Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Tom Petty, Rock Iconoclast Who Led The Heartbreakers, Dead At 66 !

DinarThug

CNN. Broadcasting Additional Sad News For Today !

Tom Petty, Rock Iconoclast Who Led the Heartbreakers, Dead at 66

Singer suffered cardiac arrest and was taken off life support at hospital

tom-petty-obit-prep-9e3af4bb-3241-4cfa-a

Tom Petty, the dynamic Hall of Fame frontman who led the Heartbreakers, has died. He was 66. George Rose/Getty Images

Tom Petty, the dynamic and iconoclastic frontman who led the band the Heartbreakers, died Monday. He was found unconscious, not breathing and in full cardiac arrest at his Malibu home Sunday night, according to TMZ, and rushed to the hospital and placed on life support. EMTs were able to find a pulse when they found him, but TMZ reported that the hospital found no brain activity when he arrived. A decision was made to pull life support. CBS confirmed Petty's death. He was 66.

RELATED

tom-petty-talks-tour-2017-05820117-5b9e-

Inside Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers' Last Big Tour

Behind the scenes as Petty and his band battle the elements, remember old times and celebrate a 40-year bond

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers recently completed a summer tour last Monday with three nights at the Hollywood Bowl. The trek marked the band's 40th anniversary and found him playing rarely played deep cuts like their first album's opener, "Rockin' Around (With You)," and a selection of Wildflowers cuts. It was intended to be his "last trip around the country." He told Rolling Stone, though, that it wasn't his intention to quit playing. "I need something to do, or I tend to be a nuisance around the house," he said.

In the late Seventies, Petty's romanticized tales of rebels, outcasts and refugees started climbing the pop charts. When he sang, his voice was filled with a heartfelt drama that perfectly complemented the Heartbreakers' ragged rock & roll. Songs like "The Waiting," "You Got Lucky," "I Won't Back Down," "Learning to Fly" and "Mary Jane's Last Dance" all dominated Billboard's rock chart, and the majority of Petty's albums have been certified either gold or platinum. His most recent release, Hypnotic Eye, debuted at Number One in 2014. Petty, who also recorded as a solo artist and as a member of the Traveling Wilburys and Mudcrutch, was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2002.

Thomas Earl Petty was born in Gainesville, Florida, the son of an insurance salesman, on October 20th, 1950. He quit high school at age 17 to join the southern-rock group Mudcrutch, which was taking off at the time. The group's lineup featured two musicians Petty would collaborate with for much of the next five decades, guitarist Mike Campbell and keyboardist Benmont Tench. But while the band was taking off, they broke up upon moving to Los Angeles in the early Seventies.

Petty started his career in earnest in 1975 when he cut a demo with Campbell and Tench that also featured bassist Ron Blair and drummer Stan Lynch. They called themselves the Heartbreakers and recorded their debut, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, which came out in 1976. It failed to make an impact at the time (lead single "Breakdown" didn't even chart), but they picked up heat after touring England as support for future E Street Band member Nils Lofgren. They soon became headliners on the tour, and the album topped the U.K. chart. 

The label reissued "Breakdown" in the U.S. and it reached the bottom rung of the Top 40 a year after it came out. Subsequent singles, from the group's second LP, You're Gonna Get It!, such as "Listen to Her Heart" and "I Need to Know" charted in the upper half of the pop chart. Around this time, one of Petty's most apparent influences, the Byrds' Roger McGuinn, recorded a cover of the self-titled album's closing track, "American Girl," proving Petty's ability to write hits.

But before the decade was up, Petty found himself bankrupt after the record label MCA attempted to buy out his contract from ABC Records, which disturbed Petty's original label. It took nine months of litigation for Petty to secure a new deal so he could put out the biggest record of his career, 1979's Damn the Torpedoes, which reached Number Two on the album chart and has since been certified triple-platinum. The album contained the singles "Don't Do Me Like That" and "Refugee," establishing him as a full-fledged hit maker. 

Within two years, he was able to leverage this credibility in a standoff with MCA, which wanted to charge $9.98 for the follow-up LP to Damn the Torpedoes; Petty threatened to titled it $8.98 until they backed down and released the record, which contained "The Waiting," under the name Hard Promises.

• Upvote 2

Confusion follows reports of Tom Petty death after heart attack

The rock star has been hospitalized at the age of 66 and the LAPD has now apologized for ‘inadvertently’ providing information about his death

Benjamin Lee

Monday 2 October 2017 21.20 BST

3000.jpg?w=700&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&s=97218c599c5105eeb1ecc16684bd5fd0
Tom Petty, performing in January 2016.
Photograph: Alberto E Rodriguez/Getty Images

• Upvote 1

Good Work Umbertino ! ;) 

U Deserve A Nice Calzone ! :o 

:D  :D  :D 

Rocker Tom Petty hospitalized; condition unclear

Maria Puente, USA TODAYPublished 1:08 p.m. MT Oct. 2, 2017 | Updated 3:03 p.m. MT Oct. 2, 2017

44211CONNECTTWEET 117LINKEDIN 52COMMENTEMAILMORE

Rocker Tom Petty remains hospitalized in Los Angeles after being found unconscious and in cardiac arrest at his Malibu home Sunday, the Los Angeles County Fire Department told USA TODAY.

Initial reports Monday from TMZ and CBS said Petty, 66, had died. CBS cited the Los Angeles Police Department as its source. LAPD later tweeted that this was an inadvertent mistake and that they had no investigative role in the case. Malibu is in the county of Los Angeles, not the city of Los Angeles. 

Variety also reported Petty had died, citing an anonymous source. Later, the entertainment trade paper retracted its report, also based on LAPD's "incorrect information."

TMZ initially reported that Petty had "no brain activity" when he reached the hospital and that life support was pulled. An hour later, the website reported that he was still "clinging to life" but was not expected to survive. 

Representatives for Petty did not return calls and emails requesting comment. 

Petty, who came to fame in the rock band Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, was taken to UCLA Medical Center in Santa Monica after fire department emergency medical personnel worked to revive him.

His current condition is unclear, and the hospital cited federal law on patient confidentiality for declining to either confirm or deny reports about any "potential patient."     

Petty, a grandfather, just finished a 40th-anniversary tour at the end of September , playing arenas, festivals and an occasional stadium.

"I'm thinking it may be the last trip around the country," Petty told Rolling Stone in December before the tour kicked off in April.

"It's very likely we'll keep playing, but will we take on 50 shows in one tour? I don't think so. I'd be lying if I didn't say I was thinking this might be the last big one. We're all on the backside of our 60s. I have a granddaughter now I'd like to see as much as I can.

"I don't want to spend my life on the road. This tour will take me away for four months. With a little kid, that's a lot of time."

His last tweet, on Sept. 29, thanked fans for supporting the tour.

"Thanks to everyone for supporting us for the last 40 years! Without YOU, there'd be no US!," he posted. 

Petty, who grew up in Gainesville, Fla., with an emotionally and physically abusive father, filed for bankruptcy in 1979 after legal disputes with his label and lost his house to arson in 1987. He split in 1996 from his first wife, Jane Benyo, after 22 years of marriage and succumbed to drugs and depression.

"In my childhood, I was in such a troubled household," Petty says. "I see why I became a rock 'n' roll fanatic. Music was a safe place."

Petty is a longtime smoker. As he told Men's Journal in 2015, he smoked from the time he was 17 though he had gone down to less than a pack a day. But he didn't bother to pretend he was trying to quit. 

"I'm an addict, man," he said then. 

In June 2010, he was trying to quit, even taking up electric cigarettes, which helped his wife, Dana, quit smoking.

"I've cut way down," he told USA TODAY. "You get vapor and a shot of nicotine, nothing burning."

This story is developing...

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, SocalDinar said:

got backstage and after concert party passes at Irvine once for TP..  Tripped over a cord out back smoking a fatty and unplugged the party tent. LMAO Im an electrician and turned out the lights.  Thanks DT

Thanks for your testimonial, Socal....Ciao, my Friend....

• Upvote 1

'Unique and irreplaceable': tributes to US rock musician Tom Petty – video

Tom Petty, whose hits included American Girl and I Won’t Back Down.........

Source: AP

Tuesday 3 October 2017 15.32 BST

https://www.theguardian.com/music/video/2017/oct/03/tom-petty-talks-about-his-songwriting-process-video

• Upvote 1