow the minors marriage, saying that this is a flagrant violation of the child ‘s rights and a consecration of violent and harmful practices. On behalf of all women, decisions that are considered a blow to law and justice.

A number of Kongra Star members in Lebanon, a statement was released to the public at the Kongra Star’s headquarter in Beirut read by Hadiya Hassan.

The text of the statement:

“As if all the crises and disasters experienced by women every day of killing, abuse, rape, and many violations were not enough to face a new calamity unanticipated by any, to hit all the laws and divine norms and humanitarian and international norms. As what is happening in the Iraqi capital Baghdad recently has hit the women under the name of amending the personal status law in Iraq by allowing the minors marriage, which is a moral and spiritual support for thought and mental appeal to the women’s right and back to the painful and black ages experienced by women.

We regret this amendment, as we find a flagrant violation of the child’s rights and the consecration of violent and harmful practices, which expose the victims of this marriage to psychological and physical dangers. Such decisions come to appease the legal and sectarian courts, and undermine the law and the judiciary.

On behalf of all the women at the Kongra Star in Lebanon, we condemn these violations and declare that we stand by all Iraqi women’s organizations. We say that all women’s decisions must go back to women themselves, and if we cannot, we will always be at the mercy of male minds. “We support all civil institutions working to draft a law that sets the age of marriage in accordance with international standards and children’s rights.

The Iraqi parliament has approved on the first of the November of a proposed law allowing the minors marriage, which has spread a state of discontent among women’s organizations inside and outside Iraq, which they have considered a violation of the children rights and the desecration of human morality.

H.H

ANHA

http://en.hawarnews.com/minors-marriage-law-is-moral-support-for-isis-thought/

• Upvote 1

Kurdistan Parliament Rejects Iraqi Shi’ite Draft Law that Allows Child Marriage

Basnews English

09/11/2017 - 21:32

Kurdistan Parliament Rejects Iraqi Shi’ite Draft Law that Allows Child Marriage

ERBIL — Kurdistan Region Parliament has rejected the draft law by Iraqi Shi’ite factions to amend the Personal Status Law in Iraq, saying it allows child marriage and is against the women’s rights.

“The draft law allows the marriage of even 9-years-old girls, which is obviously against the internationally-recognised women’s and children’s rights,” said MP Fairooza Taha, Deputy Head of Kurdistan Parliamentary Committee for Human Rights.

She, however, made it clear that such decisions made by the Iraqi parliament are not enforceable in the Kurdistan Region due to the fact that Kurds have their own government and parliament to legislate and enforce laws.

Earlier the day, the United Nations Assistance Mission to Iraq (UNAMI) expressed concern over the draft law amending the Personal Status Law Number 188 of 1959, saying that “inclusive and wide consultations over these amendments are necessary to ensure that women’s rights are fully respected and protected”.

“I call upon the Council of Representatives to seize this opportunity of the process to amend the Personal Status Law, repeatedly criticized by the United Nations treaty bodies, and conduct a wider consultation on the draft amendments in a participatory manner to recommit to and ensure the full respect, protection and fulfillment of women and girls’ rights in Iraq in relation to matrimonial and other matters,” Special Representative of the Secretary-General for Iraq Ján Kubiš said.

http://www.basnews.com/index.php/en/news/kurdistan/391783

• Upvote 4

Activists warn that proposal to amend legislation would set women’s rights back 50 years, allowing Muslim clerics to decide on marriage contracts

Karen McVeigh

Tuesday 14 November 2017 13.47 GMT

3408.jpg?w=700&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&s=02e0bb42bd0e12838088983ec1934c87
Pupils at a bullet-riddled school in West Mosul, Iraq. An earlier, more extreme version of the bill provoked international outrage when it was proposed in 2014
Photograph: Noe Falk Nielsen/NurPhoto/Getty Images

• Upvote 1

France mulls new law on sexual consent after men acquitted of raping 11-year-olds

France could introduce a law to rule that anyone aged under 13 is automatically considered unable to consent to sex after a 28-year-old man was acquitted of raping an 11-year-old because the relations were deemed consensual.
Though it is already illegal in France to have sex with someone aged under 15 rape charges are only brought if prosecutors can prove it was non-consensual. 

Currently there is no legal minimum age below which it is presumed in law that a child cannot give consent, which would then automatically bring about rape charges.

But equalities minister Marléne Schiappa wants a legal minimum age set which she said could be 13 or 15-years-old.

"The law will mean that 'below a certain age, there can be no debate, ever, on the sexual consent of a child, and that any child below a certain age would automatically be considered as raped or sexually assaulted'," Schiappa said. 

Schiappa was speaking out after two recent cases in France hprovoked shock and outrage and highlighted a need to change the laws.

Last week a French man was acquitted of rape after a jury found no evidence that he forced an 11-year-old girl into having sex.

The jurors at the criminal court in the Seine-et-Marne district outside Paris ruled on Tuesday after two days of trial hearings that the elements that
constitute rape such as "coercion, threat, violence and surprise were not established", said public prosecutor Dominique Laurens.

And recently the decision made by a French court to acquit a 28-year-old man after prosecutors deemed that his sexual relationship with an 11-year-old was consensual sparked shock and anger across the country. 

At the man's suggestion, the girl is understood to have agreed to follow him home from a park in Montmagny, to the north of Paris.

He had reportedly promised to teach her how to kiss. But once at the apartment the man had sexual relations with the girl.

The girl's family and legal team were insistent that the man should face rape charges, saying the girl was "paralyzed" by fear and "unable to defend herself".

But to their anger and to the shock of many in France prosecutors decided to only charge the man with sexual abuse of a minor (atteinte sexuel).

Their reasoning was that “there was no violence, no constraint, no threat, and no surprise" on the part of the man to justify the charge of rape.

Essentially they judged that she had consented to the sexual encounter because she was not physically forced into the act.

Following the case children's rights group Le Voix de l'Enfant said in a statement: “The question of consent or its absence should never even be asked when it comes to rape victims who are minors”.

Other groups had also joined the call for the French legal system to introduce a legal age under which sexual consent is never presumed.

Asked about the case, Schiappa replied that "as a member of the government", she could "not react to court decisions."

Nevertheless the government envisages bringing in a new law next year that will set a minimum age of consent and if the child is under that age then any sexual relations that have taken place will automatically lead to rape or sexual assault charges.

What does the French law actually say? 

In this case, it's more about what the law doesn't say. For adults, if there is no threat or violence during a sexual act then it's deemed to be consensual. 

But this law doesn't take into account those under the age of 15, which is the legal age of consent - at least not for rape. 

The penal code says that “Committing a sexual offence against a minor under the age of 15 without violence, constraint, threat or surprise is punished by five years' imprisonment and a fine of €75,000."

And this only mentions "sexual offences" (atteinte sexuelle) and not rape, which brings much strongersentences.

In the UK, meanwhile, there is an “irrefutable presumption of an absence of consent” in all sex acts against those under the age of 16, but children under the age of 13 have additional legal protections that declare they can never consent to sexual activity.

Similar laws are in place in Germany and Spain. 
  • Upvote 1

National: The amendment of the Personal Status Law establishes the concept of discrimination based on religion and we call for its withdrawal

SECTION: SLIDE NEWSNOVEMBER 20, 2017 3:15 PM
National: The amendment of the Personal Status Law establishes the concept of discrimination based on religion and we call for its withdrawal

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - A parliamentary bloc on Monday called for withdrawing the draft amendment of the Personal Status Law from the agenda of the House of Representatives sessions, pointing out that it strengthens the concept of discrimination on the basis of religion and doctrine.

"The first amendment to the Personal Status Law No. 188 of 1959 includes a flagrant violation of human rights and the consolidation of the concept of discrimination based on religion and doctrine and violation of the entity and the rights of women at a time when everyone seeks to join efforts," said the head of the bloc, Kazem al-Shammari. In order to remove Iraq from the harsh conditions it is going through. "

He added that "the amendment represents an interference in the work of personal conditions, which threatens the independence of the judiciary and violates the provisions of Article 47 and Article 19 of the Constitution. The international conventions, including the Convention on the Rights of the Child, the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women, During the discrimination because of sex and color, and it is well known to everyone that the law in force No. 188 of 1959 did not differ on the content of Iraqis in the drafting of the texts and was representative of all Iraqis and the most justice to ensure the stability of society.

Al-Shammari called the presidency of the House of Representatives to "withdraw the law from the agenda after not voting on it and focus on its next meetings to discuss the important laws that benefit the interest of the Iraqi people away from political disputes."

http://www.albaghdadiyanews.com/?p=77805

• Upvote 1

Home | Iraq

Deputy: Parliament will take some proposals to amend the Personal Status Law, not most of them

26/11/2017 02:34 | Number of readings:
font size: Decrease font Enlarge font
Deputy: Parliament will take some proposals to amend the Personal Status Law, not most of them

Trend Press / Continue

MP of the National Alliance Abbas al-Bayati, that the parliament will take some proposals to amend the draft personal status law, not most of them.

Al-Bayati said in a press statement that "the proposed amendment to the draft personal status law was not officially presented at the table of meetings of the parliamentary committees so far.

"Current criticisms and objections to the law will be discussed at future meetings," he said.

He added that "the parliament will consider the proposals and amendments proposed to take some, not most of them," noting that "the overall law and

proposal amendment is not wrong, but some paragraphs should be addressed."

http://aletejahtv.org/permalink/193379.html

The House of Representatives voted in principle at the beginning of this month on the proposed law amending the draft personal status law. Article 41 of the Constitution states that "Iraqis are free to abide by their personal conditions, according to their religions, sects, beliefs or choices."

http://aletejahtv.org/permalink/193379.html

Disclosure of a proposed new law allowing polygamy

SECTION: LOCALDECEMBER 1, 2017 | 12:07 PM

Baghdad / Baghdadiya News / ... MP on the Alliance of Forces Jamila Obeidi, on Friday, the proposal of a new law allowing polygamy, while referring to the conditions.

"We have in the House of Representatives a proposal to amend the Personal Status Law Article 4 and 5, which is the law of polygamy," she said in a video clip of the social networking sites and his follower, Baghdadiya News.

"The marriage of the widow and divorcee, which is more than 30 years, is her marriage without the consent of the first wife, and only her media, in addition to the grant of the husband a sum of 5 million," she said.

On the second amendment to the Personal Status Law, Jumaili said, "It is not permissible, in many ways, to open the door of hostility from several countries,

as a violation of the right to childhood."

http://www.albaghdadiyanews.com/?p=81112

• Upvote 1

• yota691 changed the title to Masoum calls for delaying the adoption of the Personal Status Law and the completion of late legislation