Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Gun control: Trump says lawmakers will discuss issue 'as time goes by'

The president was vague on plans to consider new gun laws after 59 people were killed in Las Vegas, the deadliest mass shooting in modern US history

Lauren Gambino in Washington

Tuesday 3 October 2017 18.00 BST

Vid in link

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/oct/03/donald-trump-gun-control-discuss-las-vegas

• Upvote 1

A perennial American question: why has gun control failed?

From one angle, the answer is complicated; from another, it’s devastatingly simple. Tom McCarthy on the key features of the American gun control debate

Tom McCarthy

Tuesday 3 October 2017 20.44 BST

5344.jpg?w=700&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&s=1b2e8f03f9b0e9b99c5aab6074db96ca
Barack Obama wipes away tears at a White House event on gun control. When legislation failed in 2012, a furious Obama said: ‘The gun lobby and its allies willfully lied about the bill.’
Photograph: Kevin Lamarque/Reuters

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/oct/03/gun-control-america-failed-las-vegas

• Upvote 1

Guitarist says Las Vegas concert attack changed his mind on gun control

‘I’ve been a proponent of the [second] amendment my entire life,’ said Caleb Keeter on Twitter after shooting at festival. ‘Until the events of last night’

Alan Yuhas in New York

Monday 2 October 2017 23.48 BST

2 vids in link

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/oct/02/las-vegas-gun-control-caleb-keeter-josh-abbott-band

• Upvote 1

The Founding Fathers were pretty concise on their opinions on the 2nd amendment..

https://macaulay.cuny.edu/eportfolios/libertylinks/2013/03/25/what-the-founding-fathers-said-about-the-second-amendment/

( I'll try to copy & Paste below )

I will add that the USA has the largest armed fprce population in the world....with over 100 million Gun owners who know how to use the weapons.  This Internal Army of Citizens could unite against both foreign, or a domestic threat.

Because some mentally ill moron kills..... like the guy in LV did.......does not mean you throw the baby out with the bath water.......There have been Car attacks and Planes flown into buildings......so do you ban moving vehicles and planes.....

I feel much safer living in an armed country.....at least I know I have the ability to protect myself....

as always......JMO

========================================================

The controversy about gun rights in the United States often comes down to several specific areas of dispute. One question often argued about is what the founding fathers meant by the term “militia” in the Second Amendment of the Constitution; does “militia” refer to specific needs of the local citizens of that time period, needs that are no longer relevant today, or does the term seek to protect the individual rights to bear arms of the people as a whole?

No matter your personal views on gun rights, the intent of the founding fathers is not ambiguous. There are numerous documents and records of their discussions about the Amendments to the Constitution, and I will provide a link to some quotes from these records below that should clear up this issue. Many people say that there are “different interpretations of the Second Amendment,” but there should not be, because there is nothing that needs to be interpreted when we have so many documents telling us exactly what the founding fathers meant. I believe our mistake is that the courts, and people debating this issue, tend to only look at the specific statement in the Second Amendment:

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

However, this is not all the information we have available to “interpret” the Second Amendment. Take a look at the quotes provided below, and see what conclusion you can come to yourself about what the founding fathers intended.

Quotes on the Second Amendment

The Founding Fathers on the Second Amendment

“I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.”
George Mason
Co-author of the Second Amendment
during Virginia’s Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788

“A militia, when properly formed, are in fact the people themselves …”
Richard Henry Lee
writing in Letters from the Federal Farmer to the Republic, Letter XVIII, May, 1788.

“The people are not to be disarmed of their weapons. They are left in full posession of them.”
Zachariah Johnson
Elliot’s Debates, vol. 3 “The Debates in the Several State Conventions on the Adoption of the Federal Constitution.”

“… the people are confirmed by the next article in their right to keep and bear their private arms”
Philadelphia Federal Gazette
June 18, 1789, Pg. 2, Col. 2
Article on the Bill of Rights

“And that the said Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the Press, or the rights of Conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms; …”
Samuel Adams
quoted in the Philadelphia Independent Gazetteer, August 20, 1789, “Propositions submitted to the Convention of this State”

The Founding Fathers on Arms

“The supposed quietude of a good man allures the ruffian; while on the other hand arms, like laws, discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as property. The same balance would be preserved were all the world destitute of arms, for all would be alike; but since some will not, others dare not lay them aside … Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.”
Thomas Paine

“To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.”
Richard Henry Lee
American Statesman, 1788

“The great object is that every man be armed.” and “Everyone who is able may have a gun.”
Patrick Henry
American Patriot

“Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?”
Patrick Henry
American Patriot

“The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that … it is their right and duty to be at all times armed; … ”
Thomas Jefferson
letter to Justice John Cartwright, June 5, 1824. ME 16:45.

“The best we can help for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed.”
Alexander Hamilton
The Federalist Papers at 184-8

The Founding Fathers on Maintaining Freedom

“The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution.”
Thomas Jefferson
Third President of the United States

“There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. ”
Noah Webster
American Lexicographer

“The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.”
Edmund Burke
British Statesman, 1784

“What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms.”
Thomas Jefferson
to James Madison

“They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
Ben Franklin 
American Statesman

“Whenever governments mean to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise an army upon their ruins.”

Rep. Elbridge Gerry of Massachusetts, spoken during floor debate over the Second Amendment, I Annals of Congress at 750, August 17, 1789.

*The above quotes were provided using the following websites (though not all quotes listed on these websites are correct, and I have filtered out those):

http://cap-n-ball.com/fathers.htm

http://www.constitution.org/cons/quotes01.txt

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Of course their going to attack the 2nd Amendment, every time this happens they go hard at making changes to the Constitution.  What's that saying " don't let a crisis go to waste" 

It seems that this magnitude of a crisis comes into play when we approach election time.     

Instead of taking care of the mentally ill individuals they prefer a vote.   What does this tell you, it tells you that they don't value human life. 

• Upvote 4

Have you changed your opinion on gun control?

As America reels from its deadliest mass shooting in recent history, we’d like you to share your thoughts on gun control

Guardian readers

Wednesday 4 October 2017 14.32 BST

5935.jpg?w=700&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&s=e96d7ae647b82bfd63145db7eb08e379
People gather to mourn and light candles at a makeshift memorial on South Las Vegas Boulevard near the site of the Route 91 Harvest Music Festival where Sunday’s mass shooting took place.
Photograph: Otto/ZUMA Wire/REX/Shutterstock

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/oct/04/have-you-changed-your-opinion-on-gun-control